Author Topic: The Hedgehog Topic  (Read 28134 times)

gec05

Re: The Hedgehog Topic
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 08:24:15 pm »
From a GameSpot Interview:

GS: Why did you decide to make this a downloadable title?

KB: In recent years, we've seen a huge surge of classic game properties making a return in this arena. [Downloadable] games offer players a chance to play terrific games without breaking the bank. It's also a promise to Sonic fans. We're going to deliver a Genesis-era Sonic game as if it were created today that goes to the core of what classic Sonic fans desire. This means [the fan] gets to judge us on our work each step of the way, and we plan on delivering that goal in a big way.

It would appear otherwise dnd.

Now this prospect scares me. Who knows what track of mind the current fans have who are actively giving input on the game. And Grox is right. There may be a need of purely old-fashioned and mild-mannered fans who really know what a Genesis Sonic experience should be like.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:01 pm »
New Super Mario Bros. is still appearing on charts... it's actually pretty amazing.

gec05

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:04 pm »
And dnd, co-op was a horrible experience for a lot of people. Interesting, but horrible for competitive and perfectionist types. But it isn't the focal aspect of the NSMB franchise as a whole. As we pointed out, the DS version is the original and classic, and it had no 4-player co-op.

You seem to be building up a lot of fuss you really shouldn't be.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »
Oh I agree. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was unplayable for me in co-op mode. Definitely fun... but when I wanted to make progress or unlock more levels (for us to play) I had to do it in single player.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2010, 08:35:06 pm »
Eh I liked it... Nothing like jumping on your friends head as he leaps across the lava pit. Killing him and sending you in a super jump in which you miss the small platform and land on the opposite lava pit. Good times.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

gec05

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2010, 08:37:57 pm »
http://forums.sega.com/forumdisplay.php?f=275

Judging from the amount of chatter, this is just like the Spore forums. These people don't know what they want and they can't consolidate their discussions.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »
From a GameSpot Interview:

GS: Why did you decide to make this a downloadable title?

KB: In recent years, we've seen a huge surge of classic game properties making a return in this arena. [Downloadable] games offer players a chance to play terrific games without breaking the bank. It's also a promise to Sonic fans. We're going to deliver a Genesis-era Sonic game as if it were created today that goes to the core of what classic Sonic fans desire. This means [the fan] gets to judge us on our work each step of the way, and we plan on delivering that goal in a big way.

It would appear otherwise dnd.

There's a difference between "Keep doing what you're doing" or "I didn't like xxx" and a detailed marketing plan.  Also, in the official forums there are typically clauses in the terms of use that give SEGA the rights to whatever is posted.  That way, SEGA can view whatever is posted without fear of a lawsuit.  That's how Wizards of the Coast gets away with holding fake card contests on their forums, technically speaking every fan-made card posted on that site is owned by Hasbro to do with as they see fit.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
Sonic Team better not get all smart and try to reinvent the wheel again. :(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2010, 05:51:41 am »
Sonic would be more interesting if they cut the damn attitude.

If I wanted to play a game where the main character is all cool and whatnot I'd play No More Heroes or something. The old 2d sonics I played when i was a kid didn't have all this irrelevant characterisation.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2010, 08:20:32 am »
I think the attitude argument may have gone out the window with "Sega does what Nintendont"... :(

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 08:50:36 am »
i think its just the whole random stuff they cram in.
i bet there is one guy in team sonic that goes 'YKNOW WHAT WOULD BE COOL?!' every time they make a game
and so you get sonic with a sword, sonic as a werewolf, a crapton of retarded friends etc.

but whatever, i dont even like the origonal sonic games. :P

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:30 am »
Not to skip over all that stuff from the last two pages, but... yeah I'm going to do exactly that.

So, Sonic 3 with better graphics, as an episodic download.  Yawn.
I'll pretend you didn't say that so we can continue to be friends, Ink. >:(

Don't get me wrong, the original sonic games back in the day were awesome and the envy of nintendo owners like me.  Maybe it's just that I wasn't following this "project needlemouse" thing at all, but from the hype I thought it had, I was expecting something more original than a retro remake.  But if that's what this was about all along, that's great for the fans.

The difference in my mind between Sonic and Mario is that the Mario franchise has been cranking out new, original and very successful games for a long time and only recently started doing retro games which have also been successful.  On the other hand, I have the impression that pretty much all 3D sonic games have been a general dissapointment, which may be in part why people want a retro game so much.  I'm not the biggest sonic fan and I may be getting some of this wrong, but that's my two cents.

Also, I don't buy DLC games that often.  Again, that's just me.
Probably not a Goat, either.

gec05

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 04:32:25 pm »
Well of course Nintendo has always been cranking out good games for Mario nearly all of the time. But it's much more significant when a seemingly dead and exhausted franchise gets a much needed and much improved installment.

It's still too early to judge, but when a game can take a huge leap at reviving the franchise, it's definitely worth more to get excited about than a game that is consistently good. And that is true progress. Kinda like the prodigal son.

But we'll wait and see.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:37:31 pm by Gec »

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »
In my opinion nothing really kills the sonic franchise like story. Sonic can come up with good gameplay ideas when it makes a 3d game (of course a number of them were pretty crummy) so i'm not entirely sure what the big deal in making a 2d game outside the odd idea that the game will be less likely to fail. Also as far as characters go I don't really detest them but and I would have liked to atleast have tails and knucles playable in Sonic IV like it was in sonic 3. Like I said story is what kills sonic, I think the game should have the minimal amount of story elements again like in sonic 3 where we were given a simple goal and left to move towards it with no major story interruptions till the very end and I'm including dialogue so they don' say anything stupid. Aside from the lack of originality I'm still happy about going back to sonic 3 or sonic 1 since only sonic is playable. As long as they don' add anything  out there and try to make some sense with whatever plot they are going for I'm happy.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2010, 04:30:18 pm »
Well of course Nintendo has always been cranking out good games for Mario nearly all of the time. But it's much more significant when a seemingly dead and exhausted franchise gets a much needed and much improved installment.

It's still too early to judge, but when a game can take a huge leap at reviving the franchise, it's definitely worth more to get excited about than a game that is consistently good. And that is true progress. Kinda like the prodigal son.

But we'll wait and see.

That's just it, I don't see how a slightly improved Sonic 3 with better graphics is a huge leap forward for the franchise.  But like you said, it's too early to call.
Probably not a Goat, either.