Author Topic: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.  (Read 44482 times)

gec05

Re: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:24:38 pm »
Well I can't run the game anymore. Uninstalled Windows since I was running out of hard drive space on the Mac. Now I have nothing to run the game on anymore. So you're out of luck Hydro.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »
What? Spore runs on my mac just fine. It's not pirated, either.

gec05

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:35 pm »
But my Mac is older than yours. It doesn't have the graphics chip like the current ones do.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:17:12 am »
Well I can't run the game anymore. Uninstalled Windows since I was running out of hard drive space on the Mac. Now I have nothing to run the game on anymore. So you're out of luck Hydro.

Nuuuuuuuuuu!

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:32 am »
But my Mac is older than yours. It doesn't have the graphics chip like the current ones do.
Oh. That's too bad.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:24:12 am »
Its nice to see that reception to Spore isn't overwhelmingly negative.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 12:43:29 pm »
The game has it's own merrits, but the problem is, it's like they told us about a fake game, sence Spore is almost the exact opposite of what we were expecting it to be, from what the devs told people. Don't get me wrong, shooting overpowered 2 foot tall red guy remakes on a lava planet filled with poo-shaped rocks is fun, but I would have liked a damned plant editor before Galactic Adventures.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 12:53:44 pm »
Just going from your paragraph "Galactic Adventures" sounds a lot cooler thab "planet editor" the wikipedia page isn't that in-depth on the fandom, so. A quick question why the friction?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »
Plant editor.

Even though there is technically a plant editor in the game. Its just a glitchy piece of **** that doesn't work.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 02:18:24 pm »
So you're forsaking the inspiration for this entire comunity, over vegtables?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »
You misunderstand. It's reprisentative of all the features that they said would be from the start of the development, ever since E3 '05. That includes a tool editor, dancting, producural verbs, a water stage, defending eggs while they hatch, a hut editor, less cartoony experiance, realistic looking ecosystems, non-nesting centred gameplay. The way it was shown from the pre-release demonstrations that it was damn near an evolution similator at it's most basic and a procedural world at it's best. Now, compare these expectations with what the game turned out to be. It may seem touchy and harsh, but this forum was founded back in those optimistic days and it continued to have that mindset when the game was finally released.

The spore we got was not the insperation for this community, it was the one we didn't get that inspired it. And SecuRom didn't help either.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 03:14:24 pm »
You misunderstand. It's reprisentative of all the features that they said would be from the start of the development, ever since E3 '05. That includes a tool editor, dancting, producural verbs, a water stage, defending eggs while they hatch, a hut editor, less cartoony experiance, realistic looking ecosystems, non-nesting centred gameplay. The way it was shown from the pre-release demonstrations that it was damn near an evolution similator at it's most basic and a procedural world at it's best. Now, compare these expectations with what the game turned out to be. It may seem touchy and harsh, but this forum was founded back in those optimistic days and it continued to have that mindset when the game was finally released.

The spore we got was not the insperation for this community, it was the one we didn't get that inspired it. And SecuRom didn't help either.
Exactly. They said it would be in, just like a ton of over features, then screwed us over.

Procedural actions especially.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »
So you got your hopes up early, gained unrealistic expectations based on a unfinished and still very prototypal game, and then got upset when it wasn't the messiah game you hyped it up to be? Figures. Happens a lot when games show previews so long before release, your fandom counts their chickens before they hatch and by the time the real thing shows up the fandoms views are so skewed by years of mystification that its impossible to please their naturally impossible demands. It quite a tradgedy, almost operatic.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 04:22:56 pm »
Unrealistic expectation? Not at all. maybe 15 years ago, but not with the tech of today. It was lazy and dumbed down.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
Says you. Maxis is a company like any other, and a company's primary focus is profit. They knew what was riding on the game, and they knew what they stood to gain and lose. They did the best they could a probably just fell in the "realist rot." When a project is just an idea, it’s young and full of brilliant life, but the final product is never as good as the imagination, as reality sets in the dream has to be grounded to fit reality, the problem is what you say at E3 '05 was the dream, not the reality, thus you became affixed to the dream and so when reality showed itself, you fell back. The same happens in marriages, elections and immigrations. I'm not shifting all blame from maxis, they should  have known never to get the fans hopes up when the game was at such an unfinished stage, from what I've seen, E3 05 wasn’t even  real game play, just a cinematic. Likewise the fans should have known never to put so much hope into what feasibly wouldn’t be possible. The same thing happened to the Space Program, it’s everybody’s fault and its nobody’s fault we just have to learn to move on, enjoy what we got, and work to push forward.