Author Topic: The Overlords  (Read 1265 times)

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
The Overlords
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:28 pm »
Chapter 1

The Discovery of the Planet

It was quiet.

There was no time in all of his life that was as quiet as now. Space was entirely inaudible, and the crew did not make idle chatter. In fact, the only time anyone spoke was the ship to him, informing him of the scan results. The machinery hummed softly, creating a one-note melody.

Music? There was no time for music. He was Captain, and Captains have no time for music; at least, very little. He had a job to do! Distractions were unacceptable. No distractions. That was what he had learned from his greatest teacher: experience.

Suddenly, a single, familiar bleep cut through the cloud of silence. He had heard it innumerable times before. As usual, 0.652 seconds after the tone, the ship's voice spoke the line he had heard as many times as the tone.

"Captain. Request permission to deliver status report."

"Permission granted. Begin." he spoke in a dull, bored voice. He knew what the ship would say, and he thought it to himself. "Thank you, Captain. The latest scan has shown no points of interest. Do you wish to proceed hearing the results anyway?"

"Thank you, Captain. The latest scan has revealed a life-sustaining planet. The crew is awaiting their heading as of immediately."

The Captain bolted upright. Life-sustaining planet? When was the last time the scans had revealed a life-sustaining planet? It must have been all those weeks - gosh, it must have actually been months ago! I mean, sure, there are planets a lot of the time, but life-sustaining? That's a rarity! He hoped that it wouldn't be just basic single-celled organisms like last time, or just an equipment malfunction like the time before that.

"Standard procedures. Investigate target."

He scratched his feelers in anticipation. The engines of his ship revved up, and it shot towards the planet.

A few minutes later, they were about to be able to view the planet with the naked eye. What began as a tiny speck grew larger and larger as the ship approached. He thought he could make out colors. What is that? White? Yes, shades of white! There's something else! Purple. No wait, blue! Blue and white - and green! This was the real deal!

The ship was in orbit around the planet. The view was breathtaking. He could see vast oceans, a large continent, a mountain range obscured by a white sheet of water vapor. Look at those lakes!

Suddenly, a bleep. "Captain. Sensors have detected minor radio activity."

His eyes widened. Radio activity...

"Activate surveillance units. I want the surface of this planet mapped! Check for signs of civilization! And...and...oh, I think you know what I mean you should be doing!"

He sat back in his seat and took deep breaths. This was going to be anything but a long day.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:26:03 am by omegatripod »

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
Re: The Overlords
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »
While I'm writing up the second chapter, I want it to be known that you can post your comments on the story here.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:45:06 pm »
OOH! OOH OOH OOH OOOOH! I KNOW WHAT THIS IIIIIS!
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:31:13 pm »
I thought being a space captain would be more exciting than that. Well, I guess the long hours of boredom are made up for by the occasional discovery of a new planet or nebula.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:26:48 pm »
This soundles (lol, soundles) like a manned space probe, practically all the crew does is act like luggage for the probe to haul...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)