Author Topic: Eclectic: A Webcomic by Guilmon  (Read 14699 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Eclectic: A Webcomic by Guilmon
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:08:03 pm »

Welcome to Eclectic, a webcomic by my sister, Guilmon. The name is pretty apt; this comic's characters come from a variety of sources (mostly video games though :P). Most of the humor is going to be rather spontaneous, bizarre, and occasionally a little dark... Just like a good portion of the "funny" pictures in the Random Image Bonanza.

A quick note though: Since most of these characters are coming from video games, I'm getting the copyrights out of the way now before we get a case of mistaken origin.

Gordon Freeman and the Half-Life series -- Valve
Hunters and the Left 4 Dead series -- Valve
Jack Ryan (Rand) and Bioshock -- 2k (some artistic license taken)
Cole MacGrath and InFamous -- Suckerpunch Studios
Alex Mercer and [Prototype] -- Radical Entertainment

(Note: Clicking on any image will bring you to it's DeviantArt page to view full size and to add comments (for those with DeviantArt accounts, anyway). If for some reason you can't access DeviantArt, the comics are also hosted at Photobucket.)

Guilmon's DeviantArt Page
Photobucket Gallery

Index:

Character Profiles
Major

Chapters
Chapter 1: Parkour
Chapter 2: 3 Seconds
Chapter 3: Curse You, Bacteria
Chapter 4: Heeere's Jack!

Holiday Comics
Friday the 13th -- 2009
Thanksgiving -- 2009

Other Comics
Pilot/Concept art
Testing out Art Styles: Part 1
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:02:21 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Eclectic: A Webcomic by Guilmon
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:50:32 pm »
Major Characters

Name: Arick Meren Jallot
Origin: 100% Guilmon's Character
Bio: After being mauled by a genetically enhanced beast, the mutating bacteria present in the creature's body found their way into his bloodstream. Over time, it has changed both his body and mind, making him a borderline feral man-beast with a taste for meat. He does seem to have his lucid moments, though.
Powers: Enhanced abilities, senses, and stamina.
Weaknesses: Jabbing the nerve on the side of the neck will usually stop him in his tracks for a few moments. A good bullet will ground him for a day at max.
Personality: Arick is a sort of person with a few demented goals, but mostly lives in the moment... you kind of have to when you're wanted in several countries... Arick isn't the one for jokes or culture, as he doesn't quite understand it in his current state of mind. He can usually be found sitting on the bars of balconies or running free through the city... if he's not already killing someone...

Name: Gordon Freeman
Origin: Half-Life saga
Bio: Just another employee at Black Mesa when all hell broke loose. Rather than sit around and die like everyone else, Gordon manages to battle his way through swarms of both the military and bizarre extraterrestrial invaders using a variety of weapons, and eventually escapes the facility.
Powers: Good knowledge in physics, awesomeness, good adaptability, HEV radiation suit, his Gravity Gun. =3
Weaknesses: Is still mortal, standing in radiation for too long, losing his crowbar.
Personality: Gordon is the straight man, not the one who would throw himself off the empire state building for a Klondike bar. He usually helps the more illiterate in the group *Cough cough ARICK cough* and works out everything. Basically, he is the brains of the brawns. Though he doesn't show it much, he is the smartest member of the group by far. Unfortunately, there isn't much demand for Theoretical Physicists any more... He also seems to be very level-headed, and has yet to be phased by whatever the world throws at him, be it aliens, zombies, or having an entire population of aliens as his fanboys.

((Note: Profile is Bioshock spoiler-ridden. Mouse over the black bars at your own risk))
Name: Jack Ryan (Changed last name to Rand, both for spoiler removal and his own reasons.)
Origin: Bioshock (Some artistic license taken, as very little official material exists beyond what you do in-game and information regarding his origin)
Age: Mid to late 20's it's actually 3 years ((Screwed up, isn't it?))
Bio: What he though would be a normal plane trip turned into a bizarre, mind-warping experience for this 60's native. After crashing in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, Jack finds himself trapped in the undersea city of Rapture. The city, though now mostly populated by murderous psychopaths, was once a thriving center for cultural and scientific advancement. One such advancement that proved rather useful during his "stay" was the plasmid, basically superpowers in a syringe. A year after he finally escaped the city, (yes, we chose the good ending) he was somehow teleported to the present day.
Powers: Various thanks to plasmids, going from bees in his arm to telekinesis.
Weaknesses: Will NOT get on a plane, on a boat, in the ocean, and can only partially resist the "Would you kindly" control phrase. Yes, we know he was cured of it in game, but it was too good of a joke to pass up. Any comics referencing it will be marked with spoilers.
Personality: Jack doesn't quite get half the jokes and references these days, considering he's from the sixties. But basically, Jack has only partially recovered from the emotional damage he sustained while down in Rapture not to mention his identity crisis. He generally grins and bears it, though, and at first glance seems to be perfectly fine. He does tend to freak out and over react, though, and has a few residual phobias from his stay in Rapture.

Name: Cole MacGrath
Origin: InFamous
Bio: Formerly a bike messenger, Cole was given his electric superpowers when the package he was carrying exploded. Unfortunately, it took out a good chunk of Empire City with it. Using his newfound abilities (and his skill for climbing), he proceeded to help rebuild the city and oust the many factions attempting to take it over.
Powers: ELECTRICITY... and climbing buildings...
Weaknesses: Baths. Can not hold a gun or sit in a gas-powered car, because his electricity will ignite the gunpowder/gas (electric cars are fine, though).
Personality: Cole is the grumpy one, never really the one for jokes, and always seems to be wearing a scowl... Usually, he will be the one to blame when your car battery is gone/dead in the morning... But when in fights he fights... Though he is somewhat of a grouch, and has a tendency towards draining car batteries/generators, he is a hero overall and will protect those in distress. For some reason or another, he seems to be locked in a rivalry with Alex Mercer.

((Also contains spoilers... whee!))
Name: Alex J. Mercer
Origin: [Prototype]
Age: 29 Though if you're counting just the Blacklight virus... about a month
Bio: Alex doesn't remember much of his past. His first clear memories are waking up in a morgue about to undergo an autopsy. While escaping the facility, he discovers he now has superpowers, including but nowhere near limited to enhanced strength, stamina, regeneration abilities, and the ability to absorb other people to take on their form and gain access to their memories. Rather than gleefully abuse this power, he sets out on a vendetta to kill everyone responsible for making him this way and to take their memories to piece together his past. Ironically, New York is saved from destruction in the process. Yay?
Powers: Shape-shifting, consuming people, hating just about everything, and being awesome.
Weaknesses: Electricity... cancer... (I don't know... what else can kill a regenerating super-mutant?)
Personality: If you exist, Alex is suspicious of you right from the get-go. Betrayal and conspiracy plots have made him rather paranoid. You always start out with negative points in his book. Thus, he's also something of a jerk. Alex lives life to the extreme, kicking butt and having a demented, adrenaline-fueled "fun" while doing it. Beware: even if you aren't his target, keep a good distance from him. He has a very nasty tendency to cause massive amounts of collateral damage while battling from explosions, driving tanks, attacks that miss their target, shoving people out of his way, and just eating random people for more health. He appears to be locked in a rivalry with Cole for some reason or another, and generally enjoys trying to make his life miserable.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:51:44 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »
Pilot Comic/Concept Art

"Here's some old work for "Eclectic", the "joke" being very random and not very good... it's more like a showcase for characters. You can see everyone! The first guy you see in a blue hoodie is the hunter from Left 4 Dead. I made this because Darth Grievi was teasing me that the way I described Arick, he seemed like he just stole the hunter's style ((And it didn't make it any better that she said that he stole his story and stuff from [Prototype] a little)) So... yeah... Just a pilot comic, things have changed a bit in the final version style-wise... As you can see, Arick's hoodie had less detail, Alex's clothing was different, and Jack wore camo... Darth tells me that it wasn't exactly in style back in the '60's!

I know the text is smaller than I expected... 0.o So here's the wording for the last panel...

Cole: OH COME ON!!! Don't kill him! He still owes me twenty bucks from college!

Alex: Who cares about cash?!? A hunter disguise is the next best thing to Arick! *Really wish I could consume him... mummble grumble..*

Jack: Are we the only NORMAL people here?

Gordon: Define normal.... "

((That's all for tonight. Post please! I don't want to be a quadruple poster :P))
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:33:07 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:29:35 am »
Gordon Freeman talks, this comic is not truthful.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:33:31 am »
maybe he gained the power of telepathy from all that toxic waste he trudges around in, that would solve the whole not talking problem  ::)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:31:56 pm »
Chapter 1: Parkour

"Arick's introduction, chapter 1 of Eclectic! The first few comics will be introductions to the main characters and THEN the madness will begin....BWAHHAHAHA....*Cough*. Backgrounds by Darth Grievi since I'm too lazy to do them myself...X3"

((Poor fool doesn't suspect a thing  ;D))

Gordon Freeman talks, this comic is not truthful.
<.<
>.>

???

We're both of the opinion that Gordon just doesn't have anything to say. Realy, for 90% of HL1 there's no one to talk to, and most of the last 10% there's a good reason to be quiet (ie. the military/aliens hunting you down). Then for the rest of the series, most of the time he doesn't need to say anything (or he's just extremely indecisive and can't figure out what to say...)

Or, on the other hand, you don't hear him talk because he says/thinks what you say/think. Somehow he gets scientists to open doors for him and orders his squad around in HL2. :-\

Third argument... we're willing to bend continuity for the sake of humor. Cole and Alex don't realy know each other, and our Jack isn't identical to the one at the end of Bioshock.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:33:28 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:30:40 am »
But Gordon not being able to talk would probably add more to the humour.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 05:54:26 pm »
yea like make him act like he is trying to talk but its almost like his mouth is stitched shut

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 07:05:55 pm »
I'll pass it on to her... "Continuity" hasn't been broken yet, at least, since that one comic was just a concept... also

Thanksgiving -- 2009

"Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Here's the Eclectic group celebrating Thanksgiving over at my house, including the rest of my family that lives there. ((My mom's not in the picture because she lives out in Santa Monica. =3)) I'll list off everyone....

FROM RIGHT TO LEFT

1.Me being so proud that Arick actually appreciates Thanksgiving.
2.Arick munching on that delicious and juicy turkey... SO CUTE.
3.Cole getting pissed off that Alex's trying to take his Turkey leg...Using a fork of course...And poor Cole has to have a rubber holder over his soda can...X3
4.Jack overjoyed to have so much food... And also considering the fact this is his first REAL Thanksgiving... I love the fact that he just took two of everything and poured gravy over it... HOORAY for high metabolism!
5.Alex using the whip arm to try and steal Cole's turkey, just to piss him off or something. Too bad he's in for a "shock". *Bu-dum-tish*
6. Darth Grievi admiring Alex and loving the fact that she's surrounded by nearly all her favorite video game characters. She's a bit nerdy. X3
7.Gordon just trying to have a nice Thanksgiving but sadly can't get the same effect while having a zombie, a human battery, a virus, and a little girl gushing over him at the table.
8.My little sister excited to be with Gordon. She loves him a lot and usually is pretty talkative....
9.((BACKGROUND GUY)) My dad in his favorite Art Center Collage of Design T-shirt. He is pretty cool, but I don't think he really approves of having a zombie at the table...or having a virus-infected dude....I do know he likes Jack though! =3
10.((BACKGROUND GRANDMOTHER)) My Grandmother. We always love her turkey and this year she accidentally made too much because some people canceled after she had started to cook all the extra food. When she saw this picture, she said "I don't think anybody other than Jack looks too thankful...I hope they start over..." X3 She always makes wonderful stuff..."

((Thank God she didn't have Gordon talk here, otherwise I'd have all you on my butt over it.))
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:36:38 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »
Late but...

Friday the 13th -- 2009

"I came up with this yesterday (Thursday the 12th) after I finished my test in Health. We were given a cover sheet and I doodled...and this came up. X3 So yeah... Only Arick's definition of "Unlucky" may include a broken collar bone... or two.... Just don't turn around.... Arick's behind you... DON'T TURN AROUND. JUST KEEP READING. DON"T TURN AROUND!!!! Have a happy Friday!"

Also, I've passed on your suggestion to keep Gordon gagged and hogtied in the closet silent, and Guilmon has changed the storyboards accordingly. Gordon is now the silent straight man, a very uncomfortable and frustrating position, hooray!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:36:56 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:26:59 am »
Please use the word gushing less. Please.

Anyway, the comic's style isn't bad but I'd like to see some of the actual comics with storyline.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:01 am »
Needs more bee plasmid.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:09:21 pm »
Chapter 2: 3 Seconds

"Gordon Freeman... the best MUTE scientist in the world... X3 Poor guy didn't expect anything until he was suddenly hit by a raging zombie hunter thingy on steroids... Poor guy... But anyway...This comic was complicated because before when I thought I would have Gordon talk, the last panel was Arick saying "What the heck was that for?!?" and Grodon freaking out and yelling "IT TALKS!" But now, I think his humor will be the fact that he can't talk. =3 "

((And also I (Darth Grievi) have been fired from my job as background artist...  :P))

@Eagle: Got her a thesaurus, and here's more storyline! We just so happened to have a rash of holidays to do pictures for in the beginning.

@Krakow Sam: Allready planned. The bees will get plenty of exercise, trust me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:37:21 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 04:00:04 pm »
I was saying it more due to the talk that gushing means something very wrong for a 13-year old to do.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 04:07:44 pm »
...Wierd...  :-\

I was totally unaware of any sickening thoughts had been associated with the word. Changing the older posts now...