Author Topic: What kind of computer should I get?  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
What kind of computer should I get?
« on: December 02, 2005, 07:56:38 am »
I know not to get one from Dell, Sony, Compaq, IBM, or those... but what should I get a computer from?

That iMac G5's looking pretty good right now, what with WoW and Sims 2 coming to it.

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of computer should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 08:22:39 am »
Well since you posted in a gaming forum, I would assume you like playing video games.  If that's truly the case, you should not get a mac.  If however you are not a huge gamer, and just need a good computer.  The new Imac is awesome!  If they made 3d Studio max and more mainstream games for the Macintosh platform I would toss my PC out the window in a heartbeat.

But lets focus on PCs.  If you want a no-hassle gaming PC and have the bucks to spend, go with Alienware, BOXX, or Shuttle XPC.

Personally, I got tired of buying pre-built PCs and I went to my local computer store and picked out all the components I wanted, then had them put it together for me.  They only charged an extra $60 to build and test it, and agreed to fix or replace anything that was wrong with it in the first few months.  (honestly, if anything was going to go wrong, it would have happened within the first month anyway, so extended warantees are a total waste of money)

Here are the components I ordered the last time I bought a PC this way.

Asus K8v Motherboard (onboard sound, ethernet, firewire, usb 2.0)
AMD 64 3400+
1 Gig Ddr Ram
250 Gig Sata hd
Nvidia 6800 with 256 megs ram
Plain black case with 450 watt power suppply
Pioneer dvd rw combo drive
Don't forget Case Fans!!!  (I did  :-[)

I spent about $1000 less than if I had bought a similar system through Dell, and this computer has been rock solid since I bought it last year.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 08:32:01 am »
What stores will put it together for me?  I doubt Best Buy will only charge $60.
Fry's?
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline dino

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Shnoob.
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 09:46:48 am »
There's Tigerdirect (Tigerdirect for Canada). If you're not really into gaming, those iMacs are pretty sweet. :)
Favorite games of all time:
1. Half-Life 2
2. Half-Life
3. Homeworld 2

F.E.A.R. pending for 2nd place.

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:52:47 am »
You need to find a small local store.  stay away from Best buys, frys, circuit city and all those kinds of places.  find a nice privately owned computer store.  Talk shop with the owners for a while while you are browsing, and feel them out.  If you get bad vibes, find someplace else.  you will know when you've found a good store.  Absolutely stay away from major chain stores.  You will got horrible customer service and pay through the nose for crappy products.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:06:53 am »
Yeah, the Best Buy and Circuit City white-coated men that make massive money don't know or do anything. A friend had a pretty bad crash with her harddrive. Nothing too important on it, she just wanted to keep her old computer without buying a new hardrive. So she went to Circuit City and after $250.00 in repairs they determined that it couldn't be fixed and was unusable. So I asked if I could try and all I did was format it through the start-up disk, reloaded Windows, and it runs fine now. Idiots tried to make her buy a brand new hardrive...she should've though, it would've been better then paying those idiots.

Although, the lack of knowledge could be just at that location. No offence to people who actually scored that job.

Edit: I custom made my computer two years ago and it saved me abou $700. And it still works well with current games:

Intel 2.8ghz
1gig RAM
nVidia GeForceFX 5600 256mb
Soundblaster Live!
Soundblaster 5.1 speakers
19" Sony Monitor

Although, I will be getting an brand new Powerbook http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/7201001/wo/L43JcdnQKGlS2wmZCVk3DwnH5mr/0.SLID?mco=7256EE37&nclm=PowerBook or Power Mac http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/7201001/wo/L43JcdnQKGlS2wmZCVk3DwnH5mr/0.SLID?mco=3C9AFF2C&nclm=PowerMac next year.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 10:12:26 am by TheShark »

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:26:45 am »
Yes. Stay away from the chains.

Look for a nice old Asian couple. I know it sounds racist but seriously, there is probably a husband and wife team SOMEWHERE near where you live that build awesome computers.

Also if you are daring, you could give it a try yourself. Building computers is quite a lot of fun and very satisfying. Plus you can diagnose problems better if you built it yourself.

I am sure some of use who have done it could lend a hand in the choosing of parts if you wanted to build your own.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:52:40 am »
Hey! I find that offending.

I am asian-american and yes, I can probably build you a computer. But how would you feel if I say: "hey if you wanna get fat, find a fat white couple near your neighborhood. Likely, they will know where the most tasty and fattiest food you can eat around town." or "hey if you wanna fix your lawn mower, find a middle age mexican in your neighborhood and they will know how to fix it."
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:22:09 pm »
I love ethnic sterotypes  ;D

i was going to add some advice about which ethnic groups you should steer clear of, but I self censored.  It's not worth offending anyone, and when you stop to think about it, just cause i've been cheated every single time I've dealt with people of certain ethinc backgrounds, does not mean they are all like that.  I've just been unlucky.

And no, I will never say who I'm talking about, so don't even speculate.

EDIT:  I just re-read that post and, boy does it sound sarcastic.  I really was trying to make a valid point against stereotyping.  Anywho... lets keep the topic on computers and consider this the end of the ethnic debate..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:25:23 pm by versatek »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 07:31:49 pm »
So...anyway...
I'd say build your own.  It's going to (probably) be cheaper and there are plenty of geeks on the net to give you a hand.
Good website for help: http://www.overclock.net/
Good place to get part prices: http://www.pricewatch.com

btw:  Anyone offended by me saying there's geeks on the net? ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 08:05:07 pm »
I embrace being a geek/nerd.

:-*

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 12:29:01 pm »
Haha, yeah, building your own computer is probably the most cheapest way and the most customized way you can do it.

I've been on tigerdirect the last couple of days and I've got everything set when I have enough money...

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ 2.0GHz / 256KB Cache / 1600MHz FSB / Socket 754 / Hyper-Transport / 64-Bit (Palermo) / Processor with Fan
Asus K8V SE Deluxe VIA Socket 754 ATX Motherboard / AGP 8X / Audio / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA
Ultra 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory
Seagate / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive
Asus GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / PCI Express / SLI / DVI / TV-Out / Video Card

Total = 469.95

Its the first computer I'm building and those are the basics, but it should be good when I get it all.  I don't have enough money yet, but with my current job, and about 22 hours a week, I should have it in about 4-5 weeks... *sigh* its a long wait, but worth it.
XYZZY!

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 02:02:54 pm »
I've always been very pleased with www.abspc.com - I've bought several machines from there for work, friends, and myself.  Had one hard drive fail once within a week of getting it, but they took care of that really nicely.

If you build yourself, I learned the hard way to NEVER use generic parts (like power supplies or ram) just to save a few bucks - you'll pay lots more a few weeks/down the line when those parts fail, sometimes taking others with them.

Some of the retailers on pricewatch aren't the best around...and some are excellent.  However, over several years of building PC's, I've gotten to the point where I buy almost exclusively from newegg.com - they have a huge loyal customer base for a good reason.

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 02:18:35 pm »

However, over several years of building PC's, I've gotten to the point where I buy almost exclusively from newegg.com - they have a huge loyal customer base for a good reason.

Newegg is simply phenomenal. Not only them, but Fedex as well.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 06:01:06 am »

However, over several years of building PC's, I've gotten to the point where I buy almost exclusively from newegg.com - they have a huge loyal customer base for a good reason.

Newegg is simply phenomenal. Not only them, but Fedex as well.
  I wasn't really into Newegg much until tonight.  Was researching an upcoming build and that site is just great.  The prices are very competative, the interface is great and the wishlist option is so easy to use.  Also, if something is out of stock, they give an exact time and date when it should be in (we'll see how accurate it is, I need an DFI Lan Party n4 SLI DR Expert by Monday of next week)
  I am indoubt about their reviews though.  The average reviewer doesn't seem that knowledgable so I would take their opinions with a grain of salt.  Then again, that could be said for everything you read on the internet.