Author Topic: [AC] Crystals and Carbon  (Read 5448 times)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Re: [AC] Crystals and Carbon
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:30 pm »
Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem, Imperial Palace, Library

Zvirnnau VII was sitting down comfortably. He had selected a good script to read titled Astrological Signs and Their Divine Messages. So far there were some good illustrations of comets and constellations, but nothing like the flickering light and certainly not the Nebular Cylinder. The closest thing he found was a comet recorded 640 years ago that shone brightly, and after the comet left the ruling family was overthrown by his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, Zvirnnau I of the Zvau Dynasty. Obviously the prophecy of the Divine Emperor was classified by the scientists. If the Nebular Cylinder had come to proclaim him as Divine Emperor he seriously doubted that any rebel family would attempt to topple his reign. As he was studying a mouth-shaped constellation, he felt footsteps in the floor and recognized the familiar, monotone pattern.

"What now, Kravgohn?"

"Your Worship, the Nebular Cylinder has left and traveled back to the sky, though the flickering light continues to shine."

"Let me know if anything else comes down."

"Very well, my lord." The scientist walked away, and Zvirnnau decided to look at a few other scripts of interest.

3 hours later...

By now it was mid-afternoon, and the Emperor had gone through quite a lot of scripts. As he puzzled over The Quick Collapse of Systems of Power That Until Recently Seemed Invincible and How They Were Foretold in the Heavens, Volume 2, Kravgohn rushed in, his hearts beating excitedly.

"My lord, the light in the Nebula is gleaming once again! Another Nebular Object is landing!"

The Emperor leaped to his feet. "That's wonderful news! Quick, organize a welcoming committee in Imperial Square and this time keep it under control! I want no civilians coming close to the Nebular beings, and I also want to give a good impression on the Gods this time! Bring out all the Department Heads, as well as some fine Sahrzhiran art, preferably statues of great Yerxe! I'll go get to my Shrakk'im; that will surely show my divine status!"

"It shall be done, O Divine Emperor!"

Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem, Imperial Square

Everything had been done as requested. The twelve Department Heads stood behind their only superior, the Emperor himself riding his fierce Shrakk'im. The ten-legged beast growled as the bright object drew nearer, but Zvirnnau calmed it down with some threatening pulls of its reins. Many decorated statues were placed about, depicting past Zvau dynasty Emperors covered in silver and painted with intricate designs. Everyone, including the crowd behind the roped-off borderline, looked up once again as the object slowed down directly overhead, but this time it was not a cylinder. It was a larger triangular shape, clearly reflecting its importance. The triangle is the most sacred of shapes to Yerxe, after all. As it slowed down, many expected it to hover in the air, but this object actually landed right in front of Zvirnnau VII. The Emperor's hearts beat furiously against his chest and skull, and the top of the object opened with a hiss. It raised higher and higher until it went almost 180 degrees, and then the most extraordinary event in Yerxe history happened.

Two strange beings rolled out of the top and in front of the Emperor. They were small compared to the 9-foot Yerxe, and had brown skin with crystal-like protrusions all over their bodies. As they rolled face-to-crystal with Zvirnnau, he made his move.

"Greetings, O heavenly messengers of the Gods." He bowed deeply. "My people and I have nothing but respect and worship for you. I understand that you have been sent to proclaim me as Divine Emperor of the Material Universe, correct? That is what all of our astronomers are saying. Is it true, Nebular Messengers?"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:09:32 pm by UFO King »
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 07:18:19 pm »
Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System, Yerx

The Worshipping One's words fell in deaf crystal fibers, even if they had been physically capable of hearing, they would not have understood the language anyway.  ~//Lack of an established procedure is jarringly evident, Captain Beta,//~ expressed Captain Alpha to his companion captain.

~//Keep in mind, Alpha, that electrical stimulation causes convulsions in this species.  I would suggest that we avoid speaking directly.  I am currently sensing a slight decible increase, along with a moderate increase in electrical activity in the upper area of the Worshipping one directly in font of us.  It might use atmospheric disturbance as a form of communication.//~

~//I sense it too.  Our scout is equipped with a sonic sensor?//~

~//Yes.//~  Beta then reached a pseudopod like projection into the scout, and pulled out a satellite like dish.  ~//Now to express to it we need it to make more atmospheric disturbance.//~

~//Perhaps if we were to shock it again, it might respond.//~  Alpha reached in and grabbed a stun gun like instrument, normally used to study in detail a small region of an object, and turned up the power.  It then stuck it into the Worshipping One.

Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System, Yerx Orbit

The small probe was looked upon with curiosity.  Such a move was not expected, but was not perceived as a threat simply due to the fact that they had done the same exact thing moments ago.  This time, the main ship sent out the same message.

//We represent Crystalion people.  You are Shimmering One.  Purpose?//
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »
//us...Come from... us... bright...you...inquiry...purpose...//

Thankfully, electrical neural impulses often share basic similarity in beings who use them, and the "concept" in "thought-concept transfer" was prevalent here. Running over the communication/thought over and over again with multiple deciphering algorithms, a basic message began to form:

//We come from "us" [UNKNOWN THOUGHT], you are the bright one. Your purpose?//

After the message was slightly deciphered, at least the meaning was determined, a response was formulated. But before it could send it through the probe, the reactor on the Chara'ai ship flickered, then went out. Alarms sounded throughout the neural networks, alerting the crewman to the fact that they were now living on borrowed time. The reactor needed fuel, fast. Normally, iron would be supplied to the ship, but there was no time to mine the quantities involved. They needed uranium! Quickly, they scanned the surface. Several hundred miles away, a fair deposit of uranium was found. Typically, if a world was inhabited, activities such as this would be relegated to the most remote regions, but there was no time for that. They had to use this deposit, immediately. Using what little power they could muster, a small child probe was dropped, and it sailed toward the deposit, several miles outside the city of Vnzem.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 08:21:28 pm »

Zvirnnau VII looked on in amazement as a Nebular Messenger reached into the triangular craft and pulled out a strange bowl-shaped device. Its companion then reached into the craft as well and retrieved what looked like a bronze dagger. Suddenly, it jabbed the needle into the Emperor. An intense buzzing filled his body, but it was not as painful as the probe's sword, because this only impacted on his exoskeleton. Zvirnnau was conscious, but disoriented. He then noticed that some Department Heads had drawn their weapons, but he quickly reprimanded them.

"No, no. Do not anger them, they are just being... overeager with their blessings." He turned to the Messengers and spoke in an aggressive tone. "I know your intentions are well, but no more blessings like that! Do you understand me? Now then, let me repeat myself: Have you been sent to confirm my hailing as Divine Emperor of the Material Universe?"

Empire of Sahrzhir, Prime Area, Stone Flats

Zvuung'ik stepped outside of his tent and looked around. Clothed in the same white cloth as the other villagers and their tents, he scanned the vast horizon for movement of prey. Food supplies were running low, and as a hunter it was his duty to find food for his village. His nomadic fellows were moving in the direction of Vnzem, though, and they could reach there in a week and trade their goods for water and silver. But for now, he needed to find something useful. All of a sudden, a brilliantly gleaming thing appeared in the sky. As he watched it with interest, he realized that it was not another sun, but rather some jewel falling from the sky. He rushed to the other villagers and told them the news, and as they watched it crash into the ground about a thousand meters away the elders gathered the hunters and gave them a mission.

"Listen, hunters. It is of vital importance that you go and retrieve that gem or jewel or whatever it is and bring it back here. We are not far from Vnzem, and it could fetch a good price in the market. Zvuung'ik, you will lead this mission. Now hurry!"

Zvuung'ik and the other hunters raced off on all sixes toward the fallen jewel. Within minutes they had arrived, but the jewel was several times bigger than what they expected, and oddly shaped as well. Jurmv'dd, another hunter, commented on its design.

"This is worthy of the Emperor himself. It may be worth thousands upon thousands of silver coins! Think of the untold riches..."

Zvuung'ik, as usual, presented a more cynical argument.

"Yes, but look at how large it is! It must be incredibly heavy. And... have you noticed how organic it looks? I have never seen a gem of this shape."

Unexpectedly, the fallen jewel started to move. Zvuung'ik drew his swords.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 09:21:50 pm »

~//It appears to have worked,//~ remarked Alpha.

~//So it would seem.  I will now process the information from the sonic sensor.//~  One of the crystals separated out into the many fine fibers that made it up, and gripped the edges of the sonic sensor, and reformed in such a way that it looked embedded in the crystal.  The information downloaded from it made a couple visible sparks travel down the crystal.  ~//The patterns are structured.  They probably use sonics like we use our crystals.  But, then, where does the connotation come from?//~

~//The way the phrasing was done in the beggining half differs from the latter half.  Perhaps the pitch and volume of a pulse of sound changes the connotation?//~

~//But it could also simply be a part of the diction of the word.//~

~//We require more samples.//~  And with that, they moved around in the crowd, gathering more samples from the other Worshipping Ones.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 08:14:20 pm »
Empire of Sahrzhir, Just Outside Vnzem

The landed probe gave off a very loud *Hiss CHUNK* of atmospheric compression as the airlock located at the bottom of the craft slid open. Out climbed three Chara'ai EVA scouts, who promptly stopped dead with the realization of the creature staring at them, gripping what looked to be a weapon of sorts, evidenced by his stance and position of the weapon. The three scouts held their ground, and the closest of which projected the Extraterrestrial Intelligence Diagram to the being, in hope of contact that didn't involve violence. The Chara'ai didn't enjoy violence.

Meanwhile, in orbit, the probe remained silent...

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:04:40 pm »

The Imperial Council watched on in interest as a Messenger unfolded a crystal into several thin gossamer-like strands which wrapped around the edges of its device. Some flashes of cyan fire sizzled down the tentacles, and the Messenger suddenly started to wave the device around. The crowd drew back and started murmuring amongst themselves, and Kravgohn addressed them.

"You have nothing to fear, people! The Messengers will soon show their benevolent intentions!"

I certainly hope so, thought Zvirnnau VII.

Stone Flats

To the surprise of Zvuung'ik and the other hunters, a loud hissing noise emanated from the jewel, and then a clearly audible CHUNK. At the same time, one of the jewel's faces slid open and three small crystalline beings came out. But they did not walk, nor crawl, but rather hover about in midair as if they were puppets of the sky, only no puppeteer had such skill as to control the amazingly complex movements of the creatures. When Zvuung'ik raised his swords as a warning to the things, they halted, as if some force had frozen their positions in midair. They did not even float up and down, and the hunters knew too well that they themselves were more frightened than aggressive.

Unexpectedly, the lead being suddenly... How to describe it? It was as if some pictures suddenly were spit into midair by the being, only they were made of light, nothing else! Zvuung'ik was very startled by this sudden turn of events, and some hunters were more so, seeing how fast they ran when Zvuung'ik shakily ordered them to run back to camp and inform the others of the jewel beings. He did not actually look at the pictures until he had calmed down somewhat, and he was amazed at them. Some rings in patterns, a few polygons, and some spheres! The infrared signature on them was low, and no reds showed up, only black and white. Yet what did all of it mean? He stood his ground, expecting an aggressive move by the being.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 09:36:35 pm »
~//They respond verbally to each other//~

~//Yes, but that could simply be reactions to the leader upon instinct, as has been observed in innumerable non-sentient social beings.//~

~//But the structure of the vocalization was more composed than that of non-sentients; it showed a meaning comparable to language.//~

~//The being responded to the EID Protocol, it obviously shows signs of higher spatial and meaningful properties.//~

~//However, its comprehension of its meanings seems very low at best.//~

~//Carbons have been observed to process thoughts at a much slower rate than silicon based beings. Perhaps the things is to primitive yet to understand the message.//~

~//And these locals may be less informed in linguistics than others.//~

~//Perhaps it would be beneficial to ignore it for now.//~

The Chara'ai explorers opted to leave the Yerxe to its business, and promptly began taking samples of the sand and rock around it. All showed minute traces of uranium.

//TARGET: PROBE: COMMAND: DRILL: TARGET: 0,180//

The Chara'ai stood back from the probe, and several seconds later, a beam of negative energy was directed from the central region of the craft, blowing away all the sand under it and chipping away at the rock.

//Thank goodness that beam is localized...// Thought the lead scout. He wasn't a fan of using technology in such destructive ways. But he realized that it was necessary to the life of his brethren up there on the probe, and he continued the dig.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 07:39:36 am »

~//They appear to have withdrawn from our presence,//~ remarked Alpha.

~//Our scans from earlier show that they use visual stimulation.  We might appear to be strange to them.//~

~//Or they might fear us.//~

~//That might be.  I have now aquired a sizeable sample of language.  We should start with the negative response.//~

~//Agreed.//~

Beta fiddled with the sonic sensor, and reset it to send out sounds.  It then quickly pulsed out loudly "NO."

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 09:31:43 pm »

To everyone's astonishment, the Messenger's device vibrated and spoke. In a loud and fast voice, it declared "NO."

Zvirnnau VII was shocked, but soon realized he was confused as well. "What do you mean no? Let me ask once again: Are you sent to proclaim me as Divine Emperor of the Material Universe, or are you enemies?"

Empire of Sahrzhir, Stone Flats

Zvuung'ik watched the strange floating light pictures disappear back into the being. It and the other beings hovered closer to the ground and started scooping up the sand and rock. What a strange practice! Could it possibly be looking for other jewels? As he pondered this, the large fallen jewel started humming very loudly, causing the floating beings to hover away from it. He did the same as the fallen jewel hovered a few meters into the air.

Suddenly, a column of dark fire shot out from the bottom of the jewel. It burrowed into the ground, and Zvuung'ik thought he would be blown away by the noise. He sprinted back to camp to tell his peers, hoping that somebody could make sense of it all.

"I've never witnessed anything like it," announced an elder. "A jewel falls, some floating things pop out and scoop up sand, and the jewel digs with a pillar of dark flame? This will be recorded in history scripts for ages to come, mark my words. It doesn't seem they want to kill anything, but rather that they're looking for something."

"Perhaps rock oil?" Suggested a young Yerxe.

Another elder laughed at that. "Black slippery stuff that smells terrible and can only burn up into foul smoke? What use is that? No, these things are obviously searching for rare treasures deep within Yerx. It is only a guess, but maybe there are more of them underground, and these sky jewels are seeking to dig out their buried compatriots. I once did find gemstones when I was a miner, you know."

Zvuung'ik spoke. "Whatever the case, we must simply wait until they dig out the stuff they are searching for, be it iron or gold."

There was a general chatter of agreement among the others.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 08:26:34 pm »
They were very behind schedule. They had predicted that they were to reach the top of the deposit one hour ago. The rock was extremely hard and didn't want to relent. The boom of energy pounding away at the the rock face suddenly ceased. //Something is definitely wrong//, they said to each other. When they looked into the problem, they discovered something horrifying: The uranium fuel slugs in the reactor were completely spent; they had no negative energy to power the drill, and no electricity on which to live by! The fuel rods were designed to endure months of use, but the use of the engine as a drill wasn't factored into that equation. Frantically, they searched for a solution; they could find none... Except maybe... could they do that?

~//Factor in the direction of our visitors' travel, see if we can get an estimate as to where their residence is.//~

A few simple computations later, and they found the direction of the camp. They set out swiftly for them, eventually coming up to the Yerxe encampment. They wasted no time, and went directly to what looked to be the most important structure.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:15 pm »

~//The most prominent one seems to be directing more disturbances in our direction,//~ remarked Beta, slightly amused.

~//We can clearly make simple phrases, and the last one has elicited a very strong response from the one addressing us.  What can you make of the language?  Can the sensor translate the disturbances into our thoughts?//~

~//It is capable.//~ Beta then ran the device again, making it spark.  The Worshipping One's meaning was made clear.  ~//How interesting.  This species is currently asking us to pick from two choices, one that will pemanently install a leader that evidently got in on birthright, and not merit, and the other is if we are enemies.  Continuing, it seems to think we originate from the nebula that shrouds this planet.  The ignorance of it all.  This ruler cannot be allowed to rule.  It flies in the face of out moral judgement.//~

~//Agreed.  Inform it, that given the options, we would rather be enemies of despots, than install them.//~

~//Very well.//~  He prepped the device for transmission again.  "Worshipping One who inquires of us, we would rather topple a power hungry despot, than allow one to continue to squander your
people's resources, for your own temporary pleasures.  We are your, enemies, for as long as you continue to lead."

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 11:14:15 pm »

A Messenger aimed its device at Zvirnnau VII and spoke again.

"Worshiping One who inquires of us, we would rather topple a power hungry despot than allow one to continue to squander your people's resources for your own temporary pleasures. We are your enemies for as long as you continue to lead."

Every single Yerxe gasped in shock and horror, and some in the crowd even fainted. Zvirnnau VII was absolutely outraged, more angry than he had ever been in his life.

"WHAAAT?! How dare you insult my righteous standing as Divine Emperor! Bah, I need no revolting aberrations of the Nebula to proclaim my status! The Gods have chosen me themselves! Have at you, foul beasts! Come, my people, and slay these monstrosities!"

In a single second, Zvirnnau and the entirety of his Imperial Council had drawn their weapons and were upon the Messengers. Urged by peer pressure and love of country, the crowd did the same, clawing at the creatures who had dared to insult their Emperor. The Messengers tried to leap back into their triangular craft and shout a word of caution, but Zvirnnau's Shrakk'im was faster. In a flash, the perfect killing machine had jumped directly at the Messengers and pinned them to the side of their craft with its mighty jaws, its dagger-like teeth rending the flesh of the beings.

Orange fluid oozed out of their wounds, and they were soon reduced to a mangled heap of gore by the bloodthirsty Yerxe. The hormones pumping throughout their bodies made them hungry for more, and their Emperor gave them just that.

"Come, my people! Let us destroy this evil machine!"

Although the Yerxe clawed and punched the triangular craft, their attacks did no harm.

"Er, fetch a smashing device!"

Soon some Yerxe returned, wheeling along what looked like a combination of a huge iron hammer and a catapult. They put it directly in front of the craft and pulled a trigger, releasing the crushing iron behemoth. It formed a massive dent in the craft, but did not destroy it.

"Ah...bring the craft back to the Royal Palace, and tell the guards to store it in the dungeons. We shall make these manifestations of pure evil pay for what they have done!"

A cheer rose from the crowd and spread to the whole city.

"ALL HAIL THE DIVINE EMPEROR!"

"POWER TO SAHRZHIR!"

It was the dawning of a new era for the Yerxe, one of conquest, oppression, and tragedy that would eventually form such hell as never thought possible...

Meanwhile, in comparatively peaceful Stone Flats...

"It seems as though our waiting must not continue longer! Look there!"

The other villagers turned to see some of the jewel beings floating towards them at incredible speed. Zvuung'ik warned the others.

"Do not look aggressive! We may be able to befriend them, and perhaps if we help them find what they seek they may reward us! Now act humble, everyone!"

Zvuung'ik faced the beings head-on and stared at them for a while, then addressed them in a friendly voice.

"Salutations, o wise beings! We are the Djekel-Nozvaan tribe, at your service. What is your request?"

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 11:27:30 pm »

The communications badges in the two captains had gone dead.  The Rouli picked up on this.  The data was downloaded, and redistributed.  The captains had been murdered!  The walls of the ship began to seep with the reddish colored anger chemical, so much it looked like the walls were bleeding.  Retribution must take place!  The first order of business was to eliminate the scout vehicle from the Worshipping Ones' field of interest.  The self destruct order was wired down to the craft, and a small thermonuclear device went off, obliterating the craft, and rocking the city and causing minor quakes to radiate out for miles.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »
Stone Flats, Yerx

The scouts wasted no time. Closing in on their "captain" to prevent any damage should the crowds retaliate, the scout captain extended the sensor manipulators on the suits back. With these, he lightly touched Zvuung'ik, and began to speak. The crowd would hear no words in it, but Zvuung'ik would understand fully―he hoped.  In his thoughts, he expressed his desperation for assistance, and in his words, a timeless phrase rang out through the camp:

"Take me... to the leader of your people..."