Author Topic: Alliances and diplomacy with other civilizations  (Read 17679 times)

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Alliances and diplomacy with other civilizations
« on: March 26, 2005, 01:27:23 pm »
Some of the reports of will wright his talk hinted that there are peacefull ways to deal with other tribes. He also said that beyond the sim city like gameplay there would be civilization like gameplay and diplomacy is crucial in all civilization games. In all civ games expect civ1 could you even form alliances with other civilizations and civ3 had even a diplomatic victory.I often enjoyed the diplomacy more in civilization then the war. It is also very fun to protect a weaker but friendly civilization againsts other civilizations.

So I wonder if one of your creatures would be the "king creatures" who you could sent to other king creatures to negotiate. It would be cool if diplomacy was not totaly abstracted but that you could actually see the carebear king his reaction to your diplomatic proposals.

It would also be cool if members of befriended civilizations would have an animation to show that they are friends when they meet each other, so that the carebears would hug there little pony allies when they met :)

What other things could be included in the dimplomacy of spore?

I can't wait to play with my carebear civilization who help all other civilizations until the whole galaxy is transformed in one big happy galaxy that cares :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 02:44:57 pm by kolpo »

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
Re: Alliances and diplomacy with other tribes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 01:37:18 pm »
No idea about diplomacy with other tribes during the tribal stage.

Maybe during city.

I'd like to know too how this system would work.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
Re: Alliances and diplomacy with other tribes
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
There was a game i loved to play it was a simple space conquest game involving planets and artifacts and ship combat.  It was called empire something on www.download.com and I have tried very hard to find that game to download again but i cant find it anywhere :'(

ANYWAY my favorite activity was researching new technologies and giving them to people and that increased our rating... eventually we would sign a non agression pact and ultimately join in a federation.  When that happened you basically peacefully took over everything they had... you were given control anyway.

I did this with every single alien species in each universe map untill you got to the very last one and had to kill them off.

I wouldn't mind some system like that, as once you get to the city era you evolve technology more then biology.
FYI if anyone has head of this game it was shareware.  the only thing about it that was different was that the game had artifacts on planets that increased your civ stats somehow.  It was my personal mission to steal every single one with spies once they were all collected.

I miss that game if anyone has heard its true title or know where I can redownload it, I would be the happiest dan in the whole 20!
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: Alliances and diplomacy with other civilizations
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 05:56:50 pm »
mmm, diplomacy, such a forgotten part of RTS

Xian Xio of the Chinese Empire
[ ] Ally
[ ] Hostile
Click one

That's always been the extent of it.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 05:59:43 pm »
u forgot.

• Nuetral

maybe alliances will have somehting to do with trade and money making.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 06:25:10 pm »
I loved nuetral! They can attack you but your subjects won't do anything about it.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 11:10:52 pm »
I always liked the games that let you attack your 'allies' without them retaliating.

There was a skirmish type like that in RA2 or something, I've forgotten now.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 11:19:06 am »
Will wright isn't a violent game developer. Even while spore is a real time game did he compared the planet fase of it with civilization and NOT with age of empires. Because of those 2 things do I think that there shall be peacefull ways to deal with other civilizations. Most likely would the peacefull ways be at least as efficient as the violent ones(if not more efficient).

Will wrights has a huge girl/non violent gamer fanbase. Those gamers would be shocked if killing there cute(or not so cute) neightbours is the only way to advance in the game.

He also literaly said that you can play the galatic game on the diplomatic star trek way. If they have diplomacy on the galactic level shall they most likely also have it on the civilization level.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 04:18:19 pm »
Unfortunately, for them, it won't be at the cellular level.  ;D

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:58:55 pm »
All those cute liitle green splodges! If you look at their mitochondria the right way it looks like a face :)
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 07:10:32 pm »
Cool, the ribosomes are like freckles!

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 08:20:13 pm »
I really would enjoy a diplomatic way to play the game instead of conquering.  Have some other species backing me up while I destory everyone else.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 08:44:12 pm »
In the 3rd podcast, steve said that their will be alternate ways to conqueor other species.

The gamespy report did mention diplomacy.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 10:31:04 pm »
More power to my British creatures!

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 06:39:47 am »
I'll form alliances with the tougher and smarter nations. Then when they least expect it.... KABOOM!