Author Topic: [AC] Cascade of Reason OOC  (Read 8716 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
[AC] Cascade of Reason OOC
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »
RP is Here

A bit too soon? I don't know. I want to make it official. I'm less likely to back out if there's already a thread.  :D

If anyone else is in the area of Sector Alpha 1,1 (see map), I suppose you could join to make this a three-participant RP.

So far what's the plan? Depending on how far the systems are apart, radio broadcasts from Tuul may or may not have reached Kota yet. If they have FTL, then perhaps the generation ship could pick it up as it was traveling?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:49:50 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: [AC] Kota Coalition-Phaaruun First Contact OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:45:06 pm »
Not too soon, I have a general plan, I just need to explain their government and draw the ship. I know the Kota don't use enough radio to be detectable, its a question really of whether or not the Phaaruun still use radio. I'd like like the ship to be a colony ship, with no idea that the Phaaruuns are there, and I think around 10 or twenty ly's would be a good distance. They don't have FTL, I thought I could do a brief summary of their voyage in the first post, then we could RP first contact from there.
Another thing we could do is have other members RP as Kosong through the voyage(probably only a page or two), and then shift to captain-Phaaruun RP when they arrive in-system.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 04:01:32 pm »
Not having FTL will take too long. Being 10 to 20 light years apart doesn't allow for any real expansion.

One of you must have FTL for the RP to make sense, otherwise, it's too slow.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »
The generation ship doesn't need to have contact with the homeworld to make first contact. Perhaps me and grievi could rp, then yuu could come in with an ftl ship?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:16:28 pm »
Not too soon, I have a general plan, I just need to explain their government and draw the ship. I know the Kota don't use enough radio to be detectable, its a question really of whether or not the Phaaruun still use radio. I'd like like the ship to be a colony ship, with no idea that the Phaaruuns are there, and I think around 10 or twenty ly's would be a good distance. They don't have FTL, I thought I could do a brief summary of their voyage in the first post, then we could RP first contact from there.
Another thing we could do is have other members RP as Kosong through the voyage(probably only a page or two), and then shift to captain-Phaaruun RP when they arrive in-system.

They don't use radio as much as Humans do, but there is constant radio messaging between Aamuure and Uunaam. I'd say they've been using it in a detectable state for only about 50 earth years. That leaves about 40 Earth years max (if they were 10 lightyears apart), for the Kota to have randomly picked it up. Even if they were actively scanning multiple stars at a time, the chances of them recieving a transmission are quite low. The Kota would likely become aware of the signals once they got close enough, though. I'd say within a lightyear or less.

Which brings the question of whether they were actively scanning nearby stars for radio frequencies, even though the Kota don't realy use radio. Would they think of listening for it?

Not having FTL will take too long. Being 10 to 20 light years apart doesn't allow for any real expansion.

One of you must have FTL for the RP to make sense, otherwise, it's too slow.

Hmm... I suppose if all else failed, I could bump the Phaaruun up by a Tech Level, give them primitive FTL. They're not the scientific type, though. Beyond idle curiosity and a need for more living space, they realy have no drive to advance further. Perhaps we could bring in a third race with FTL? EDIT: Clarke beat me to it.

But yeah, even 20 lightyears seems rather close, now that I think of it. A sector is, what, 500 lightyears? We'd practically be on top of each other on the map.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:27:00 pm »
Yuu is too far, he is over between the Slorv and Vantry.

A single sector is indeed 500x500 light years. Your homeworlds would essentially be ten pixels apart, because each pixel is a square light year. It's too small of a distance to not be difficult to manage on the map itself.

The two possibilities for FTL contact, without bumping up either of your civilizations, is the Chara'Ai or the Vantry. The Chara'Ai because they'll be coming near you as they circle the core. The Vantry because they've been exploring like mad for years.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »
I'll PM Kitkat, see if he wants in. Unless you do, Razon?

I think it would be best if we still had the homeworlds in the same sector, but more like 100 lightyears apart.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
I suppose a generation ship could survive one hundred light years. Kitkat sound good.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:43:01 pm »
If I would stop posting to these topics, I'd have time to finish my update on the map post, since I already uploaded the new maps.

The problem lies in how many radio signals the two give off, both for the Chara'Ai and the Vantry. Finding one of them is easy. Finding both the Kota and the Pharuun is difficult. It's another Hydron-Vantry-Slorv conundrum. It's nearly impossible to have the Kota and Pharuun meet without either of them having FTL, as in the case of the Hydron-Vantry-Slorv.

I'm currently thinking of ways to get around this problem, if you guys don't want them to have discovered FTL on their own.

The problem of the generation ship is that it is slow. To cover 100 light years at 0.05c, it would take 2000 Earth years to make the journey. This means they would've had to have left 2000 years before "present" galactic time, if they could move at 5% the speed of light. Then, using radio only, they would have to make contact with the homeworld in 100 years.

The main issue I with the whole thing is that it would left 2000 years or more in the past. The amount of advances made during that 2000 years would mean FTL would be invented anyway, most likely, making the generation ship foolhardy. There is just a list of problems involved when you start saying things happened that far back.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »
Kitkat has agreed to join, but yes, it's another problem.

Here's my 2 cents; we break up the RP into two parts. Part one involves The Chara'ai giving one of the two races FTL or at least inspiring them. Part two involves said race contacting the other.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 04:55:30 pm »
The only logical thing in that result is that the Chara'Ai find the Kota Coalition first, because they are closer. But this beckons the issue of why the first probe to the Yerxe missed them, unless it went around the core, and the other probe goes clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. Another difficulty is how the Chara'Ai would give FTL to the Kota, when Kitkat so far has displayed the Chara'Ai as being basically incapable of communication.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 04:57:36 pm »
Observation and some crazy theories plus a desire to find what else is out there?

Dissecting a probe?  ???

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:57:43 pm »
I did want one of the ships to be involved in a planetary crash, maybe the discovery of FTL could revolve around that.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 04:59:52 pm »
Another problem kitkat that I didn't catch until just now was that you radioed home with your probe, but despite it being in the Delta quadrant, the reply was near-instant. I'm going to assume it took a few hours to get the reply though.

In the event of planetary collision, why would the probe hit the planet? Would its sensors somehow be scrambled by something?

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 05:03:20 pm »
I thought that you said that communication moves at plotspeed. I just said "radio" to be consistent.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)