Author Topic: The Official Spore Movie Thread  (Read 15980 times)

gec05

The Official Spore Movie Thread
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:08:54 pm »
http://kotaku.com/5372523/ea-finds-a-home-for-spore-movie-project

As confirmed by Kotaku, EA has landed a deal on the Spore movie with 20th Century Fox and the director of "Ice Age." Lucy Bradshaw will co-produce the film. This is just a confirmation of a picture deal and it may or may not mean the movie will actually make it to official production, seeing as EA has other IPs getting the games-to-film treatment in queue.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut...

Assuming we'll be getting a Spore film, I already sent a inquiry to one of Spore's head designers. But if there is more interest from them, we might as well ask ourselves. What user-created Gaming Steve creature deserves a stand-in role in the movie? It'd be nice to have some forum representation. But I wouldn't just lobby any of my own creatures. (as much as I'd like to) I think Hydro's Naucean, LadyM's Mallen, and Oviraptor's Vvukkrauur deserve our prime consideration, especially since Maxis was so kind to recreate them before the Creature Editor was released.

Now I'm only thinking they could give us a stand-in role for our creatures. Understandably, they are writing the story, they will make the characters suited for the leading roles. So a 15-second glimpse is all we ask.

I think LadyM and Hydro could give their thoughts, since they have been in contact with Maxis in the flesh before.

Online Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Spore Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »
A Spore movie. I think I'm going to pee myself...

I'm not sure if it's from fear or from happiness.

It has a lot of potential, but then, so did Spore. I just hope they don't over-hype it, like they did with Spore.

gec05

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:22:24 pm »
Seeing the kind of charm and humor Maxis puts into their games, I can see this as being a family film. They've been that way for ages, I don't know why everyone is so clueless to it.

Everyone should come to expect the same. If you carefully examine how Maxis adventures play out in Galactic Adventures, you can expect the same with this movie. It will be a charming film and nothing too dark or serious.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:48:31 pm »
If there are fan-made creature cameo's then the Naucean is a given.  It was the first.  It is the greatest.

Granted, I would be able to die happy with even a second long glimpse of my Kratair somewhere in a distant crowd shot, but there are for more deserving.  Like the Somberon for one (I'll say it if Gec won't).

Of course, this is all still in the realm of distant possibilities, and history should have taught us that no good comes from overhyping something that's half a decade away.

Well, some good, but not enough.  Not enough.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:22:12 pm »
A spore movie? A  SPORE MOVIE!? How the heck are they going to pull that off!?
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:01:26 am »
As long as we are dealing with hypotheticals, I'm going to represent my old stomping grounds of Sporesite.com (R.I.P.) and suggest Petreak's Mentripod.  He's a member on this site too even though he hasn't posted in ages, and was included with Hydro, LadyM, and Ovi.  (Seeing as I was Third in Command at sporesite, I'd nominate my Gocket as an alternate.)

As for creatures from GS, I would suggest the Sombrerons, Torpals, and Wexxians.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Insani99999

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:25:38 am »
I would rather they just worked on a new expansion, but a Spore movie might also be enjoyable.

Oh and yes, I'm back ;)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:49:47 am »
The only real cameos to be made will be the micro-celebrities from the spore groups, which is a shame. Some lesser-known species/creations, combined with their descriptions, would make great additions. The trouble is, without that micro-celebritism, nobody is going to know of them, nor get their references.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:22 am »
As for creatures from GS, I would suggest the Sombrerons, Torpals, and Wexxians.

As much as I'd like them to be confirmed as part of the cast, it really pains me to say that inserting the Wexxians into the film will be kinda out of place, since there are no mechanical creatures in the game itself, except for the Grox. :(

Sure, they can make them look mechanical, but in reality, they'll still be just biologicals wearing robot-looking costumes. :-\

Though, "honorary" Wexxians would most probably be able to fit into the movie. Then again, the only reason there are honorary Wexxians is because of the mechanical Wexxians. :(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:05:50 am by Yuu »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:20:48 pm »
A wexxian wouldn't be a stretch at all if you ask me.  If those of you who have Galactic Adventures will remember, the very first adventure has you being ordered around by a robot.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 04:41:33 pm »
I can't see any way a move centered around spore would work. The only thing not user-made is the Grox! Other then that, it would really be "spore", just a weird "science fiction" show.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Mr. President

• Wizard of Wor
  • Obama Delta Hurricane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:45:38 pm »
Epic Awesome!
No, get a label gun and shoot them with labels like "Bad guy #1" "Bad guy #2" Slightly badder guy" "Guy that thinks he is bad but is really good and just confused"

Hopefully a joke.

Beat ya to it opera.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 04:47:23 pm »
Epic Awesome!

Dude, seriously, it's starting to equate to spam...

Anyways, all I can say is that this will no doubt be without story, or at least a compelling story.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Online Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 05:03:37 pm »
Epic Awesome!

Dude, seriously, it's starting to equate to spam...

Anyways, all I can say is that this will no doubt be without story, or at least a compelling story.
NO, IT IS NOT SPAM. HE IS THE EPIC MASTER. DO NOT QUESTION HIM. EVER.

gec05

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 05:04:46 pm »
But I can.

Don't be stupid.

Anyways, I think Maxis has an idea what sort of story they can make. If they can make a story for Spore Hero, then they can do the same for a movie.