Author Topic: Stargate Universe  (Read 22795 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Re: Stargate Universe
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 03:01:12 pm »
These time travel stories always seem to cheapen the shows. What basically happened was that the team we have been following was completely wiped out and we are now watching the exploits of an alternate reality team. Also what are the chances of every single team the SG series has follow has time traveled makes it even more cliche since every sci-fi show has time travel plots then they totally forget about them.

The only show I ever saw pull a time travel story off and follow through was Star Trek TNG where the result of a alternative reality member of the crew going back in time had offspring that became a Romulan menace later on.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:25 pm »
These time travel stories always seem to cheapen the shows. What basically happened was that the team we have been following was completely wiped out and we are now watching the exploits of an alternate reality team. Also what are the chances of every single team the SG series has follow has time traveled makes it even more cliche since every sci-fi show has time travel plots then they totally forget about them.

The only show I ever saw pull a time travel story off and follow through was Star Trek TNG where the result of a alternative reality member of the crew going back in time had offspring that became a Romulan menace later on.

What episode are you talking about? There are a ton of well done Time Travel episodes in Star Trek, especially TNG, but granted there are many many more bad ones than good ones. Still, the series finally of TNG (while not 'TECHNICALLY' a time-travel story) is one of the best stories I've seen along those lines. Still.. there are plenty of bad stories as well. What about the story involving the Enterprise-C? That one was particularly well crafted.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2009, 07:06:00 am »

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:30 pm »

What episode are you talking about? There are a ton of well done Time Travel episodes in Star Trek, especially TNG, but granted there are many many more bad ones than good ones. Still, the series finally of TNG (while not 'TECHNICALLY' a time-travel story) is one of the best stories I've seen along those lines. Still.. there are plenty of bad stories as well. What about the story involving the Enterprise-C? That one was particularly well crafted.

Yes I referring to the story that start with the episode Yesterday's Enterprise. You are right though there are plenty of interesting standalone stories out there especially in Star Trek its just that they forgot all that stuff ever happened after that episode and the rules for time travel tend to change from episode to episode.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:06 am »
It's not the 1st time travel episode in the Stargate-verse the most notable I can think of being when they traveled back to ancient Egypt to recover a Z.P.M. the episode pretty much states screwing around with the timeline doesn't cause paradoxes although it can still bite you in the ass if your not careful with what you change.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »
It's not the 1st time travel episode in the Stargate-verse the most notable I can think of being when they traveled back to ancient Egypt to recover a Z.P.M. the episode pretty much states screwing around with the timeline doesn't cause paradoxes although it can still bite you in the ass if your not careful with what you change.

They did kind of stretch things a bit when everything still happened exactly as it did before. No, wait; the pond has fish now. : P
Of course, it was alright, since it would have been too weird to make any significant changes to the characters because of it...

One of my favorite* Star Trek episodes has to be the two part Voyager time travel one, where they have to stop ed Begley Jr. from trapping the universe in an endless time paradox loop (with the help of Sarah Silverman).

*favorite regarding humor/camp value. plus the cool plot twist about the 90s computer revolution being a result of 24th century tech.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline ilovespore

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2009, 11:36:37 am »
my friend told me that stargate universe should be called stargate 90210 instead

i dont watch sci fi much but i like 90210

is it exactly the same so i should see it?

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2009, 12:30:04 pm »
In the words of LeVar Burton, "Don't take my word for it."
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2009, 05:11:38 pm »
I never really watched 90210 my self and while this version of Stargate does have a stronger drama side than previous versions of the show each focused more on a villain of the week. It doesn't go all the way into teen drama territory. Personally I think the balance is about right it's refreshing change to the formula to me although I have noticed for many their mileage may vary. Many have made a comparison to the new Battle Star Galactica now I never watched that my self. Still I think the show is really starting to get going and I'm interested as to where they plan on taking it.

Offline ilovespore

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 12:43:51 am »
I never really watched 90210 my self and while this version of Stargate does have a stronger drama side than previous versions of the show each focused more on a villain of the week. It doesn't go all the way into teen drama territory. Personally I think the balance is about right it's refreshing change to the formula to me although I have noticed for many their mileage may vary. Many have made a comparison to the new Battle Star Galactica now I never watched that my self. Still I think the show is really starting to get going and I'm interested as to where they plan on taking it.

my friend sais they ruined all of stargate with stargate universe and that every episode is worse than an episode of the bold and the beautiful i like the bold and the beautiful but if it is worse then that then i don watnt to watch it

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:32 pm »
If your friend doesn't like it, then he shouldn't watch it. Wrked for me with The Inbetweeners. Until, you know, I'm forced to watch as part of a media class.

Anyway, although having never watched 90210, I'm pretty sure it's nothing like it.

There are only about 3 young people I can think of. Scott, Eli and Chloe.

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:52 am »
Yeah its a ok show but its not that bad. The Eairler episodes got annoying but the newer are ok

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2009, 07:04:41 am »
IF YOU SEE THE NEW EPISODE Read ahead!

Its strange that Rush tryed to frame Young for when they thought it was a murder. I think Rush is going to get in that spaceship on that planet and attack them later
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:34:18 pm by Summoner »

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2009, 09:38:00 am »
We have spoiler tags. But really, whose coming in here when they haven't watched the latest episode?

Rush will be back. He's paid and listed as the "Lead Role". Not just as a main character.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2009, 10:04:38 am »
Also they have build him up to much.

If they where to remove him now it would most likely have to do something not connected to the story and then you would likely have heard it in tabloids. Not that i follow that. :P
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)