Author Topic: [AC] Chara'ai Crystalline entities  (Read 13110 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: [AC] Chara'ai Crystalline entities
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:51 pm »
Evolution, Part II: First Steps into Sentience
Civilization, Part I

Over the course of some 3 billion years from that first colony's realization of itself, many other colonies had also developed self-awareness at the advice of the Prime Colony, through radio. The Prime Colony was not only the most intelligent, but also the largest, encompassing some 2 square miles of crystal bed, and stretching a quarter mile into the air at its highest point. As such, it became the nerve center of this huge consciousness. At this point, the Prime Colony alone greatly surpassed the powers of a biological mind. They began to think about more complex matters, namely mathematics. But it was found that even with a capability greater than a biological brain, a computer must first be programmed with algorithms. To begin with, they experimented. They soon realized simple thinks like 1 + 1 = 2. That was a great leap. They found that addition was very inefficient at higher numbers, and set out to think more abstractly, continually reconfiguring themselves in many ways, eventually stumbling across the theory of multiplication. It was this that sparked a realization: "If math can be applied to simple things like numbers, maybe we can apply math to more complex matters!" And as such, physics was experimented with. The outer colonies listened in amazement, as their leader gained intelligence at lightspeed, soon pulling themselves into their "great project of existence". Strength in numbers had so many wonderful levels of meaning! What more is there to learn? We must find out!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:38:36 pm by Kitkat »
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:42 pm »
A whole race of mathematicians? It's like the polar opposite of humanity!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:25:47 pm by UFO King »
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 06:29:56 pm »
That was just begging to be sigged :D

EDIT: But apparently, it was too big D:

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 06:57:40 pm »
Civilization, Part II: More to the World Than Just Science

By 4.5 Billion years, the colonies had been fully integrated into the Prime Colony, in a great alliance called the Prime Collective. By this time, most colonies that would ever encounter the outside world were developed to full sentience, and most were perfectly happy with living together on this wonderful world of theirs. However, some of the newer colonies were threatened by the intelligence of the Prime Collective, and sought to rebel against the Prime Colony and its allies. Diplomacy would do no good, and it was being tried in every way possible, but the rebels, calling themselves the Coalition of Autonomous Entities, would hear nothing of it. For hundreds of years, they lived in resentment of the Collective, frantically trying to prepare for the day, they thought, when they would finally be attacked (mentally, of course) by the Collective. They themselves formed a strong mental bond, becoming the Autonomous Collective, to strive for ways to defeat their enemy. They would make such technological advancements as engineering, using certain minerals mixed into a normal crystal structure, creating such things as electromagnets powering basic machines.

Things were going down, and nothing good could come of it unless they could settle their differences...

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 07:28:27 pm »
That was just begging to be sigged :D

EDIT: But apparently, it was too big D:
It's okay, I shortened it.

This is a pretty well-written history. I'm looking forward to more.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:18 pm »
OH MY GOSH! THIS GUYS ARE FREAKING AWESOME! :o :o :o

Hope to see more! :o

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
Civilization, Part III: Arms Race to the Stars

For 50 years, the Collectives watched each other warily. The Autonomous continued with its technological advancements, creating the first motor vehicle, a large sea creature like beast controlled directly by the Autonomous Collective. It drove a test course several miles outside of the Autonomous's main colony, in a territory far out enough, close enough to Prime Territory, for the Prime Collective to sense it. They were incredulous at the sight, and quite worried. They certainly had the knowledge to create such things; why hadn't they? How could a technologically inferior race create something so advanced while we just sat pondering equations in our mind? We must react!

And so, they began to apply their vast knowledge to the creation of a machine. This machine would be the pinnacle of their scientific achievements, putting every scrap of knowledge into it. Not only would it be able to move as the primitive carbon-based life on the planet did, it would be capable of repressing these infernal machines of the Coalition. The Prime machines functioned much in the same way as the Autonomous' machine's did, though with math on their side, the Prime's machines were much more reliable and quick to build. Not only that, but the had an unknowing knowledge of weaponry; their experiments with physics yielded many "failures"—destructive happenings—that they now realized would be extremely useful. For example, a projection of radio on various frequencies, going slowly up and down the scale, killed the researchers by shattering the crystals—resonance. If directed, this beam would destroy the war machines, and, if absolutely necessary, the barbaric measure of aiming it at a colony and destroying it.

So, 72 years after the start of the cold war that divided the planet, action was taken on the Prime's side. It sent out two of their warships to dispatch the growing army of the Autonomous, starting the War of Chara Alpha XII. Despite its designation of a full scale war, very little fighting was done in reality; mush was done with diplomatic relations and passive measures. The War raged between the naval powers of the two sides, and with the armies' growing sizes, it was thought that the sea would soon become unliveably dangerous. For the first time, the Prime sought to actively explore their world physically, rather than mentally. A small colony was cultured in multiple personal vehicles. It was long determined that it would be impossible to move in air the same way it was possible to move in the water, so a walker system was devised for the exploration group—the first instance of the Chara'ai using a mobile, artificial body.

They Explored much of the planet, finding a great many things, and documenting innumerable things for study later. Of these was the presence of independent colonies scattered over the surface. These were found to be much denser than the aquatic Autonomous and Prime crystals, these were built to survive the harsh environment of the atmosphere. As such they were found to much blunter, in more ways than one. They were more like rounded stones, pounded from the wind, and had the intelligence one. The exploration was cut short when it was found that the party's exploration suits were rapidly deterioration; they had to get back to the water.

The Prime weren't happy with the results of the search; the outside was a bad environment, it would be too difficult at the moment to conquer the land. News of this reached far and wide, somewhat demoralizing the Prime, but when it finally managed to get to the Autonomous, they were delighted. A vast land all to us! What's more, we get the high ground! Research was done into resisting the environment of the atmosphere, and they soon began experiments. It was found that the higher the mineral content in the crystalline structure, the more resistant it would be. This lead to the creation of a sort of exoskeleton to protect the entities in harsh environments, a big technological advancement in history.

When the Prime got wind of this achievement, they were worried. The would not go well for them. They were loosing their chance at claiming the land fast, perhaps faster than they could overcome it. They were loosing the war, and they had to step up their game. Since they couldn't easily fight them on level ground, the Prime considered ways of how to fight the Autonomous from the safety of the water. Their knowledge of physics led them to experiments with gravity, namely ballistics. They worked on applying this theory to weapons, and came up with a basic catapult. Their only problem was that using a throwing technique, they would get perhaps 100 feet at best. They searched the archives of knowledge, looking frantically to something that would help, and found a very old experiment: Chemical reactions. It was found that mixing several chemicals together produced a very violent effect, and physics dictated that directing this force would provide the necessary force to propel a projectile thousands of feet, perhaps several miles with sufficient mixes and quantities of chemical compounds.

And thus, the first rocket was created.

EDIT: Dammit Yuu!

Anyway, thanks :D

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 10:06:57 pm »
On a curious note...

When they finally reach into the stars, will they colonize other worlds via seeding them with meteorites?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:12 pm »
That sounds like a good idea, Yuu. And this reminds me of USA vs. Soviets all over again.

"We've got an atomic bomb!"
"Well, we've got one too!"
"Well, we've got a hydrogen bomb!"
"Well, we've got an artificial satellite!"
"Well, we've got a man on the moon!"
"Well, we're disintegrating because of that idiot comrade Gorbachev's openness! Oh, no, here come the Germans reuniting! Arrggghbll..."
"I'm the only superpower! Sweet! Now to make Iraq the 51st state!"

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
"I'm the only superpower! Sweet! Now to make Iraq the 51st state!"

That one made me chuckle. ;D

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 04:59:38 am »
I have to wonder what their reaction would be when discovering Ahm for what it is.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 07:17:14 am »
Probable crystalgasm, methinks! ;D

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 07:21:41 am »
Maybe they'll all convert to Ahmism.  :P

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »
What is it with crystals in this galaxy? I dunno, but I like it.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 01:37:08 pm »
Well, the Crystalions don't really count. It's just this and Ahm.