Author Topic: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.  (Read 44432 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 06:41:32 pm »
Spore was okay, but the Second Coming couldn't live up to the hype it was given. It was a slightly below-average game, that was given to us as the best game ever.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 07:15:14 pm »
It was given to you as the best game ever because you took it as the best game ever. Disappointment is a two-way streak, Maxis should have given the review later in development when they KNEW what they could produce, and the fandom should have known that it wouldn't be that good even if it DID contain all the bells and whistles that logically could not have been put in at that early of a point. It was a big cluster **** but that doesn’t mean we should spend our time belly aching over it like we're on goddamn Doctor Phil. Grow up already!
Wow. That got ranty.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »
Just because some took it as the best game ever doesn't cover the fact the game's quality was only decent, even to those who hadn't heard of it before picking it up.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »
Yes its a good game and JUST a good game. The only "disappointment" is from those who thought of it to be something higher, and maxis is to blame for breeding the situation where the fans could act so irrationally. They're both to blame here.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 11:57:54 pm »
I would actually say that releasing a shallow game with skeletal mechanics and little to no variation outside of arbitrary swap-outs is more to blame than having too high an expectation. There was hype, but years before it was released, people were saying "hope for the greatest, but expect the mediocre". Spore as a game is bad, but as a creation-tool distraction it is alright. It is very much like the sims, in that its mechanics are 'skeletal' to the point of being pretty transparent, only Spore doesn't have nearly the amount of variation or distractions that the sims does. A simple task in the sims, with a little playing, because obvious to us. If we want something, we know how to get it, but we would enjoy the journey of getting there, and find amusing distractions and entertaining happenstance on the way. In Spore, the journey part has nothing to it.

They tried to do too much at once, and forgot to flesh it out. Imagine the sims where every interaction would only result in three to four responses, and they were reused for every interaction. The magic just wouldn't be there, would it? The sims really worked because on top of the streamlined cut-down game system, was a vibrant, colourful setting with lots of personality. Spore had only a little of that, and it always claimed to be a vast, personal experience. It could have worked, but it just... didn't. Oh well.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:12 am »
So you got your hopes up early, gained unrealistic expectations based on a unfinished and still very prototypal game, and then got upset when it wasn't the messiah game you hyped it up to be? Figures.
Strawman argument much?

Nobody really expected Spore to be the best game ever, except for some nutjobs. Everybody knew, that it wouldn't be as indepth as people wanted it to be.

I would make a list of reasons as to why Spore is a shallow game, but this has been discussed in detail on this forum for several times already...
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:58 am »

So you got your hopes up early, gained unrealistic expectations based on a unfinished and still very prototypal game, and then got upset when it wasn't the messiah game you hyped it up to be? Figures.

I never said I expected it to be the second comming. I said I wanted to see something similar to the game we saw over 4 years ago. And don't pull out that "Oh the demos were all scripted anyway!" arguement, the ideas were there, they just never put the good ones in the game. They just, for some only-god-knows reason, were kicked out.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:18 am »
They weren't "kicked out" they were never there to begin with. What you saw at E3 was a prototype, a rough draft, a dream of course it was better than reality because that's what dreams are. That video was made over three years before the game came out, it didn't reflect what they could do, it showed what they wanted to do. As time went on they slowly realized what they could and couldn't put in based on a realist explanation. Its like as a little kid, you say you want to be president or a spaceman or something, as the cold hard reality of politcs and space training sets in you ground your dreams to fit what is possible. I'm sorry to say it, but whar you saw at E3 was a fantasy, and there was no way it could compare to the real thing. They should have known not to reveal it so soon, and youi should of known not to place such faith into something so fleeting.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »
I'd like to be the first to resort to the "You wern't there man!" arguement.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
Lush, you're overlooking the fact that the main of the game is right there, the system that lets you create your customisable doodads as you go along. What is really lacking is the interactivity part, and that doesn't take a revelation in gaming. Especially when they went through making three main sims titles and expansion packs. They know how to add the distractions and entertaining 'meat', but they just... didn't. You can pretty much count the number of events that occur in each stage on your two hands, with the only blank being which pieces of content it pulls randomly into an individual game (though the reactions and behaviour are completely the same), whereas in any one sims game, whilst you can learn the ins and outs and memorise the system, the things you can do and the reactions you get, are far superior. The sims worked, because it had variety, and it had things to explore, things to do, thinks to work for. Spore doesn't work, because it simply doesn't have that padding. Simulations will always be fluff pulled over underlying mechanics, but being able to do more in a phase than pointlessly pick up and put down a shell, or do a mexican dance in exactly the same way fifteen million other different species did... that may have been nice. :P

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 06:47:26 pm »
but being able to do more in a phase than pointlessly pick up and put down a shell, or do a Mexican dance in exactly the same way fifteen million other different species did... that may have been nice. :P

yea, you really cant add any personality or individuality to your creatures (which I know they can do: sims3 did this to an extent, and a large number of RPG's do this all the time). for a game touting free creativity, it uses a very one-size fits all approach.

in addition, your creations don't really do much, and that makes them just pictures.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:23 pm »
Well then there must have been some reason it came out like it did. Despite what the hippies tell you, companies don't deliberately try to screw over their fanbase. I found it a generally fun game. On terms with Sribblenauts or Little Big Planet. I just don't get the massive Hatedom the game has over here. I guess I just "[wasn't] there man."  :-\

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 07:34:17 pm »
just don't get the massive Hatedom the game has over here. I guess I just "[wasn't] there man."  :-\
You'll find massive "hatedom" for the game all around, it just hit here particularly hard, given the hype that this community was stewing in.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »
What I don't get is why people keep going back to this subject. Before the game was even launched we would have people going on and on and on about how we're overhyping it, when our spore forum came down -very- hard on people who overspeculated or overhyped, to the point of moderators often having to get regulars to lay off. We even had some shmuck in here telling us in full seriousness about how to 'move on with life' and deal with rejection and disappointment before the game was even released. There isn't a hatedom here, just old memories and some disappointment. You're pointing at demons that aren't there.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »
We even had some shmuck in here telling us in full seriousness about how to 'move on with life' and deal with rejection and disappointment before the game was even released.

You have got to link me to that. And no hatedom? Seriously?