Author Topic: Isometric World - Planning  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Isometric World - Planning
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:44 am »

I have been testing out diffrent games and I have been disappointed that either it can't be modded or modding is very difficult. However after playing around with Sim Safari I have been enjoyed the old school "isometric" look. So i tired taking screenshots and extracting units and buildings to see how they would look on an isometric grid.

AOE was hardest to extract not only because of the background but it was a whole other perspective. Sim City Societies was just as hard. Sim Safari was better perspective but getting out any of the units was a pain due to the patchy background.

Zoo Tycoon 2 had the perspective bit off however with tundra terrain was was able to extract units little easier. Then Spore was by far the easiest to get out creatures by going into the editor and taking a picture of it with transparent black background. however vehicles and buildings do not have that feature. :(

Which leads me to the old fashioned hand drawing. My perspective was a bit off but i was able to have a clean image that looked just the way I want it (or at least close enough). Thus I might do a game with the old school isometric look. However this means its super time intensive since everything has to be made from scratch.

I am not sure what do do. Has anyone done isometric drawings before? If so how did it go?

Feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:54:35 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Isometric World - Planning
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:00 am »
For your isometeric world. give AOE2 a shot, Its more isometeric than 3 and probably easier to get the images from aswell.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Re: Isometric World - Planning
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:05:46 am »
Well usually the best way to keep it all in perspective is to model every square not as a square but as a cube.  In this way, you have height references, angles, and the like regulated for each image, making it much easier.