Author Topic: Rising Tensions - The Riether/Core Combine Conflict  (Read 4796 times)

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
Re: Rising Tensions - The Riether/Core Combine Conflict
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 06:28:02 pm »
Riether Territory, Open Space

A spatial disruption could detected right at the very heart of Riether territory, but rather than some massive ship, or a large Combine invasion fleet, only a single destroyer, as well as a battleship emerged, this part of Riether territory had no strategic value what so ever, and it was a place that even the most non vigilant Riether commander could detect a threat, in other words, these ships where purposely showing themselves into the open, and even stranger... they were giving off hailing signals…. Not once had this enemy the Riether had been fighting had shown the desire to negotiate… was it a trick? A trap? Or something else….
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »
The scanners of the transwarp booster network picked up on the small convoy. Normally it would simply scan a ship, find its coordinates, boost its warp and wait for the next ship. When it failed to make a proper connection to the Core Combine convoy's navigational computer, it sent off a message:

//INCOMING VESSEL, WARP BOOST FAILED; PLEASE INSPECT YOU NAVIGATIONAL EQUIPMENT//
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 05:36:59 pm »
On board the battleship, the first Skrall "diplomat" was on board and setting out to do the impossible, he was apparently ordered to attempt to get the Riether to ally with them....

The Core Combines lack of any culture besides their excessive fixation on warfare meant that never in their history had they ever had true diplomats or even designed ships for diplomacy, but diplomacy was like a battle, and the Core Combine would learn its strange ropes.

//INCOMING VESSEL, WARP BOOST FAILED; PLEASE INSPECT YOU NAVIGATIONAL EQUIPMENT//

The vessels seemed to have come across some type of gateway network...

The Combine then began to broadcast a new message towards any Riether Ship in the area as well as the station should it be able to somehow respond.

//Entity known as Riether, I am known as Taragan of Core Combine diplomacy convoy 000000001, conflict has continued between our factions for quite sometime, I am here to end it... respond...//
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »
Obviously, a simple warp relay station wouldn't have the brainpower to respond to the message, but that didn't mean people weren't listening. Very little traffic is self-controlled, most is relegated to mission control stations on colonies throughout Riether space. When the message from the peace convoy couldn't be determined to have any identification tags to where it would be picked up, it went to Central Command as an unidentified craft. A quick scan of the area revealed the signal's origin to be startlingly familiar; the COre Combine.

//What are you doing so deep in our space, intruders? We find it hard to believe that beings as yourself would have a word for "diplomacy"//

The Supreme Admiral was in a bit of a huff over the matter. He had never been in a position to conduct a peace treaty with anyone, much less the Core Combine...

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:23 pm »
The Grand Admiral was actually not too far off from the truth, the Core Combine did not actually have a proper word for diplomacy, the closest word they had for it was apparently "deal" or "bribe"

//Your suspicion is not unwarranted... but had we come with further hostile intentions you could have likely expected a far larger fleet.... We wish to discuss an alliance..... most specifically.... a military alliance... Past our cultural differences we share a common belief: strength... strength garners respect, strength keeps the weak in line, and the universe by no means abides by weakness...//

A slight pause followed before Taragan continued

//We have contacted one other race and our attempting to locate the leader of another one to begin negotiations... eventually we can possibly form a coalition of races whos interest overlap rather than conflict... combining our military power would be very effective...//

Teragan let out the equivalent of a sigh as he was about to reveal the "catch" and possibly the entire reason they where attempting to form this coalition, but first he would see if the Riether would even consider forming an alliance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:56:55 pm by SimplyNecro »

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 07:08:16 pm »
//Well then. This is more serious than a man such as I is allowed to see to. Please wait a moment, I'll have to patch you through to the Emperor//

The connection grew fuzzy and filled with static as it was shunted through rounter upon router and uncountable firewalling systems, until it cleared up, showing a clearly much older and battle-scarred individual, but he was by no means any less intimidating than the Supreme Admiral, quite the contrary. He stood from the seat in which he sat, and addressed Taragan with almost a smile.

//I am Emperor Cha'Kalii. Your presence so close to the inner colonies is most unsettling to us! But I hear it is is good intentions... A deal, diplomacy! You wish to have our cooperation in war. I have no qualms about military assistance Fancy you of all people needing it! except one. You presence in our territory, the very beginning of this conflict. All I want is for you to stay on your land, we'll stay on ours, and we have an agreement. No reason to waste men and materials on a war no longer worth fighting.//

Cha'Kalii sat back down into his throne of sorts, and waited patiently for a reply. Showing his eagerness to finally "win" this war might make the negotiators demand more conditions to be met, and that was the last thing he wanted to happen.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:47:23 pm »
Taragan was very surprised... apparently it would be much easier than he thought to gain the Riether's help, still, no doubt they would indeed want something for all the damage the Core had done, and he was right on the money...

Taragan reached into some of the Hive Network's data files, pulling up several Riether worlds that were taken during the conflict

//These worlds shown here shall be returned to you... and any and all Combine military forces on Riether borders and space shall be recalled towards our territory...//

Pausing a second once more before continuing...

//Your willingness to cooperate in war is good... for you see... in order for this coalition to become a reality... certain factions must be.....pacified... if you aid us in our war, your conditions of having any worlds taken returned, as well as the removal of all military forces shall be met.....immediately, and perhaps when things become stable we can discuss the official forming of a true alliance.//

Despite the fact that negotiations where appearing to be going well, he was not going to suddenly become completely trusting but nor would he be completely suspicious...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:52:02 pm by SimplyNecro »

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »
//Good. Certainly acceptable. We will withdraw our forces in border territory until the treaty can be fully ratified by your leaders. At which point a border, a "neutral zaone" of sorts, should be established. A border which is not crossable by any military ship without proper identification form both sides. To prevent... misunderstandings.//

He paused for a few seconds, then added,

//You seem surprised at our quick agreement. You see, our strict "code of conduct" keeps us much more forgiving and open than many other "warlike" races. It is what has kept  us from destroying ourselves, and prevents our judgment from being clouded by the blood of war....//

"I only hope that they aren't hiding something..." the Emperor thought to himself.

//Is our business done here, or do you have more you want to say?//

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 08:13:11 pm »
Taragan thought for a few moments... mainly making sure he was not forgetting anything....

//I shall inform high command of our agreement... well now... I believe our business is concluded... We shall take our leave now...//

Before dismissing the transmission he added one last thing

//I indeed sense that great things will come from this alliance...//

((Just to have this make sense, these negotiations take place right before The First Contact War))

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 08:32:01 pm »
The connection sizzled away as the Supreme Admiral closed the connection. "Well, it appears they've come to an agreement" he thought to himself. But little did anyone know what was coming. Vor'Das would stop at nothing to dissolve the new aliance, and claim the existence of all those who ever opposed the Empire...