Author Topic: [RG] Crystalion  (Read 9383 times)

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
[RG] Crystalion
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:39 am »
Crystalion

Biology
Flesh
   The Crystalion is an unusual creature, around 1.5 m tall.  Its body is highly generalized.  There are three basic layers to the “flesh” of this being
   1.The outer layer is somewhat tough.  It is extremely sticky, which serves both the purpose of holding it together, as well as ensnaring food, ranging from minute particles to medium sized creatures.  It protects the creature from moisture, and gathers oxygen for the next layer.
   2. The next layer is where the nutrient storing cells are located.  However, this creature acts like a poriferan, with the second layer cells acting similar to amoebocytes.  They deliver the food and oxygen throughout the body, and also act to break down food.
   3.The third layer cells are pretty much like a liver in a human.  They do a lot of tasks that are applicable to them, like filtering out toxins from the amoebocytes.  They also store fats, and it also behaves like a muscle.  By that, I mean it interacts with the crystal like structures.  The very center also acts like a center of memory along the crystals.

Crystals
   The crystals:  These are very special.  On the outside, they appear like large crystals, but in reality, they are clumps of electromagnetic fibers.  They behave like the nerves of the Crystalion, sensing touch, electromagnetic fields, basic light/dark seeing, some sound (it makes the clump vibrate), and chemicals.  They also can contract, which allows the Crystalion to move.  However, it couldn't move very fast.  The crystal fibers can also un-clump and retract back into the body mass, or can re-clump and push out of the body in order to gather better senses in that direction.

Reproduction
   Reproduction is a complex matter.  To make a new Crystalion two crystal protrusions fuse.  The first layer from both Crystalion creep over them, and then mix.  The first layer cells then undergo mass meiosis, which then exchange genetic information.  The mixed crystal and flesh then breaks off.  The cells, which is made up of many different combinations of DNA, then try to eat each other.  In the end, the three-seven most dominant genetic codes then “claim” bits of crystal.  They then pull apart from each other.

Communication
     The Crystalion do not communicate with sound, since they cannot produce it, even though they can hear a little bit.  Instead, they use a combination of chemicals produced by the first layer, and electric signals from the crystal fibers.  They have nine different chemicals, which can be in any combination, and can have a wide variation of voltages, amplitudes, frequencies, etc. which allow for whole ideas to be compressed into a single chemical/electrical burst, and as such, can communicate quickly, however, close proximity is required.  The chemicals have basic emotions attached to them, the first three are happy, the next three anger, and the last three sad.  The middle ones (2, 5, 8 ) are pure emotions, while the ones on the ends of the three ranges are combinations, with whatever range they happen to be in being the dominant one. [(123)(456)(789)(123)]

Solar System

The name of the Crystalion system is 1,3 Q,LR,HF-L,HF,HF.  It is seemingly gibberish, but it's really quite simple.  Chemicals 1 and 3, quick pulse of low frequency rising, with high amplitude lowering, and then a long pulse with high falling frequency and high falling amplitude.  For simple folk, it's Crystalia.  It is a binary star system, with a red giant, named the Greater, and a red dwarf, named the Lesser.  Early in the systems development, the red dwarf's system was moving towards the red giants, and the have been caught around each other ever since.  There are a few, small, constantly molten planets near the two suns.  Their names, when translated from their language, are the Three Angry Ones, in reference to their high heat.  However, they were not know until recently, since the Crystalion can't see!   The next one is the Strong One.  It has lots of iron on its surface, causing it to appear rusty, while it also has dark places where there is a lot of obsidian.  Then we have Crystalia Prime, with a moon the Penitent One.  There is a gas giant, called the Hungry One, because it eats passing asteroids, comets, and meteors.  

Crystalia Prime

Crystalia Prime is a somewhat rocky planet, with infrequent rainfall.  The days are hot, and the evenings and nights cooler.  Most of the water is held in massive water tables beneath the planets surface.  Most of the planet had karst topography.  There are extensive cavern systems within the water tables that house a unique variety of lifeforms.  A lot of lifeforms are amorphous like the Crystalion, while some are closer to having more distinct tissues, like jellyfish.  More to come on this issue later.  There are plants, which live mostly above ground, most are non-vascular, and nothing much larger than the Crystalion.  Again, more to come at a later time.  In the planets past, there were shallow oceans, which you can see by the intricate carving of the surface, but for reasons unknown to Crystalion scientists, they eventually migrated to beneath the surface, where most of the water is in the extensive cave system.  Fortunately, there was plenty of life on the land to allow for recovery, and most of the microbes followed the sea into the ground.  The rings are the result of the collision of two small moons.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:33:38 am by Kenotai »

Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

gec05

Re: [AC] Crystalion
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:37:24 am »
Very interesting. It also seems those crystals can act as a skeletal system if they evolve into a more mobile form.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:39:56 am »
They already are done evolving.

gec05

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:42:01 am »
Well I did say "if."  :-\

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:42:44 am »
Ahh.  Are you going to be making an AC creature?

I suppose in a million years or so.

gec05

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:15:14 am »
Dunno yet. Still have plans on my Sombreron. I want to give them a finale, but I want them to go out with a bang.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:41:57 am »
It is possible to keep AC RP separate from RG RP, that's kind of the point.  :P

gec05

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:49:15 am »
I know that. I just want to finish with my Sombreron before I start a new creature.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:19 am »
How about instead of talking about Gec's stuff, we restrain the topic to being about my creature.  :-\

Then again I did bring it up... >.>

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 01:42:55 pm »
I find this creature wonderfully well-done. And yet... I can't help but nitpick some of the more obvious things.

1. A red giant is one of the last stages in a Main Sequence star's life, and it only lasts for a few million years before dying. However, I just assume that the Greater was a Main Sequence until recently. And don't worry, when a red giant formed from a star less than 5 times the Sun's mass dies, its outer layers drift away, leaving behind a white dwarf. It won't explode.

2. You said that these guys were done with evolution, but that is incorrect. Evolution never stops, as creatures keep adapting to their changing environment. Some people say that humans themselves are actually evolving faster than ever now. However, a creature like an octopus may evolve very slowly because of its slowly changing environment.

Other than that I love it, especially the picture of Crystalia Prime. I'm looking forwards to more!
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »
1.  I know.  The Crystalion either don't know or care.
2.  Sorry, that was just a misconception on my part.  I guess what I mean is that crystal fibers->bone won't be happening.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »
Alright, thanks for clarifying! I do appreciate your efforts to make an unorthodox creature.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
I've actually had these since sixth grade, if you can believe it.

I feel I should explain the screen in the first picture.  It is like our TV screen, except using electricity, chemicals, and LOUD sounds.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 01:54:34 pm »
Those two facts are interesting. I often think about a TV for species with different means of communication. Would an elephant TV have big hammers that strike the ground?

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »
Did martyk make that picture of Crystalia Prime? Because if he did, you should give him proper credit.