Author Topic: [AC] Crystals and Carbon  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
[AC] Crystals and Carbon
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:18 pm »
Alpha Quadrant, Sector (2,0)

The scouting mission was going as planned.  The probes going out in all directions were gathering incalculable amounts of data that could aid the Crystalion.  A habitable planet with a lot of iron, a gas giant that had plenty of noble gases in its atmosphere, and an asteroid belt.  The 4 L,LF,MF,HR-Q,LP,LP,LP, or to imitate it in sound, would be Rouli, was a medium sized ship, about 100 Crystalion in radius.  Its purpose was mostly scientific, and was succeeding marvelously at it.  

Things were going smoothly, the crew oozing through the corridors without much question.  However, in a distant system, there was a very imposing question that needed to be answered.  The energy output of the system in question was much higher than should be for a system of its profile.  There was indeed life, but, there were what looked like roads on the surface.  The walls hummed as the various options were weighed.  

Should they go, or should they explore an alternate route of investigation?

It was decided.  They would go to the system and launch an unmanned probe to see how civilized the system was.  Then they would see if it was in their best interests to contact them.

Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System

I took many weeks, but the Rouli eventually reached the edge of the system with the strange roads.  The probe was launched, and streaked on towards the main inhabited planet.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:14:08 pm by Kenotai »

Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Re: [AC] Crystals and Carbon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »
Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System, Yerx, Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem, Imperial Palace

Emperor Zvirnnau VII of the Zvau Dynasty awoke from a good hour-long sunrise sleep. He rose up on all sixes and crawled backwards across the stone wall of his sleeping room and out the door. The murderer of thousands was known for his love of theatrics, even if no one was present. He dropped off the polished wall once he reached the hall decorated with tapestries of him and the Imperial Symbol. On the thirty-sixth floor, the view from the carefully cut glass windows was fantastic. He took a step outside onto a balcony. The only clouds in the sky were the gases of the multicolored nebula, but that was to be expected. After all, it was the summer season. He breathed in a good whiff of the breezy river air through his plating, and proclaimed,

"I am lord of all I survey and more still. I look forward to the day when all Yerxe bow down to me, Immortal King of Kings!"

Suddenly, he felt a tremble in the stone floor beneath his clawed feet and a slight whoosh in the air through his back plating. In half a second, the Emperor had a sword drawn at the stranger's chest. As usual, it was simply Kravgohn, Head of the Department of Scientific Research.

"Keeping in practice, eh, Your Holiness?"

He sheathed his sword and stepped back. "As always. Tell me, what news has come today?"

"Well, some replacement Shrakk'im have arrived to serve as your faithful steeds after your previous one was slain in battle, may the Rivers carry his soul to the Afterlife."

"They aren't being handled by filthy four-limbs, are they?"

"Of course not, Your Greatness, only the most professional six-limbed Yerxe. You know, I have some interesting scientific news for you."

Zvirnnau was really interested now. Kravgohn was the one who devised the heat ray that used mirrors to set enemy soldiers in a blaze from afar.

"Well, let's hear it!"

"I was just making my nightly astronomical recordings last evening when I noticed a strange star. It seemed to blink with light, and it did not show up on any of our charts. This is something I have never experienced before, and it could mean something very important to your reign."

"Perhaps the Nebula has created a new star and is sending it to our world to show my rightful dominion over all of Yerx!"

"Maybe so, Your Majesty. Maybe so..."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:59:32 pm by UFO King »
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:57 pm »
Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System, Yerx

The probe was completing its scan of the planet, and had determined that the life was sentient.  However, a determination of their civility would require closer surveilance.  To that end, the probe went into the atmosphere, and went to the largest concentration of sentients.  Their "appearance" was very bizarre to the Crystalion, who were used to seeing the electrical patterns of the amorphous creatures that inhabited Crystalia Prime.  It then went and hovered over the city and commenced scanning the structures for composition and technique.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »
Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem

Zvirnnau VII glanced up at the sky. At the edge of the Nebula, he could make out a shining light. His hearts began to pound.

"Quickly, Kravgohn, is that the location of the blinking star?"

The astronomer turned to look. "Why, yes, Your Exalted Highness... Why... Yes..."

Kravgohn whirled around at a speed quick for even a Yerxe. His eyes were wide, and his arms were visibly shaking. He suddenly gripped the Emperor's sides and spoke in a weirdly excited yet ominous voice, leaning closer and closer to Zvirnnau.

"This is it. Right now, the omens are coming true. You are the One True Emperor. Your ancestors did not match your divinity, and now, at long, long last, YERX IS OURS! THE RIVERS SHALL PART FOR OUR ARMIES, THE SANDS WILL SWALLOW OUR ENEMIES, AND YOU WILL BE HERALDED AS THE DIVINE EMPEROR OF THE MATERIAL UNIVERSE! Come now, the Gods wait for no Yerxe!"

Kravgohn released Zvirnnau from his grip and jumped off the balcony, running down the sloped palace walls. The Emperor quickly followed. As they passed by the Training Grounds, Kravgohn spotted Moh'rak, Head of the Department of Law Enforcement.

"Quickly, inform our people! The shining light is coming closer, and it is the Messenger of the Nebula! The prophecies are true, and Zvirnnau VII is the Divine Emperor! Let the people know of this historic event!"

Moh'rak raced off, and Kravgohn and Zvirnnau headed towards the Royal Stables. The Emperor quickly chose the largest and fiercest Shrakk'im to ride, and its ten legs galloped over buildings towards Imperial Square. A crowd had gathered to see the bright object speeding toward the city, and they quickly parted and bowed to the Emperor. Kravgohn dismounted and started flailing his arms about, informing every curious bystander of the prophecy's readily apparent truth. Zvirnnau VII looked directly at the object, thinking of his destiny. It seemed to be slowing down, and he could make out some details of it as it dimmed in its fiery brightness.

All Yerxe looked up and grew silent as the cylinder with the warped skin hovered directly above the Emperor and started to hum strangely. Many knelt down and prayed in its direction.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »

The probe directed its scans at the massing crowd.  Their reaction was puzzling.  There was no word for worship in their language, but their designation in Cyrstalion would most closely mean "Worshipping Ones".  The scans were having a hard time scanning them, they had much harder exteriors than anything on Crystalia Prime.  The probe descended, making the air whip around it, blowing the dirt all around.  A long needle like projection came out of an arm on the side of the probe, and moved towards a random Worshipping One.  It then stuck the needle sensor into them, sending pulses of electricity out of it, not enough to kill, but likely painful for non-Crystalion species.  This allowed the probe to "see" what it looked like, as well as internal structures and what-have-you.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:12:03 pm »
Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem, Imperial Square

Zvirnnau VII looked on in awe as the heavenly cylinder descended upon the crowd. Suddenly, a large, pointed sword flew out of it and pierced a nobleman. The crowd drew back in fear as he shook for a while, then collapsed to the ground as the rapier-like object retreated back into the cylinder. It was simply due to the psychological shock experienced by him, but no one knew that. The Emperor leaned close to an imperial guard and whispered,

"Make sure to kill him if he's not already dead. He has obviously invoked the wrath of the Gods."

Everyone jumped as the cylinder started to move again. Their feelings were a strange mixture of fright and wonder, as well as whatever the Yerxe equivalent of adrenaline is. Zvirnnau watched as the hovering object drew close to him, perhaps attracted by his large and curious-looking Shrakk'im steed. But no! He quickly cleared such thoughts out of his mind. This thing obviously recognized him as Divine Emperor.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:59:11 pm »
Meanwhile, In deeps space, Location Longitude 1.99, Latitude -1...

The massive probe drifted, constantly surveying the core systems and their incomprehensibly large gravitational pull. To the mathematical minds of the multitude of silicon-based Chara'ai "manning" the vessel, it was as beautiful as an incredible piece of fine art. A scientific masterpiece! It sents back billions upon billions of megabytes worth of data and communications, detailing every millimeter. //NEW STAR DETECTED. AUTOMATED DESIGNATION CR-10382. BEARING 302 MARK 3.5 RELATIVE GALACTIC CORE.// Suddenly, this new star's documentation was disrupted by a signal. A radio signal accompanied by multiple inorganic energy readings! How peculiar, especially out here...? Suddenly, the ship broke off from its slow trip, sending the message home //ANOMALY DETECTED. REQUESTING PERMISSION TO PURSUE.// near-immediately, what would be an intrigued (if such emotions could be projected these distances) Collective Mission Control replied //PERMISSION GRANTED. BY ALL MEANS, PROCEED//

In several hours, a shimmering anomaly opened up over the Cyro system, very near Yerx. And, as space began to clear, a huge ship emerged. It's immense size and bright, almost sparkling structure made a glint visible to the probe on ground, and probably to the Yerxe assembled around it. The probe proceeded to formulate a response, opting fro the simple greeting of a VERY loud //HELLO?//. The radiation from the comm actually vibrated the atmosphere slightly, creating a series of screeches mostly-audible to those on the ground.

And the probe waited for a response.
The probe waited for a response, honing every possible sensor
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:18:50 pm »

The probe had moved to the Worshipping One riding a larger creature.  The prove repeated the shock procedure with this creature, making the creature convulse, a most unexpected response.  It fell over, knocking the rider to the ground.  The next thing to study of these things is surface information, so the next tool was what looked like a feather duster dipped in slime.  The arm controlling it put it onto the knocked down rider, feeling all over him. 

The next incident drew the attention away from these creatures.  The large ship, who's appearance had it dubbed the Shimmering One, sent out a distruptive signal that resonated off of the probe's, as well as the Rouli's, skin.  The Rouli moved to intercept.

The Rouli scanned the large vessel.  The radio emmisions it gave out interfered with the ability to gather an electrical image of the ship, but the optical scan of the ship earned its name.  The huge burst it sent out did not seem to fit anything in the Crystalion electrical, chemical tongue. 

The decision was made to send out an array of probes to get in contact with the hull, and send out a massive electrical pulse, which should be able to send enough data so that the Crystalion could see what it looked like.

The probes were launched, outfitted with additional electrical charges.  Fifteen seconds after the launch, they made contact with the hull if the ship.  The electrical charges detonated, sending ionized gases around the ship; creating a readable silhouet.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:38:11 pm »
//ZEHARLEASKERAXLABELEN! EMERGENCY SYSTEMS OVERLOAD SYSTEM SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-TTT DOW-DOWN//

The ship began to pitch and roll, almost convulsively, in pain. All the lights immediately shut down, and the ship stood still in space. Several seconds later, it came back online, but the commanders were still gathering up their spilled thoughts. The ship was running on pure instinct. Following a collision avoidance maneuver, it shot several missiles out to intercept the probes forward of it.

//GREETINGS, FELLOW SENTIENT ENTITIES. We represent the Prime Collective of the Chara'ai entities. We are explorers; we mean you no harm―but we will use force as necessary to fend off an attack.//

Despite the feeling in the last sentences, the transmission was recorded; a cookie cutter message sent to anomalies such as this, often times unsuccessful. The cold prescence of the AI remained in control of the ship for now, keeping a close eye on the Crystalion ship.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:57 pm »
Empire of Sahrzhir, Southwestern Area, Mesa Village

Y'naok was returning to his leather hut after a good nighttime hunt when it happened. At the time it was late at night, and the tendrils of the Nebula could not be seen at the edge of the vast, breathtakingly starry sky. He had heard tales from his traveling sister that the Empire's capital city was so far away that at this time of day and year the nebula would be plainly visible in the sky. Of course he knew the world was round, but sometimes he had difficulty imagining how large it would have to be for Vnzem to be so far away.

As he walked along the rocky top of the mesa where his village was, he sighed and appreciated everything he noticed, a habit of his when he grew bored. His long pant-like sheets of cloth around his lower limbs shuffled, and he recalled how he helped kill a Death Worm and earned those symbols of accomplishment. Just as the stone huts of the village came into view, a loud screeching noise was heard, and the air shimmered slightly around him. Startled, Y'naok tripped onto the ground, his swords and wristbands clanking as they impacted the mesa's hard rock.

As he got to his feet and looked up, he noticed a bright light. Concerned of the effect it might have on his village comrades, he sprinted towards the village, finding his familiar friends and family staring at the strange, shimmering light overhead.

"Brother Kz'k'zk, what in the Sun's name is that light?"

"I have no idea, but it isn't hurting anyone and it is rather pretty."

"You're right, you know. I haven't seen anything like this since I went into the Glow-Fungus Caves last winter."

"I remember that. Hmm, it's flickering now."

"Interesting."

Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem, Imperial Square

The crowd gasped in terror as the cylinder's sword drew into Zvirnnau VII. He convulsed violently, then fell off his Shrakk'im to the ground with a thump. The imperial guard ordered to kill the Yerxe first impaled was confused as to what to do now. He shouldn't kill the Divine Emperor, but the Divine Emperor told him to kill the Yerxe cursed by the Gods, and the Divine Emperor was never wrong...
Better now than by a Shrakk'im, I would have been killed eventually anyway. Those were his final thoughts as he killed himself with his swords, spilling his innards onto the street and collapsing.

The unexpected suicide of one of the guards was the final push for the shocked crowd. Several Yerxe began yelling and running, and everybody would be in a panic if not for Kravgohn's brilliant mind.

"QUIET, EVERYONE! The heavenly object has given its blessing to the Divine Emperor! Look as this holy...brush...object, uh, blesses our beloved ruler!"

Indeed, the probe had lowered a brush and appeared to be painting the Emperor. (Remember that Yerxe can't see green.)

"This guard here obviously had evil forces lurking in his soul, which were forced to destroy their host body when confronted with such divine power! Now calm, and rejoice! The Divine Emperor is being blessed by the Gods, and this is a sacred moment!"

"What about that other guy?", someone yelled.

"He is...also blessed! He must have done great good in his life so far, like paying tribute to the Emperor. The Gods do not ignore the passing of silver to their brethren! Now see, there is a signal from the Gods as we speak! Over there above the mountains."

The crowd's heads turned (though the Emperor's Shrakk'im was as calm as usual) and watched a faint but visible light above the southwest mountains. It seemed to flicker briefly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:32:24 pm by UFO King »

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:05 pm »

The probe had gathered all the biological data it needed to make a full report to the Rouli.  However, the designated mission of the prove was to determine their level of civility.  The sudden lapse in electrical output from one of the Worshipping Ones was most disconcerting.  It noted that either a suicide or homicide. 

The probe left the square and looked inside a lot of the houses.  Most were not in great shape.  Such squalor!  The important entity that was subjected to tactile stimulation clearly was some sort of authority figure, and it kept its citizens in poverty.  How shameful!  It went in some of the houses, causing the people inside to leave in blind fear.

It then returned to the part with the taller buildings.  It was much more upscale.  Now, there was a different reaction.  This time it was thought of as wasteful.  Could this race not strike a balance between keeping their citizens in nice conditions and not being wasteful?  Clearly these creatures would be way to difficult to associate with.

Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System, Yerx Orbit

The response from the large ship was very panicked.  The Rouli crew
did not know how to respond to them.  They didn't even have any idea exactly what they were saying!  Every time they tried to translate it, they got a null message on the connotation side.  How were they talking without any emotions?  They tried to translate the messages again.  Nothing. 

Then, they directed the probes to begin "talking" to the hull, and as such began to release the much weaker talking electricity, as well as spraying the hull with the emotion chemicals. 

//Shimmering One.  We are Crystalion people.  Purpose?//

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 04:16:58 pm »
//MESSAGE RECEIVED. WAVELENGTH: RADIO, BROADCAST TIME: SHORT, PURPOSE: UNKNOWN, LANGUAGE: UNKNOWN//

the probe projected to prime command back on Chara Alpha XII. This was a most perplexing situation, and made worse by the blasted circuitry of the neural networks.

//REQUESTING PERMISSION: ACTION: CONTROL PATCH TO CENTRAL COMMAND//
//PERMISSION GRANTED. CONNECTING... CONNECTING...//

The ship once again shut down, though this time, all but a small area became lighted again.

//ACTION: TRANSMISSION, RADIO, SHORTWAVE: CODEX, CONDENSED//

The ship once again blasted out a message, this time much longer, almost continuous (Yes, the codex is very complex, and "condensed" still leaves the translation at 5 standard hours.). It was quite a bit more rhythmic and smooth, conveying a more orderly, pre-made and refined message. The codex was an ancient creation, carried on even the first interstellar probe as a metal disk. It would certainly get its point across, and as such, it was followed by the second message.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »
Empire of Sahrzhir, Vnzem, Imperial Palace

3 hours later...

Zvirnnau VII slowly awoke. He quickly noticed that he was lying on a bed in the medical wing of the Imperial Palace, and his swords were gone. His bones aching, he sluggishly got to his feet. What had happened? The last thing he remembered was the cylinder coming toward him, and...

"Kali'ma!"

He saw the robed Yerxe enter through a door near him. She was head of the Department of Health and Medical Study; she would surely know what happened.

"Your Grandness, I'm so relieved to see you awake at last. What do you need?"

"How in the world did I get here? My limbs are still intact, and I don't remember getting drunk. In fact, I don't remember much at all..."

"Oh, the cylinder from the heavens pierced you with its sword. It looks like there was no blood and your insides are fine, but you seemed to have some strange blue fire it gave you that violently reacted with metal. I had to take away your swords, you understand, but it seems to have left your body now and I can give them to you now."

"I'll go get them myself. Through that door-" He pointed to a triangular opening in another stone wall- "-down the hall, third door on the left, right?"

"Of course. I took the liberty of having them cleaned and polished, if you don't mind."

The Emperor got up and walked to the room where his weapons laid, thinking all the while. If the sword pierced me that means I'm unworthy of the Gods, unless I was mistaken and it was actually a blessing. That means the nobleman is blessed as well. I should give him a commemorative dagger or something...

Zvirnnau finally found Kravgohn on the main floor trying to shoo away commoners eager to know what had happened to the Emperor.

"Just go away already, and I'll let you look at the Royal Gardens - Oh, Your Excellency! You're finally up!"

The small crowd of Yerxe started cheering at the sight of Zvirnnau, but he quickly dismissed them with a threat:

"Begone, or my Shrakk'im won't go hungry tonight."

That did it. The commoners quickly walked out of the entrance. Some guards closed the glass doors after the Emperor gave them the gesture to do so. Zvirnnau turned towards Kravgohn and began questioning him.

"Kravgohn, give me an update on what happened so far regarding the past three hours in the city."

"After the cylinder's sword pierced you, I had some guards bring you and your Shrakk'im back to the palace. The cylinder did not pierce anyone else, but it did go inside a few houses. I gave the order for the citizens to continue with their business, and now the cylinder is just circling the city at a great height. Also, the strange light above the mountains has been continuing to flicker in strange patterns, as if communicating with something."

"Just keep watch on everything.  I'll go look up this kind of thing in the library. Make sure nothing disruptive happens, and do not bother me unless something vitally important arises."

"Very well, O Divine Emperor."

As Zvirnnau walked away, he wondered if any more objects would be sent from the Nebula. Perhaps a larger ship bearing living messengers...

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 06:42:01 pm »
The probe continued to scan, until finally, it had scanned the entirety of the city.  With great atmospheric disturbance, it left the atmosphere, and redocked with the Rouli.  The data instantly started to download into the ship and distributed to the crew. 

The walls buzzed with activity as the information was analyzed and discussed, and the course of action debated.  With a base 10 civility for Crystalion, these would only rate a mere 3.  The issue was hotly debated, until it became suggested that this would be a rare opportunity. 

It was eventually agreed then, that the two captains would go down in a scout.  The boarded, and the scout detached from the side of the ship, and went down.  They landed in the square were the most Worshipping Ones were gathered.  The top of the ship lifted up like a lid from the ship, and the two captains rolled onto the pavement. 

Delta Quadrant, Sector (2,-1), Cyro System, Yerx Orbit

The probe array's message elicited a response from the large ship, but it was much more orderly than before.  However, attempts at translation again resulted in null statements on the connotation side.  They tried to guess at the connotations instead this time.

//We represent Crystalion people.  You are Shimmering One.  Purpose?//

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 06:52:21 pm »
The Chara'ai were confused. Their seeming inability to send a decipherable message to the other ship perplexed the command. Perhaps, they thought, alternate means would be in order. They determined that the other entities were communicating with electrical impulses, as well as chemical ones, interestingly. Those couldn't be determined to men anything specific, so they were omitted from the plan. Eventually, they came to the conclusion that a direct mind/concept link would suffice in getting their point across, and proceeded with the new command:

//ACTION: LAUNCH: OBJECT: PROBE: PURPOSE: EXPLORATORY//

A small star-shaped missile was loaded into the launch zone, and it shot toward the other starship. It was geared for a slow impact, meant for contact, not destruction. It would proceed to communicate via electrical transfer, hoping to establish a mind-link with it.