Poll

What do you think of this proposed system?

I like it
I don't like it

Author Topic: An Introduction to the Hybrid System  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: An Introduction to the Hybrid System
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:38 pm »
Well, before this planning didn't matter either.  We were deciding things arcs in advance, plotting out the course of events.  This can make for great stories and I wouldn't undo what we did, but it means that it's not much of a game anymore.  It ended up bad enough that two or three of us were deciding how everything went behind the scenes while everyone else struggled to keep up.

This way, no one knows what's going to happen, we all have to roll with the punches.

It's not a perfect system, but we'll improve it as we go like we do with everything else.  We could complicate things further with rules that allow for strategy to impact the rolls, but then those rules need modifiers to keep things in check, and at a certain point we might as well just play DnD.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:10 pm »
Indeed. Besides, it's always good to try new stuff. I'm excited to see how this turns out! Hopefully it will work, but if it doesn't at least we gave it a try and we can use whatever information we gather to try something else. I'm glad to see you showing an interest in what we're doing here, Raz. Are you going to play with us this time? You know you're always welcome!

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:41 pm »
I'm still not sure that I get this, when exactly we roll, and what triggers a sabotage roll.  But hey, no better way to learn than hands on.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 06:43:28 am »
You can roll the sabotage whenever you want as long as it is a logical place to have your character do an act of sabotage. This was the best solution we could come up with without having to include more rules or math. Just be smart about it and things should be fine. Also remember that there are a limited number of sabotages per team and that everyone on a team draws from the same limited pool.

If you can come up with something better feel free to tell us.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 08:57:15 am »
So basically, when we say: I shoot X in the neck, a dice is thrown to see if I'm successful?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Zolinn

• Zork Emperor
  • In Soviet Russia, Mario Plays You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 09:17:32 am »
Not quite, sabotage would be more along the lines of say... blowing up an important piece of machinery. Also, keep in mind, you aren't required to use the sabotages either. As for shooting or attacking individual players, same rules apply as usual. The only things that are rolled on are the sabotage rolls (to see if they go according to plan or not) and the outcome roll, which more has to do with larger outcomes. For example, if the heroes win or the villain wins.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:20 am »
"Sabotage" isn't really applicable to a lot of RPs, though.

Really you either need more rules or to drop the whole thing altogther, because deciding the outcome on a coin flip is just totally unsatisfying.

Also there's the problem where, if the villain wins, it's usually the end of the word.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 10:31:54 am »
Zolinn's answer is about right. A sabotage isn't your typical "I shoot you and you respond" type of thing. For example, if the heroes (or a hero) are in the generator room of the volcano lair, a player can decide to try to sabotage the generator. You'll have to write your character into such a situation and if you think it is viable you can use a sabotage. Again, given the nature of his this game works, some things are going to be a tad arbitrary but it shouldn't pose too much of a problem. I think Neo said this in IRC at some point, but this type of system would also keep people from continuously one-upping other players and also help ward off some of the tendency for inexperienced players to disallow their characters from failing.

When we test it all out we'll probably find some ways to tweak it. Hopefully we get good feedback from a live test.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 10:47:28 am »
So what would a typical RP post look like in the new system?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 10:54:59 am »
They'll look exactly the same as anything you'd find in the Superpower RP or the Steampunk RP. The game is played nearly the same way. All that has changed is that the outcome of the story will be left up to chance.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 03:59:54 pm »
Except it's not really a game. I agree more with lurk than anyone else.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 07:21:56 pm »
Alrighty, everything seems to be good. I'd wager we have enough bodies for the test game and all feedback can either go in the OOC topic or in this topic. All official modifications and tweaks will be discussed and voted on in this topic though. So hey, let's see what we've got!

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »
I have to say I agree with some of the others.  This is exactly the same as the old system, except the planners write two endings and pick one based on a coin flip.  You brought up several of the old system's problems but fixed none of them.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 12:53:44 pm »
It should be noted that most RPs run for more than one arc, and the main problem was people planning out the entire course of several arcs, not just their own.  You could do a branching tree for every possible scenario in a ten arc course (that's 2046 possible arc endings), but at that point you're running a Xanatos roulette no matter what system you use.

And, to reiterate:
If you can come up with something better feel free to tell us.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 01:02:57 pm »
Essentially it is playing out like a Choose Your Own Adventure now instead of a regular novel.  Many potential endings, with no way of knowing where we'll end up.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net