Author Topic: Starting a Band  (Read 16177 times)

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
Starting a Band
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:04:11 pm »
OK, so me and my buds are getting together to start a band. Somehow, I got stuck being the singer. I'm pretty decent, but I could be better (e.g. I need help with volume, tone while "growling", etc). I need advice!

P.S. We're doing metal like Metallica, etc. I want to sound more like James Hetfield and less like Bob Dylan.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a Band
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:51:31 am »
What do you need advice on?
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:59 am »
Drink booze, smoke tobacco and scream all the time.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »
What do you need advice on?

Well, organizing the group is a pain, especially at high school. We've filled out the roster, and I'm the weakest link. So, yeah, I need organizational help, plus singing advice.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:28:33 pm »
Singing advice, such as it is - practice. Sing along to the sort of songs with the right vocal styles, and you'll get better. For practical singing advice there is always the internet but you have to practice to make that advice stick.

You should be singing at least three times a week (though try to give yourself breaks of a day or so every now and again to let your vocal chords recover). Drink plenty of liquids whilst you're singing, and know when to stop. Wrecking your throat is really bad news.

Organisational help: get together to practice at least once a week and do it at the same time in the same place. No excuses. If you can make practice a regular thing, you will all start getting better and it will become part of your routine. If you can practice more often, that's even better. Try to convince everyone else to practice on their own in the meantime, but don't nag or be pushy - not all musicians are dedicated. After a couple of months you'll be able to see who's not pulling their weight.

Establish who the front-man is before you start. If you are the lead vocalist, it's probably you, but you need to assert that dominance on stage. This doesn't mean you will lead the band in practice, but if the band doesn't know who its leader is then you're asking for trouble later on.

Set yourself a goal. Book a gig for a couple of months in the future, and let everyone know you're doing it. That way, you can't pull out and you have something to motivate you to practising and trying harder.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:30:09 pm by Daxx »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
I want to sound more like James Hetfield and less like Bob Dylan.

you're just 14, i remember having a really ***** voice as a kid, then suddenly i get a voice that makes it so that if i inhale a helium balloon, it goes back to normal, not squeaky.

Don't remember when i got a darker voice, but I'm sure in time you'll probably get a darker voice.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:21:06 pm »
Always thought about starting a band of my own, just never had the time nor the people.  Good luck with your endeavor!

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 04:39:19 pm »
We know we're planning to preform "One" in November for the School Talent Show. It's weird, I can sing somewhere between baritone and tenor, but when I try to sound pissed off and really agressive (i.e James Hetfield's vocal style) it shoots up to a light voice that sounds like early Hetfield. I can barely maintain notes, due to that sound being out of my range, but it sounds wrong to sing it lower. It's just strange. I'll just practice, I guess.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:59:15 pm »
One U2, One Metallica, or One Simple Plan?  The title seems to be used a lot.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »
One U2, One Metallica, or One Simple Plan?  The title seems to be used a lot.

Metallica. We all like them, and it fits my vocal style. I'm no Bono.

Anyway, I watched some live performances of One, and it's sung clean in most instances. That I can do fairly well.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 01:14:26 am »
Well just make it sound alright, if all else fails rely on good frontman skills, Basically what i do in Dead on Arrival  ( punk, Rock band) Im vocals but we write our own material so its easier IMO as you can sing it how you like. But let me listen to one and ill get some tips for you dude.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 05:49:53 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgGTTtR0kc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgGTTtR0kc</a>

I just realized how may solos are in this. My people might not be able to play it. We, instead, might play this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-KjkdDozQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-KjkdDozQ</a>

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 08:45:48 am »

you're just 14, i remember having a really ***** voice as a kid, then suddenly i get a voice that makes it so that if i inhale a helium balloon, it goes back to normal, not squeaky.

Don't remember when i got a darker voice, but I'm sure in time you'll probably get a darker voice.

Congratulations! You have discovered puberty!
@davidramnero

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 09:50:47 am »

Congratulations! You have discovered puberty!

Heh heh... That was pretty funny. But really, I already have voice deeper than a lot of fully-grown men, I just can't use it when I sing metal. This helps for songs like "Creeping Death" or "For Whom The Bell Tolls", though.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 11:37:57 pm »
Hmm, I think either choice would work well, IF its a talent show you cant rely on frontman-ship. So just sing to your ipod/mp3 when you listen to music thats similar, ( i personally practise with Modern Punk and 80s glam metal, Odd occasion with maiden) Ones solo is pretty hard i remember it took our rhythm Guitarist about a month to learn it, But again it wasnt the only thing he was learning. I would do a proper run through of the song a few times together and record it, Then play it back to see where it all went Tits up. Something is bound to go wrong after all, and if you just cant nail the solo or style, Either write your own piece, or do For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1