What shall we do?

Follow the red line
0 (0%)
Follow the yellow line
3 (75%)
Follow the blue line
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Shades of Grey  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Shades of Grey
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:38:29 am »
“Rise and shine, pansies. It’s a brand new day on Lyncis Two. If you do not all vacate your cells in five minutes and get your worthless asses down to the cafeteria, I will be opening this place up to the heavens, and by the almighty lords I will enjoy watching you die.” The threat didn’t get the two hundred prisoners to go any faster, but the warden liked giving out threats. But the three other wardens under him were never fazed by his threats to make them take nighttime walks in temperatures almost a hundred degrees below freezing, the three scientists were always up at the wreck in the mountains, and robots are hard to intimidate properly. So he had make do with the prisoners.

But these weren’t the easiest to intimidate. These were the really evil people. They had terrorised entire systems, made ecosystems come to the brink of collapse, or some other travesty. But they weren’t insane. They were just sane enough. And Stanton Maynerich had to get one of them off of this rock.

He had been hired to get some Node out of prison, one Lenna ‘Shredda’ Barbadillo. His employers didn’t say why they needed this one guy specifically. Probably because he was such a powerful Node. The victims he left…cut from the inside out with their own nannies. Earned him a one-way ticket to this hellhole when they eventually caught him. Had to bring in Commandos to take him down.

Maynerich entered the Cafeteria, a huge dome, split into two halves, one for the kitchen and storage, the other for seating the entirely human population. Around the dome were Security Drones, watching like hawks on the rabble below. Maynerich got in line for the standard prison-grade slop with everyone else. Fellow inmates were serving it, having got up several hours ago to prepare it. It was all part of the punishment: menial labour, instead of just having robots to do it.

Maynerich got to the end of the line and looked over the tables. Barbadillo was sitting on a full table, but no really paying attention to the others on it. There were some tables not entirely full, and some empty ones.

Approach Barbadillo
Sit in an available space
Sit at an empty table

Feel free to elaborate on your answers.

Yes, I'm doing a sci-fi story game. The character is supposed to be some gun-for-hire.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Shades of Grey
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:06:19 pm »
Let's not approach him just yet.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »
This looks interesting. I'd like to see some more detail on the Prisoners though. Like are any of them Alien?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:42:37 pm by Snork »
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:51:14 pm »
Sit in an available space.

This looks cool.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:14:08 am »
Approach Barbadillo Wins

The table Barbadillo was sitting at was already full. Five other people sat beside him, morosely eating their prison-grade slop. Four were human, the other an alien, a Katarine, a weird plant-looking thing with twelve legs that could easily be used as hands. It was using its long sensory tongue to taste the food and air around it, occasionally using the mandibles on its appendages to turn the food into digestible paste.

Maynerich sidled up to the table. It was in the middle of the room, furthest from the drones. All the other tables surrounding it were full as well. Maynerich coughed politely. Five pairs of eyes looked at him, and a tongue quickly shot up to regard him.

“Uhm, hi. I was just wondering whether I could talk to mister Barbadillo. Alone.” The scrawny, scruffy-haired, tired-looking guy just stared straight at Maynerich as the others looked back and forth between them.

The largest of the four, a man of wild disproportion caused by cybernetic and nannie enhancements, got and loomed over Maynerich. “Oh really? You want us to move so you can get the best seats? Well, well, well, what do we think about that, boys?” The others murmured things. The Katarine kept on eating.

“Look, maybe you don’t know who I am, huh? You know the Tannhauser Gate? The City in Space? First of its kind? Four years that was mine. Nobody made a move in that city without me knowing. An entire battalion of Police Commandos was brought in to bring me down. Had to divert attention from the Doppler Verge. Because of me, that area may never fall under Union control again. So you think some little terrorist scares me? You’re not even a Node. I bet you don’t even have any enhancements. You think I’m some sort of devil, don’t you? Well maybe I am.” The security drones were all focused on them now, ready to fire at the first sign of blood. But this slab of a man could probably kill Maynerich with a single punch.

Then a voice calls out. A calm collected voice. But one from somebody who doesn’t speak much. “I think you’ll want to step away from the man, Filiberto Clar.” Once again, all the eyes turned to Barbadillo.

“What makes you think you can stop me, little man?”

“You know full well who I am, Clar. And you know I could kill you without making you bleed. Just how many nannies are there in your system? The amount of time I’ve spent with you, I could control every single one in an instant. You don’t even bother to protect yourself. Now take your cronies and go find some other table.”

To Maynerich’s surprise, the large man grunted, picked up his tray and left, snarling all the way. The other three men left as well, leaving only Barbadillo and the alien on the table. Maynerich sat down.

“I kind of wanted to talk to you in secret. Can we get him to move or something” he said, indicating to the still-eating alien.

“Oh don’t worry about him. He won’t even register what we are saying. He came here at the same time as you did. The wardens were pretty unprepared. They won’t be getting a translator for him for a while. Now, what was it you wanted?”

Tell him the truth
Tell him a lie
Avoid the question

Feel free to elaborate.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:35:40 am »
Tell him the truth wins

Maynerich leaned in, speaking in a whisper. “I have been employed to get you out here.”

“Who by? There are many groups out there who would like to use my…talents.”

“They didn’t say. All they said was to tell you that they looked out for people like you, and they had the resources to support you. I don’t really know what they mean…”

“I know who they are.” He nodded to himself. “Yeah, I guess I could use their help. OK. I’m down at the coast this morning, collecting samples of the native life forms. What is your name?”

“Stanton Maynerich. Why?”

The Shredda didn’t reply. His eyes darted left and right, as if he was reading some invisible book. “You’re up at the wreckage today. We’ll meet in the Common Area afterwards. We only have a quarter of an hour then; I have to call the psychologist. You can tell me more then. That’ll give us a couple of hours to come up with plans to get off this rock. See you then.” He then got up and left Maynerich.

After breakfast, Maynerich was in an all-terrain transport speeding over the bare landscape up to the mountains. This planet wasn’t nearly important enough to have names for things. After half an hour’s travel, they had reached the wreckage of the ship.

The builders of the ship were long dead. It stood to reason that if they were still around, somebody would have cleaned up. But, by the grace of some power, some planets had the wreckage of spaceships belonging to civilisations long since gone. And there was no point in letting fancy technology go to waste, was there?

The problem with salvaging was that it was not very often that anything useful was found. More often than not, society already had things far more advanced than what was on the ships, or the systems were so alien, it was impossible to even begin to reverse engineer anything.

It was getting to the point where the wreckage would soon be taken to the nearest system and sold to some antiquity collector. If that didn’t happen, it would be turned into scrap, as nearly everything of interest had been found and documented. But, while it was still here, prisoners would still be required to help excavations. They may even find something useful, however unlikely.

The striking thing about this ship was the fact that it seemed to be modular, like LEGO, or, to use a better analogy, a home made computer. All the larger systems could be taken apart and, presumably, put onto another ship. This was, of course, an idea put forward by many engineers in the past, but nobody could figure out how to get the computers on board the ship to recognise that the all the systems from the old module had gone and to recognise all the new systems. Best case scenario, one system, like refilling vending machines, would need to be manually installed when the ship had left a refit station. Worst case scenario, the ship’s computer would have something similar to the Blue Screen of Death that plagued old Microsoft computers back around the turn of the millennium. This could be disastrous if the refit station didn’t respond in time to aid.

The task now was to find the computer’s memory towers, possibly deep within the bowels of the ship, not far from the bridge, which also had yet to be unearthed.

The three scientists addressed the free labour known as the prisoners before them. They had security drones to their sides in case things got nasty. “OK, you will be split up into teams of four. In your spacesuits you have trackers. Your primary job is to map the ship, which is what the trackers are for. Also, if anyone tries to run away, we can fill your suit with a sedative easily. We will be in contact the whole time. Now, any questions before you enter the ship?” A hand shot up. “Yes?” The way she said it, it sounded like she knew the question.

“Do we have weapons?” Some of the inmates who had obviously already been up here suppressed a laugh.

The scientist sighed. “No, you do not have weapons for one reason. We are the only lifeform on this planet that is multi cellular. In fact, the only forms of life with nuclei, if I’m not mistaken. You don’t need to protect yourself from anything. However, you each have your own bolt cutter, strong enough to open doors or bulkheads that are in your way. Now, off you go gentlemen.”

Maynerich found himself at a junction, along with the other three that were with him. On the ground were lines that presumably led to different parts of the ship. One was red, one was yellow, and one was blue. “So, which way?” asks one of your companions.

Follow the red line
Follow the yellow line
Follow the blue line

Feel free to elaborate, and come up with escape plans.