Author Topic: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.  (Read 45033 times)

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
The civ stage was a really basic RTS, but I thought it still managed to be pretty fun, and as Cobra said the "I win" button means it doesn't outstay its welcome. Or maybe I'm just comparing it favourably to the Tribe stage
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:56 pm »
I think one thing that we can all agree on is that the tribal stage sucked. :D

Looking back on the game, though, the actual thing that made me quit the game was the grinding in space stage. Go to a species, ally them, and you don't have to worry about them again. For me, the game boiled down to terraforming purple spice planets over and over again. Especially once I realized that there was an optimal building configuration, it became the exact same thing every single time.

Offline Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »
Fair Warning: At the time of writing I haven't slept in a few days so can't guarantee my rant will actually be coherent (this is also why I've overused parentheses, as structuring things well enough that I can fit everything in requires brain power, and me no can brain right now), though if you've understood all this, it probably isn't that bad

Honestly, part of me really doesn't want to blame them for messing up the Space Stage, it keeps telling the rest of me that "Too many people wanted to many different things from the Space Stage, some wanted an Exploration game, some wanted 4X, some wanted an Elite Clone, and some people just wanted a sandbox they could play god in".

Then I remember how everyone of those parts taken on their own was completely broken. Exploring was boring, as most planets looked too similar (Plant Editor would have really helped here), just with a pallet swap, or slightly different looking cliffs and hills. Hell, for the most of the early game you only got at peoples creations(You know, the selling point) as little dots before you unlocked the Hologram. And nothing says exciting Space Adventure like the Captain of the Starship being down a Slow Moving Ugly Hologram of himself to observe the natives. But that's pointless as they all do the same thing regardless of the planet you're on (Though, credit were credit is due, I did enjoy watching Civilisations battling for supremacy of the planet like some). If I want to find cool creations people have I'm better off going to the Sporepedia seeing as it's less hassle.
The 4X game was completely broken on release, with the possibility of you being constantly blown to bits because you can't pay your space protection money to the local space Mafia who are all too eager to go on a genocidal Space Jihad against you.

And the game won't even let me play in the Sandbox, as barely(Yes, there are a few, you don't have to remind me about the monolith) anything I do outside of the 4X part of the game has any real impact on the universe. I mess with a few primitives, they get scared, they worship me a little, then they get on with their lives as if just played the Most Dangerous Game with them and a heat ray. No Golden Statues, no sacrificed virgins, no way to assimilate them into my empire(Why is everyone in a Space Nazi anyway, seriously where do the creatures go when you buy all you buy everyone of their planets?). This is the same if I uplifted a species, nothing other than a small bonus to my starting relationship with the Space versions of them. Seriously, I bring you from Apes to Angels and even you get anger when I break the "Galactic Code" no one told me about (The Code makes no sense anyway, Blow up a few uninhabited rocks that are blocking my view of the nicer planets and I'm evil, but hunting sapients with mercilessly with a LASER for fun is OK? Boo-yah, just hit a sobbing mother as she clutches her children to try and comfort them, 150 bonus points!)
Though you could mess with Civs and change the outcome of their wars, which was fun, and is probably the reason I enjoyed messing with Civ Stage creatures so much

Then there was the fact that while playing in the sandbox, the game had an annoying habit of kicking over my sandcastles. Terraforming(Terrasculpting?), is probably the area of Spore that disappointed me the most, seeing as the last time we saw it before release we seen LASERs which would allow us to carefully sculpt a planet to our liking. Now, the cool things we could have done with something like that (Hi person who's thinking "Draw a penis lol") like an idea that I threw around in my head was making something like a chess board, then using creatures to play games of chess (the idea was to use really Steep cliffs between the squares to keep the creatures from moving) and yes, I could have just played chess, but it's so much more fun when you do it god style. Or hell, we could even have just done something silly like write our name in an enemy's homeworld. Spore, however, doesn't quite stop disappointing there it keeps on going like the coal train behind the Santa's Sleigh, as the stupid random craft missile things (Who'd want a game with it's biggest selling point being creating things to actually let you control what's being created?) don't even have the basically random changed they make save properly(did they every fix that by the way?)
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »
I think one thing that we can all agree on is that the tribal stage sucked. :D

I don't know I thought it had some cool things like domesticating animals, the ability to outfit your creature for the first time and  of course being able to use your special abilities.

But yeah they could have done a lot more with this stage. For instance farms, a tool editor, mounted units, tech tree, etc.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »
Well, if EA is at least TRYING to fix Spore through another game (We can all hope DarkSpore fixes SOMETHING, am I right? A tribal phase that isn't downright boring to play? ANYONE? No, just kidding. I myself actually liked the tribal phase when I start it from the main menu. Cell and Creature are fun, but when you go through all that fun just to get to this cheesy little RTS ripoff, it's downright disappointing.), I thing we're being a little preemptive to be tossing it out the window. It was essentially unknown territory for Maxis, and in some ways, EA. Perhaps we just need to be a little more patient with Maxis and EA. While that's a great deal to ask for the people who have been following it sense '05, just keep it in mind. The series may not be on it's dying leg, but rather just off balance for the moment. Weather or not it regains it's balance is up to the producers, however.

Offline Prok

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »
Well we can all hope Darkspore is their next big attempt to get things right, but we have to wait for more info.

I myself actually enjoyed the Tribal Stage somewhat, especially compared to the Civ and Space stage.  In my opinion it was the last good one.  What cheesed me about the later stages was how impersonal and distant you got from the creature you had designed before.  Plus, as you go through the stages, it was as if the editors mattered less and less for gameplay and enjoyable eye candy (culminating in the space stage, at which point your space ship design has absolutely no impact on your ship's features and capabilities, or even the animations).  Galactic Adventures obviously tried to remedy this somewhat, so it was a step in the right direction.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:23 pm »
Plus, as you go through the stages, it was as if the editors mattered less and less for gameplay and enjoyable eye candy (culminating in the space stage, at which point your space ship design has absolutely no impact on your ship's features and capabilities, or even the animations)
The building editor didn't have any function either. And both the vehicle and outfit editor had many parts that were there just for decoration too. And thinking of it, the sensory organs in creature stage had no function as well...

This is another reason why the cell stage was the best stage: Whenever you made a new cell, it felt as if it actually mattered how you designed your creature. You had to think about where you put your mouth and your spike. All other editors didn't have this sort of decision making. It mattered not one bit where you placed your mouth or the eyes in creature stage. You could basically make a blob with all sorts of random parts attached somewhere and it plays exactly like a creation where you put some thought into. (Though, in all fairness, it's rather hard to implement this sort of thing in 3D compared to 2D.)
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 03:37:21 pm »
@Flisch

You make a good point about the eyes. That was one thing they were planning on have matter where diffrent eyes gave a diffrent way to view the world. However that had to be cut. I hope they bring that feature back someday be it a patch or expansion.

Offline Lush City

• Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 08:06:59 am »
I do think the simplification of the part powers was probably nessart; having to have artistic skills to play seems a little unfair. The music editor in tribe was fun and when I got it, it was entertaining trying to befreind an area filled with crazy hostiles. I died like SO many times.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 09:14:41 am »
I do think the simplification of the part powers was probably nessart; having to have artistic skills to play seems a little unfair.
WTF are you talking about?
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:58 am »
Lush's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:36 am »
And most of what you get is nuts.

Offline Lush City

• Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 11:40:01 am »
I said that it would be ufair to the "artistically challenged" to make the performane of your species based on how well designed it was.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:39 am »
You don't need to be artistic to create a creature that would've worked well in the real world.

All they would've had to do was make it so you could only use charge if your spike was in the right place.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 12:12:43 pm »
And most of what you get is nuts.

Ha!

But yeah, Ry is right.  We're just saying that creatures should preform based on how they are built.  A creature consisting of one 10 foot sphere suspended over a single foot would not be able to move very fast.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net