Author Topic: The Gift of Waiting  (Read 22378 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
The Gift of Waiting
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:17:43 pm »
People always look on the bad side of Spore and what it did not give them. But I am here to say that Spore in its VERY long wait for the game gave the online community an extended period in which we were free to create and imagine what it would be like. It was a very special time because people would gather in mass wanting to know any new info and were frequently expressing themselves though spore Fan-fiction such as the Nauceans.

However now, many have moved on and gone to other games and interests. Spore may not have been all we dreamed of but for a time it was for us in our imaginations. And for that I thank Maxis for having it go on for so long. For the journey was indeed the fun part while the destination was only great when you say experienced it for the first time.

All I have to say is that that time was a very special time that could only be done once. For even if they have a Spore 2 and claim that it will have everything Spore was suppose to have, very few will fall for that again. So I am very thankful I was apart of the pre-spore community from nearly the beginning. And no matter what you think of the actual game you must admit that those times were indeed an awesome time to be here at Gaming Steve's. [/nostalgia]

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Gift of Waiting
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »
                :'( :'( :'(

So true, Hydro... :'(

So true... :'(

*hug*

:)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »
Wow... That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard about a game.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:55 pm »
Maybe for you guys, I like spore but hated the wait, Spore jaded me to waiting for games now, Now i try to avoid any news of new games until their release is almost immediate

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »
It's an important lesson all gamers learn at some point Gorman. I learnt the lesson off of Rareware many years ago and future gaming generations will learn it in their own way.

gec05

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »
That's because you really didn't do much than discuss it Gorman.

Me and Hydro can relate since we didn't sit around waiting for info and decided to get constructive by creating things without the game.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »
I created things but only in my mind, I had no other way of doing it, I cant draw or really do anything to express my ideas.

Spore is how i met you guys and this forum however.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:25 am »
I think Hydro is very right in saying that we've gotten a lot of good things out of the long wait. In fact, I always used to think the same, even before the game was released. At the end it didn't matter to me if the game would turn out as good as anticipated, because of all the other things that resulted of it.

The wait is actually a very important thing to me personally, because I would go as far as to say I wouldn't be drawing nearly as much today if I had never learnt about Spore. I used to draw for arts class and once a year I'd maybe draw some of my own stuff, too. But I was never serious about it until I came to this forum and saw that other people were doing their best to create something new, and their efforts were appreciated. I wanted to show that I can do something like that, too, so I made my own creature, participated in the TAA collages and eventually started looking for tutorials online and finding ways to improve my skills.

Naturally if I'd never come across Spore, I wouldn't have joined this forum, either. Besides all the drawing stuff, I would've missed out on a few friends, too. I'm not very social in real life, so that means a lot to me. And though I don't post much and though I have found a lot of other forums since then, this is still the only place on the internet where I feel at home.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:52:01 am »
No-one complains that much about the wait times. Certainly it was interminable at times but, quite honestly, no-one cares too much about it now. What they do care about is the breaking of promised content; the change of their hoped-for vision into another Sims game.

Spore was the hope and dream for science and biology geeks; a game that showed us a possibility to play with our little toy universes and watch the miracles of existence that we simply do not get to see in our limited, mayfly lives.

I'm happy with Spore, I really am. I loved what the wait gave us and the game itself isn't bad. However, it's not what people wanted or expected.

There's no need to bicker or resent these things but we can all agree that what we saw originally was not what we received in the end.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:23:38 am »
For what we got in the end. I dont think the wait was worth it.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:14 am »
For the people down in the Spore CC and RP Corners, it most probably was.

There's no need to bicker or resent these things but we can all agree that what we saw originally was not what we received in the end.

QFT

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 10:31:42 am »
For what we got in the end. I dont think the wait was worth it.

But it's not about what we got in the end.  It's what we got along the way.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:08 am »
For what we got in the end. I don't think the wait was worth it.

Who cans what we got in the end? Its still fun to play. Besides some creatures would have never existed if it wasn't for Spore. The Torpal, Naucean, Mallen, Kazea, Anubian, Necromonicon, Garganommoths, Quillaran, Snout, Sombreron, Vvukkrauur, Wexxians, and thousands of others would have never been created and RP with or spark the imagination of other artist if it wasn't for Spore. I actually like the wait. It gave me a chance to just imagine creatures again. I was in a dead spot with my drawings, sure I was getting better at it, but they had no real originality to them. I just didn't want to draw anymore. Then boom, along comes the Willosaurs. I was so amazed by its simple, yet weird design that it actually got me back into drawing again. It was totally worth every single second. The only problem was the dates it was suppost to be released. Stupid promise breakers.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

gec05

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:45 am »
I don't think DaMuncha even knows what any of those creatures are.

Again, for those that spent their time sitting around for Spore to come out will obviously express their apathy of the game. For those that actually went beyond the game and began creating their own worlds long before the game was released appreciate the release and love the game. Depending on each person's response, you can tell who actually exercised their imaginations and spent a great deal of time in the creation corner. Everyone else expected the game to do all of that for them already. Which kind of saddens me they don't take it upon themselves to be self-productive, and instead, blame a game for being shallow and not helping them be more creative.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:40 am »
He is missing out on a lot of awesome things then. :/

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:41:54 pm »

Again, for those that spent their time sitting around for Spore to come out will obviously express their apathy of the game. For those that actually went beyond the game and began creating their own worlds long before the game was released appreciate the release and love the game. Depending on each person's response, you can tell who actually exercised their imaginations and spent a great deal of time in the creation corner. Everyone else expected the game to do all of that for them already. Which kind of saddens me they don't take it upon themselves to be self-productive, and instead, blame a game for being shallow and not helping them be more creative.

Yeah I think that might have been one large part of the overall disappointment. As Maxis has said "Spore is an Imagination Amplifier". And well if you have no imagination then its going to suck for you. And for a time in the beginning Spore was pretty awesome. However once you played the same thing over and over again Spore was no better than the creature creator. Which might I add is actually very fun to play by itself due to the amount of creativity you can make out of it. But its not a game, its just a tool.

As for the time before we had Spore. The same thing happened. Those that were creative were able to express themselves at a time were very like-minded people were all gathered in one place (or at least very few places). You had a captive audience plus other creative people to be inspired by which in turn motivates people to want to be creative themselves. I don't know how many people over the years have thanked me for the Nauceans inspiring them to want to make their own creature. I can totally relate since I was just as inspired to keep making the Nauceans when species like the Kazea, Torpal and ViS were active.

In short this topic is not about whether or not Spore was how we imagined but the fact it inspired us to use our imaginations and create what we thought Spore could be.

gec05

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »
I can't even remember the last time I actually played a saved game. But I always turn on the game to play with the editors.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:23 pm »
I can't even remember the last time I actually played a saved game. But I always turn on the game to play with the editors.
Ditto.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 06:33:59 pm »
I wish I could play at all. l:<

Stupid computer.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:16 pm »
actualy, I came up with my ideas long before I heard of spore. I just thought spore would be a convinient way of displaying them
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:24 am »
actualy, I came up with my ideas long before I heard of spore. I just thought spore would be a convinient way of displaying them

Me too. There really was no name for it other than I suppose "Speculative Evolution". But really unless you were a bio-geek already who would know that? And where would you go to talk about it? Spore seemed to be the common place where gamers and bio-geeks could gather in once place. Not to mention all the sci-fi fans and artists. "Spore" as a unifying concept of all these disciplines is what I had hoped Spore would become. I already loved biology and natural history. Plus I had drawing of aliens, dinosaurs and other fantasy creatures. No to mention I was a long time fan of the "Sim" games all the way back to the original Sim City. Games like Sim Earth and Sim Life influenced my love of games while artists and scientists like Dougal Dixon and Wayne Barlowe influenced my love of speculative art and natural science. Will Wright already designed and researched these plus many more great scientists, artists and game designers. If anyone was to make the ultimate natural history simulation game it would have been Will Wright. To me Spore seemed like it would be the ultimate game that brought all my loves together into one game. It makes me want to make such a game so it can exist. Because such a great idea should not be disguarded because one attempt did not live up to what we imagined. I mean really its like Will Wright made the first airplane but we wanted a stealth fighter. Perhaps in the future our dream of what Spore could have been will eventully be created. Maybe not by Maxis or EA but by someone inspired by the concept of Spore.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:51:52 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »
I'm pretty much of the same view as Hydro. I'd been interested in biology, but before Spore, I hadn't made anything completely my own. I explained the functionings of Dragons, developed the life cycle of the Predator, and extrapolated the culture of the Gen'dai. I filled in the blanks, but I never created anything myself. Spore changed that. In waiting for the game, I began to crystalize all these little factoids of biological knowlage into actual organisms. Then, it led me here, where I finally had a place to bounce these ideas around. By some miracle of game design, I was finally able to get into touch with like minds. In short, the idea of Spore... heck, the excuse of Spore (later on), kicked my creativity into high gear.

Now that I had all these ideas, I looked to Spore as a sort of "spellcheck" for plausibility. I knew my more outlandish races wouldn't even be concidered (liquid lifeforms, shapeshifters, energy beings, highly variable races), but I hoped that Spore would be able to help me refine those that were in its range. I wanted to know if something like the Somberon was actually able to walk properly, if my duck-like creature would waddle or walk like a humanoid, if something like Half-Life's Hunter could realy gallop around at high speed. I wanted a basic model of international realtions to see if I was anywhere near doing it right. In the end, I wanted to see who would win in an interstellar fight between two of my empires.

In the end, though, the answers I got were: yes, it can walk properly (but so could anything else), it walks like a humanoid (but so does everything else), yes, it can run quickly (but only with the right feet), I guess (but I'm not even sure I'm doing it right), and, in the end, the winner is allways me. That was the real dissapointment for me, I believe. It was a good tool, but in many cases it was like using a plastic kid's hammer to pound in real nails. :P I'm currently searching for a real hammer (ie. A skeleton-driven gait analyzer with user input for limb configurations). I wonder if the Maxites will sell their original "morphology matters" code to someone...

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 12:14:37 am »
@Darth Grievi

Yeah you were wishing for like a Star Trek "holodeck" in which you could program in your own little world and see it play out in a simulation. Sadly even without the holographic technology such a program seems to be impossible (for now). But I hope some day that such a simulation game would be possible. I mean really don't we all want to "Play God" and see our own little creations come to life in our own little computer universe?

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:19 am »
I mean really don't we all want to "Play God" and see our own little creations come to life in our own little computer universe?
Yes, I also wish to mess with their computer minds as well. Its always fun to do that to your creations.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 12:37:36 am »
Hydro and Greivi pretty much hit the nail on the head right there. :)

I guess, I have the same reaction towards what we got in the end. Thinking about it, I think Spore really was able to accomplish some of the things it promised. One of which was to pave the way for the next generation.

In a sense, Spore really was "Just the beginning..." 8)

Offline amigang

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • Vincent Perkins
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 03:47:36 am »
I have to agree, the wait was one of the best things about the game. I still enjoyed the game and its editors but its far from what I imagined it would be and being realistic I don't think any game weather it be spore 05 or spore 08 or even spore 2020 will ever meet all the requirements, I had fun I continue to have a bit of fun more messing around rather than serious gaming with spore but I've moved on. Galactic Adventure has added a bit more gameplay into it and allows you to mess around even more, but it still simple gameplay, I wish this game came out 10 years ago I think I would of enjoyed it a lot more as a kid but i moved on. But one of the highlight for me was the community I was a part of for a little while. thanks to all.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 04:27:27 pm »
I was NOT disappointed with Spore because I didn't have expectations. I like the game just fine. The things that happened during the wait time mean more to me then the game itself. Things that never would have happened in my life if not for Spore. The journey was the best part.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »
I was NOT disappointed with Spore because I didn't have expectations. I like the game just fine. The things that happened during the wait time mean more to me then the game itself. Things that never would have happened in my life if not for Spore. The journey was the best part.

I agree with you.  Since the '05 demo (which I saw on a site no longer functioning.  Shows how long it's been.) I have been waiting and waiting.  My Fiikkal wouldn't have surfaced because Hydro wouldn't have been inspired to make the 2D pre-spore editor.  I probably wouldn't be here.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:09 pm »
Ditto, I mean, I would've never found this forum if it weren't for the RPs and games that spawned from the wait for Spore.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 04:32:41 pm »
I have to say, I loved waiting for the game, and I still think the game is good.

I think of the game, not as a way the people here were going to express their creatures. I think it was just a spark to cause everyone to actually make them, not limited to the confines of the game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:36:01 pm by Skyward »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »

I agree with you.  Since the '05 demo (which I saw on a site no longer functioning.  Shows how long it's been.) I have been waiting and waiting.  My Fiikkal wouldn't have surfaced because Hydro wouldn't have been inspired to make the 2D pre-spore editor.  I probably wouldn't be here.

Yeah Huggs's Creature Editor was so awesome. And really it was mostly his talents at work. All I did is help make some parts and promote the thing. He did all the hard work of programing and fixing up my parts. And look now even EA has a similar version of it for Nintendo DS. I wonder which one has more parts. :P

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:35:41 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 06:59:00 pm »
Wow, that pic is pretty sweet! :)

Yup, Hugg's CC really was and still pretty awesome! 8)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:58 pm »

I agree with you.  Since the '05 demo (which I saw on a site no longer functioning.  Shows how long it's been.) I have been waiting and waiting.  My Fiikkal wouldn't have surfaced because Hydro wouldn't have been inspired to make the 2D pre-spore editor.  I probably wouldn't be here.

Yeah Huggs's Creature Editor was so awesome. And really it was mostly his talents at work. All I did is help make some parts and promote the thing. He did all the hard work of programing and fixing up my parts. And look now even EA has a similar version of it for Nintendo DS. I wonder which one has more parts. :P

Wait... You're that Hydromancerx?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:42 pm »
How many do you know?  :D

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 07:32:45 pm »
Well, I'd heard of a Hydromancerx affiliated with the Hugg's Editor, but I never thought I would meet him. Huh.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »
It's a small world, eh? :)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »
It's a small world, eh? :)
It is, isn't it?

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 11:26:27 pm »
its the internet. everything is tiny. as in, microscopic storage space tiny.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 11:59:04 pm »

Yep. May I ask where you discovered the Creature Editor 3.0?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 05:23:39 am »
I wasn't dissapointed with Spore, I was mildly annoyed that some features were taken out, but such things are to be expected with most games.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 07:09:38 am »
I was mildly annoyed that some features were taken out
I'm still waiting for the underwater expansion. Or maybe something in between the tribal and civ. stages.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 11:06:08 am »

I found it on SporeWiki.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »
I would love to see an expansion to the tribal phase (maybe civ) that makes it feel like more of a simulation/RTS, as opposed to just a weak RTS.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »
I was mildly annoyed that some features were taken out
I'm still waiting for the underwater expansion. Or maybe something in between the tribal and civ. stages.

Don't forget the Flora Editor. I want to make some plants!!

I found it on SporeWiki.

Cool! Its a good thing I posted stuff there. :D

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 01:23:39 am »
So you are actually glad that they promised us the game to end all game releases etc.

And we all thought it was something special and we end up with a game that can not even win the game of the year award. Something that had it all but in the end was just a good creature editor and nothing more.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 07:29:21 am »
You're forgetting the wait time.  You know how exciting it was to take part in?  What ever, you're just like most of the others who care only for the final product.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 10:53:42 am »
Excuse me.................

I was around since 2005-2006 so please put some pie into that mouth.

I was part of it and enjoyed the philosofic discussions about how life evolves etc. Which by the way was too little of. Much of what we discussed was based on the idea that spore would be a somewhat realistic game according to the 2005 video. Not some game where a 5 pound animal beats a 200 pound gorrilla and loses 5% health in the fight. A game where specs matters and could in some way simulate life.
A game where we had a chance to experiment with hacks etc and see what a world with 50% predators and 30% herbivores would have evolved etc. etc etc.

Spore was a hype that was fun to discuss and yes in a way some parts of it is missing like those discussions but the hype was based on game that was FAR from what we expected.

Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 11:50:17 am »
but the hype was based on game that was FAR from what we expected.

*looks around*
*stands up*
*Slow clap*

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2009, 02:44:35 pm »
Wasn't hydro the first to ever post a creature on here?
I always looked up to you for it, it was so inspiring and creative, and sagan came with it too, even though i might disagree with its policies a bit, i still think its a great great idea with great artwork and imiganitive lands. I loved the time, the zrithigs were my creatures, I remember creating the SWU just to beat the O.T.H.E.R and that other alliance which were wussies in my oppinion (no offense i just wanted some conflict) I remember all the talks on what wed want in the game, the discussions that went on over life. Spore also brought me to this forum, and even though i am not so involved I still like most faces i see on here... I learned alot about aspergers too, and Kenobro is in my heart, even if he hates my heart. I thank spore for it. I love the game, even if its not what i imagined.
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 11:19:41 pm »
So you are actually glad that they promised us the game to end all game releases etc.

As a slightly late rebuttal to that, they never promised us that.  We built it up to that and assured ourselves that that would be the case.

I will agree that the hype was different, but that was our own doing.  As time went on, the game went in one direction while we chose to veer off on another tangent.  We have nobody to blame but ourselves if we are dissapointed.  Spore is a good game and an amazing piece of technology, it just isn't the world-changing super simulator we told ourselves it would be.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2009, 05:15:24 am »
I will agree that the hype was different, but that was our own doing.  As time went on, the game went in one direction while we chose to veer off on another tangent.  We have nobody to blame but ourselves if we are dissapointed.  Spore is a good game and an amazing piece of technology, it just isn't the world-changing super simulator we told ourselves it would be.

That is not really the point of this thread. its not what Spore is but what we imagined it to be and how amazing it was during the time of "pre-spore".

gec05

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 12:42:27 pm »
Which is the darker side of the subject you brought up Hydro. Some people did take those speculations as fact, and were led to believe that the game was to be so.

Spore-addict is a prime example. He just made a statement that Maxis never made, but based it off other people's claims and praises.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 12:44:00 am »
Which is the darker side of the subject you brought up Hydro. Some people did take those speculations as fact, and were led to believe that the game was to be so.

Spore-addict is a prime example. He just made a statement that Maxis never made, but based it off other people's claims and praises.

You have a point. While I became one of the biggest fans of spore during this time I did make sure to check any facts of peoples claims. Basiclly if it did not comes directly from someone at EA or Maxis it was not true. And even then there was many things that were so vague that wild speculations sprung from them. For example features in the the hidden files within the creature creator that were eventually taken out or changed.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38:29 pm »
I started my account here at gamingsteve on August 09, 2005 only about a week after I had learned of the upcoming game. I can attest that those many months were some of the best I have ever spent on the internet. I spent broad swaths of time designing strange and terrible creatures, sculpting them in my mind like a piece of art and then streamlining them down to something that would excel in the real world. I would write stories describing how their unique biology and living conditions would affect their culture and technology. I would draw up whole maps of the worlds I wanted to carve into things of beauty. More than once I ended up laughing madly, my extremities tingling like I just had a close brush with death, just from the excitement.

I can understand why they had to give up some of the grand ideas we all wanted. It takes time to code and every day they hold off releasing the product means more potential customers are going to trickle away and so I never asked for the moon. What enraged me is that they had certain features programmed in one part of the game but not in others or the developers used it to make something in the game but never released it to the players. We have placement specific effects for different bodyparts: just look at all the horn-jousting you do in cell phase. We have asymmetrical bodypart placement: just look at the grox or one or two of the 'bug' creatures. The examples are legion. I won't even go into... stylistic issues or the soul-eating grind I found tribal and beyond.

I had squeezed what little joy out of the game within a week and giving up all hope in a few more. I snapped the discs for both the game and the creature creator in half and mailed the damn things back. Considering I had to buy an external DVD-drive for my computer just to run the damn thing, I was not pleased. I would have preferred that Spore turn into vaporware and left me my dreams.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:49:01 pm by Hectonkhyres »

Offline Spudman

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • ORBIT
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 12:24:43 am »
Hmm, i agree, it was a huge disappointment, but it still was fu waiting for it to come out, and the creations made because of the game seem to make it all a little better.
I think that it would have been better if it focussed individually on different aspects of the game, like the creature phase as one disk etc. so it wouldn't have been so bad, as it could channel all of the creative force in there. But they didn't. A huge disappointment.
The game irritated me at parts, where humour was used, and the cartoon-style i didn't like. Also, some of the creations made were just... stupid.

Overall game bad, long wait, good.  :)

I await the day that i shall create my own, better, SPORE game.
"You will all suffer my sins, your oceans of blood will soothe my body and purify of it or this world which I have been born into. Your souls will merge with mine, your pain and fear and despair will drive my crusade!"

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 12:50:59 pm »
I await the day that i shall create my own, better, SPORE game.

Well, I'm allready awaiting that too :D

It was really a great time. I thought you people would think I'm crazy if I said I really liked the wait, untill I found out about this thread. I didn't knew more people felt like that too, haha ;)
Also, I don't think it can ever be done again, the hype that was then, will never be achieved some time else I think.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:52:39 pm by The_Kev »
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Spudman

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • ORBIT
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 02:43:22 pm »
Hmm, i suppose.
Well, i like the wait so much, it made me get into Worldbuilding etc. Of that i'm glad, but the game i'm not.
"You will all suffer my sins, your oceans of blood will soothe my body and purify of it or this world which I have been born into. Your souls will merge with mine, your pain and fear and despair will drive my crusade!"

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 02:54:23 pm »
Well kev, i sometimes refer to spore as the second black and white
i was pretty hyped about the possibilities of bnw too, turned out quite different :(
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2009, 07:10:23 pm »
yea, I prefer my own writing and creating over fighting through the shoddy game-play of spore. hell, I wrote a novella, and it has nothing to do with spore, nor was it inspired by it

I wanna take a trip back. now I know some of you think 'spores out, so I'm not participating in rp's here anymore'. I don't care. I do!

weird for me to say this, cause I never have...
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 02:41:21 am »
yea, I prefer my own writing and creating over fighting through the shoddy game-play of spore. hell, I wrote a novella, and it has nothing to do with spore, nor was it inspired by it

I wanna take a trip back. now I know some of you think 'spores out, so I'm not participating in rp's here anymore'. I don't care. I do!

weird for me to say this, cause I never have...

Well I may not do any more Pre-Spore Fan Fiction, but I still am doing Sagan 4. It is sort of the child of the Pre-Spore Community and Speculative World Building. It has become its own game in its own right an int turn has spawned my other "sister"  world builder projects out there. I can thank the Pre-Spore time period for it being possible to do. Also a special thanks to all who have participated in it over the years and LadyM for hosting its current website.

Sagan 4
http://sagan4.com/