Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Inglourious Basterds
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:43:00 am »
I've gotta say, I was surprised by how good this movie was.  I walked in expecting the usual Tarantino blood fest, and what I got was a well told story full of tension where the action, while intense, was few and far between.

When making a movie in this setting it is easy to use a cliche Nazi for the villain, some heartless officer who treats Hitler like a god and Jews like the devil.  There are a couple of Nazis like this in the film, but they are henchmen and sycophants, playing second fiddle to Colonel Hans Landa, the Jew Hunter.  This man does not hate the Jews, in one memorable scene he even exposits that they do not deserve to be treated as they are.  He does, however, love his job of hunting and killing those who remain in hiding.  Partially, this is because it gives him a position of power and respect, but mostly it seems to be because he is, as he says, a natural detective.  He is thrilled by the hunt, and triumphant when he finally takes his prey, and carries it all off with such class and style that he'd be likable if he weren't killing innocents.

And the same goes for many of the characters.  Though none share Landa's style, the Basterds share his thrill of the hunt and joy of the catch from the other side.  While I found this thoroughly enjoyable, others may find issue with the fact that nearly every character is a brutal murderer, the only difference being in who they kill and why.  Landa kills because that is the natural conclusion to his hunt.  The Basterds kill because they are at war and, because they are all Jewish, as a cathartic revenge (though they do seem to enjoy the act itself beyond that).  There are several who kill for revenge or duty or self defense.

What's amazing is that, somehow, this killing does not take center stage.  Instead the focus is on the long, tense moments between the death.  The most prevalent feeling in the movie is one of dread, rising and falling during conversations.  Does he know?  What is he planning?  Will they realize their mistake?  These questions will occur again and again and, while these portions occasionally seem to be dragging, it is all done very well.

This is not to say that the movie is perfect, as I said it does drag at points (though, when I left the theater, I was surprised that two and a half hours had passed, so it clearly does not drag very badly), and some may find the gore objectionable.  Certainly, I got the feeling that there could have been more of the Basterds in the film.  Some of them are not even named by the time it ends, and what characterization they receive is done quickly, though in a very entertaining way (Hugo Stiglitz!).  There are also a lot of subtitles, more than half the movie being in a language other than english.  I didn't find this to be a problem, but others might.

To close, a swift word on the ending.  Do not read the spoiler if you do not want a major point spoiled, and believe me, it's best if you don't see it coming.

Really.

I knew walking in that I was not going to see something historically accurate, but still thought that their plan was doomed to fail from the beginning due to certain events being very firm in history.  I suppose that killing Hitler was the only way to make the end a surprise, and it succeeded magnificently.

tldr:  This is a great movie, go see it this instant.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:14:55 pm by Neoadept »

Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Inglorious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:34:16 pm »
Hugo Stiglitz

Loved, that, scene. Funniest crap ever.

I also love how there are hastily written German names with arrows pointing to them when an important German is shown in the theater. Its a serious movie that doesn't take itself seriously.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:54:04 pm »
I need to see this...  :(
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:58:56 pm »
Damn I accidentally browsed over the Spoiler.
:(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:02:30 pm by Snork »
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:06:02 pm »
Yeah Snork that'd basically ruin it for you.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:24:35 pm »
It did :,(
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:33:41 pm »
Can't say I didn't warn you.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 06:49:59 pm »
Can't say I didn't warn you.

That's what she said.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »
Out.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »
oh man, I loved the crap outta this movie...

as Aldo says at the end, "I think this just might be my masterpiece." I gotta say, with respect to Tarantino, I think he may be right...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:21 pm »
I was a big fan of this. Tarantino has really done well - like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction well. Definitely worth a watch; it had us on the edge of our seats with our fists in our mouths for pretty much the entire thing.

The whole killing Hitler thing really caught me off guard too - I spent pretty much the entire film waiting to see where exactly they'd mess up and ruin the plan, and it turns out that both plans succeed! Also, watch this space for that Jewish dude's expression (when he was shooting Hitler in the face) appearing in reaction pics across the *chans.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:02:19 pm by Daxx »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »
Man, that was a crazy movie.  Crazy in a good sense.  I think the part that surprised me the most was the Bear Jew.

*Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

And then freaking Sylar with a baseball bat.  I really think that guy needs to inflict some kind of head injury in every movie he ever appears in.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 06:23:56 am »
I think personally that you should add spoiler warning in the title.

I personally think that the actors didnt shine too well, they were not bad but not excellent...
I only loved the jew hunter, hes such an opportunist, he only helps the nazis because it gives him power. He was the actual center of the movie.
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 06:41:13 am »
If you don't want spoilers dont mouse over spoilers.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 08:39:04 am »
He means the title of the thread, genius.