Author Topic: The Hedgehog Topic  (Read 24140 times)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Re: The Hedgehog Topic
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »
Hay do you all have any ideas how to capitalized on the speed factor in new interesting ways?

That's what Sonic Team asked.  That's why we hate Sonic Team.

Go back to the old formula, maybe add a different kind of shield or two, and use the dark atmosphere of SatAm.  That's all I ask.

gec05

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 07:50:52 pm »
I think they've learned not to deal with Shadow too much from now on.

Also too, most people misunderstand the approach of how you play traditional Sonic games. You're not expected to find every ring, defeat every robot, and explore every nook and cranny. You're expected to find an orchestrated path to reaching the goal in the most fastest and efficient way. So just as most of you have pointed out, it's a complex arcade/action game not meant to be spent hours with.

Based on those merits, that is what Sonic games are about. That sort of play style certainly is not going to appeal to everyone, which is why SEGA tried to make Sonic versatile. Which they failed at doing. And even if they get it right, people criticize how much it deviates from a traditional Sonic game. That may be the reason why SEGA was lost on how to broaden Sonic's appeal. I think it's only fair SEGA was trying to make him as versatile as Mario, though Mario always tends to overshadow him.

That's the elusive nature of consumer satisfaction for SEGA I guess.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »
Also, what the heck is SatAm?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »
SatAM

Sat - Saturday
AM - As in, "not PM". In the morning

It basically means "Saturday morning cartoons".

gec05

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 08:16:31 pm »
SatAM is short for Saturday Morning. People keep using that term inappropriately referring specifically to the Sonic cartoon series though. But any show that aired on Saturday mornings can be considered a SatAM show.

The TV Series of Sonic was actually an Americanized version of the games. The characters like princess Sally, Antoine, Bunnie, and Rotor are actually US made and were never considered to be put in any games by the Japanese. But they are very popular in the comic book series and are still active characters in the comic book series to this day.

I actually prefer that sort of Sonic canon to be in the games than the real world one they portrayed in the Sonic Adventure games.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:18:13 pm by Gec »

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 08:23:56 pm »
SatAm is used to describe the good version of the show "adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog", since there were two with the same name.  The first show is completely horrible, with crappy low budget animation, ear-grinding voices, a lack of any physics or common sense, the whole nine yards.  It was like [insert anime here] meets Peewee's Playhouse.  SatAm was good.  Flat out good.  It had fleshed out characters, an actual plot, a menacing, post-apocalyptic background, and Eggman was actually dark, brooding, and downright creepy.  Many people hate the last episode, but because it was too good.  It was the greatest cliffhanger I've ever seen in which Eggman is actually dead and one of his henchmen say "But now it's my turn" as they fade to black only to see the red glow of the eyes of a mysterious new threat.  End of show.  CANCELLED.

Anyways, the point is that SatAm was not only a sufferable sonic story, it was deep, complex, interesting, and managed to keep me interested even now.  Throwing it away was, in my opinion, the biggest mistake SEGA ever did.

If you wan't to know more, just look up the review ThatGuy did.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Grrr...

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 06:48:46 am »
Hay do you all have any ideas how to capitalized on the speed factor in new interesting ways?

Go back to the old formula, maybe add a different kind of shield or two, and use the dark atmosphere of SatAm.  That's all I ask.

But they are not capitalizing on the speed factor. In fact what i have heard is that parts that where most fun in the most resent game was the speed. When you where taking out of the speed the game suffered.

Not you do not have to bombarded with action all the time to get a sense of speed ether. Is more about how one perceives speed. Bullet time like effect for example still gives you a sense that your moving fast even though is just everyone else moving slowly. A lot of things like that can be used and what i am asking is what ideas for capitalizing on sonic speed you all have. Gec hit the nail on the head i think when it comes to level design. That is more about finding a fast way and stylish to traverse the level then is about finding every little hidden secret or collecting every little ring.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

gec05

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 09:05:13 am »
T-they killed Eggman??!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Excerpt from unaired season 3 plot:

Robotnik was not killed on Doomsday, rather he has become trapped within the void as Naugus' prisoner.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 10:23:25 am »
But it's unaired :'(
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 10:25:01 am »
That's why people thought he was dead, because it was canceled.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 10:27:56 am »
Why do all the awesome shows die young?
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 10:28:28 am »

But they are not capitalizing on the speed factor. In fact what i have heard is that parts that where most fun in the most resent game was the speed. When you where taking out of the speed the game suffered.

Not you do not have to bombarded with action all the time to get a sense of speed ether. Is more about how one perceives speed. Bullet time like effect for example still gives you a sense that your moving fast even though is just everyone else moving slowly. A lot of things like that can be used and what i am asking is what ideas for capitalizing on sonic speed you all have. Gec hit the nail on the head i think when it comes to level design. That is more about finding a fast way and stylish to traverse the level then is about finding every little hidden secret or collecting every little ring.

I think they just need to bring the games up to date with what people expect from a modern game. Developers aren't really expected or allowed to use cheap tricks to trip a player up (Like having an enemy come out of nowhere while you are running toward a cliff, which no-one could realistically be expected to react to).

This, I think means inventing some sort of system whereby people can get an early warning of what is coming up ahead, so they can react in time.

I also think they need to avoid the absurd quick time event style play which amoutn to watching a five minute long movie of Sonic running and occasionally pressing shoulder buttons to make him dodge.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

gec05

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »
http://kotaku.com/5449238/surprise-sonic-is-the-only-playable-character-in-project-needlemouse

So it's official, project needlemouse will be free of Sonic's annoying friends. And hopefully they will have little supporting roles in the story.

Unleashed did pretty good, having only Tails and Amy. But that fairy thing Chip was just a culmination of annoying. Hopefully we'll nothing of him.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:40 pm »
Don't forget the whole werewolf thing. That sucked.

And as someone who hasn't played the game I can say that with certainty.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:38 pm »

I think they just need to bring the games up to date with what people expect from a modern game. Developers aren't really expected or allowed to use cheap tricks to trip a player up (Like having an enemy come out of nowhere while you are running toward a cliff, which no-one could realistically be expected to react to).

This, I think means inventing some sort of system whereby people can get an early warning of what is coming up ahead, so they can react in time.

I also think they need to avoid the absurd quick time event style play which amoutn to watching a five minute long movie of Sonic running and occasionally pressing shoulder buttons to make him dodge.

Good level design and you should not have to relay on early warning keys like that. What you are describing is something that could easly turn in to a quick time event extravagance.

As i see it it would be better if you took a more parkour (to use a modern hip word.) style of game play where you several different options in the way to get form point A to B but is you job as a player to pick the path you think you can manage and that is the quickest for you. Not that parkour is about going form point A to B in the quickest possibly way. Is often more about flow and style. But both these aspects could also be added i think. Special rewards for graceful completion? Multiple ways to score on a level? Would make it both old school, modern and give it replay value.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)