Author Topic: Would "Old" spore have sold more than "New" spore??  (Read 18124 times)

Offline strghtupG

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Would "Old" spore have sold more than "New" spore??
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:01:50 pm »
So do you guys think the "old" spore which was 100% hardcore gamer, had extreme micromanagement, etc have sold more than the current game out now?

Me I think it would have since nearly every game that has good ratings sells like crazy!

I mean halo, gta, mgs4, madden. If it lived up to the hype and became one of the best games of all time than EVERY hardcore pc gamer would have bought it PLUS im sure they wouldnt have made it hard for non hardcore to play

gec05

Re: Would "Old" spore have sold more than "New" spore??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:13:43 pm »
I really don't think it would make a difference.

Maxis isn't the big name titan like it used to be when people were into sim games. The things you've listed such as Halo, GTA, MGS4, Madden. What demographic generally has interest in such cinematic and high-action gameplay like that? Spore would be too much of a game for their brain to handle. So I don't think it would satisfy them, either if the game was uber technical or super cute.

Now if you were to instead mention the target audience of games like Civilization, Starcraft, WoW and such. Maybe things would be different.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 01:19:45 am »
I just wished we had a real life simulator....

The hitting area is also totally weak. it is silly that a 10 pound creature does 5 in damage to a 200 pound creature...

Where you could put a three legged creature into a living world and see how it would survive behave...like a movie.

Of course you could take control of it. perhaps you could earn some time slots where you can control it in a critical moment of your choosing.

More real life calculations...what is there to worry...we have the computer power or we will get it. Look at crysis it is ahead of its time graphic wise so it sells even this day nearly 2 years after release because it is THE game to test your new rig on.

I am not sure that it would have sold much more but I could personally not care ...I just wanted a graphic real life simulator where you could test an infinity of things out. Like moving the sun closer what would the result be? Change their eating habits etc.

Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
I agree with you, Spore-buck.
Spore was a massive Disappointment. I didn't care about how much it would have sold. I only cared about playing a game where I could create an Alien and watch it evolve and Live in a realistic and alien environment. Where I could create a true intergalactic empire of the stars.

I found none of this in the original Spore.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »
The things you've listed such as Halo, GTA, MGS4, Madden. What demographic generally has interest in such cinematic and high-action gameplay like that? Spore would be too much of a game for their brain to handle.

I find that offensive!  :'(
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:53:49 pm »
I just wished we had a real life simulator....

The hitting area is also totally weak. it is silly that a 10 pound creature does 5 in damage to a 200 pound creature...

Where you could put a three legged creature into a living world and see how it would survive behave...like a movie.

Of course you could take control of it. perhaps you could earn some time slots where you can control it in a critical moment of your choosing.

More real life calculations...what is there to worry...we have the computer power or we will get it. Look at crysis it is ahead of its time graphic wise so it sells even this day nearly 2 years after release because it is THE game to test your new rig on.

I am not sure that it would have sold much more but I could personally not care ... I just wanted a graphic real life simulator where you could test an infinity of things out. Like moving the sun closer what would the result be? Change their eating habits etc.

Even the 'old' spore would not have been as good as you the thing you want.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »
But it would've been a lot closer than what we have now.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 04:27:16 pm »
I agree, even if old Spore did have bugs, they would've taken them out by the final release.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:12:19 pm »
I agree, even if old Spore did have bugs, they would've taken them out by the final release.

Like they did with the Spore they released?  They cut a ton out of it, released 2 years after their first projected release date, and it still had a ton of bugs. 

So do you guys think the "old" spore which was 100% hardcore gamer, had extreme micromanagement, etc have sold more than the current game out now?

In the first demo in '05, Will said it was being made for the casual gamer.  I didn't see extreme micromanagement in the demo, nor did I hear him talk about micromanagement.  I did hear him say how he thought Spore '08 had more gameplay than Spore '05

Offline Ghidoran

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Ghidoran's Diablo 3 Fansite
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 05:18:52 pm »
People seem to think the old spore was the game they imagined, a "100% hardcore" game as you said.....Not so. Will Wright has said MANY MANY times that Spore was never going to be complex or hardcore. It would always have been relatively shallow, but great in scope. True, some of the stuff was cut, but Spore never would have been as mindblowing as some people seem to think. Just get over it and enjoy Spore for what it is.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

best spore game http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=926714&topic=43989778

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 05:31:02 am »
People seem to think the old spore was the game they imagined, a "100% hardcore" game as you said.....Not so. Will Wright has said MANY MANY times that Spore was never going to be complex or hardcore. It would always have been relatively shallow, but great in scope. True, some of the stuff was cut, but Spore never would have been as mindblowing as some people seem to think. Just get over it and enjoy Spore for what it is.

No.

We are the customer. We decide what's getting bought and what's not. We are responsible for telling the gaming industry our opinions. In the end it should be in the company's interest to listen to their customers, to maximize their profit.

Also, many of the things that would have made Spore alot more fun does not even need to be too complicated for the casual gamer. Though I find the word casual gamer quite offensive, a game that is totally new in its gameplay is new to hardcore gamers as well and both player types start on the same level. Furthermore, casual gamers does not equal people that are too stupid to play games, they just don't play that often. So a game for casual players should "merely" have a very balanced learning curve, it doesn't need to be too simple to be fun.

Back to the things that could have been changed easily without making the game much more complicated: For instance, why is every single planet(ary system even...) the same? Why is the landscape roughly the same on your homeplanet all the time? Why is not every planet you play on totally different? Why are the events absolutely the same? (Asteroid shower and UFO) And why the hell are the enemy cells in the cell stage always exactly the same? I mean, Spore is a game that features a new technology: Sharing content with other players. Why do I have to wait roughly 10 minutes until I can actually enjoy that feature? Why are the buildings always the same, why don't the parts on buildings (and spaceships as well) have any functions like in creature stage? Why do I have to pay for every single copy of a part though it doesn't even add anything to the stats? Why am I getting punished for trying to create "realistic" creatures?

I could go on and on and on and on... I think you get the idea.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 12:34:58 pm »
I feel like we've had this conversation before, so I'll say what I've probably said before and what has kind of been said already in this thread.

There is no such thing as 'old' spore.  There was the hypothetical game made of a few demo videos and 24.3 metric tons of hype.  I'm not saying that the game we got is perfect, it does have plenty of flaws.  It's constructive to point out things we wish were better, it's not constructive to compare it to an unrealistic ideal we dreamed up.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 01:32:52 pm »
I like Spore, I like Spore a lot and i still play it to this day.

I just don't see how things..the ideas for it got changed so radically.

How did the creature stage go from actual combat with physics to stand and exchange blows MMORPG style.

Spore is fantastic as their is nothing else like it, But from the ideas shown in 05 the game went backwards and kept going backwards. What happened to being a baby? What happened to picking a nest site and guarding it?.

Even in those videos the combat was not what it was now.

Screeble went in and picked off a pink pig, They surrounded him roaring would run in peck at him and back off.

When the scavengers attacked the nest  there was actual movement, It was not what 05 had shown but it looked much like animals fighting then it does now.

Animals actually roamed around, In the space stage the creatures weren't just decorations on a planet, But they actually did things to,

From 05 onward the game went in reverse, it didn't stop with the things we were shown in any of the following years, Nearly everything shown each tome at E3 was not in the final product.

Someday we may yet get a spore closer to the one shown, Ether through expansions or Spore 2.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:34:33 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 01:42:28 pm »
If Spore 2 will come out and it will be good I will probably download it. I think I deserve that after paying for the Spore we have now.

@davidramnero

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 01:53:06 pm »
There is no such thing as 'old' spore.  There was the hypothetical game made of a few demo videos and 24.3 metric tons of hype.  I'm not saying that the game we got is perfect, it does have plenty of flaws.  It's constructive to point out things we wish were better, it's not constructive to compare it to an unrealistic ideal we dreamed up.
Yes there is. Just because it was not scripted is no excuse not to put it into the game. I can't think of one thing that was impossible to realize. Aquatic species? I actually doubt that navigating underwater wouldn't be too hard, sure you have to get used to it first, but if executed right it could turn into a lot of fun. Also, why is there no planet editor? (OK, now there kinda is, but there wasn't in the original game)

Spore is fantastic as their is nothing else like it, But from the ideas shown in 05 the game went backwards and kept going backwards. What happened to being a baby? What happened to picking a nest site and guarding it?.

Even in those videos the combat was not what it was now.

Screeble went in and picked off a pink pig, They surrounded him roaring would run in peck at him and back off.

When the scavengers attacked the nest  there was actual movement, It was not what 05 had shown but it looked much like animals fighting then it does now.

Animals actually roamed around, In the space stage the creatures weren't just decorations on a planet, But they actually did things to,

From 05 onward the game went in reverse, it didn't stop with the things we were shown in any of the following years, Nearly everything shown each tome at E3 was not in the final product.

Someday we may yet get a spore closer to the one shown, Ether through expansions or Spore 2.
That's exactly what I mean. They promised us a cruise ship and we got a raft.

If Spore 2 will come out and it will be good I will probably download it. I think I deserve that after paying for the Spore we have now.
Seriously, 50 (Plus Cute and Creepy), my a**.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense