Author Topic: The Gift of Waiting  (Read 22099 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
The Gift of Waiting
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:17:43 pm »
People always look on the bad side of Spore and what it did not give them. But I am here to say that Spore in its VERY long wait for the game gave the online community an extended period in which we were free to create and imagine what it would be like. It was a very special time because people would gather in mass wanting to know any new info and were frequently expressing themselves though spore Fan-fiction such as the Nauceans.

However now, many have moved on and gone to other games and interests. Spore may not have been all we dreamed of but for a time it was for us in our imaginations. And for that I thank Maxis for having it go on for so long. For the journey was indeed the fun part while the destination was only great when you say experienced it for the first time.

All I have to say is that that time was a very special time that could only be done once. For even if they have a Spore 2 and claim that it will have everything Spore was suppose to have, very few will fall for that again. So I am very thankful I was apart of the pre-spore community from nearly the beginning. And no matter what you think of the actual game you must admit that those times were indeed an awesome time to be here at Gaming Steve's. [/nostalgia]

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Gift of Waiting
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »
                :'( :'( :'(

So true, Hydro... :'(

So true... :'(

*hug*

:)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »
Wow... That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard about a game.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:55 pm »
Maybe for you guys, I like spore but hated the wait, Spore jaded me to waiting for games now, Now i try to avoid any news of new games until their release is almost immediate

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »
It's an important lesson all gamers learn at some point Gorman. I learnt the lesson off of Rareware many years ago and future gaming generations will learn it in their own way.

gec05

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »
That's because you really didn't do much than discuss it Gorman.

Me and Hydro can relate since we didn't sit around waiting for info and decided to get constructive by creating things without the game.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »
I created things but only in my mind, I had no other way of doing it, I cant draw or really do anything to express my ideas.

Spore is how i met you guys and this forum however.

Offline Great Distance

• Mappy Meowky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:25 am »
I think Hydro is very right in saying that we've gotten a lot of good things out of the long wait. In fact, I always used to think the same, even before the game was released. At the end it didn't matter to me if the game would turn out as good as anticipated, because of all the other things that resulted of it.

The wait is actually a very important thing to me personally, because I would go as far as to say I wouldn't be drawing nearly as much today if I had never learnt about Spore. I used to draw for arts class and once a year I'd maybe draw some of my own stuff, too. But I was never serious about it until I came to this forum and saw that other people were doing their best to create something new, and their efforts were appreciated. I wanted to show that I can do something like that, too, so I made my own creature, participated in the TAA collages and eventually started looking for tutorials online and finding ways to improve my skills.

Naturally if I'd never come across Spore, I wouldn't have joined this forum, either. Besides all the drawing stuff, I would've missed out on a few friends, too. I'm not very social in real life, so that means a lot to me. And though I don't post much and though I have found a lot of other forums since then, this is still the only place on the internet where I feel at home.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:52:01 am »
No-one complains that much about the wait times. Certainly it was interminable at times but, quite honestly, no-one cares too much about it now. What they do care about is the breaking of promised content; the change of their hoped-for vision into another Sims game.

Spore was the hope and dream for science and biology geeks; a game that showed us a possibility to play with our little toy universes and watch the miracles of existence that we simply do not get to see in our limited, mayfly lives.

I'm happy with Spore, I really am. I loved what the wait gave us and the game itself isn't bad. However, it's not what people wanted or expected.

There's no need to bicker or resent these things but we can all agree that what we saw originally was not what we received in the end.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:23:38 am »
For what we got in the end. I dont think the wait was worth it.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:14 am »
For the people down in the Spore CC and RP Corners, it most probably was.

There's no need to bicker or resent these things but we can all agree that what we saw originally was not what we received in the end.

QFT

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 10:31:42 am »
For what we got in the end. I dont think the wait was worth it.

But it's not about what we got in the end.  It's what we got along the way.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:08 am »
For what we got in the end. I don't think the wait was worth it.

Who cans what we got in the end? Its still fun to play. Besides some creatures would have never existed if it wasn't for Spore. The Torpal, Naucean, Mallen, Kazea, Anubian, Necromonicon, Garganommoths, Quillaran, Snout, Sombreron, Vvukkrauur, Wexxians, and thousands of others would have never been created and RP with or spark the imagination of other artist if it wasn't for Spore. I actually like the wait. It gave me a chance to just imagine creatures again. I was in a dead spot with my drawings, sure I was getting better at it, but they had no real originality to them. I just didn't want to draw anymore. Then boom, along comes the Willosaurs. I was so amazed by its simple, yet weird design that it actually got me back into drawing again. It was totally worth every single second. The only problem was the dates it was suppost to be released. Stupid promise breakers.

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

gec05

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:45 am »
I don't think DaMuncha even knows what any of those creatures are.

Again, for those that spent their time sitting around for Spore to come out will obviously express their apathy of the game. For those that actually went beyond the game and began creating their own worlds long before the game was released appreciate the release and love the game. Depending on each person's response, you can tell who actually exercised their imaginations and spent a great deal of time in the creation corner. Everyone else expected the game to do all of that for them already. Which kind of saddens me they don't take it upon themselves to be self-productive, and instead, blame a game for being shallow and not helping them be more creative.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:40 am »
I don't think DaMuncha even knows what any of those creatures are.
He is missing out on a lot of awesome things then. :/

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier