Author Topic: Civilization V!  (Read 54383 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Civilization V announced
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2010, 09:49:09 pm »
So I accidentally bought this.

I was checking to see if my father's credit card information that was already in Steam was still valid.

It was.

<___________<

There should have been an extra verification screen.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:42 pm »
A LIKELY STORY!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:24 pm »
Hydro only plays mods that make everything unnecessarily complex and add a ton of content.

I love Rise of Mankind so much.

Its a great mod. I plan to help out with it once we get more info about modding for civ5. That's if Zappra and Afforess actually start making it. I know some of the other modders like Killtech, GeneralStaff, os79 and Civ_Fuehur want to help out too. Now that we have planned out so much for Civ4 it should go a lot faster modding for civ5. Plus Zappra did not have much help when he was first making RoM. And it was only until Afforess did the add-on, AND that the other modders got helping too.

As for unnecessarily complex, well that's why i loved RoM. It really made you have to think and plan and I never have the same game each time I play. Also the games take so long. I have only completed a game maybe twice. Mainly because my game crashes when i get to the modern era. My computer just cannot handle it all.

Will you guys be needing a 3d modeler?

YES! I have some 3D modeling skills but any help would be great since most of the people on the project are programmers and not artists.

For more information on RoM and its future for Civ5 please go to this thread.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2010, 12:57:35 am »
Cool, I might join in as a 3d modeler (although I'm kind of a Jack of all trades, I can also code), now I just need to get my Civ V key to start figuring out how to import/export 3d models and animations on it.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2010, 01:20:38 am »
Cool, I might join in as a 3d modeler (although I'm kind of a Jack of all trades, I can also code), now I just need to get my Civ V key to start figuring out how to import/export 3d models and animations on it.

Awesome. I can XML code but I have not masted SDK stuff yet. But yeah I am also a "Jack of all trades, master of none".

I am mainly waiting for all the new civ5 mod tools that are suppose to come out.

Source
Mod tools:
For those who have read all the interviews, previews and reviews, there has actually been quite a bit of information about modding released. It's just not all in one place, nor is it apparent how it all ties in together. There are five main modding tools that every modder will be able to use.

ModBuddy:
The ModBuddy truly will become your modding buddy. The MB will allow you to generate a mod template, it is the actual IDE that you can use to edit XML, LUA and any other files you add to the mod (except images, explained later). The MB also packages mods for you and will allow you to upload them to the Mod Hub ready for other players. Versioning of your mod is all controlled by MB and all mod parameters are set within MB (for instance, setting other mod dependencies and exceptions). Yes, you can set in your mod what other mods it depends on and what other mods it doesn't work with (so the player will not be able to activate those mods if yours is activated in Civ5).

World Builder:
The much talked about external World Builder. The WB is a totally external application. The WB is similar to the Civ4 WB in that you can create maps and scenarios completely and save them out. But it's MUCH MORE! The new WB is a lot deeper in content and power. You can even tell WB to load a mod so that you can create a scenario based on a particular mod. I will go into much depth in my blog and will post a number of tutorials on how you can get the most out of this very powerful tool after release.

Tuner:
The Tuner is a very interesting mod tool, and let me just say it plays the part of mod debugging fantastically! The tuner is a real-time database manipulator and console of Civ5. It is an external program, but connects to the Civ5 database to allow you to edit the game in progress. However, the modder will find it's power in debugging. In your Lua scripts you can tell it to print to the Tuner console at any time. This allows you to check how variables are being manipulated by your scripts, plus also just to tag that certain parts of your code are reached in certain circumstances. Tuner also allows you to drill into the game database and set any XML field on-the-fly. Let me just say, that whilst you are testing your mod, you will have Tuner running in the background helping with the debugging. And with on-the-fly Lua editing you can check the Tuner's console for your debug info, edit the Lua on-the-fly then watch the changes inside Tuner.

Nexis:
The Nexis is Civ5's image import application. I myself haven't played much with this tool, but what I have seen it will become a powerful addition. With Nexis you will be able to import your graphics from typical applications and export them ready for Civ5. NOTE: There is a propriety DDS compressor in Civ5, so the rules for DDS images have changed. They MUST be uncompressed RGB images with alpha channel. Anything else will fail. The game automatically applies the relevant compression for the type of image that it is so you do not need to worry about it.

Mod Hub:
The Mod Hub is the central repository for Civ5 mods. The MH is hosted by GameSpy and yes, modders will have to have a GameSpy login to upload to the MH (the security to stop anyone from editing your mods). The MH is the link between the modder and the players. The modder will use MB to upload mods to the MH, and players in-game will use the Mod Browser to download those mods. The player can rate and comment (I believe) on mods too. The modder will be able to have a full description of the mod and attach a couple of screenshots to the mod as well to show off the best features of their mod. When a new version of the mod is uploaded to the MH then any player who has that mod installed will receive the new version. The modder can also set if the new version breaks saves, which will notify the player that their old saves are no longer applicable. One of the best things about the mod browser, is that during testing the modder can publish a mod to their system only, so when they go in-game the mod will be able to be activated as if they were a player who had downloaded their mod. This gives them 100% other player experience, from start to finish. The MH also eliminates all those pesky installation questions and problems as it is all automatic when the player enters the mod browser.

I can't wait to get my hands on these. If they turn out to be as good as they say then I will buy Civ5 but until then I am fine with Civ4.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:23:17 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2010, 11:45:15 am »
Just started a marathon game, and even though i'm 250 turns in i've still only got 2 cities and just reached the classical era, this is going to take a while.

At first the pace was stupidly slow, but it's picking up now (several hours in).

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2010, 12:31:31 pm »
I got my key about 1 hour ago, the game downloaded in about 40 minutes, I'm so happy  ;D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2010, 01:03:28 pm »
Picking up the game tomorrow if all goes well......However i have three papers to write, and two books to read over the weekend so play time could be...Limited to say the least.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2010, 06:19:05 pm »
Played a whole quick game in one sitting. Tech victory in 2010 AD. >_>
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2010, 07:10:10 pm »
Thank goodness. Two more years and you would've been done for.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V!
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2010, 10:04:43 pm »
So far I really like the game, much more so than Civ 4.  Combat is better, graphics are better, interface is better, love the fact that tech trading is removed (was so so broken in previous games), love that happiness is now empire wide, love that it feels like I can have large empires where as in Civ 4 I felt the game punished you a bit too much for trying to expand, city states are a great addition, limited resources didn't have any impact in my current game but I love the idea.  I could go on.

There are a few questionable design decisions, though.  Most notably, diplomacy is lacking.  
-  Why can't I see the reasons an AI likes / dislikes me?  
-  Why is there not a screen detailing which Civs are allied / at war with each other?  
-  It seems that once you surpass a certain power point the AI all declare war on you.  On two separate occasions, I settled one city and 3-4 Civilizations instantly declared war on me.  I went back to reload and test it out and, when I don't settle the city, no one declares war, when I do, they all do.  I wonder if the same would have happened if my military was stronger.  

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2010, 07:10:01 am »
I hope pull an all-nighter. (Americans, higest difficulty level 16 hours straight) but I'm also wondering about the console games in this Gen.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2010, 08:01:54 am »
I hope pull an all-nighter. (Americans, higest difficulty level 16 hours straight) but I'm also wondering about the console games in this Gen.
That is not a coherent sentence. Possible solutions: Punctuation, explaining more clearly. Please try again.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2010, 08:05:14 am »
Started my first game, a marathon and went through 175 turns at once. The feeling is not the same as in Civ 4, wether or not this is good or bad I have not yet decided. Anyone know if it is possible to play multiplayer with a cracked copy?
@davidramnero

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2010, 12:10:47 pm »
One of the reasons for the creation of Marathon in Civ 4 was that units, since they only moved 1 tile per turn, would easily become obsolete extremely quickly at the standard speed and even epic speed. However, since units in Civ 5 move like goddamned lightning, Marathon doesn't have the same point, and Epic is pretty much a better solution if you don't want to spend all day pressing the end turn button.

There are a few questionable design decisions, though.  Most notably, diplomacy is lacking. 
-  Why can't I see the reasons an AI likes / dislikes me? 
-  Why is there not a screen detailing which Civs are allied / at war with each other? 
-  It seems that once you surpass a certain power point the AI all declare war on you.  On two separate occasions, I settled one city and 3-4 Civilizations instantly declared war on me.  I went back to reload and test it out and, when I don't settle the city, no one declares war, when I do, they all do.  I wonder if the same would have happened if my military was stronger. 

First of all, diplomacy has never been a strong point in Civ.
1. You can't see whether the AI likes or dislikes you because it makes it more interesting. You don't look at someone in real life and see a screen of +1's and -1's floating above their head. The AI can and will backstab you.
2. Not true, there is a global diplomacy overview. You click the Diplo button in the upper right, click diplomacy overview, then at the top of that screen on the far right is the global overview which shows you the different leaders with their wars/alliances or whatnot with other leaders.
3. The AI is in fact playing to win, and if you're seen as a collective threat, they will tackle you to increase their own chances of victory. You should probably make your army stronger and thereby make yourself less of a target.