Author Topic: The Grand RP Volume V - The Deep West  (Read 14228 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
The Grand RP Volume V - The Deep West
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:52:45 pm »
The world has turned since the times when people pushed at the borders of the known in search of wealth and adventure.  Gone are the wide, lawless prairies and the dusty ranches.  But that which turns inevitably comes back around, though it may be different on the surface, whether a step forward or a step back, it is the underlying human spirit the defines places and ages.  Pioneers once more strike out for the unknown, and while technology eases some burdens, it cannot eliminate them.

Thus is the mining base of Costa Tira, deployed thousands of feet below the surface off the coast of California at the site of the greatest concentrations of neodymium ever discovered.  While the useful material has drawn the eyes of corporations the world over, it was an independent group that staked the claim.  Many of the hundred or so residents own shares of the mine and bet everything on it when the quite substantial loans were taken out to pay for the expensive construction of an undersea habitat and mine.  Even those who haven't staked their livelihood for decades to come on the mine can't think of it as just another job, as while the cargo train can reach a city in minutes on it's maglev tracks, humans must decompress for days to avoid the crippling and possilby deadly buildup of nitrogen in the blood.  The handful of other mines, research outposts, and occasional resort scattered across the floor of the pacific are a small comfort to the tight knit group.  So close and yet so far is term that few truly understand, but Costa Tira has taken it to heart.

Five years have passed since the mine's opening.  The community has settled and grown together, a microcosm of smaller businesses springing up in the habitat outside of the mine proper.  Everybody knows everybody and the token security team has never had to deal with more than a shouting match between neighbors.

Carter lean back contemplatively in his seat, taking a long drag off his cigarette before blowing a practiced ring in the general direction of the filter.  Engineering had been on his ass for weeks about the havoc his habit played with the air scrubbers, but the filter was the only concession he'd made to them.  It wasn't as though they'd be his problem for long.  Ostensibly, he was there as a safety inspector.  By law, this was true, because freelance underwater mines had been around for so short a time that the government was still squabbling over what the regulations should actually be, leaving a situation where you could be qualified as an inspector in less than a month.  By motive...  Well, the air scrubbers breaking didn't enter into his list of things to give a damn about.

Briefly he considered stopping into the tavern to while away a few more hours, maybe get into a card game, but the thought was discarded.  It wouldn't do to get attached.

Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand RP Volume V - The Deep West
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:05:44 pm »
It was just a usual day off for Judas, and as usual he was spending most of it in the saloon sitting at a round table with a few gullible saps dumb enough to play him in cards. Judas knew his way around a card table, always taking home the most money without arising suspicion, it was his way, if not for the money then just for the simple fun of getting away with it. As the group were playing the final hand Judas slipped the very card he needed from under his sleeve before laying them down. "Royal flush...nice playing with ya fellas" He said in his scratchy deep voice as he cleaned the table and took a seat at the bar.

He ordered a glass of scotch and quickly took a large swig of it while keeping an eye on the owner Madison. If there was one thing Judas believed would make Costa Tira better it would be more women. Pickings were pretty slim down there and he much preferred Madison's company to the sickly girl. Pulling a tooth pick from the pocket of his white suit jacket and placing it in his mouth he threw one arm causally over the back of his chair. "So, sweetheart...when are you gonna let me teach you to play cards?" It was one of many lines he used on her, he had a new one each day and none of them ever worked, of course he didn't expect them to. It was fun little game he liked to play with her. As with most things, It was all a game to Judas.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:11:23 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:20:20 pm »
A rasping sound from the shadows at the left end of the bar near Judas announced the presence of either a man with a dry throat, or one who wanted to get Judas's attention. Possibly both.

The dim light reflected briefly off a blue-grey straight razor as the figure slouching on the corner stool sheared the end off a cigar.

"I reckon a man could spend a lifetime gambling and not see a royal flush more'n once."

The figure struck a match and lit the cigar clamped between his crooked teeth, his face briefly illuminated in the glow of the match-light, his grizzled face outlined against the dark wall behind him.
The illumination faded as Doc Razor clamped his fingers across the match head and took a drag of the cigar, causing the end to glow cherry-red.

"And yit with you it seems to be a weekly occasion. Most peculiar run of fortune you're presidin' over, wouldn'tcha say?"

The end of the cigar glowed the colour of a freshly boiled crab, and a plume of smoke like a deep sea vent curled above the quiet bar.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:23:45 pm by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Zolinn

• Zork Emperor
  • In Soviet Russia, Mario Plays You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:44:03 pm »
"Subject 167." Riley mutters to herself, the gas mask altering the sound of her voice. "Testing a new vaccine." She transferred the serum she had been working on into a syringe.

Everything in her room was in perfect order. Papers were organized into tidy piles that were easy to navigate through. Her bed was made and tucked in. Her floor was clear of any debris. Any small parts that would've been on the floor were instead filed into bins, organized by size, shape, and color. Several test tubes lined up on a table along one of her walls. Several rodents were lined up in cages adjacent to the table. Small labels were on the cages, dictating which animal was which. Along the opposite wall, she had several filing cabinets, all loaded to the brim with thousands of structural designs and blueprints.

Riley reached into one of the cages and pulled out a rat. She firmly held it down on the table as it resisted, attempting to scurry away. The needle slid in easily and the injection quickly passed through the animals body. She patted the rat on the head and placed it back in its cage, locking the door behind it. She then took up a clipboard and moved throughout the cages marking the paper. She blandly checked off boxes next to the rats.

Often, the rats showed no change. They behaved normally and when they were exposed to disease, became ill just as quickly as any other rat. Occasionally she stumbled across a rat who ended up dead. At that point she remembered why she always tested on animals first. One rat, however, interested her more than the others. This rat had been exposed to disease for two weeks now and showed no signs pointing towards death. It was just as healthy as a newly introduced rat.

"Interesting..." She piled the serum next to the rat into the syringe and placed it on the table. She took her glove off and pulled her sleeve back. In one quick movement, she inserted the needle into her arm, unloaded the serum, and pulled it back out. After bandaging up the wound, she pulled her sleeve down and put her glove back on. After the glove snapped in place, she turned back to her desk, noticing the unfinished blueprint on the desk. "Alas, work has to be done." She sat herself at the desk, took out a pencil, and began to work on her newest creation.

Offline bad Karma

• Phoenix Fighter
  • It's not me, it's you. I'm not sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »
Gary walked into the saloon. His hands were dirty for he had spent an hour repairing pipes which had broken. He took a seat and ordered a shot of whisky, before slumping over the bar after gulping it down whole. He then spent his time distracted by the people in the saloon. People talking, Playing cards, and general fun loving activities.

He'd finished the majority of his work and had nothing to do for the moment, so he had enough time to socialize, if he could be bothered to try.

Offline SerenityGrace

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »
Today was a good day for Madison, the saloon was almost full and that meant that so would her cashregister. Good old Judas had just scammed another group of poker players, but she didn't mind. He normally would only prey on those that she knew could afford it and he always did leave a good tip. So she let it past as long as he didn't scam anyone that needed to win. She got use to turning him down a long time ago and now would just wait to hear his pickup lines, a new joke everyday. 

"So, sweetheart...when are you gonna let me teach you to play cards?"

It wasn't his best, but it wasn't his worse, Madison just smiled and walked on by. She went behind the bar where she served a shot of whisky to the man that just walked in. He gulped it down fast, and turned to watch the others. "So there honey, did you need another one?" Madison asked in her thick southern accent. He sure looked like he did.

Meanwhile she made sure to keep her eye on Judas, old doc had just called him out as a cheater and she didn't want this good day to go south.
Go away now. You are boring me.

Click my frackin eggs! >:(

............. Pweese O_O

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 06:01:30 pm »
Hearing the voice Judas turned slowly around on his seat, calmly chewing on the tooth pick he remained silent for a few moments before taking another swig of scotch slamming his glass down on the counter. "Luck" he said flicking his tooth pick in to a nearby trash can. "Had it my whole life" he continued as Some of the patrons had gone silent and were watching the situation, it was rare something interesting ever happened but Doc was not one to mess with, and no one had ever accused Judas of cheating before even if they had suspected it.

"Whats it your business anyway?" Judas added in a not so friendly tone. It was his day off and he never did like Doc, or anyone for that matter that would stick their nose where it didn't belong.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
"Chance of a hand like that is six hundred and forty-nine thousand seven hundred and forty to one against kid." said Doc, leaning forward so his face was a mere fraction of an inch from Judas's and placing his hand firmly on his right shoulder.

"I'd hate to be around when that kind of luck turns."

Standing slowly, he patted Judas on the cheek and walked languidely out through the two swinging saloon doors, and into the abyssal night.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 07:00:31 pm »
"With any luck at all, you wont be..." Judas mumbled as Doc left the saloon. In a more bitter mood then before he finished down his scotch stood up and walked over to Madison and placed a nice sized bill between her breast and the top of her dress, making sure to pat the front part afterward, he gave her a wink and a half smile as he walked away and out of the saloon.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »
"Are you kidding?! I'm the one making you stand here not doing your work!" Daniel was shouting back at one of the miners.

"We haven't had such poor production 'til you showed up a couple months ago, Flaskmonkey!"

"Ffffff---fah! If you can work with your fellow miners, what's the difference of an extra pair of eyes!? I almost have the nerve to report your laziness to one of the foremen!"

"Oh yeah, who are they going to believe, me, a faithful miner who's been working here for years, or you, a Flaskmonkey who showed up less than a year ago!"

Grinding his teeth and his face turning red, Daniel pulls out a match and lights it against the miner's drill. The resulting flame causes the neodymium dust to ignite and puff with a small explosion, not surprising the miner as much as he expected. Throwing down the match, Daniel storms out of the mine.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:33:09 pm by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline bad Karma

• Phoenix Fighter
  • It's not me, it's you. I'm not sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »
Gary pondered the conversation that had gained the attention of almost everybody, while being brief and almost unnoticeable if it involved anyone else. He looked up at the bartender and payed for the whisky, and ordered another shot.

"I don't want to know what that's all about, yet I cannot help but wonder what it was about." He mumbled at the bartender, unsure of catching her attention.

He swigged down the second shot then payed for the drink.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:31:15 pm »
The company car had dropped Rufus Geier off near the tram station and he walked toward the main entrance. Before him, the words "Costa Tira", illuminated by a cold florescent light, loomed large amidst the backdrop of twinkling stars. Behind him, the car he had arrived him slowly made its way around a cement circle and then rolled to a stop. One of the luxury sedan's rear windows slid down and someone wearing a shiny gold watch pointed in the finance director's general direction.

"I don't want any more of your crazy concessions, Geier! The shareholders are getting pissed and if they go to one of our competitors it'll be your ass! If any of those foremen come to you with problems just stonewall them. I don't need some idiot with a name he got off of an electric shaver setting the tone of our negotiations. Shut him down and bring us the numbers the clients want!"

Without turning to face his superior, Rufus nodded and then continued into the tram station. The last car of the week was boarding and he hastily ran to a seat. Looking about, Rufus realized that it was just him and the tram security guard. He didn't like traveling down to Costa Tira on the red eye. In fact, were it not for the tongue lashing his boss had just given him, he was going to just call the mine from the station and then head home to his family to surprise them. But apparently that wasn't in the cards. The security guard mumbled something into his radio and the tram doors closed with a loud hissing sound. A few moments later the vehicle had left the station and was racing across the suspended rail line that would bring them into position above the mine.

Rufus quietly cleared his throat and ran his hands down the front of his neatly-pressed suit. He wiggled his tie tight and then began to tap on his briefcase. The tram lurched a bit and slowed to a crawl. Another shudder signaled that the tram had begun its descent and starry night sky was quickly replaced with an endless black ocean.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:00 pm »
It'd been a long day.  An uneventful day, but productive.  If there was one thing that Costa Tira could do without, it was paperwork.  There was always paperwork to do.  It actually suprised Tracy how much paperwork accumulated despite the fact that they rarely had any real work to do.  One of life's little mysteries.

But it was quiet, and it gave Tracy time to think.  Fred and Kate's daughter was turning 4 this week.  He'd have to give his regards.  Mr Geier was due back from the surface by tommorrow.  He'd have to check in and see how the trip was.  Ms. Perry's apples would be ripe soon.  He'd have to drop by and see if he couldn't get her to bake him one of her famous pies.  Busy, busy, busy, but it was a good busy.  Tracy wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Calmly striding into the saloon, Tracy took up his usual seat at the bar.  "Evenin' Madison," he said cheerfully with a smile, "Might I trouble you for a drink?"  Turning to the two other men at the bar, he nodded to them in acknowledgement, as he did most nights.  "Judas.  Gary."

Turning forward again, he took a long slow breath, allowing the woody, smokey smell of the saloon fill his nose.  This was paradise.  No questions.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Zolinn

• Zork Emperor
  • In Soviet Russia, Mario Plays You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:07:19 am »
"Complete." Riley held the blueprint up, examining the detail of the plans. After double checking her math and her marks, she nodded with contentment and stuffed it into a tube. She threw it under her arm and opened up her bedroom door. She adjusted her mask as she walked down the hallway, ensuring that it was secure. She headed downstairs and turned into a corner. A large, sealed, plastic wall stood in front of her. A man stood behind the wall, patiently waiting. She opened up a slot in the wall and carefully slid the blueprints through the hole. The man took the blueprints as Riley closed the slot behind her. "A pleasure doing business with you." The man nodded back and headed out her door. She took a deep breath as the door shut behind him.

She casually walked back upstairs and closed her bedroom door behind her. As she headed back to her desk, she heard an odd-sounding squeak. Her head quickly spun around. "167." She quickly headed over to the rat cages and searched through the numbers. "Deceased..." She stopped at the cage and stared in, noticing the rat was not moving. She moved around the cage lightly, waiting for movement. As it remained motionless, she marked off deceased on the clipboard and let out a sigh. She picked up the vial of serum next to the rats cage. She moved over to the lab table, placed the vial down, and began to take notes. After carefully examining the vial and the rats previous health, she paused in her writing. "4 hours. A 4 hour boost." She blankly stated, dropping the pencil on the table.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:13:43 am by Zolinn »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »
Costa Tira's well-lit tram station sat quietly at the bottom of the sea. A small group of people waited patiently for the last car to arrive to take them back to the surface. Unlike the ride down, which was relatively quick, the ride back took several days. One of the would-be passengers pointed up through the transparent ceiling of the tram station toward a twinkling white light. Slowly, the group gathered their things and headed toward the platform. The tram car disappeared into an airlock and then silently slid into the facility. A loud hiss filled the air followed by a billowing cloud of white vapor. Rufus stepped out of the cloud, briefcase in hand, and nodded to the miners. A few of them returned the nod but most ignored it. Rufus headed toward check-in as the miners noisily clamored about behind him. The tram let out another loud hiss and the doors slammed shut. Silently, the tram car left the station and Rufus was alone once again.

His shiny black shoes tapped against the worn tile floor of the station and the sound echoed all around. Rufus cleared his throat and removed an ID card from his breast pocket. He slid it through a reader and then walked over to a massive bulkhead. A green light flickered on and the giant door began to open. The security attendant watching the door waved at Rufus from behind his safety glass and pressed the intercom button.

"Welcome back, Mr. Geier!"

Smiling, Rufus waved and then stepped over the threshold. He took a deep breath of Costa Tira's unique air and then continue onward into the facility.