Author Topic: A concept.  (Read 1380 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
A concept.
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:05:55 am »
I know this is for the Spore RP section, but it relates to PC games, so I put it here. Would it be possible to make a game using DoGA L-3 to make the models? Something like a space fleet game like Battleships Forever. I could use an RTS game as a base, then use the models made in DoGA to go from there. It's just a thought, I don't think I could convert DoGA models into a format Gmax can use, and I ain't got the money for 3dsMax or Miya (who does these days?).

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: A concept.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:44:25 am »
You'll have to elaborate on what DoGa L-3 is, i'm not familiar with it.

Also, you're referring more to a Total Conversion than a game of its own right, though there's nothing wrong with that. Taking an existing RTS game base and going from there via modding is considerably easier than learning programming and creating all the new resources AND an engine from scratch. The main question is are you willing to see it through to the end? I know i've embarked on a lot of projects and beyond the initial enthusiasm for the idea, they kind of fell flat after I didnt feel it worth my time to put the effort in.

To actually succeed in seeing through one of these projects needs a large investment of time and effort. Ponder on the idea for a week or so and then come back and ask yourself again if you're willing to pursue it.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: A concept.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:34:36 am »
As far as I could find out from Googling, DoGA is a "free" beginner 3D graphics package that looks very limited. 

If you're seriously interested in learning 3D modeling, and have qualms about getting 3DsMax or Maya one way or another, I'd highly suggest getting Blender.  It's free, open source, and a lot more versatile than DoGA.  Having never used DoGA myself, I can't claim to know how easy it is to use, but from what few movies I've been able to find on youtube, you'll be able to design much better in Blender than DoGA. 

And what Luminar said, it's very hard and time consuming to take an existing RTS game and just replace the models and change game rules.  You'll need a lot of time and experience to do that.