Author Topic: Starting a Band  (Read 16194 times)

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a Band
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 12:09:01 am »
First time i tried that i got 6/10 :p but because it was quiet because of the mic tbh, Once they heard it in person they said 8 hehe.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »
It is true that standing up also helps, but the difference is usually negligible unless you're playing yourself back at four times your original volume.  But hey, the more accuracy the better!

So tell me, what'd the rest say when you asked them about how you sounded?

My friends think I'm a good singer, better than most, at least. I dunno, I think everybody can sing, but people don't try hard enough. Now, it's down to actually choosing a song. Should we all recommend one, and then vote? Or have everybody write five songs down, pass it around and have everybody mark off a song they don't like, and then vote? Does the bass players vote count as half a vote? One third of a vote? So many questions!

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 07:23:48 pm »
SL, I was talking to cow.  Why I said REST OF THE BAND.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:33 pm »
lol, im talking to cow aswell. Cow Just make sure every one is happy and Lead and You can play/sing it, Also dont get a cold 2 days before you first show/gig. hehe
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 01:12:10 am »
My friends think I'm a good singer, better than most, at least. I dunno, I think everybody can sing, but people don't try hard enough. Now, it's down to actually choosing a song. Should we all recommend one, and then vote? Or have everybody write five songs down, pass it around and have everybody mark off a song they don't like, and then vote? Does the bass players vote count as half a vote? One third of a vote? So many questions!
Bass Player gets full vote, no powerplays in a band you should all be equal. Your voting system is good.
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »
Bass Player gets full vote, no powerplays in a band you should all be equal. Your voting system is good.

Actually, the bass player thing was a bit of joke... They mixed out Jason Newstead on some Metallica songs. They were always being dicks to him, so he left the band. Our bass player doesn't even play yet, so I gotta get him to practice, easy as bass can be.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 10:05:09 am »
ugh he doesnt play ?? and ugh how long do you have ?

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »
ugh he doesnt play ?? and ugh how long do you have ?

6-8 weeks. We'll make him practice until his fingers are broken, though.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 07:59:13 am »
Oh thats ok, I have till christmas ish but we need a bassist first though soooo. If we get one Xmas it is if not then probably later.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
Ok, so our bass player left, so I might just take up playing bass if I can borrow one from our guitarists. One other dilemma: My voice  is too deep for fast thrash metal (i.e. early Hetfield). I read that it's more of a pissed off whisper than actually singing, but I dunno. Maybe I'm just too manly.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 07:35:33 am »
You can never be too manly.

Don't try to imitate other bands, try to make your music your own.  If you prefer singing in a different octave, sing in a different octave.  Chances are, a lot of people will enjoy a change.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 11:58:45 pm »
Thats how i play, Seeing with my british accent. Half of american rock and punk rock fail with my accent, So i sing it in a different octave and differently so it works. BUT most of the time we just write our own stuff.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 03:35:43 pm »
A lot of the time, you can't hear the accent when people sing. Look at Bono. You can just barely pick out his accent when he sings.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 08:37:33 am »
Lol No matter how hard i try, i sound to English. Seriously you know Americans have Baby in there song every 10 seconds, it sounds wrong if a brit sings it :P

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 06:28:41 pm »
you know Americans have Baby in there song every 10 seconds

You must be thinking of African Americans.  See, I hate that too and I'm American.  Not trying to be racist, but I don't think I've ever heard a white guy sing "baby" in a song written in the last twenty years.