Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days  (Read 13523 times)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:51 pm »
Just dot this today on the US release and was shocked to see the lack of a thread.

358/2 days: YAY NO CARD BATTLES

This game plays exactly like its famed PS2 counterparts, right down to the character models.  Only difference is that you play as Roxas- Sora's emo counterpart.

The one thing that makes the title a bit unique from KH1 and 2 is the ability system.  It's a grid that gains more slots as you level, but all the abilities are tetris-like pieces.  The better the ability, the bigger the piece.  The moogle shop in-game lets you combine pieces to different forms, etc. etc. to save space.

To anyone who has played a Final Fantasy title on the DS, most of the game looks like that opening sequence.  You know, the one where you forget that the resolution is only 320x240 and wonder how they fit the blu-ray player on the cart?

I'm loving it so far, but then again I even managed to enjoy Chain of Memories.  In any case, it's the best action title I've seen on the DS.  Especially for 3D.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:56:37 pm »
So compared to lets say final fantasy dissidia for the psp what would you rate it

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:23 pm »
You really want to compare Dissidia?

Well, let me put it this way.  In 358/2 days, Sepiroth isn't the only boss worth fighting.

I haven't been able to try multiplayer yet, but I would LOVE to run around as Demyx spamming "Dance water, Dance!"

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »
I meant graphic wise

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:08:21 am »
Wait... you want to compare the DS to the PSP and use graphics as the measuring stick? Are you daft? Have you gone soft in the head? PSP better graphics. Almost always. But you don't play a game like KH for it's graphics. You play for the gameplay and story. From what I've seen of Dissidia is a horrible fighter, and a horrible game. It's all fluff and gimmick, little fun and gameplay.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:38:02 am »
I sort of stopped playing KH after the first one,I really avoided KH2 for awhile and I did'nt even play chain of memories.

But,I might pick this up on the 7th,if I have the money.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:25:27 pm »
Wait... you want to compare the DS to the PSP and use graphics as the measuring stick? Are you daft? Have you gone soft in the head? PSP better graphics. Almost always. But you don't play a game like KH for it's graphics. You play for the gameplay and story. From what I've seen of Dissidia is a horrible fighter, and a horrible game. It's all fluff and gimmick, little fun and gameplay.

Yea because the story line of KH is so deep.

sora: OH NOEZ KARI HAS BEENZ TEH KIDNAPZ
riku: I cant go on...I am darkness BLAH BLAH BLAH
diz: QUANTUM THEORIES IN A 13 YEAR OLD GAME YAHOOO!
sora: I savedz kari from teh evilz darkness that i've killed like 68 tiems...with MAH HARTZ
xansem:heeeeeeey guys lets use nobodies this time but still make the same plot as KH1
sora+riku: YAAAAAAAY
sora: hey every character from final fantasy you guys want to cameo too!?!

thats basically the plot of every KH game out

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 03:02:10 pm »
See, that's why dumb people don't like Kingdom Hearts.  The story is often too complicated for them to understand.

Besides, DiZ was only in KH2 and he died at the end.

This game doesn't even have Sora.  You're fighting FOR the organization as Roxas.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »
and yet I bet the dialogue is the same HEARTS ARE POWER BECAUSE THE DARKNESS MELTS INTO MY SOUL BURNING INTO THE LIGHT OF KINGDOMHEARTS

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »
No, in this one they stop going lost style and actually explain it all.

The whole point is that whenever a Heartless is defeated with a keyblade, all of the hearts of its victims are collected and added to what they call Kingdom Hearts.  The organization is made up of Nobodies, those whose hearts have left their bodies but the rest remain.  They want to capture Kingdom Hearts and use the power to give them back the hearts that they lost.  That's where Roxas enters the picture.  As the Nobody of Sora, he has the power of the keyblade.  The organization is using him to help grow and cultivate Kingdom Hearts by killing Heartless.  The only problem is that because Sora managed to become human again, Roxas has a limited lifespan.  Hence 358 days.  The game is a chronology from the birth of Roxas to where he once again becomes a part of Sora and all of the work the Organization has him do in the meantime.  Not to mention how he tries to bang Xion.

The dialog is pretty well written, not like any other typical jrpg.  Don't expect the wording to be as piss-poor as, say, Kaizer Saihu.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:43:57 pm »
kaizer: that explains EEEEEVEEERYTHING

Still the KH series is like a 5/10 on my fun scale It'd be higher if Sora/Riku/Kairi all went and died in a ditch somewhere...

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »
kaizer: that explains EEEEEVEEERYTHING

As I said.

See, that's why dumb people don't like Kingdom Hearts.  The story is often too complicated for them to understand.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 05:55:44 pm »
The story isnt complicated you're just over complicating it.

1.Girl gets stolen by bad guys
2. Bad guys force good guy to do stuff without even telling him
3. good guy feels all is hopeless upon realizing he screwed up
4. worthless sub characters that do nothing cheer him up
5. EEEEEVEEERYTHING is explained because that's what bad guys do
6. Xemnas: Yo sora bro go kill them heartless so we can power my big heart maker majigga and get onto the stupidly long 700 part boss fight
7. bad guy dies.
8. good guy talks about how he finally understands
9. stuff explodes
10. LAWLS CLIFFHANGER  CRAP

I think I summed up KH2 pretty well, It's actually a very cliche game

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:52:56 pm »
I kinda considered KH's plotline to be kinda campy, yet still managing to be kickass! Like a good Disney movie! :)

But, the universe itself, with all it's philosophical stuff... Now that's a different story! ;)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:49 pm »
You seem to be hooked on the single first motivation and not any of the backstories, other characters, multi-villain complex, etc. that make it what it is.

The plot isn't anywhere near a simple kidnapped love interest.  By the end of KH2 you have

Sora, Mickey & co.
the Resistance
Greywings
Pureblood Heartless
Hollow Bastion Heartless
Organization XIII
Organization Traitors
Riku & DiZ
Namine
Malificent's Henchmen

All with their own separate motives, back stories, etc. and all wishing for control of Kingdom Hearts.  Not to mention the world's individual inhabitants like Hercules, Aladdin, Cloud, etc.