Author Topic: [AC]The Vantry  (Read 9863 times)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
Re: [AC]The Vantry
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:48 pm »
They had had it coming for a while. I didn't mention how much smog there had been due to the weapons factories and such, and contamination of the water supply, etc. Living conditions once being horrible. It had even started a kind of climate change affect, because they have less atmosphere to influence(only a troposphere), even a small amount of greenhouse gas production can be major. On Earth, we have a huge amount of atmosphere to distill the gases. The only difference on Ahm was that Ahm could regulate the temperature despite the gases, though it was difficult, and didn't always go as planned because of the chaos of gas 'fluid dynamics'.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 10:15:07 pm »
Kinda like The Flood, eh?

Man, this reminds me of Captain Planet.

Still, serves them right for being such dirty freeloaders.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 10:20:44 pm »
Except 'The Flood' wiped out the entire planet. Ahm just melted most of the city, preserving the ecosystem(or what was left of it).

It's one thing to screw with a planet that's naturally habitable. It's quite another to screw with a planet that is alive and lets you live on it. It just took the Vantry a large slap in the face to realize this.  :P

Anyway, I think there will be one more history update, and then their history is mostly finished, and I can move onto other things.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:40 pm »
Vantry History: True Peace

"Vantry Prime, the Juggernaught has broken through... Agh, my eyes!" - Astronaut/Engineer Roger Tearins, on the Juggernaut as it drilled through the sky-shield.

"300 Li years of peace, a monumental accomplishment for the Vantry, considering their bloody tendencies. 900 regular years. Considered to be the de facto period of peace, it is only called 'True Peace' by those who think about it. But those who think of it are now few and far between, and the Vantry have forgotten the old pains of War. They maintain their Military as if ready to fight some unseen menace, but they are no longer real Military men. The old veterans are long dead; turned to dust in their graves. The Vantry have forgotten War, have forgotten what it means to be soldiers, to fight, and die, for survival. I hold my issue with the Vantry by the old adage;'He who doesn't remember history, is doomed to repeat it.' Si via no Ragta, 'Ragta Never Forget' If only this applied to the Vantry as a whole. They do not realize what approaches, slowly, crawling through the streets of their minds and collective subconscious, because they cannot recognize the enemy for what is truly is; War." - Ragtan Supreme Elder Ma'Kai Zuma, speaking to his brethren.

"Greed? Hah, you accuse me of Greed when you yourselves sit comfortably within your homes, play your games, hardly work, and lounge around? I think you are the ones guilty of Greed; Greed for Comfort. I am out searching for new ores and minerals so that you may sit within your homes. I am out digging beneath Ahm's surface. My life is full of work, 31 hours a day, every day. I am merely the Provider; you are the Demander. When you get to the root of the problem, the problem is you people, with your petty demands. The Corporations exist because you demand them to. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. " - Altcom Inc. CEO Claudin III

The period of 700 Li to ~950 Li is perhaps the most tumultuous in all Vantry history, despite the lack of wars. After the survivors of Ahm's Retribution began to reestablish themselves with the novel concept of asking Ahm to grow cities for them, out of its own flesh, they realized just how grateful they should be. As the beginning of the Eco-Balance Revolution, thousands of new ideas emerged in a massive Golden Age. Or Crystalline Age, as many of the inventions created involved some use of crystalline substances.

Sudden, massive growth and expansion resurrected the Corporations, bringing them to greater power than ever before. The tendrils of their control stretched across all the conventional products that a population demanded;food, fuel, and family. They planted the fields in the sections of city designated as agriculture by Ahm, they expanded on Ahm's solar powered external walls with windmills and other 'eco-balance' power sources, and they built the schools that reeducated the survivors, as well as the universities and grants given to researchers to produce new technology. The Corporations literally rebuilt society, from the foundation up. And, eventually, some Vantry had problems with the Corporations' amount of control over their lives.

Led by leaders such as Motanda Guhluk and Mandan Lutana, the 'Civil Disobedience' Movement brought out the hidden evils in the Corporations, bringing the reclusive police that once merely made sure things ran smoothly, to make sure things ran smoothly. The police's logic was simple, these people were disrupting the way of things, stopping traffic, and blockading the malls that kept the people happy. They had to be removed. But, like fighting terrorism in some other country with terrorism of your own, the police brutality only made more Resistance members. Soon, the Corporations were seen less as 'Big Brother,' and more as 'Big Bully'.

The process was slow, as the media were specifically told not to refer to the Resistance as anything other than 'Traitors to Our Way of Life', so information had to travel by letter and verbally. But with the invention of the CrystalNet, information spreading like a 'disease,' as the CEOs jokingly called it. They did their best to clamp down on the servers sending out this information, but for every server disconnected, two more popped up across the world.

After nearly 150 Li years of a tug-of-war between the Resistance and the Corporations, the Corporations eventually had to cave in, as they realized that their entire population was now rallied against them. The Corporations themselves couldn't function without their workers. So they signed the Vantry Constitution, bringing about the Council and the current Vantry government. Sanctuary was rebuilt, and christened Vantry Prime, to house the government.

With victory obtained, the Resistance naturally shifted back into the old way of life, leaving the main issues to the Council. With their newfound sense of empowerment, the rate of technological increase nearly doubled. After a year of advancement, life in the previous year seemed old and outdated (both in Li and regular years). Having lost essentially all sense of xenophobia, the Vantry began to listen to the stories of their Ragtan brethren;stories of the Stars. When asked if the Vantry could break through the sky-shield, the Ragta merely replied, "To do so is to go into the unknown. To go into the unknown, is to commit suicide." Most interpreted the Ragtan words literally, but the more intelligent scientists related 'suicide' to a suicide of the current way of life. So, they forged ahead, trying to figure out how to break on through to the other side.

It took 50 Li years of dedication, but the final result was the Juggernaut; A massive diamond drill that would literally crawl upwards with a huge number of mechanical legs, eventually breaking through into space by creating a corkscrew shape within the sky-shield that would still allow Ahm to block harmful radiation. Crewed by a plethora of engineers that donned primitive exosuits, it eventually rolled onto the top of the sky-shield. The only issue was that the engineers weren't prepared for the blinding light that is the reflectiveness of the sky-shields' surface. They quickly pushed their darkened visors down, and had to wait a few minutes for their eyesight to return before looking around. Even the mecha suit sensors of the Jergo were severely disrupted by the sheer brightness.

Over the course of a few more years, Vantry Beta was built on top of the corkscrew-tunnel dug by the Juggernaught, primarily as a scientific outpost, but later to become the center of space exploration. Dozens of telescopes were built on Vantry Beta, though they only worked when Ahm was facing away from Tapnam, they worked exquisitely. Without any atmosphere interference, and with some blinders to stop excess light, they peered into the depths of the universe. The only issue with Vantry Beta was the intense heat and light of Tapnam, that forced half the day to be utterly useless for the Vantry scientists that wished to look outward. So the solution of space stations in orbit of Tapnam was proposed, and immediately jumped upon by the scientific community. Dozens of Li years later, many Tapnam-Orbiter telescopes were deployed deeper into space.

The telescopes were quickly followed by manned space stations, and deep space research stations after them. Without other planets to explore, the Vantry could only expand outward through asteroid-filled space. Spurred by the issues of spaceflight and survival, they developed shields and sophisticated ways of using Ragtan Alloy(slap some panels on a ship and you're set for radiation, real sophisticated). The only problem with spaceflight was that the Corporations found no use for it; there wasn't anything valuable in space, as the asteroids belts were devoid of anything useful. So, the only development was scientific in nature.

With a greatly built up research department in space, it was only a matter of time before the secret to FTL was discovered. In 937 Li, Warp Theory was proved, and was almost immediately applied practically. It took a few mishaps(explosions and other assorted fun stuff such as sudden black holes that lived long enough to punch a sizable hole in the research stations' walls) involving precautionary Tapnam-Orbiter stations, but the final result was a working drive in 942 Li. Almost immediately, massive construction on prototype scout ships began, ushering in the Age of Galactic Exploration.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »
Vantry Cities on Ahm

Vantry cities on Ahm can be likened to blue, crystalline trees that grow into the sky, getting larger and larger, until they finally end up becoming like the Sky-Shield Supports, stretching from Sky-Shield to the surface. This is a pretty good metaphor for the most part, especially since the cities are in fact the 'flesh' of Ahm which naturally grows and adds more rooms. Within the tree-cities, it can be thought as if the tree is hollowed out, with hundreds of levels connected by a central shaft that the Vantry usually build lifts on and within. Within the hollowed out levels, roadways and such are laid, farms are constructed, etc, with each level receiving different classifications. Beyond that, Vantry designs can be likened to 'modern' and 'industrial' designs, sometimes 'classic' designs are used simply for that sense of the old, as most ancient Vantry cities no longer exist, the Milute Hives excepted. Beyond the 'bark' of the tree-cities, the natural wildlife and land grows without Vantry intervention.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 02:51:08 am »
That. Is. Beautiful.

Giant termite-like megalopolises for the win!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:28 pm »
I finally got around to making a more accurate depiction of the 'Gra as I now envision them... Though I don't quite remember how to resize images in the forum code itself... just HTML.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 05:44:55 am »
Code: [Select]
[img width=500]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1695/gra0001.png[/img]
 :)

Glad to see you guys are back! :)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:58 pm »
I've still been 'here', the Economic Issues thread an obvious sign, but I've been distracted by other things lately.