Author Topic: [AC] One for Profit, One for Knowledge  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: [AC]One for Profit, One for Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:58 pm »
Alpha Quadrant, Sector (3,2), Slorv System, Construct A-1 Orbiting Slorvian V

Several thoughts flashed through Yuntar's head as soon as he received the Vantry message. They too breathed a nitrogen/oxygen mix, although the details of that were still sketchy. Plus there was always the consideration of foreign bacteria which could contaminate the Vantry and vice versa.

"You may be pleased to know that the Slorv also breath from a nitrogen/oxygen mix, which you may already know. I fear though, that out contact may have to remain limited until we can secure a position that is free of all contaminants which may spread disease between our people. Our past history has taught us this lesson, and we do not wish to repeat it if possible." Yuntar paused for several moments before continuing.

"But as for our requests. As you already know, our race lacks faster-than-light technology. We have no engine that can effectively transport us between our planets in a short period of time. But we have done the best we can with the resources at hand." Here Yuntar paused, thinking with great pride on what the Slorv had accomplished, "I was reviewing the conversation log from Construct A-3 orbiting Slorvian VII, and it stated that your race lacked resources. That can be a great hindrance to an expanding race. Seeing that we have an over abundance of resources and the facilities necessary to get those resources, I think it would make good sense to initiate a trade deal. We can offer you a variety of resources over a certain period of time in exchange for the blueprints and technology necessary to manufacture our own faster-than-light engines. What is your opinion on this matter?"

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 03:29:50 pm »
Alpha Quadrant, Sector (3,2), Slorv System, Near Construct A-1 Orbiting Slorvian V

Graka "smiled," a nearly imperceptible motion of his mouth to the Slorv, but blatantly obvious to other 'Gra, "Then the Pathfinder's ship said rather too much... Though... you must realize that we have nothing to guarantee that if we give you the technology, and provide the necessary materials to construct the facility, that you won't take the warp drive and overpower us with your immense industrial base. As it is now, we are entirely safe from your sub-light travels, free to do as we wish. I'm being quite blunt, because there's no need to dance around the point. Another great hindrance to an expanding race is another race that is stronger than it.

"We might provide you with the warp drives, but special-built to be tamper-proof so that you can't deconstruct them and try to figure out what does what. The second precondition would be that a Vantry engineer be on every ship to make sure it remains safe. As well as doing that, we would trade as well... What material does your species find generally most valuable, Yuntar?" The main thing Graka didn't mention was the Vantry' possession of FTL communications as well, but as long as the Slorv didn't ask, he didn't have to lie. Even if they got the drives, they wouldn't get the comms from him, that was his superiors' orders. Then he added, "Oh, yes, it would be best to remain on this ship. We don't have any kind of translators or computers we can carry around with us to automatically translate, currently, though some of our engineers and scientists have been assigned the job, now that we have you... "Codex"?"

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 04:21:53 pm »

Yuntar was slightly disappointed, but not surprised by the Vantry's words. They rang true and he couldn't deny it. If he were in their shoes he would have probably said the same thing. He knew that the Slorv were conducting experiments somewhere involving faster-than-light travel, he just didn't know how far along they were. For all he knew they could reach a breakthrough within the next week, or in the next decade for that matter.

"You bring up very good points, Graka," Yuntar said, doing his best to pronounce the alien name, "and I can understand your position on a matter such as this. I will have to confer with my leaders in order to fully accept this deal, though." Off camera he motioned to one of his associates to bring up the viewscreen of the High Council. Originally they were going to be the ones to speak to the Vantry, but after some intense consideration, it was thought better to leave diplomacy in the pincers of skilled diplomats. Even so, the High Council was currently in session and watching the feed from the alien ship in their own boardroom. While this was going on, Yuntar continued his conversation with Graka.

"I would like to caution you though, that we are not a warfaring people. It is true that we have a military, but that is purely for protection. And while we know of your existence, we know not from where you come. These words may be worthless to you, but I do wish to start this relationship off as friendly as possible." Off to the side one of his associates was conversing with the High Council, figuring out their opinion on the matter. There was some small debate over the best course of action, all of which the fellow diplomat was watching.

"Now, as for the trade. We have always been interested in metals. We know that the basic metals exist throughout the galaxy, but there is the possibility that your race has stumbled upon some sort of alloy that would be useful to us. Basically, we would be interested to see what metals you have, along with any other exotic materials your planet contains. That is, as long as you would be willing to trade it. In exchange we can supply all the basic needs for your industry. If the need arises, we can even trade you some of our ships or construct ships for you in order to bolster your trade fleet." As Yuntar finished saying this, his associate came up to him.

"They have agreed to the preconditions. But they have a few more suggestions they would like to make." The associate whispered the rest into Yuntar's ear. When he was done, he backed away allowing Yuntar to take the center of the screen again.

"Excuse me for that. I would be happy to inform you that the Slorvian High Council is willing to accept your conditions. However, there are a few things they would like to add to this. As you may have guessed, our people have been attempting to develop our own faster-than-light engine. Even if we receive these engines from you, we will not stop in our development of this technology. We will not reverse engineer your technology to speed up our research, but we will continue along at our own pace. I hope you understand our want to be independent from such limitations." Yuntar paused to see if there was any effect on the Vantry diplomat. The computer was capturing everything, but it would be a while before Yuntar began to pick up on the Vantry body language, if he ever did at all.

"The second point they wish to bring up is the idea of exchanging students between our two races. We are unaware of your culture, but in ours we must educate our young so that they can learn about the environment around them. What we are suggesting is an exchange program that would allow our students to come and observe your culture and possibly join in on your educational system. We wish to learn as much as we can about you, both your culture and your technology. I think this would only serve to strengthen the diplomatic bonds between our races."

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »
Alpha Quadrant, Sector (3,2), Slorv System, Near Construct A-1 Orbiting Slorvian V

Graka scratched his elongated stomach, considering his options. He possibly stood at the edge of a cliff, blindfolded, and his decisions could decide the fate of billions. His superiors would allow him to lose the drive, but not the communications... At least, he would satisfy that want, among others, and hopefully, they would praise him for what he decided upon, "I do not underestimate your race's ability to develop technology, your race's present state is a testament to their ability, but I believe I will have to... push you forward a few years or so. We, and when I say we, I mean the Vantry, have yet to set any kind of principles of non-interference or anything similar, so nothing bars me from giving you the warp technology right now, in favor of strengthened bonds. Perhaps, if things begin to come to hostilities, you will remember who gave you the key to the stars. Tell me where and when to transmit the data, and I will do so."

In Graka's mind, the students could also serve as sufficient collateral for their deal, but he kept this to himself, stating, "I cannot think of anything particularly exotic on our world. Most of the materials that are apparently commonplace on other worlds, are lacking on our's, yet we do seem to have an enormous abundance of diamonds and the such, which from our scans, are less commonplace, though we don't hold them to any real value..." Graka purposefully forgot to mention that Ahm could also produce various gems on-demand, "The students is an interesting idea, but I think they will find our world full of possibly hostile creatures... and sentients in our own Vantry. Some of us don't take kindly to those not like themselves, an unfortunate thing built into their biology. Our history is definitely one of killing each other... In any case, I agree to your deal."

Graka then changed topics suddenly, addressing one of the things the Pathfinder's computer said, "It is true that the Vantry are not one species. There are actually five of us, all sentient, who arose on one planet. This is an anomaly we realize, but I will let your students discover the reason for it." He smiled again with that same indescribable small motion of his mouth, "If you wish to know, 'Vantry' in the Li'Gran language means 'Kin,' something I think the Pathfinder's computer told you. It's previous statement that other races may be accepted into it is true, we are more of an blood alliance than anything else."

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:55 pm »
Alpha Quadrant, Sector(2,3), Heron System, Seania, Charon

The hydron watched as the Great Sea was siphoned into the hovering craft. It was a shame. The hydron would've given some of the sea to these aliens if they had asked to trade. Yet they barge in and take the metals of life. These creatures were taking another species life from them. The hydron military sent out several war barges and let them drft towards the invader's craft. Upon reaching a distance of half a kilometer they began loading the shock troopers into the cannons.
"On three you shall be fired onto this orbiting craft. Almost all of you will die and we may suffer a large population loss. But these invaders are taking that which we crawled from. This is an illegal offense against our nation. We will not allow our planet to be savaged.

ONE

TWO

THREEEEE."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:43:57 am by Bagder Man 22 »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:36 pm »

Yuntar was stunned. The Slorvian High Council had accepted the Vantry's conditions, but then the Vantry decided to turn the tech over to them. There were a few shocked moments of silence before he could speak again.

"I am flattered by your willingness to offer us the warp technology. This is a great day for the Slorv race, and all because of the Vantry. I cannot thank you enough." Yuntar glanced over at the monitor to the Slorvian High Council. They were sitting in silence as well, slowly absorbing the information. They appeared frozen, not a single body movement made amongst the group. "This will no doubt start off our relations on a solid foundation." Yuntar took in a deep breath, still slightly stunned from this turn of events. "And this station would be the perfect place to transmit the data. Each Construct holds a large memory bank capable of storing terabytes upon terabytes of information."

"As for the student exchange, I am glad you are willing to participate in this as well. This galaxy is a harsh place, something that we have learned first hand in our attempts at colonizing our own system. And I do remember your computer talking about five different races, and I saw them as well on the video recording. We are but a single race. Who knows though, perhaps we are the anomaly and you are not. Sentience may require intelligent competition to flourish." Yuntar knew this was unlikely, but it still seemed like the right thing to say. "But I am interested in learning more about your culture, specifically more about your individual races. Your union is most interesting, especially because you have multiple intelligent species. Perhaps someday the Slorv and the Vantry could be considered one entity as well." It was a bold statement to make, and several other ambassadors were taken aback by Yuntar's words. Others saw it as polite conversation since the Vantry seemed interested in talking about the topic. The more you asked about someone, the more you learned.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »
Alpha Quadrant, Sector (2,3), Heron System, Seania, Charon

The Hydron's troops never made it to the Fran's Eyes. The Fran's Eyes was a kilometer above the surface, and as the Hydron war barges were apparently half a kilometer away from it's coordinates in relation to the surface, their troop shells had to be displaced more than a kilometer to even reach the Fran's Eyes. Besides that, the war barges were recognized from quite far away, and allowed to think they could reach the Fran's Eyes. Moments after the war barges shot their troops uselessly into the sky, who eventually fell harmlessly into the molten sea, the drones were all over the barges, lasers going off, approximately 66 per barge.

Graka nodded, and hit a few buttons on his communications equipment. Moments later, hundreds of images and pure-text files were transmitting to the Construct, most of them about the individual components of a warp drive, a few of them about Warped Space Theory, "There. That should be everything you need to know. As to learning about us, I will say that I am a Dar'Gra. There are two species of 'Gra in the Vantry. Dar'Gra can change their color at will. Li'Gra have the ability to... control... non-sentients with a dedicated nervous system. It takes some time, depending on the complexity of the brain of the creature, but it is inevitable. Dar'Gra  once hated the Li'Gra because of this, seeing them as controlling Nature, an old God. Unfortunately, some still do. Thirdly, we have hive mind creatures called the Milute, insectoid, and ravenous. They still keep to themselves, even in recent times, and only a few hundred non-Milute Vantry have ever set foot on their Hive Cities. Fourthly, the Jergo, worm-like creatures that once ate anything that moved and breathed. We still have some trouble with them, a murder-feeding case here and there. Lastly, the Ragta. I..." Graka paused for a moment, considering his words carefully, "the Ragta relate to our planet, you could say that they speak to it. Literally. They're basically crystalline brain-shells on slugs, with electrified tentacles coming out of the shell. Hard to describe. But your students will learn plenty about our world, in time."

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:16 pm »

Yuntar listened attentively to Graka speaking about the different races. As he listed the different races, Yuntar was making connections to the different creatures he had seen in the video log from Construct A-3. Meanwhile, the information was being copied down from the alien ship and immediately beamed out to several different stations through encrypted channels. The Slorvian High Council had ordered a redirection of the information to the Slorvian scientists that had been working away tirelessly at their own version of the faster-than-light engine. They were wasting no time when it came to constructing this new engine. There were already several new ships being constructed in the orbital shipyards that hung above Slorvian III. By High Council decree they would be taken over by the government and systematically restructured to fit the new engine.

Engineers were being called together to look at the new engine and design a new ship around it. There was no cutting corners in this operation, especially when it meant the expansion of the Slorv beyond their home system. It was a huge moment in Slorvian history, and all the while Yuntar was still conversing with the alien who had given them the designs in the first place.

"It seems quite strange that your many intelligent races would unite under one common collective, but I should not be one to judge for I know not the norm of the universe. Later on, after conversing with my leaders, I will send you the information concerning the student exchange program. Is there anything else you wish to discuss? I cannot think of anything else at the moment, but I am sure something will come up with time."

Alpha Quadrant, Sector (3,2), Somewhere in the Slorv System

A large team of scientists had already been present and several engineers had already been staffed alongside them in the government research lab. As soon as the information concerning the faster-than-light engine came in, they had been called to assemble to observe the data. Progress had been slow on the Slorvian design, but there had been several minor successes along the way. Several of the head researchers were able to take a look at some of the missing pieces of data and observe right away what they had been missing all along. It was one of the larger "Eureka!" moments in Slorvian history, and for good reason.

Within the hour the robotic workers were fired up and prepped to begin construction on the first model of the faster-than-light engine. All the necessary resources were there, after all the scientists had been slaving away at trying to create this illusive design, and now that they held the blueprints they were finally able to move things forward.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 04:46:22 pm »

Graka considered all that he had said, and deciding upon, "I don't believe so." He sat back in his chair, scratching his stomach, trying to think of something, "Nope... I believe that's all I was sent here to say." He then rummaged through some papers, making sure he had covered all the bases, "Oh, right, the location of Ahm. I don't think I've given you the coordinates yet. I'm not sure if you understand how our cartographers have decided to map the galaxy, so I'll send you everything including the basic map itself and the coordinates..." He pushed a series of buttons on the equipment, which chirped a strange series of tones, "Alright, should be there. Your own location is on the map, plus some 'landmarks' we've decided upon so that we can orient ourselves in deep space. Simple things, nebulas, etc. I think this ship will remain in orbit until we get new orders, just in case my superiors want a special word with you... How has your population taken the news? Some old novels used to talk about universal panic, etc, in populations. Some of our social theorists have even postulated such reactions as being an indicator of whether or not a species is advanced enough to contact."

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 06:00:04 pm »

"Ahh, thank you for that," Yuntar said as the information concerning the maps came in. "Although we had not discovered faster-than-light travel upon your arrival, we have actually mapped out the galaxy quite well using deep range sensors." As he said this the Vantry map came up on a screen next to the alien ambassador. "I see that you live within the TF-1-DM-3765 system," Yuntar said snorting with his trunk as a sign of laughter. "That is the beautiful name we have designated your sun with." Yuntar snorted again as he closed the map up.

"As for the public. There are mixed views coming from our polls of the people. Most of them are suspicious of you, some want us to ignore you in the hopes that you leave us alone, and some are actually excited that we have made contact and have had peaceful relations thus far." Yuntar neglected to leave out the other small portion of the population that called for immediate war to 'kick back the aggressors from our system' as several different media sites had proposed. "We too have had our fair share of literature involving alien races, with a wide variety of outcomes. I have a feeling that the people were prepared for eventual contact. I believe they would have preferred it if we had been the ones stumbling upon another race, rather than having them stumble onto our doorstep," Yuntar trailed off for a moment before continuing, "but they are content either way. What has been the response on your homeworld? Do they know of the existence of another intelligent species?"

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 06:29:53 pm »

Graka chuckled, a strange gurgling differentiated from his normal speech, "You ask me if they know of another intelligent species as if we weren't five in number. A more accurate question would be; Do they know of another intelligent species on a different planet? The answer, as far as I know, is no. We also prefer to call our star Tapnam, though we never knew of its existence until somewhat recently. The same goes for having words for 'day' and 'night,' something we didn't have until relatively recently, though the Ragta knew of them." The communications equipment near him suddenly chimed, and printed out a message, " 'Message for the Slorv from the Council;'We appreciate your preference for positive relations. We do not aim to ignite interstellar wars, nor do we wish to partake in war anymore. We've had enough blood shed between the species to satiate our appetites for an eternity. We have announced the existence of another intelligent species on another planet. The effect was mostly a slight gladness, confirmation of our previous theories. Other than that, few people seem to care that we're going to be trading with another intelligent species. Our people had already long since accepted this as a fact that would be proven eventually. However, the mining corporations are giving us hell after we briefed all the corporations on your industrial capabilities. Some were delighted, and others, such as the mining gaints like Altcom, are absolutely devastated. They are urging us to not trade with the 'Xenos,' as they're calling you, resorting to insult-tactics. But once they all break, the unemployed will be re-educated, and get new jobs, and all will be well. Live Well and may Ahm's Light shine on all of your species.' Interesting. I expected the mining and industrial corporations to freak out." Graka shrugged, and began reading through a few other reports that flooded to him constantly from the equipment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:33:17 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »

"That is nice to hear," Yuntar said as he listened to Graka read off the message. His eyes darted to the printing machine though as he recognized that a message had just traveled faster than the speed of light in order to reach the Vantry ship sitting before him. He refrained from mentioning anything though, but he made a mental note of it. At the same time, several engineers and scientists who were watching the live broadcast noticed it as well. They were quick to realize the possibilities of faster than light communication. While the Slorv had expanded quite some distance, they had never had a true need for faster than light communication. If anything, it would have made the lives of the outer colonies a little bit nicer, but since the Slorv hadn't ventured outside of their system, they hadn't bothered funding any major programs. Now that they were working on their first faster than light engine, things like this would be necessary in order to maintain an expanding hegemony.

"That is interesting to note that your race has corporations as well. We have several major businesses that have expanded alongside the government in our colonization of the system. I wouldn't doubt that they would wish to expand further out into the galaxy if possible. It will be interesting to see if any competition crops up between our two races." What Yuntar neglected to mention was that the Slorv corporations were bloodthirsty and quite greedy. There had been many examples of corporate backstabbing on many different levels in order to secure the companies standing. For many Slorv, corporations were their lives. They devoted everything to their job. It was one of the government's larger concerns. There was always the possibility of one of the larger corporations breaking free if they had a devoted population. At the same time, this competitiveness was one of the larger reasons that the Slorv had moved to colonize their entire system. Lucrative profits were awaiting those that grabbed the resources while they could.

"I do have another question for you though, Graka. Do you have multiple scouting ships searching the galaxy? Have you found any other examples of life, sentient or non-sentient, in the galaxy?"

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 07:52:01 pm »

Graka considered his words, calculating their impact, "Well, from the moment we discovered how to move faster than light, we've built orbital shipyard after orbital shipyard to build scout ship after scout ship. I honestly don't know the exact numbers, that's a government secret, but we've been producing them at an almost exponential rate as we've built more shipyards to satisfy demand from not only our own scientific groups, but economic ones like the corporations. They've also ordered other designs that take a bit longer to build, but other than that, we've built at least a solid hundred or so. Keep in mind though, most are rather small, unarmed or unarmored. Only recent ones like the Pathfinder have armament, mostly because of how prolific life seems to be. I stopped personally counting the number of ships when the tenth shipyard was built.

"For a little over three of our decades now, our economy has been almost entirely geared towards explore, explore, explore, and we're starting to get into expansion. The general rule is that the corporations will handle the colonization itself, while the government makes sure the colonists' living conditions remain adequate. The exceptions are what we term, "Hab-Worlds," in slang. They're the worlds that are already habitable without breathing apparatuses, or nearly habitable with them. Those will be entirely government-controlled. The Vantry have a very strong ecological sentiment that says we should impact the life of both Ahm and any world as little as possible. Life is sacred, basically. Because of this, we all live in complex cities that contain everything we need; agriculture, low-to-no-pollution industry, solar and wind power, etc. In scanning your cities, I've noticed that there is a radical contrast generally.

"As to the question of life on other worlds, we've discovered that life flourishes in every place it can get a foothold, unusually cold or unusually hot. It's almost considered unusual to not find some kind of life, be it basic bacterial microbes, fossils thereof, or otherwise. The heavily religious among us point to this as proof of Ahm's power." Graka shrugged, "Me? I don't know my own opinion. It could be that life is just something that happens everywhere, with similar genetic constructs like DNA and RNA. Rest assured, our xenobiologists have been having an unending field day since we discovered the first extraterrestrial microbes. Xenobiology is actually offered as a major at most universities now, and it's been rated as the fastest growing technical field, right behind Warp Physicist and Astronaut. Ahm, there's actually a waiting queue for Astronaut. They got too many applicants for far too few spaceships. I guess it's just ordinary Vantry trying to realize their hopes and dreams."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:56:08 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »

Yuntar was somewhat surprised by Graka's comments. By the sound of it, the Vantry had been in space for some time and had a sizable fleet for exploration. This caught him off guard. When they said they had only one planet, he had pictured a barren wasteland for some reason, one with very little of anything. He now realized how stupid that was, but it was still shocking to learn that they had so many ships under their control.

"That is quite a number of ships to have under your control, especially for a race that only has one planet under their control." The Slorv had roughly over a thousand ships, but a large majority were focused on transportation from one orbital object to another. Only two hundred or so were fit for interplanetary travel. That number would probably shrink when the requirements for system to system travel were determined. "Have you found a need for armed ships in space? This may seem like a strange question, but even within our home system, the Slorvian High Council has found a need to keep a small fleet of warships orbiting each planet. The problem lies with our asteroids. Several rogues have decided that they can rob the goods of traders. These war ships are very low tech, but they keep the peace and make sure to keep the bandits in line."

Yuntar took in a deep breath, only the third breath he had taken during this entire conversation. "But when you speak of your cities, you say they are much less polluted than ours? Then your race must truly be one of ecologists. True, there are some leftover solar batteries from old ground stations, but our race relies on the microwave power stations that orbit the planets. Our race has always been one with the environment, even while our industry grows and expands to new levels. The trees our the source of our life, and as such we have honored them by respecting their position and encouraging the growth of forests. The majority of any Slorvian city is found underground, so that the environment can provide the produce necessary to sustain both a Slorv and the wildlife." A message flashed on a nearby screen, showing that the Slorvian High Council wished to speak with him. "But I digress. Graka, it has been wonderful conversing with you. I must apologize though, for my leaders call me to converse personally. I do hope that we can have another discussion soon." Yuntar waited to see if Graka had anything else to say before backing away from the video feed.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »

Graka scratched an eye, stating simply, "Your students will learn that our cities are... in tune...? with the environment itself. You could even say they grow out of the surrounding wilderness, though it hasn't always been this way. We physically can't have microwave power stations in orbit. We can't even have satellites for things like radio transmission. Pretty much no electromagnetic radiation beyond a mix of visible light, UV, and infrared pierces the sky-shield. Anyway, as all Vantry say, 'Live Well and may Ahm's Light shine on all of your species.' " Graka nodded, a literal nod of his head, and waited to see if the Slorv had any communications. In the mean-time, he smacked himself in the head, thinking, Agh. It was so obvious that the Council had communicated faster than light. What moron thought to put FTL communications equipment in here?