Author Topic: Independence - Now With Crappy Pictures!  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Independence - Now With Crappy Pictures!
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »
I'm not giving up on this yet. So instead of relying on a few people to control a bunch of nations, I'm going to rely on a bunch of people to control one nation. This is going to be one of those vote games that I hope more people will participate in. Eventually maybe some extra privileges will be passed on to those people that are more active and actually want to play a greater role. So here's the background:

The Federation has fallen. Overexpansion and mismanagement alienated the colonies, pushing them to eventually secede. The fight has just begun. Communication between systems has always been a government monopoly. Now that independence has been declared there has been silence. Even the merchants have stopped their routes, opting to lay in port until some sort of order has been restored.
There have been no moves made by the Federation's Navy, but the local militia has been mobilized and the defenses are being set up. We are unsure of how much time we have, but hopefully we'll be ready when they arrive...

H- Home
F-Federation Capital
X- Other Federal Colonies
O- Unexplored Systems

Basic Information
Planets
Our system is a rich one, but not very populated. For the most part we were exploited for our resources and taxed heavily. We never saw any of that money spent here unless it had something to do with our production of resources. Which explains why we’ve got our hands on such a surplus of materials. It really is a mystery on why a Small Shipyard was funded by the Federation. Everyone knows that their inner planet Duang is the major ship producer of the Federation. Even so this doesn’t do much good. Without connections to the Federation, the best we can produce are frigates with minimal weapons and defenses. But it’s still something. The Market Center in orbit around Milograd served as the focal point for the storage of all our materials until Federal ships could arrive to cart it away.

Planets
Meela I
Milograd
Meela III    
Meela IV
Meela V
Meela VI
Type
Rock
Terrestrial
Asteroid Belt    
Rock
Ice
Asteroid Belt
Resources    
NR/IM
BM/M
BM/IM
M
IM
BM/NR    
Structures
Lvl 1 NR Refinery, Lvl 1 IM Refinery
Lvl 1 BM Refinery, Lvl 1 M Refinery, Small Shipyard, Market Center, Mass Driver Weapons Platform
Lvl 1 IM Refinery, Lvl 1 BM Refinery
N/A
N/A
N/A
(*N.R.-Natural Resources, I.M.-Inorganic Materials, B.M.-Base Metals, M.-Minerals)

Tech
Mass Driver Tech I
Armor Tech I
Tier I Production

We are currently producing +20 research a month

Frigate Draft
Name: Protector
Class: Frigate (FFG)
Weapons: Mass Driver Tech I
Defensive Systems: N/A
Production Cost: $4,250; 3 months to complete

Military
We have four ships currently under our command, all of which are operated by local militia. In truth though, these are some of the best people we could hope to have. These men and women are the ones that are piloting ships everyday, be it through asteroid fields or in between planets. Those high class Federation people won’t know what hit them.
Three of the ships are frigates that served as the local protection, while the fourth is a Federal cruiser that was seized in port. We don’t have the capacity to make more of these (we would need a larger shipyard for that) but we can man it and use it to the best of it’s abilities.
Revolution Protector Class Frigate: +1 Mass Driver
Romanov Protector Class Frigate: +1 Mass Driver
The Colony Protector Class Frigate: +1 Mass Driver
Sol Federal Cruiser: +1 Mass Driver, +1 Armor

Economy
We have no connections with the outside world whatsoever. That includes trade. Instead we have roughly $30,000 in our budget with a monthly income of $2,000 from our population. A notification will be sent out if that information changes.

We are producing about 10 Research Points per month and have the option of researching one of the following:
- Tier II Production (500 Points)
- Missile Tech I (150)
- Beam Tech I (150)
- Mass Driver Tech II (300)
- Shields Tech I (100)
- Point Defense Tech I (100)
- Armor Tech II (200)

So... What do we do next? Where do we spend our money? What do we research? (If you have any questions see the main thread and the first post. There is a link to the Gaming Steve Wiki which contains all of the data)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:42:27 pm by Josasa »

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Independence - Space Factions Voting Game
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:41 pm »
Get tier two production, Send 2 frigates out on patrols/exploratory missions. Also what else can we do ?
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:09 am »
We can build more orbital structures on any of our planets in system (if there is enough money), we can upgrade current structures, we can build more frigates, etc. Keep in mind though that there are only a certain number of ships we can have in a fleet at one time. Also, it will take a few months for construction to be complete on any structure. The more expensive the longer it takes.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 11:55:28 pm »
Build resources platform thingys on the two asteroids Ice and Rock.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »
Even though only one person suggested things I'm going to keep moving forward. This is an open game where anyone can suggest things.
Month 1
The new colonial government was quick to start sending out orders. They needed to be if we were to beat back the Federation. Meela was a jewel, full of resources on which the Federation had built up a large dependence. So the colonial government decided it was best to spend a large part of their funds on another refinery, this one in the Meela III asteroid belt to produce Base Metals.
We caught a break as well. A panel of Federation engineers and planners had been aboard the captured cruiser, no doubt overseeing the collection and management of resources. Some interrogation and the release of data files from the ship benefitted us greatly. This information centered around the production facilities of the Federation.
All the while the militia ships kept an eye for any traces of Federation activity.

Economy
$32,000-$25,000=$7,000 Total Funds

Ongoing Constructions
Name: Base Metal Refinery Lvl 1 (Meela III)
Cost: $25,000/$25,000
Time: 1/16 Months

The interrogation of the Federal engineers has given us a boost in our research of Tier II production (+100 Research Points, +10 Research Points a Month).

230/500 (+30 a month. Estimated 9 months to complete)

Military
So far the patrols have turned up nothing. At this point it would take some time before the Federation Navy could arrive within time. At the same time military officials and politicians alike have been arguing on how to handle the decision on what to do when the enemy does arrive. The major options are:

A. Attack outright, hoping to catch them off guard.
B. Lure them within range of the defensive platform to rip them apart.
C. Fake loyalty and attack them when they are least expecting it.
D. Ignore them. Perhaps indifference will ward them off.

Domestic
There is a question that has come up in Congress as to how to deal with this war. What should we do?

A. Put the economy into war production, increasing taxes and focusing on the production of weapons.
B. Keep things the way they are.
C. Decrease government interference and allow the people to do as they please.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:45 pm »
A and A.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:58 pm »
A and A but continue to strengthen resource production in the surrounding system.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »
Keep those suggestions coming! Add your two cents! I'm hoping to keep this game as open ended as possible, so if you want to try to do something else altogether, suggest it and maybe it will be possible.
Month 2
It took them a month, but eventually the colonial government gave themselves a name. The United Colonies of Meela, or UCM for short. Along with this came the War Production Bill which kicked up the taxes a large percentage and nationalized several key industries in order to maximize the efficiency of the war effort.
Construction continued throughout the system, as the UCM called for more and more resources. Plans for a new refinery were laid out over the planet Meela I. This was met with some skepticism though. The people liked the idea of increasing the UCM's independence, but they felt that security should come first. Seeing as such the government only invested 50% of their funds into the new construction, paying off for several months of construction while guaranteeing that smaller monthly payments would be paid.

Economy
Taxes increase by 50%. $3,000 is now collected every month.
$10,000-$5,000=$5,000

Ongoing Construction
Cost: $25,000,$25,000
Time: 2/16 Months

Ongoing Construction
Name: Inorganic Materials Refinery Lvl 1 (Meela I)
Cost: $5,000/$25,000
Time: 1/16 Months

Tier II Production Research
260/500 (+30 a month. Estimated 8 months to complete)

Military
After a consensus of the leading advisers, it was agreed that the Federation Navy would be attacked upon sight, giving them no time to react. The crews of the ships were alerted along with the captains. Several strategies are now in the works in order to maximize response time.

Still nothing has shown up on the patrols. The military officials that the earliest we could see the Federation Navy arriving would be in about 2 months. And that's only if the Federation responded as soon as they heard the news. It would take some time to assemble forces although a scouting party wouldn't be unlikely. This buys us time in order to better train our crews to prepare them for the coming battle.

Domestic
The passing of the War Production Bill met some resistance from the people, but a majority of them realized the dire circumstances. At the same time patriotic campaigns have been mobilized planetside in order to increase morale and strengthen the unity of the newly named UCM. It's also hoping to attract more people to the United Colonies Navy (UCN). You can never have enough young bodies willing to fight.

A wealthy patron and revolutionary passed away with no heirs to acquire his claims. According to his will he has donated all of his money to the newly established government. What should be done with this?

A. Accept the money graciously (+$5,000 to the budget)
B. Spend this money on the construction of the IM Refinery over Meela I (+$5,000 to Refinery over Meela I)
C. Use this money to momentarily increase funding of the research of Tier II Production (+60 Research towards Tier II Production)
D. Turn this money over to various charities and health organizations (Increased system happiness, but no money gained)

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 05:55:47 pm »
D. We want to make the people think we are a just government, and good morale is always great for a war. At the same time, take one frigate off patrol and send it to one of the three unexplored planets to our left.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
D. We want to make the people think we are a just government, and good morale is always great for a war. At the same time, take one frigate off patrol and send it to one of the three unexplored planets to our left.

Just a heads up, those circles are entire systems, each with a randomly generated number of planets. It would take roughly 3 months to travel to the closest system.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 11:53:44 pm »
Ill sort out my ideas and throw them in here later.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:35 pm »
Month 3
Against some better judgement, one of the frigates was dispatched to the nearest unexplored system. It would take a little over 3 months to arrive, a few days to complete scans, and another 3 months to return. Round trip is roughly equal to 7 months.
Construction continued on the resources stations, bolstering our production. On Meela III, there was a slight boost in efficiency and the total time of construction was cut down by over 10%. Research continued at a steady rate and the population of the planet mobilized for combat.

Economy
$8,000-$2,000=$6,000

Ongoing Construction
Cost: $25,000/$25,000
Time: 5/16 Months

Ongoing Construction
Name: Inorganic Materials Refinery Lvl 1 (Meela I)
Cost: $7,000/$25,000
Time: 2/16 Months

Tier II Production Research
290/500 (+30 a month. Estimated 7 months to complete)

Military
The Colony left the system while the remaining UCM ships continued patrols.

Intersystem Travel
Ships: The Colony
Time to System: 3 months
Round Trip: 7 months

Domestic
With the donation of the money to various charities, the UCM's approval ratings have increased.

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 01:16:14 pm »
Begin constructing another Frigate at Milograd while starting a civilian militia program on our planets and begin drawing up plans for a draft. If our fleet in space dies, we want to be able to defend the ground.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 04:58:56 pm »
This ain't dead yet! Hopefully these pictures will draw more people into the game.

Battle for Milograd (Part I)

"Sir! Warp eddies detected! The computer is showing 2 distinct signatures, although there could be more." The words of the technician sent a chill down everyone's back. It was the moment they had all been waiting for. And that moment had finally come. Taking in a deep breath Admiral Splalil closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them they were set.

"Alright gentlemen, looks like this is it. Sound the general alarms, warm up the guns, and make sure that Revolution and Romanov know the enemy has arrived. We're going to move in on these ships as soon as they exit, just like the protocol. They may be expecting it, or they may not." With that things on the Sol got hectic. Men and women raced through the halls of the ship as alarms alerted them to get to their battle stations. Several short, encrypted messages were sent out to the frigates, checking to see if they had noticed the signatures, and informing them that it was time to assemble for an attack.

Admiral Spalil was pacing back and forth on the bridge as he watched everything going on. Why did they have to send The Colony away? Why? He thought to himself.

Slowly the three UCM ships moved into a position allowing them to give the Federation a warm welcome.

Here are some basics about the battle.

This is the basic layout the battles will take. The above green spaces show how range is taken into effect. The FG (Frigate) has a range of 2 while the CA (Cruiser) has a range of 3.

Here is where all of the data is collected if you want to look into it deeper. Below is the actual battle layout:

We are blue and they are red.

Sol (CA)
Weapons: +1 Mass Driver
Defenses: +1 Armor
HP: 25/25

Romanov (FG I)
Defenses:
HP: 10/10

Revolution (FG II)
Defenses:

Duang (CA)
Weapons: +2 Beam
Defenses:
HP: 25/25

Kavla (FG)
Defenses:

So how do we handle this commander? Where do we move our ships? Which ones do we focus the fire on? Make sure to check here for the ship information.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: Independence - Now With Crappy Pictures!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »
let sol attack duang
and romanov and revolution should attack kayla
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.