Author Topic: I won a PSP 3000 black  (Read 13675 times)

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
Re: I won a PSP 3000 black
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 12:06:22 am »
That's purposely trying to bypass the law.

That was back when cartridges were the big thing. It easily translates over to disks or files on your desktop.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 12:08:25 am »
No, no it doesn't.  The reason that a cart couldn't be copied was because buying a game enables the rights to the game code only, however in those days a lot of special code had to be included in the cart for it to run that the purchaser does not have the rights to.  With the universal formats on a CD, that it no longer an issue.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 12:11:39 am »
However, in the U.S. it has been illegal since 1983 for a user to create their own backups of video game ROMs onto other cartridges. This was decided in the court case of Atari v. JS&A. JS&A manufactured a "game backup" device that allowed users to dump their Atari ROMs onto a blank cartridge. JS&A argued that the archival rule allowed for this. The court disagreed, noting that ROM media was not subject to the same volatility as magnetic media (for which the law was created).

If it translates from A to B. It translates also to C, being the next generation of the same thing.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 12:12:08 am »
DnD, Don't insult others. Mind your P's and Q's, please.

Everyone else: DnD is right, partially. It is not illegal to own a legitimate Digital Backup on games you've bought and own yourself. However where they get you is if you have to break Copy-Protection software/measures in order to do it. While this alone is not technically illegal (unless you have to decompile the software involved), a company could sue you if they felt like it (EULA is a contract, not law. Contracts would fall under a Civil Court, not a Criminal one). So owning a digital copy that you make yourself is not illegal, but if you have to break the EULA to do it, you are liable for a law suit (assuming the company wants to pursue it and so on). Downloading a digital copy, itself, is not illegal especially if you own the game. However it does make you liable for a Civil Lawsuit by a company/organization with rights to that product. What is illegal, is distributing (sharing, or other-wise allowing access to digital copies), on top of that you can also face the lawsuit for breaking the EULA. But strictly ripping your own digital copies (assuming you don't need to bypass copy protection) is in no way illegal (in the United States). Period. End.

Met: From that same article: "Some games companies, such as Nintendo, print warnings inside their game manuals that they do not allow users to make backup or archival copies. Whether or not these warnings in this specific form can be considered valid contracts is legally questionable." Your link also deals with the issue of cartridge-based software and the issue of Roms. It does not deal with a raw data format (it is specifically mentioned that converting it into a ROM is illegal, not copying the data as-is in a raw format), disc-based software, or ownership thereof of ROMS (that you yourself did not convert). Yes, it presents a precedent, but it is not quite applicable in this discussion as is. Discs (especially the high-capacity ones) are prone to data loss through many more means, and are much more volatile through regular use than originally thought. If you want a Disc to stay in perfect condition, you need to store it and not use it. This just is not possible for games that require the disc to play. This increases the possibility of scratches, warping, and many other hazards to the disc itself. As such, making a Digital Copy for Use and the Original Copy as a "Master CD" would be considered perfectly legal. If memory serves, the RIAA/Music Industry was denied a lawsuit before and as such, set precedent for Disc-based digital backups being legal. What is illegal (contractually, unless, again, you are decompiling a program which is also criminal) is breaking copy protection (as long as that copy protection is not invasive or destructive), and distribution.

One last thing. I suggest this conversation move in a more productive manner, or that people stop posting in this topic.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 07:36:54 am »
Good post Doomsday in going in to detail about the law. I take it is American law you referring to?
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 12:36:01 pm »
Yes, United States law.. but I'm the most layman of laymen when it comes to that and I rely on my memory and common sense about as much as any facts.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 05:52:59 pm »
It is most definately legal in the US.

Mag.. If your firmware is above 5.50, then you would have to buy a pandora battery.

I had 4.2 something which I upgraded to the right version and then flashed it so I can play any game whenever.

Works like a charm.
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 12:42:32 am »
Mmm.. my sister updated my psp to 6.0.. So none of my games work anymore
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:59:03 pm by Kidsoldier »
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 01:22:40 pm »
Mmm.. my sister updating my psp to 6.0.. So none of my games work anymore
Slap her?
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.