Author Topic: Civilization V!  (Read 53839 times)

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V announced
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
Well there lots of great German commanders really. Frederick Barbarossa and Frederick II of Prussia are some well know German Leaders. Or why not Wilhelm the Great? Even Wilhelm II would be interesting choice.

Willhelm Kaiser, the most evil German of all time.

On another note, is Civ a demanding game? Would I be able to play it on a laptop?
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »
You should be able to play it; however, I'd double check your CPU to make sure it is up to snuff.

We were playing a game the other day and I got real bum luck with my starting location. I was on what amounted to a desert island and couldn't do much or make things quickly. Kind of made me wish I could terrorize the other guys (because they were being haughty). :-[

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »
I don't have a laptop atm, was just curious if this game was runnable on a laptop. ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 03:46:18 pm »
i'm running it on a laptop, but then again i have no idea what kind of laptop you've got so i couldn't say

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 10:15:27 pm »
I really hope that they get a 2nd leader for Japan since they seem dead set on keeping Tokugawa in there. At least bring along someone who is a little more willing to negotiate.

Can't think of any other well-known japanese leaders other than Hirohito and I don't exactly think he fits the bill of "willing to negotiate"...

That Minamoto Yo****sune guy from AoE: Age of Kings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamoto_no_Yo****sune

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »
That Minamoto Yo****sune guy from AoE: Age of Kings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamoto_no_Yo****sune

Really blows when that happens, doesn't it? :(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 05:33:32 am »
I assume the missing word is ****?

Rather than ****, I mean.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »
Yeah, it's definitely ****.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »
Hmm... Yo5hitsune?

Close enough.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »
Here, have a huge quote.
These are reports made by CivFanatics members, made from magazine info apparently.

Quote from: CivFanatics
Swedish PC Gamer, as reported by Danielos:

About 50 persons are currently working on the game, which has been in development for over two years, but is now reaching the final phases.

City states:
These are small, AI-controlled civilizations. They never grow big and doesn“t desire to win. The player must choose if he is to be friendly, indifferent or hostile towards a city state. The attitude you has towards a particular city state will have a big effect on diplomacy. If for example your units is approaching a city state that have friendly relations with another civilization, he will warn you, and if you ignore them, there will be consequences.

Barbarians:
The barbarians originate from a barbarian city and will get more advanced units later in the game. You need to wipe out all barbarian cities to get rid of the barbarian hordes.

City expansion:
Borders does no longer expand in large areas, but one hex at a time. Remote hexes like marshes, forests and mountains will be harder to acquire.

Economy:
You can invest money in your neighboring hexagons, for example trying to acquire an important resource before your opponent.

Research:
You can also sign a research-deal with another civilization. This way, both civs will cooperate to reach the new technology and both will gain it when the discovery is made. This was included to encourage cooperation between civilizations.

Diplomacy:
The civilizations will have an all-new advanced AI. All opponents will have fixed characteristics. Based on this unique personality, every AI-player will have their own agenda, which the AI will use to plan how to best play to win the game. But there will also be a certain randomness to avoid having the AI be too easy to predict.

Computer Bild Spiele, as reported by Civinator:

Tech trading is abolished.

Alliances give special boni (per example the possibility for a quicker research of a technology)
Cut-out of religions as known in Civ 4 confirmed

Cities can grow bigger than in former versions of the civ series as they there are 3 tiles for a city in every direction to be worked on.

New troops must leave a city at once, as there is only one unit per tile

Distance fighters (archers, artillery and so on) can shoot over the front units, lakes and other tiles

One philosophy is to form front lines for battles far away from the cities.

GamePro, as reported by dc82:

Leaders/Civs
German leader: Otto von Bismark
China leader: Wu Zeitein/Zetein
American leader: Washington
Japanese leader: Oba Nobunaga
Arabian leader: Harun al-Rashid
Other confirmed leaders mentioned in the article (Genghis Khan, Caesar, Napoleon, Gandhi)

Units
Basic military units move two tiles in combat instead of one.

Oda Nobunaga. So there really is a God.
Thanks, bro.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »
Wait... Units can't stay inside cities?  Won't that... you know, make defending a city nigh to impossible.  If military units have a two square reach, that would mean that even with six units to guard with an attacker can just waltz right through?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 10:51:26 pm »
Its Sid Meier, he knows what he is doing.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 12:01:34 am »
One unit per hex. YES! :D

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 04:51:39 am »
I though Oda Nobunaga might make a good leader for japan. They spelled his name wrong however >_>(I mean common! Oba!)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 05:45:48 am »
One unit per hex. YES! :D

No, yeah, that's a very good thing. No more stupid billion stacks of archers sitting their dumb asses on the enemy city and making it impenetrable.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.