Author Topic: The Gift of Waiting  (Read 22364 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: The Gift of Waiting
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:41:54 pm »
I don't think DaMuncha even knows what any of those creatures are.

Again, for those that spent their time sitting around for Spore to come out will obviously express their apathy of the game. For those that actually went beyond the game and began creating their own worlds long before the game was released appreciate the release and love the game. Depending on each person's response, you can tell who actually exercised their imaginations and spent a great deal of time in the creation corner. Everyone else expected the game to do all of that for them already. Which kind of saddens me they don't take it upon themselves to be self-productive, and instead, blame a game for being shallow and not helping them be more creative.

Yeah I think that might have been one large part of the overall disappointment. As Maxis has said "Spore is an Imagination Amplifier". And well if you have no imagination then its going to suck for you. And for a time in the beginning Spore was pretty awesome. However once you played the same thing over and over again Spore was no better than the creature creator. Which might I add is actually very fun to play by itself due to the amount of creativity you can make out of it. But its not a game, its just a tool.

As for the time before we had Spore. The same thing happened. Those that were creative were able to express themselves at a time were very like-minded people were all gathered in one place (or at least very few places). You had a captive audience plus other creative people to be inspired by which in turn motivates people to want to be creative themselves. I don't know how many people over the years have thanked me for the Nauceans inspiring them to want to make their own creature. I can totally relate since I was just as inspired to keep making the Nauceans when species like the Kazea, Torpal and ViS were active.

In short this topic is not about whether or not Spore was how we imagined but the fact it inspired us to use our imaginations and create what we thought Spore could be.

gec05

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »
I can't even remember the last time I actually played a saved game. But I always turn on the game to play with the editors.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:23 pm »
I can't even remember the last time I actually played a saved game. But I always turn on the game to play with the editors.
Ditto.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 06:33:59 pm »
I wish I could play at all. l:<

Stupid computer.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:16 pm »
actualy, I came up with my ideas long before I heard of spore. I just thought spore would be a convinient way of displaying them
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:24 am »
actualy, I came up with my ideas long before I heard of spore. I just thought spore would be a convinient way of displaying them

Me too. There really was no name for it other than I suppose "Speculative Evolution". But really unless you were a bio-geek already who would know that? And where would you go to talk about it? Spore seemed to be the common place where gamers and bio-geeks could gather in once place. Not to mention all the sci-fi fans and artists. "Spore" as a unifying concept of all these disciplines is what I had hoped Spore would become. I already loved biology and natural history. Plus I had drawing of aliens, dinosaurs and other fantasy creatures. No to mention I was a long time fan of the "Sim" games all the way back to the original Sim City. Games like Sim Earth and Sim Life influenced my love of games while artists and scientists like Dougal Dixon and Wayne Barlowe influenced my love of speculative art and natural science. Will Wright already designed and researched these plus many more great scientists, artists and game designers. If anyone was to make the ultimate natural history simulation game it would have been Will Wright. To me Spore seemed like it would be the ultimate game that brought all my loves together into one game. It makes me want to make such a game so it can exist. Because such a great idea should not be disguarded because one attempt did not live up to what we imagined. I mean really its like Will Wright made the first airplane but we wanted a stealth fighter. Perhaps in the future our dream of what Spore could have been will eventully be created. Maybe not by Maxis or EA but by someone inspired by the concept of Spore.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:51:52 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »
I'm pretty much of the same view as Hydro. I'd been interested in biology, but before Spore, I hadn't made anything completely my own. I explained the functionings of Dragons, developed the life cycle of the Predator, and extrapolated the culture of the Gen'dai. I filled in the blanks, but I never created anything myself. Spore changed that. In waiting for the game, I began to crystalize all these little factoids of biological knowlage into actual organisms. Then, it led me here, where I finally had a place to bounce these ideas around. By some miracle of game design, I was finally able to get into touch with like minds. In short, the idea of Spore... heck, the excuse of Spore (later on), kicked my creativity into high gear.

Now that I had all these ideas, I looked to Spore as a sort of "spellcheck" for plausibility. I knew my more outlandish races wouldn't even be concidered (liquid lifeforms, shapeshifters, energy beings, highly variable races), but I hoped that Spore would be able to help me refine those that were in its range. I wanted to know if something like the Somberon was actually able to walk properly, if my duck-like creature would waddle or walk like a humanoid, if something like Half-Life's Hunter could realy gallop around at high speed. I wanted a basic model of international realtions to see if I was anywhere near doing it right. In the end, I wanted to see who would win in an interstellar fight between two of my empires.

In the end, though, the answers I got were: yes, it can walk properly (but so could anything else), it walks like a humanoid (but so does everything else), yes, it can run quickly (but only with the right feet), I guess (but I'm not even sure I'm doing it right), and, in the end, the winner is allways me. That was the real dissapointment for me, I believe. It was a good tool, but in many cases it was like using a plastic kid's hammer to pound in real nails. :P I'm currently searching for a real hammer (ie. A skeleton-driven gait analyzer with user input for limb configurations). I wonder if the Maxites will sell their original "morphology matters" code to someone...

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 12:14:37 am »
@Darth Grievi

Yeah you were wishing for like a Star Trek "holodeck" in which you could program in your own little world and see it play out in a simulation. Sadly even without the holographic technology such a program seems to be impossible (for now). But I hope some day that such a simulation game would be possible. I mean really don't we all want to "Play God" and see our own little creations come to life in our own little computer universe?

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:19 am »
I mean really don't we all want to "Play God" and see our own little creations come to life in our own little computer universe?
Yes, I also wish to mess with their computer minds as well. Its always fun to do that to your creations.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 12:37:36 am »
Hydro and Greivi pretty much hit the nail on the head right there. :)

I guess, I have the same reaction towards what we got in the end. Thinking about it, I think Spore really was able to accomplish some of the things it promised. One of which was to pave the way for the next generation.

In a sense, Spore really was "Just the beginning..." 8)

Offline amigang

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • Vincent Perkins
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 03:47:36 am »
I have to agree, the wait was one of the best things about the game. I still enjoyed the game and its editors but its far from what I imagined it would be and being realistic I don't think any game weather it be spore 05 or spore 08 or even spore 2020 will ever meet all the requirements, I had fun I continue to have a bit of fun more messing around rather than serious gaming with spore but I've moved on. Galactic Adventure has added a bit more gameplay into it and allows you to mess around even more, but it still simple gameplay, I wish this game came out 10 years ago I think I would of enjoyed it a lot more as a kid but i moved on. But one of the highlight for me was the community I was a part of for a little while. thanks to all.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 04:27:27 pm »
I was NOT disappointed with Spore because I didn't have expectations. I like the game just fine. The things that happened during the wait time mean more to me then the game itself. Things that never would have happened in my life if not for Spore. The journey was the best part.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »
I was NOT disappointed with Spore because I didn't have expectations. I like the game just fine. The things that happened during the wait time mean more to me then the game itself. Things that never would have happened in my life if not for Spore. The journey was the best part.

I agree with you.  Since the '05 demo (which I saw on a site no longer functioning.  Shows how long it's been.) I have been waiting and waiting.  My Fiikkal wouldn't have surfaced because Hydro wouldn't have been inspired to make the 2D pre-spore editor.  I probably wouldn't be here.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:09 pm »
Ditto, I mean, I would've never found this forum if it weren't for the RPs and games that spawned from the wait for Spore.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 04:32:41 pm »
I have to say, I loved waiting for the game, and I still think the game is good.

I think of the game, not as a way the people here were going to express their creatures. I think it was just a spark to cause everyone to actually make them, not limited to the confines of the game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:36:01 pm by Skyward »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!