Author Topic: [AC]The Vantry  (Read 10115 times)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
[AC]The Vantry
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:31:39 pm »
The Vantry; "The Kin"

Ahm, the Vantry Homeworld

I’m describing the Vantry homeworld before I even describe the Vantry themselves, because it’s the root cause of why the Vantry are the way they are, and because it’s so mysteriously weird. Ahm has been described as everything from a God, to a near-impossible coincidence, to a sentient creature, but the Vantry have never merely known it as “Home.”

Their homeworld is known by many names, most of which are different based on what the Vantry talking’s religion is, but the blanket term “Ahm” has existed since the moment the various races of the Vantry could think. The “Ah” is the syllable for awe, combined with the “Om” of thought, resulting in “Awe-Thought,” as a rough translation into English. This is quite literal, as the first stage of seeing Ahm is pure amazement, and once the shock settles down, though it actually never truly does, comes the second stage of thought as to how it exists.

Ahm from space is a glittering diamond jewel, sparkling with the intensity of all Earth’s beauty multiplied by near-infinity. One of the first Vantry astronauts in space literally died of a heart attack upon seeing it, as he was blinded by its brilliance, utterly only, “I think I found Heaven!” (Heaven being the English translation of the astronaut’s religious belief that you went to Yalgo when you died. The non-translated version is, “Dun trak dun te Yalgo!”) Some Vantry scientists have even posited that Ahm could be mistaken for a tiny, abnormal companion star orbiting their main star, “Tapnam,” due to how intensely bright it is. (A cookie to anyone who figures out where the name comes from. Yeah, I was feeling humorous.) You see, this is because Ahm is covered in a crystalline “Geo-Organism,” as Vantry scientists call it, but not on the surface. Instead, it holds up a crystalline “ceiling” that literally blocks out the normal sky.

The Geo-Organism of Ahm is the only thing separating the surface from becoming molten lava. The “Pre-Crystalline” Core of Ahm had long since been dead when it’s thought that the Geo-Organism either evolved or arrived on Ahm, with its mantle having totally solidified into solid rock layers. The Geo-Organism eventually brought it back to life, reheating the rock surrounding the iron-nickel core until it once more became magma, at which point the Geo-Organism, or Ahm itself, started it rotating again, returning the protective magnetic field to Ahm. (You have probably already noticed the difficulty in separating the “planet” Ahm, from the “Geo-Organism” Ahm, a difficulty founded in the fact that the two are literally one and the same. To put it simply, in the Vantry’s eyes, the planet itself is “alive,” but not in the carbon-based organism sense of the word.) After Ahm returned “its” magnetic field to working order, the geological record says that it spread further into the sky using its “Support Trunks” to begin constructing the current sky-shield that is the “ceiling” of Ahm.

The reasoning behind this was simple, because the planet itself was orbiting as close to Tapnam as Mercury does to the Sun, with Tapnam almost a twin of the Sun, the surface was scorching hot, to use an understatement. Life couldn’t possibly thrive in such heats. So, Ahm grew into the sky, until it covered the world with a protective crystal shield that not only reflected most of the light, it stopped any left over harmful amounts of UV and cosmic rays, as well as perfectly distributing what light it did absorb all over Ahm’s surface evenly. The result, no place on Ahm’s surface has ever seen darkness since.

But Ahm discovered something it had overlooked; it had no atmosphere, nor oceans. The atmosphere and oceans had been blown off by the vicious whips of plasma that regularly issued out of the young Tapnam. Though to Ahm, this was only a minor setback. Somehow, it managed to attract the nearby ice comets in the system, guiding them into prepared openings in the sky-shield that closed soon after. Within a few millennia, Ahm had its atmosphere and oceans.

However, it hit the second setback; the lack of volcanic activity in the planet itself meant that many of the elements needed for amino-acids and such were in short supply. So Ahm spent another couple of millennia super-heating the mantle until volcanic activity started again, providing the necessary “primordial soup” for early life. Apparently feeling impatient, Ahm gave life a boost by forming the first basic bacteria days after conditions were perfect.

It then waited, for billions of years, giving evolution a push here and there, until it finally decided to give five species sapience; The Ragta, a race of strange electricity-conducting creatures notable for their ability to directly communicate with Ahm; The Milute, a race of flying hive-mind insectoids; The Jergo, a race that dug beneath the ground in burrows and held a resemblance to worms, if Earth worms had tentacles coming out of their front end; The Dar’Gra, a race of jungle-dwellers that lived in the trees, six-limbed and able to change color at will; and finally, The Li’Gra, the “Light” Gra, who lived on the plains of Ahm, taming great beasts, similarly six-limbed creatures, but unable to shift their skin color at will, though they held a kind of connection to the Ragta, able to “speak” not to Ahm, but to the non-sapient creatures that lived on her.

Basic Physical Descriptions

Ragta

(Rough draft)

The Ragta could be summed up as such; Electro-Crystal Slugs. Their shell is a crystalline symbiote that split off Ahm, and binded to the “slug”. The slug is mostly nothing more than a creature to transport the symbiotic Crystalline Ahm-offspring, the real brain is the crystal. However, the crystalline creature has integrated and manipulated the DNA of its “host”, growing electrical tentacles out of the shell that can manipulate objects with both physical force and electromagnetic forces. Exactly why the first symbiote split off from Ahm is unexplained, perhaps Ahm had some great plan in mind, but since then, all other symbiotes have split off the original and its descendents, which lends itself to the thought; What happens when such a complex organism as Ahm reproduces? Generally recluses, the Ragta tried to keep their heads out of the Species Wars.

Milute

(Rough draft)

The Milute. A strange “hive-mind.” The interesting thing about the Milute is this; take an individual from the Hive, and it’ll continue to function normally, starting a new Hive, as if all memory of the old faded immediately. In general, they’re like overgrown insects, except they have only four limbs, two arms and two legs purely for stopping to rest. An old Dar’Gra saying goes, “Shoot off a Milute’s legs, and you weaken it. Shoot off all its damn wings, and it’s basically dead.” Deadly buggers, Milute are. They can easily reach speeds of over a hundred miles per hour, far faster in a dive straight down. At that speed, especially with such a massive creature as a Milute,(3 meters from head to tail) if you get hit by one, you’d be mush in a few milliseconds. Milute have often taken advantage of this, using their light-yet-super-tough wings to act like enormous knives. An old tactic was to reach their top speed, stop their wings suddenly, and just swoop through a crowd of the enemy sentients, as if the Milute were some kind of automatic slicer. Often times, a Milute attack was the bloodiest of them all when the Vantry used to war within themselves. Strangely, they’ve never had warfare between individual Hive Cities.

Jergo

(Rough draft)

Jergo. Nasty little worm creatures, liked to dig tunnels under the other sentients’ cities until the entire city came falling down, then they swooped in and ate the remains. The Jergo are the only one of the Vantry known to eat the other species, and just about anything else they can get their grubby little tentacles on. While small(a half meter from front to end), they like to swarm, like piranha. Even today, the Vantry Assembly has trouble keeping the Jergo from attempting to consume the other representatives. Every few years, another horror story of a hungry Jergo and a defenseless Li’Gra cub flashes across the news, but things have slowly gotten better. And the Jergo Hunts have generally ended, though these hunts usually ended up with the hunters becoming the hunted. Jergo generally tear up the soil, building massive communal cities underground, like rodents. It’s unsurprising that many Li’ and Dar’Gra generally feel they should all be exterminated like the pests they often are. Their blood is also acidic, making it a pain to kill one.

Li’ and Dar’Gra

(Rough draft)

Gra are odd creatures, six-limbed, but any limb can function as both an arm and a leg at different times. Four eyed and with a thin exoskeleton, one would think they could be classified as insectoid, but they also contain an inner skeleton. Realistically, they’re more a mutt brand of mammal reptile and insectoid. Dar’ means Dark, and Li’ means Light, and the two types of Gra would normally be quite happy to stay far away from each other, being of two vastly different viewpoints. The only real difference between Dark and Light is that Dark lives in jungles and can change color(and are also amazing acrobats and climbers), while Light can’t change color(They have varied skin color), but can tame Ahm’s non-sentient fauna in nanoseconds. Some would argue either side as the better side, but it is likely a debate without an end.

P.S. Don't follow my example and not have images  :-\ I'm in London without a scanner, what can I do?  :P

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:13:29 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: [AC]The Vantry
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 05:36:55 pm »
I GETS A KOOOOOOOKIIIIIIIIIIE

Don't look!
No, Really!
it's PatMan!
GAH! YOU LOOKED!

EDIT: In all seriousness, I quite like this idea. Very cool 8). I look forward to learning more!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:44:02 pm by Kitkat »
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 05:38:23 pm »
Ahm smacks your crystalline entities in the face.  :P

And you just posted that for the heck of it, before finishing your read through?  ???

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:44:43 pm »
I just finished reading it >.>

Look up a post

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 05:47:37 pm »
Sneaky post editer.

Yeah... I didn't get to flesh out Ahm yet like I wanted, but I suspose that's how it goes. And so far I've finished the rough(extremely rough) drafts of the Ragta(LOVE how they look), Milute(still pretty kick-ass), and Jergo(It's basicly a worm, not much to it). The Gra are harder though, they're the more prominent of the five species(Li' and Dar').

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »
I also quite like the collective name of them all. Vantry has a neat ring to it

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »
I absolutely love the idea of Ahm, and I can just imagine how it looks. You really have this whole thing thought out.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »
A big crystalline greenhouse

preeeeetyyyyy

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »
The astronaut was right.

Ahm is teh awesome.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:50:09 am »
Vantry Biologies

Alien sheet:  Ragta

(Section 1 -- Biology)
Type                 :  Terrestrial
Appearance           :  Otherworld
Gravity preferences  : 1.0 – 2.0  g
Temperature pref.    : Temperate
Atmosphere breathed  : Nitrogen/Oxygen
Body cover           :  Slimy, Crystalline Shell
Body color           : Purple, Pulsing Electric Blue Shell and Tentacles
Hair                 : None
Hair color           : None
Eyes                 : None
Eyes color           : None
Body characteristics : Tentacles coming out of Crystalline Shell, Slug Body
Diet                 : Solar Energy and Direct Electrical Energy Intake
Sexual reproduction  : Asexual
Reproduction method  : Budding
Limbs pair n° 1 : Unknown amount of electrical tentacles.
Mass :  ~50 kg
Size :  Constantly changing

(Section 2 -- Culture)
Attributes:
  Militancy       : 1
  Determination   : 15
  Racial tolerance: 20
  Progressiveness  : 10
  Loyalty         : 18
  Social cohesion : 18
  Art             : 0
  Individualism   : 2
  Body            : ?
  Mind            : 20
  Speed           : ?
  Lifespan        : ~100 Earth Years
  Tech level      : 7

(Section 3 -- Government and Religion)
Government type   : Republic
Religion          : Ahmism
Devotion          : Complete

(Section 4 -- Extra things you should know)
Special abilities:
-360 “Vision”
-Blind
-Deaf
-Dampen (Can hinder the operation of electronics)
-Eidetic Memory (Perfect or near-perfect memory)
-EM imaging (Can “see” Electromagnetic fields generated by magnets, electronics, etc.)
-Field sense (Race can detect and orient itself to electromagnetic fields. Like a bird's internal compass)
-Lightning calculator (Race has a knack for mathematics)
-Racial memory (Members of this race have memories of their genetic ancestors.)
-Radiation Tolerance
-Radioactive sensing (can detect radioactivity)
-Radio hearing (Who needs a Walkman?)
-Regeneration (Able to regrow lost body parts.)
-Spectrum “Vision” (Able to “see” radio waves, gamma rays, and X-rays,)
-Time Sense (Race always knows what time it is.)
-(Special Addition by Myself)RADAR

Alien sheet:  Milute

(Section 1 -- Biology)
Type                 :  Flying
Appearance           : Insectoid
Gravity preferences  : 1.0 – 2.0 g
Temperature pref.    : Cool High Atmosphere
Body cover           : Exoskeleton
Body color           : Electric Blue and White
Eyes                 : 2, Bug-eyed
Eyes color           : Electric Blue
Body characteristics : Wings
Diet                 : Herbivore(Milute Syrup)
Sexual reproduction  : Sexual
Reproduction method  : Eggs
Limbs pair n° 1 : Arms
Limbs pair n° 2,3,4,5 : Wings
Limbs pair n° 6: Legs
Limbs pair n° 7: Delta-Tail-Wings
Mass :  ~200 kg
Size :  ~3 m from head to tail

(Section 2 -- Culture)
Attributes:
  Militancy       : 19
  Determination   : 19
  Racial tolerance: 2
  Progressiveness  : 10
  Loyalty         : 19
  Social cohesion : 19
  Individualism   : 0
  Body            : 17
  Mind            : 9
  Speed           : 20+
  Lifespan        : 80 Earth Years

Government type   : Monarchy
Religion          : Royalism, Ahmism
Devotion          : Highly devoted to Royalism if in a Hive City, generally devoted to Ahmism if the Milute is a Free-Thinker.

Special abilities:
-Acute Vision
-Bonus Skills
--Pilot
-Cold Tolerance
-Heat Sensitivity
-High Fecundity(High birthrate)
-Hive Mind
-Infrared Vision
-Night Vision
-Ultraviolet Vision(added myself)
-Polarized sense (Not what you'd think. Sense of the race can quickly adjust to changing conditions)
-Quick Maturity
-Swarm
-Toughness (It... Won't... DIE!)
-Winged Flight

Alien sheet:  Jergo

(Section 1 -- Biology)
Type                 : Terrestrial
Appearance           : Worm-like
Gravity preferences  : 0.0 – 5.0 g
Temperature pref.    : Anything between the cold of space and the heat of space
Body cover           : Exoskeleton
Body color           : Brown
Hair                 : Millions of tiny vibration-feeling hairs.
Hair color           : Brown
Eyes                 : Vibration Sense
Eyes color           : None
Body characteristics : Worm-like
Diet                 : Omnivore, Lithovore
Reproduction method  : Live Birth
Limbs pair n° 1 : Unknown number of tentacles coming from mouth.
Mass :  ~25 kg
Size :  ~50 cm from front to end

(Section 2 -- Culture)
Attributes:
  Militancy       : 20
  Determination   : 20
  Racial tolerance: 0
  Progressivness  : 10
  Loyalty         : 0
  Social cohesion : 16
  Individualism   : 18
  Body            : 15
  Mind            : 8
  Speed           : 5(Aboveground), 15(Belowground)
  Lifespan        : 40 Earth Years

Government type   : Anarchy
Religion          : Varied
Devotion          : Varied

Special abilities:
-Acid Secretion/Blood
-Blind
-No Sense of Smell or Taste
-Cold Tolerance
-Heat Tolerance
-Disease Tolerance
-Fast Healing
-High Fecundity(High Birthrate)
-Odious Racial Habit(Cannibalism, Eating other Sentients)
-Pressure Support(Not enough for the vacuum of space)
-Quick Maturity
-Toughness (It... Won't... DIE!)
-Ultrasonic communication
-Ultrasonic hearing
-Vibration sense (Race is very sensitive to vibrations)
-Vibrolocation (Echolocation turned up to 11! Able to echolocate by only using ambient noise)

Alien sheet:  Gra(Both Varieties)

(Section 1 -- Biology)
Type                 : Terrestrial
Appearance           :  Reptilian
Gravity preferences  : 1.0 – 2.0 g
Temperature pref.    : Temperate
Body cover           : Scales
Body color           : Shifts if Dar’, is Varied if Li’
Eyes                 : Four
Eyes color           : Black
Body characteristics : A long “tongue” coming out of their mouth, used to control animals if Li’, cut off from birth if Dar’.
Diet                 : Omnivore
Reproduction method  : Eggs
Limbs pair n° 1,2,3 : Arm-Legs
Mass :  ~100 kg
Size : 2 m from head to tail

(Section 2 -- Culture)
Attributes: The first is Li’, the second is Dar’
  Militancy       :  8,15
  Determination   : 16,19
  Racial tolerance: 18,8
  Progressiveness  : 10,10
  Loyalty         : 10,10
  Social cohesion : 10,10
  Art             : 8,12
  Individualism   : 10,10
  Body            : 12,16
  Mind            : 11,11
  Speed           : 15,15
  Lifespan        : ~100 Years

Government type   : Republic
Religion          : , Ahmism
Devotion          : Varied

Special abilities:
-Bonus Skills
--Combat
-(Dar’)Chameleon Skin
-(Li’)Non-sentient Ahm-Life control
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:46:48 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:40:59 am »
Vantry Home System Data

(Section 1 -- System)
Star: Tapnam
Star Type: Medium Yellow(Sun-Twin)
Planet #1: Ahm
Planet #2: A massive ring of asteroids, failed planets, stretching for dozens of AU from Ahm’s orbit. Why they failed to form is a mystery.

(Section 2 -- Terrain and Atmosphere)
Size: 1.5 Earths
Gravity: 1.8g
Average Temperature: Mild
Liquid: Oceans of Water
Land-Liquid Ratio: 50%-50% (Ahm’s doing, of course)
Average Terrain: Tropical
Continents: 1
Density: Dense
Composition: Nitrogen, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Water Vapor, Other Trace Elements
Length of Day: Based on rotation, the “Day” is 31 Hours, but the actual Day never ends.
Length of Year: 80 Earth Days, ~62 Vantry Days

(Section 3 -- Life)
Main Species: Vantry(Li’ and Dar’Gra, Milute, Ragta, Jergo)
Native Animals: Varied and Plentiful Fauna
Imported Animals: None
Native Plants: Varied and Plentiful Flora
Imported Plants: None

(Section 4 -- Development)
Structures: Complex Buildings
% Urban: 100% of Land, 10% of Ahm
Spaceports: Orbital(To be built eventually)
Imports: Refined and Manufactured Materials(Obvious damage to Ahm’s ecology has long been outlawed)
Exports: Food, Raw Materials, “Rare” Jems(Practically an enormous unlimited supply due to Ahm’s ability to produce diamonds and other crystals as if they were nothing.), Advanced Technology
Capital: Vantry Prime, a “floating” city on the sky-shield, suspended only by robust connections to the sky-shield.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:38:29 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:10 am »
Vantry History: Day 0 to the Li’Gra First Record of History

“Vantry history can be explained back to Day 0 purely because of the Ragta. Without them, we would only be able to guess at what occurred before we Li’Gra could record history. The only peculiar thing about the Ragta stories is how all-knowing they often are. How could what is essentially a slug with a crystalline shell know everything that was going on beneath the sky-shield? The only answer is that their supposed ability to “speak” to Ahm has enabled them to know things that only a God could know. The logical connection is that Ahm is God.” – The Book of Ahm, Chapter 1: Arguments for Ahm’s Godhood, Verse 1

The only reason the Vantry can say “Look upon our history…,” is because of the Ragta. History requires the passage of time, but when the passage of time cannot be physically tracked, history falls apart, as it does on Ahm. There is no sunrise or sunset, no night sky, and consequently, no visible stars, nor is there a passage of seasons. To the Vantry, for thousands of years, there was only Ahm, their world, and no evidence to the contrary. Sitting in their crystalline bubble, the Vantry likely would’ve been content to remain within its heavenly, perfect confines, believing there wasn’t a world beyond the sky-shield, if it weren’t for the Ragta. From the moment the first Ragta recieved the Voice of Ahm, they knew that time existed. The Ragta, only, could speak to Ahm and see beyond the sky-shield, peer into the depths of space, see the burning Tapnam star for what it was. But they never became egotistical with their knowledge, like a species such as the Milute or Dar’Gra might, and so they set out to record History, as Ahm saw it.

At Ahm’s request, the Ragta never speak of the Before-Time, the period before sentient life existed on Ahm, though they know of it. But they have carefully documented, in the physical realm, everything since. Though, the exact location of the Archive is unknown to non-Ragta, and they guard its location as if it were more important than anything else in the universe. But there are those who doubt its existence, believing that with all the knowledge of Ahm at their disposal the moment they connect to Ahm, there would be no need for a physical archive. This is possible because they say that the period between the first Li’Gra historical record and Day 0 can be summed up in one word, “Boring.” Nothing much happened besides the spread of the five races, though each kept their distance from each other, wary of the other.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »
Vantry History: The Brother War and the Worm War

"The damn worms are all around and beneath us here at Fort Regulin, and it's only a matter of time before they sink the entire fort. The fearless scouts keep listening to the ground, reporting that they can hear the worms digging like mad. No ****. The ground itself is shaking like some kind of unbalanced rock trying to keep itself from falling off a pen point, and every time one of my men falls, a few worms come up out of the ground suddenly, ripping him apart until there's nothing left. But that's not the worst thing about this position. The worst thing is that we got sent out here to fight an enemy we can't see, can't attack, can't even defend ourselves against. The damn King's Engineers told us that we'd be building the fort on granite, that the worms couldn't break through solid granite. So much for that idea.

"Why the hell are we out here? To be bait? Food for the worms? I would've never thought that saying could apply to the living, until I came here. There's nothing to be gained by holding this position, which will just mean we'll die eventually. All we learned is that they can break through any rock, and no place is safe. Damn worms. We've got to try to run." - Li'Gra Lieutenant Marshan, report found on mangled body just south of Fort Regulin, then a gaint hole in the ground, Year 108 Li.

The Li'Gra were the first to form a semblance of civilization beyond the tribal, and they took advantage of this to expand across all the plains of Ahm within a century. While the Li'Gra expanded, the Dar'Gra carefully watched, wary, waiting for the possible enemy to come to them so that they might strike it. The Dar'Gra disregarded the similarities between them and the Li'Gra, mostly because of their jealously of the Li'Gra' technologies. But the Li'Gra cannot also be called the innocent victims in the bloodshed that ensued between the two races, because their greed for wood drove them to push into the forests;the outer realm of the Dar'Gra tribes. Which race struck first is unknown, but they both retaliated in kind, sparking the first Brother War. But the Dar'Gra were not the most dangerous threat to the Li'Gra Kingdom, no, that threat was not above in the trees, it laid below, in the very dirt the Li'Gra once thought solid and stable.

The Jergo originally existed only in the Archian Desert that is the only point on Ahm to not recieve rain in any good amount, and, consequently, if no rain fell in one year, there would be a sudden constricting of the land's ability to feed its inhabitants. This is what happened in 107 Li. Driven out of the desert by a lack of food, the Jergo suddenly found a feast in the plains, forests, and jungles of Ahm. The first recorded attack is on a Li'Gra village, by a medicine doctor who managed to barely escape with five limbs still attached to his body, "The ground shook suddenly. It was like nothing I'd ever felt before, and I am old;nearly sixty-two at the time. None of the oral histories spoke of the ground shaking, so we all assumed it was the end of the world, and gathered around the village center, holding hands and waiting. In a way, we forced it to be the end of our world by being so stupid.

"They, the worms, came up out of the ground all around us, between us, under us. Some were dragged down still alive, kicking and screaming. This fate generally befell the children. I witnessed one of the beasts swallow four eggs whole, and then retreat back into the ground from... I... I don't wish to describe the other deaths... Manglings... My own child ripped in half before my eyes. I'll never forget those sights, even when my own sight is gone. One of them took one of my arms off seconds after they attacked. I didn't feel the pain;too in shock. I just started running, sprinting, as fast as I could to get the hell away. Others ran. I saw the worms devour them too.

"I guess I got lucky... But if there's one thing I'll never let go after that, never forgive myself for, it was for leaving a youngling to bleed to death on the ground, all his arms ripped off. I guess the worms had their fill of him. Maybe they thought it was funny to watch us slowly die. I'll never know. I just know I kept running." From then on, it was war between the Li'Gra and Jergo, even if it was somewhat of a one-sided affair. The Li'Gra Kingdom struggled to hold back the Jergo, and was forced to give up on the wood of the forests in order to prevent a two-front war, although technicially, a war with the Jergo is a war with the front everywhere.

The Li'Gra tried everything they could to stop the Jergo, walls, special weaponry that failed, building on supposedly safe rock. None of it worked. The Jergo dug under and collapsed the walls, their acidic blood melted the Li'Gra bronze weapons, and they still managed to break through the harder rock layers, though they did so slowly. The Li'Gra searched in desperation for some metal which the Jergo couldn't melt, and found their savior in iron. Iron working gave the Kingdom a chance to fight back, armoring its soldiers with iron armor that the Jergo were also unable to bite through, on their arms, as arms had always been the most targeted feature in Li'Gra-Jergo fights. For a weapon, the Li'Gra invented the Bai'Chan, or "Wind Snapper", a spear that got its name from the snapping sound of the air being "cut" when a Li'Gra warrior struck with it. The main difference between the Wind Snapper and a regular spear was that the Wind Snapper was entirely metal, and had a spearhead shaped like a flattened pick-axe.

Ultimately, things settled into a kind of stalemate, with the Jergo making attacks every now and then in Kingdom territory, and the Dar'Gra keeping to themselves in the trees. At least, it lasted until the Milute decided to bring their sharp wings into the equation.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
Oh, I can't wait for the next installment of their history. I always did love history, have I ever mentioned that? You do a great job of describing the wars in such a way that I actually connect with the characters emotionally. Fantastic job, and keep up the good work!
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 04:01:59 pm »
I love this topic. I absolutely love it.