Author Topic: Logan Felipe's Art  (Read 20262 times)

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
Re: Logan Felipe's Art
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 11:56:58 pm »

A rendition of a Raptoridan sea floor. The ecological niche of fish is filled by other animals, such as large crustaceans and insects. The small shrimp-like creature acts like an aquatic bee, "pollinating" the marine plant life, using fin-like groupings of chitinous fibers to propel itself through the water in a fish-like manner.

The creature chasing it uses a similar method of locomotion; it prefers to hunt alone, and uses its complex mandible arrangement to catch and dismember prey. Two large top mandibles are used in combination with a "jaw" formed by fused pedipalps. It swims in a manner similar to predatory fish or crocodile; using its tail for propulsion and its limbs for maneuvering. Each of its six "fins" bears a vestigial limb on the end, which the animal uses to anchor itself among rocks and sea grass to stalk prey or evade larger predators. Sensitive feelers along its body pick up slight scents and vibrations in the water, helping it hunt.

An herbivorous arthropod is at the bottom left. It grows a segmented, camouflaged shell that fools predators into thinking it's a rock. If threatened, it can withdraw its head into its shell, sealing the front opening with a "trap door" like some species of turtle. It can also tuck its legs (which are positioned beneath its shell) into its shell for added protection.

The creature at right is large creature similar to an aquatic rhinoceros. A blowhole is positioned atop its head, allowing it to breath without having to raise its mouth above the water's surface. Its eyes are large, allowing it to see in darker depths. Like a rhinoceros or giraffe, its lips are effective manipulators. It uses them to grasp vegetation. Other subspecies have square lips, which are used to graze on sea grasses. Its large body size and blubber keep it warm in colder waters. Sensitive "whiskers" are used to help the creature feel its surroundings.

The creature in the distance is a large predator the size of a killer whale. It lives in small pod groups, though males will sometimes hunt alone. They resemble massive penguins; their large beaks are serrated, with the tips of the serrations pointing backward toward the head, allowing it to hold onto struggling prey, like the aforementioned "sea rhino".
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »

Some invertebrates of Raptoridan. The largest is about the size of a small lobster.

A Raptoridan landscape, somewhere north of the equator.

A small creature distantly related to the "squirrel bird" from page one. It uses heavily modified scales to blend in with the bark of a type of tree. Its lower jaw is split, allowing it to mimic the tree's three petaled flowers. Pollinating creatures are tricked into thinking that the animal's head is one of the flowers, and when they trigger sensitive "feelers" protruding from either side of the mouth, the jaws snap shut. The animal then uses its tongue and ridges along the inside of its beak to move its prey into its esophagus. The sketch depicts both its outward appearance and an "X-Ray" view.
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 09:01:54 pm »
Wow.

Those details are excellent! 8)

Great work, Logan!

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »
Thanks!  :)
Fanfic!

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »
Yeah, those are awesome.

Do you have a devart account?
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 02:03:01 pm »
I've never commented here before, but I've been watching this thread, and allow me to say, Logan, that your drawings are fantastic, and moreover, I believe, they really represent a likely ecology for an Earth-like planet.

In short, great thread and great drawings. Simply fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:06:59 pm by rysworld »

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 03:16:03 pm »
@Flisch: Thanks! I don't currently. I'll probably set up one soon though.

@rysworld: Thanks! I was hoping they would come across as such. :)

Here's another one I did recently of a mountain habitat, mainly to exhibit some plant life. Interestingly, making plants really helps generate ideas for new animals, as the introduction each one opens up numerous new niches in the ecosystem. However, the difficulty with plants is that it there are generally fewer aesthetic traits to recombine or alter than in animals.

A typical mountain environment on Raptoridan in the same region as the Raptoridan Landscape sketch I uploaded earlier.

The plant on the left plays host to the small camouflaged creature I uploaded earlier. It's pollination processes are catalyzed by small organisms that feed on its nectar. Due to the moisture content of the nectar, the plant only produces nectar in the spring. This allows it to conserve water during the dry summer months. The plant has an expansive root system, allowing it to expand its reach though the soil for more nutrients in nutrient poor environments. Its cells are also capable of synthesizing some nutrients most other plants cannot.

The plant on the right adapts to the nutrient poor soil in its environs by feeding on small organisms and airborne debris. It accomplishes this by using barnacle-like feeding organs along its branches. The feeding organs contain enzymes that digest its food, which they catch with tendrils that retract when triggered. Each tendril is lined with hair-like fibers, each of which coated with a potent, sticky neurotoxin it uses to help trap and neutralize live prey. Near the center of the plant, different "organs" produce reproductive spores. They look similar to the feeding organs, but use different color patterns to attract different organisms. The tendrils on these organs lack the sticky neurotoxin of the feeding organs. When pollinating organisms trigger these tendrils, spasms in the organ cause spores to be launched upward, sticking to the target. The pollinating organism will then move onto the next plant, thereby spreading the plant's genetic material.

Due to its distance from the sun, Raptoridan's average temperature is
colder than Earth's, and has only three seasons; the equivalents of
Winter, Spring, and Summer.
Fanfic!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:51 pm »
Very interesting plants you got there!

Do the feeding tendrils possess any sort of method with which to entice prey towards them, or do they simply wait for one to accidentally fly by? :)

Also, can you please explain how the seasons work? The climate system sounds prett interesting. :)

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 11:19:19 pm »
Well, the tendrils capture food one of two ways: By catching drifting seeds that happen to drift past, or by catching insects. It attracts insects by luring them by emitting a sweet smelling odor and by displaying colorful patterns on the bulb of the feeding organs. Similar tactics are used to lure different organisms to the organs that produce reproductive spores. This particular subspecies attracts a species of hairy insect, whose dense coat of hair allows it to carry more spores. Different subspecies attract different organisms, depending on the region.

I haven't quite finalized how the seasons work yet, but since its a bit farther away from its star than Earth is from Sol, I figure that Raptoridan's growing season would likely be shorter due to colder average temperatures, as more heat from its star is lost before reaching the planet. So probably longer winter and fall seasons, with spring and summer being compressed into one season of a duration similar to that of each of the other two. I intend to do a bit of reading on Alaskan, Northern Canadian, Northern European, and Russian ecosystems to better understand the impact less exposure to heat from the sun has on the seasons and ecology.
Fanfic!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 01:53:07 am »
Sweet! :)

Good luck on the research, Logan!

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:49:12 am »
Some updates:

A scavenger that uses flight to cover more ground more quickly as it searches for carrion on the Raptoridaner plains. Its large nasal cavities afford it a superb sense of smell, and its powerful jaws are well suited to crushing bone and ripping through gristle. When threatened or challenged, it keeps its head low to the ground and lifts its tail in the air, which sports stripes and eye spots to intimidate challengers in mating season and confuse would-be predators.

A small, armored creature that feeds on fruit and small insects. It inhabits mountainous areas and rocky headlands. Its snout is covered in long whiskers, which it uses to trigger the sensitive, stinging feelers of plants in its habitat, allowing it access to the plant's sweet fruit.
Its tail stores body fat in case food becomes scarce and contains the animal's reproductive organs. Females posses a rear pouch similar to that of earth marsupials near the base of the tail. Its young stay within the pouch until they are large enough to leave. The young then stay with the mother for several months.

An aquatic bottom feeder that uses its muscled proboscis to probe the sea floor, stirring up crustaceans and insects to feed on. Its teeth are sharp and narrow, making them well suited for piercing tough exoskeletons. To deter predators from above, its back is covered in thick scales similar to those on an Earth crocodile. (Sorry about the mess; I forgot to finish cleaning it up in photoshop before upload)

A massive relative of the aforementioned bottom feeder. Adults can reach up to 80 feet in length. Its armor is less extensive than its smaller cousin, reducing its weight. The placement of its large flippers help to protect its exposed sides and underbelly. Its mouth is filled with long teeth that function like baleen. It feeds by pushing its large tongue against the pouch beneath its jaw, using its malleable upper lip to direct water flow through the front of its mouth between its two rows of teeth. It then lifts its tongue and contracts muscles in its throat pouch against the roof of its mouth and purses the front of its upper lip closed it at either side while lifting its lip up at either side of its jaw, pushing the water out through its teeth. Its nostrils are placed at the very tip of its nose, allowing it to breach the surface for air with minimal effort.

A full body sketch of a close relative of the animal in the Seascape picture. This one has a broad mouth for grazing. The two species' relationship to their environment is similar to that of the "black" and "white" rhinoceri of Earth.

A retouch of the penguin-like creature. I've resized him to about 40 ft in length. Its a solitary hunter. It has a smaller, 30 ft cousin that hunts in pods, whose picture I'll be scanning and uploading soon.

Some fun I had with Photoshop... A concept composition of a Raptoridan environment.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:32:53 am by Logan Felipe »
Fanfic!

gec05

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 02:51:19 pm »
Nice work!

Watch out for Hydro. He'll probably be all over you.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »
Nice work!

Watch out for Hydro. He'll probably be all over you.
If you know what I mean.

But yeah, fantastic update.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 03:15:59 pm »

A large, bulky relative of the "squirrel bird". Its beak is adapted for eating low-lying flowering plants and branches. It also serves as a display mechanism for the animal, in addition to its turkey-like tail fan. Massive neck muscles provide a powerful bite force, allowing it to slice through thick branches. It lives in cold climate forest regions. Its feathers provide insulation against cold weather. The crest protruding from its beak is used in competition between males, who engage in "pushing matches" to compete for females.

Full concept sketch of the creature seen in the Raptoridaner landscape drawing -- an immense relative of its small, mountain dwelling cousin. Its back and limbs are protected by thick scales. It uses its long, sticky tongue to feed on small invertebrates, fruit, and flowering plants. Its six legs provide it with stability sufficient enough to support its length and weight. When threatened, it rears up and spreads its two frontmost limbs, brandishing its long claws. These claws give the animal better grip as it braces itself against trees when browsing, and are also used in self defense and display purposes.

An abstract charcoal sketch of Raptoridan's trinary star system, with Raptoridan and its moon in the lower right corner.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:24:33 pm by Logan Felipe »
Fanfic!

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:25 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMQmOXc8STE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMQmOXc8STE</a>

Also,

Name: "Chicken Lizard"

Size: About the size of a large turkey.

Diet: Berries, Seeds, and small invertebrates.

Reproduction: Ovoviviporous, Monotreme

Biome: Equatorial Grassland. Domestic breeds may be found in other regions.

A four legged bird-like creature found in prairies and grasslands on Raptoridan. Its tufts of feather's do little to insulate the creature, and are more suited to display. Males have a grandiose, colorful "mane" of feathers at the base of the neck, as well as a large secondary tuft of feathers where the bottom most rib meets the hip girdle. Similar tufts are present in females, but are much less pronounced. Human laymen refer to this animal as a "chicken lizard", due to its physical resemblance to its namesakes on Earth. Much to human surprise however, the "chicken lizard" does not lay eggs, but produces a type of nutrient rich "milk" for its internally hatched offspring.
Fanfic!