Author Topic: [AC] A Plethora of Singularities  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
[AC] A Plethora of Singularities
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:10:38 am »
The corridors' walls hummed innocuously as the vessel swam through the relative vacuum of interstellar space. It had been a while since the craft's photonics masts displayed a different reading, and nothing within the crew's current flightpath was going to change that some time soon.

It was almost time for An Zintra 02-01-5206667's routine check up of the vessel's data inventory. An Sama would be expecting their arrival within the month, and it isn't good business to deliver a package that had a bug or two nestled between it's contents. As such, he began to diligently comb through the documents when the time finally came.

An Zintra 04-06-4114303, on the other hand, performed his task in a relatively lenient manner, mapping the stagnant scenery around them with melancholy. It's not that he wasn't paying attention to his job, he was just bored out of his mind by the utter monotony of seeing the same image every single day since they left for An.

His brother, An Zintra 04-06-4114304, however, dealt with things quite solemnly, always on the ready to protect the crew from any projectiles that might cross their path.

Meanwhile, at the very heart of the craft, An Zintra 03-12-5508 was monitoring the activities of everyone on board. As they all had a mostly singular will, he was the closest the personnel had to a leader. And he made sure to act like one, making especially sure that the people down in the warp generator weren't slacking off too much. Any major malfunction in the machine would cause the compressed space in front of them to unravel, without a doubt shattering their vehicle into a trillion microscopic pieces.

Considering the extremely high risks regarding their current operation, everything was actually going quite smoothly, for the most part. Everyone was already expecting a safe, yet rather uneventful, return trip once they've finished with what they came for.

If only they foresaw the chain of events that would soon transpire before them.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
Re: [AC] A Plethora of Singularities
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:39 pm »
Crystalia Prime

While deep space exploration occured on its own, there was significant probing done of the sky, which was relatively new, considering their relative disinterest in a sky that they can barely, if at all, see.  Massive, round satellite dishes, either sunken into the ground or on motors to adjust where it looked into the night sky.  They were not looking for anything in particular, and for the most part the public did not care for these things, since sometimes they interfered with their electromagnetic senses.  However, as they watched different parts of the sky, they picked up a very strong signal of unusual properties.

The spot in the sky was nothing like they had ever seen before.  It was massive, but the composition of the material it was made of was quasi-organic.  It appeared to be a large, single entity.  Opinions were put forth, but the only way really to see what it is exactly was to go and see it for themselves.  A chain of command was drafted, and they were sent on their way.

An Sama
It had been many months since the beginning of their mission.  The readings on the system kept getting stronger and stronger, until the came face to face with the giant creature.  It was like a huge black sphere.  And that was pretty much it. 

They launched a probe to the surface to take a look at surface conditions.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »
Deep Space

Far Reacher was the first Slorvian colony vessel to be completed, and, as such, had been given an FTL drive as soon as possible. Colonists and pioneers were rounded up from all over the Slorvian home system. There were a lot of pioneers, and all of it was made possible because of the size of the Slorvian vessel. It was a true testament to the Slorvian industrial capacity. It had taken only a few months to construct the giant space ship, and there were several others already in the line of production. The Slorv race was planning on a fast expansion, and they were not going to cut any corners doing it. They had rapidly expanded to the limits of their home system using only their limited technology, but now that they had the ability to travel far and wide, they were going to do their best to colonize and explore as much as possible.

There was loads of profit to be made in the depths of space.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:39 am »
An Sama

As the probe analyzed the surface's characteristics, something began to awaken deep within the interior of the mysterious object, hidden from the Crystalions' view.

An Sama Core

I feel something is near...

Today's the fourth, yes?

Hmm... It must be the interactive movies I ordered a year ago.

"Wait. Something's not right here."

This feels, different...

Too, different...

An Sama

Back at the surface, small sensors embedded into the plating captured the image of a strange spacecraft of unknown origin. It seemed to be looking for something, though An Sama wasn't exactly sure.

Pointing some of his more powerful photonics masts towards space, his attention switched to a similar, yet quite larger object, or set of objects, he wasn't really certain.

Uh huh...

The ground began to move sideways as a port hole the size of the probe began to make itself apparent. From the hole appeared a long metallic tentacle with a spherical device attached on it's end. It promptly attempted to elicit the probe's attention as it let out a stream of gas into the cold vacuum and projected a life-like image of a standard Viri Voltei.

Elsewhere, transmitters facing the Crystallion vessels began to let out a message in the form of radio.

~//Who might you people be?//

He wasn't sure if they'd understand the message or not, but he had to start somewhere at least.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:51:19 am by Yuu »

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:39 am »
An Sama
The large blackness had responded to the probe being near it.  There was no doubt that it was alive now, as response to stimulus is one of the biggest components.  It then did something weird.  A tentacle of sorts had come out from the surface, and was producing vaoprs, as well as project an image of another being.  Perhaps this image was of the beings controlling the large black sphere?  Soon after, a transmission was sent from the planet.  It was able to be translated, since it had emotion behind it, unlike Chara'ai transmissions in the distant Yerxe sector.

//Hello.  We are Crystalion people.  We have sensed this large black sphere of yours from our planet, in sector (3,0).  We are curious about it.  Is the image you project of people controlling this?//

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:18:37 am »
An Sama

An Sama was relieved to find out that the visitors can understand Viri Adineian. They seemed pretty good at it too.

//Greetings. I'm Viri An Sama, the person who lives in the sphere.

You people are Crystalion, yes? And you detected the radio waves the vessel's been emitting?

Neat!

Oh, and you were asking about the projection, yes... Hmm, how should I say this?

You see, long long ago this object used to be a small generational craft full of lots of people like the ones I'm projecting right now. But eventually, they decided to combine themselves into a single person.

And I'm basically the end product of that.

I can tell you more about it if you like.//

An Sama paused for a while, thinking of what to add.

//In the meantime, can I get you anything?

I have some spare matter and energy in case you need to repair or refuel.//

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:42:09 am »
An Sama

//We generate our own power, and our metals are our own creation.  So it would seem that you are many, yet one?  That has to be more efficient at getting things done.  We, as we communicate, share chemicals that can instigate similar emotional responses from others.  In a sense we combine, but clearly not like you have.//  The two captains exchanged looks.  They figured they aught to ask the next question.

//An Sama, would it at all be possible for us to send our captains to you for more face to face talks?  Communicating by radio is indeed very awkward for us, since we can't share our emotions, and if we were to be in physical contact, we could speak in clearer meanings, and at a faster rate.//

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:16 am »
An Sama

//Sure thing! It'll be my pleasure!//

He paused for a few seconds, just in case he forgot something important. And then it struck him.

He recalled how after meeting the leader of the An Aiueo, the being said something about his predecessors requiring something they liked to call an atmosphere, which they used for a process called breathing.

//Though, first, I'd like to ask something, if you don't mind.

Do your people need something called an, atmosphere? If so, I might be able to reproduce it inside my hallways so you wouldn't need to wear hazmat suits, or something like that. That is, if it isn't too complex or anything.

Oh, and don't worry about microscopic contaminants, I sterilize the hallways every two planetary rotations.//

Just then, the surface near the probe shook again, this time revealing an exceptionally larger passage.

//Anyways, I've opened up a passage for you. Just follow the black floating sphere-like things, and they'll lead you straight to the bridge.//

Several small objects which fit An Sama's description appeared near the entrance, waiting for the visitor's to enter.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 09:09:01 am »
An Sama
//We will require atmosphere.  Just a basic nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere.//

The captains left for a scout, which detached from the side of the main craft and headed into the interior of the being called the Viri An Sama, but in the Crystalion thought processes, it will be known as the Plated Blackness.

The scout went into the dark interior of the Plated Blackness.  The scout maneuvered through the hallways, the captains taking passive scans of the interior for later study.

They soon reached a large spherical room with large ball things in various ports.  The scout stopped and hovered.  //An Sama, we have reached your interior.  Where in the room would be a good place for us to be in physical contact with you?//

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 09:26:17 am »
An Sama

//Over here, guys!//

The holographic projectors placed all across the room began emitting light showing multiple images of Viri Voltei, all of them pointing towards the sphere located at the very edge of the central walkway.

//That's basically me, the central computer.

By the way, it's nice to meet you people in person.//

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:59 am »
An Sama Core
The scout set down on the main walkway and opened up and allowed the two captains to roll out.  The crawled across the walkway, and up to the main computer.  They then unraveled all the crystal fibers into their bodies, where on the inside they formed a tight knot of them to store whatever An Sama would tell them.  Then, they got right up to the computer, and all the fibers came out in a single crystal, where it touched the computer.  It then wrapped around the sphere like vines, until a good area was taken up by the two captains.  Their bodies then formed a small bubble over the center of their respective networks.

~//Plated Blackness, we are in contact with you.  We hope that you can feel our electrical pulses, as well as the emotion chemicals we secrete.  If you can hear us, we need you to simply think of yourself, and we can do the rest.//~

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 02:30:09 am »
An Sama Core

An Sama did as the captains told, and as he traveled deeper and deeper into his mind, a strange, yet familiar, feeling overcame his consciousness.

It feels new, yet so familiar...

Viri Voltei communicate in a similar way, also via electrical impulses. Truth be told, though, he wasn't able to quickly grasp the meaning of the chemicals the Crystalion were secreting. This was easily solved, however, when the bond between him and the two captains finally solidified.

Ah, yes...

A mind link.

Let's see...

An Sama's thoughts flew towards the main archives. It contained a comprehensive history of the vessel, from it's humble origins right up to it's current predicament, including it's encounters with the other Viri Isa.

A sense of nostalgia ran across his mind as he remembered the moment he was formed. It seemed to him like it happened just several moments ago. He also felt the same sensation as he saw recordings of his first encounter with the other singularities, which really gave him a huge sigh of relief, knowing that their race was secured from extinction, and not to mention flourishing.

~//Amazing, this feels wonderful!

You two getting a good reception on your side so far?

Just tell me if I need to adjust the frequency.//

Deep Space

An Zintra 04-06-4114303 spit out the metal beads he just put inside his mouth after realizing what was showing on his view screen.

"No, no, that can't be..."

Could it?

At the very heart of the craft, An Zintra 03-12-5508 realized what was happening. He, and later so did the others, sensed a moment of shock in An Zintra 04-06-4114303's mind.

//04-06-4114303, what's going on up there?!// 03-12-5508 said to 04-06-4114303.

//There seems to be some kind of gravitational lensing going on not too far away from us!// He replied, still not sure exactly what was happening.

Warp generator personnel! Status report!, ordered the crew's collective conscience.

//All sections clear! There doesn't seem to be any effect on the generator's functioning, but the meters are picking up a massive distortion in our vicinity!//

Send me the results!

The gestalt scanned through the findings while figuratively scratching it's head.

The readings were quite high, but still not enough to be a blackhole.

And then he realized...

It's too small to be a gravitational singularity, this could only mean one thing!

Open the travel logs! Let's see if there's other vessels supposed to be passing through this place...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:32:01 am by Yuu »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 08:03:50 pm »
Deep Space

Far Reacher's FTL shut down at the designated spot, pulling it back into normal space quite a distance away from the star system they had been heading towards. Captain Duvni sat in his command chair reading all the information that was pouring onto his view screen. They had planned for this, since they were still relatively unsure of how accurate the FTL drives were. Small miscalculations for long distance traveling could turn into large errors which could lead to death. So the scientists and navigators had agreed that it would be better to plot a course to the outer area of a system to judge the accuracy. Afterwards they could always make another jump further into the system. It was better to be safe, than sorry.

Everything was going according to Captain Duvni's plan. The FTL drives were almost 99.999% accurate, and according to their travel logs they were only several AU's away from their intended target. This was all measured relatively, of course, but it was still a good sign. The thing that caught Duvni off guard was that there were numerous radio signals being detected by the communications gear.

That's not supposed to be happening... he thought to himself as he double checked the readings. Unless there are some Vantry already within this system. Things could get ugly if that happens. He had specific orders to stay away from any Vantry ships since it was reported that they were in the middle of a civil war. They didn't want any Slorv casualties in this war. There's always the possibility that it's from another race altogether. Duvni thought to himself as he pounded away at his computer console.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 06:48:38 am »
Deep Space

Nothing's supposed to be here...

Moments later, a string-like blip in the fabric of space can barely be detected as the vessel's warp generator shifted to it's lowest power. The crew has decided that the anomaly warranted further investigation.

As the craft slowed down to a relativistic crawl, it released a small probe and directed it towards the anomaly, ready to relay information when it finally came into the peculiarity's range.

Back inside the cargo vessel, the people working the propulsion systems were on standby, ready to jump into FTL at a moment's notice in case things don't go their way.

Meanwhile, 04-06-4114304 began to, one by one, prime a small complement of kinetic weaponry.

"Better safe than sorry...", he said.

Well then...

I'm afraid all we can do now is wait...

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
Deep Space

Captain Duvni stared at the signals that were coming up on his display. There was something out there, but he wasn't sure what. The chances of randomly stumbling upon an unidentified target this far out in space were astronomical. One of those times were you wondered if it was more than just coincidence. Unless there were more random objects in the depth of space than previously thought.

Duvni wasn't sure if it was intelligent, even though there appeared to be radio signals coming from it. He wasn't quite sure what to do. He had a large Slorv civilian population on board. Precious cargo. Everything in his mind was telling him to continue on with the mission, but he just couldn't. So he quickly composed a radio message and sent it on its way.

//Unknown object. Is this a sentient object?//