Author Topic: Forum Navigation  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Forum Navigation
« on: March 26, 2005, 02:26:56 pm »
So, in trying to stay current with all the posts people are making, the "Show unread posts since last visit" link has become one of my best friends. However, I notice that it doesn't actually cover all my unread posts.

As an example, when I click that link I have about 15 unread topics in various threads, but when i go to the forum main page and click on the Spore thread I have nearly 30 topics with new posts. Is there a reason for this happening? is this discrepancy intentional? I tend to click on a thread (i.e. pc games, everything else, site news) and if I see that there are too many posts I put off reading them for another time, but then that thread shows up as 'read'. Could this be messing things up?

Man, I feel like such a forum n00b. Any suggestions/advice/fixes from anyone?  :-[

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Navigation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 02:34:00 pm »
The board is running on SMF, which is relatively new software. Perhaps it is an unfound/unsolved bug, or it might just be you.  ;D

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 03:02:11 pm »
So, in trying to stay current with all the posts people are making, the "Show unread posts since last visit" link has become one of my best friends. However, I notice that it doesn't actually cover all my unread posts.

As an example, when I click that link I have about 15 unread topics in various threads, but when i go to the forum main page and click on the Spore thread I have nearly 30 topics with new posts. Is there a reason for this happening? is this discrepancy intentional? I tend to click on a thread (i.e. pc games, everything else, site news) and if I see that there are too many posts I put off reading them for another time, but then that thread shows up as 'read'. Could this be messing things up?

Man, I feel like such a forum n00b. Any suggestions/advice/fixes from anyone?  :-[

Right now it just shows the last 20 posts on the site, that's all. It doesn't matter who posted them, it's just time based. I can make it larger, but it can get out of hand (like 100 posts on a single page).

But under your "user info" (the box in the upper left corner) there are two links you can use:

"Show unread posts since last visit."
"Show new replies to your posts."

Give those a try!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 03:12:51 pm »
I'm actually referring top the 'show unread posts since last visit' link under the user info tab at the top left. I think what it's doing is ignoring topics, as long as I visit the thread. So if I decide to go to the Spore thread, but decide not to read any of the topics until another time, then the link (show unread posts since last visit) will only alert me of new posts after that, and not alert me of the posts I decided not to read. If that makes sense.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 03:15:55 pm »
Ah, I see. Hum, not sure exactly. I use the "recent posts" button a fair amount and also go to each forum and see which ones have the "new" button next to them. Those threads contain new posts which I haven't yet read. I will check to see if I can add any additional navation style buttons which will make this process easier.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 03:21:48 pm »
Thanks! I think another button that simply says "show all unread posts" (as opposed to "...since last visit") would be all that's necessary.
- Will Shriner

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 04:42:10 pm »
I just look for threads with "new" next to them. It's simple and works for me.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 04:56:53 pm »
Yea, that's what I end up doing, and ultimately I don't mind. I created the thread because I'm wondering if the feature is working as intended, because it is ultimately a great tool, and I'd like to see all the unread posts in one page.
- Will Shriner

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 06:08:21 pm »
I'd like to see all the unread posts in one page.

Yeah, that can be done in theory. I think I will have to program the page to do this though. SMF is an awesome board, I've been using it since Beta and never had any problems (I fixed that problem I was talking to you about Scipion, FYI) but the programming is so good that you really have to be careful when you add new features. I'll look into this one and let you know what I find.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 06:13:30 pm »
Ah good! So now you know how much power each of wields in our hands.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 07:50:39 pm »
Thanks, Steve. I get the impression that you're a pretty busy guy, so I appreciate it. ;)
- Will Shriner

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 08:32:20 pm »
Thanks, Steve. I get the impression that you're a pretty busy guy, so I appreciate it. ;)

You have no idea! But I also live with my computer attached to ... something. Not exactly sure but I'm always on/near one, so it's not too bad.