Author Topic: The off topic... tropic and other travel stories  (Read 4406 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
The off topic... tropic and other travel stories
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:34:13 pm »
We all quite familiar of course, with the "Bye, I'm leaving for vacation" thread, but not always what exactly happens on said vacations. What travel stories do posters on this board have? Visit any interesting destinations? Land on any far off shores? Conquer any new found civilizations?
No wait...that's probably more tuned for another thread.
Still, I am curious, where have people gone?
What was it like?
and are there any interesting stories or thoughts to go along with it?

I'll share one of mine now:
I visited Orlando once when I was 9. Spent a few days in Disney world, followed by Universal Studios Theme Park. Sure the former was a land of magic, mystery and the diplomacy of Epcot Center, but Universal Studios had the Back to the Future ride. Who didn't want that?
So at the time, Nickelodeon was doing an outdoor game show called "Slime Time Live". On it a group of three contestants would be presented to the viewing audience during commercial breaks and the audience would vote online over who they thought should go in the "Slime Chair". The chair stood there in the sun like a throne, It's purpose made only more obvious by the comically over-sized cannons that surrounded it.
Once one of the contestants reached the chair, a random caller would play an impromptu game of memory and look for a matching pair of cartoon characters. Were they successful, both the caller and the contestant (after being slimed) would receive fabulous prizes of some sort.
I ended up going on this magical show. After winning a few literal "shouting matches" against fellow park goers I ended up in one of the three person groups they put on the show. I ended up in a waiting room filled with video games...which I never really got a chance to play...cause everyone else was playing them...
Each group got asked a personal question, the answer to which would later be announced on air as the contestants were introduced.
For my group, it was "Where in the world would you most like to be, other than here?"
Another person already took my answer of "Pluto" so I instead opted for "Hershey, Pennsylvania"
Let me be clear,
I did not know there was another, possibly competing theme park in Hershey, Pennsylvania
I did not know there was actually a real town filled with people who had regular jobs in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
In fact, except for that they made chocolate there, I did not know much of anything about Hershey, Pennsylvania.
And there could have been a number of reasons the man asking me the question gave me the look he did.
I don't know.
But after giving us all slime time live t-shirts my answer was accepted and used on air.
Anyway, we were the last group to go on of the three groups they'd brought out that day. We spent a while waiting under an open tent in the heat, playing rounds of "Guess who I am?" with the staff and the other contestants.
Finally we were brought out during an episode of Rocket Power and given various cues at which we were supposed to act as crazy as we could.
Since we never actually got the chance to talk, I assume much of our personality was supposed to be communicated by our answers to the earlier question.
I want to remind you that this was Nickelodeon, the guy next to me had said Pluto, the most far off and exotic body in the solar system recognized by mostly any nine year old, and I had said...Well you know what I had said.

Anyway, after a few rounds of going crazy on air, the winner was finally announced. It was not me. Nor was it the Pluto guy actually. It was the 3rd contestant. Unfortunately I forget what geographical location she ended up going with, but I commend her for whatever it was. She and the caller did end up winning a mountain bike.

For myself and the other remaining contestant, we were led away, changed out of our large purple t-shirts and given an issue of Nick Magazine, announcing the coming of two new Nick shows:
Invader Zim and Fairly Odd Parents.
They did not let us keep the T-Shirts.
Also since my older brother and I already had a subscription to nick mag, the issue I'd received as a consolation prize was already waiting for us at home...

We later found a stack of the T-Shirts for sale in the gift shop. Somewhere around $18 I think.

All in all, it was a fun day. My uncle kindly taped the show for us so we do have it somewhere.
I really did enjoy the experience. The people were nice, and I got on television. And I got past my own initial embarrassment once I learned how to laugh about it.

Anyone else have some vacation stories?

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: The off topic... tropic and other travel stories
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:39:41 pm »
This is a single-function website that I approve of.

http://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:46:42 pm »
Tell me Brandon, have you ever been to space? A story about that would certainly start the thread off interestingly.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:51:48 pm »
I think so.

I may have just been having one of my dreams that I get when I have the flu, though.

Hey, this isn't the off-topic topic.

I'm going to bed now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:53:45 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:54:54 pm »
Well, recently I went up to San Francisco with my depressed (clinically) cousin. It was... interesting to say the least. He's on certain medications, and he was a real bother the whole way. The only form of conversation he would start would be a back and forth string of insults. He also has diabetes, and wasn't regulating it, so he was almost dying one night, which scared the hell out of me. The weather in San Francisco is nice, cool and windy, in the summer, so that was a nice change of pace from the dry hot days back home. I went to Alcatraz, and had fun. On the ferry I sat next to two groups of tourists. Some older Japanese men, and some Dutch guys. Two foreign languages at once was pretty interesting to hear, to say the least.
Anyway, we started driving back south from San Fran, and saw my cousins back in San Juan Capistrano, and it was pretty cool. My depressed cousin dragged me to an Italian ice place. Real good food there. Delicious, made with fresh fruit and such things. Got a pineapple one. Then we took the final stretch of the trip back home, and took a final detour through LA and Hollywood. Shoddy place, in real life. Good food though. Anyway, it was a fun trip, would do it again.
Now that I've contributed, *puts on coat and hat and walks out of topic*
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »
In 2007, my family went on a two week trip to the US. We spent 4 days in NYC before heading down to Orlando. We did all the good touristy stuff. I have some great memories. I loved NYC.

So anyway. There was this one time we were in this massive shoe store near Times Square, it may have been a foot locker, anyway, this guy greeted us at the door and asked us where we were from. My mom instantly said "Ireland" and the guy just goes "IRELAND, EH?" It was freaky. Anyway it got worse as maybe three times while we were there a clerk tried to attend to one of us. The guy who greeted us put on this faux-angry expression and yelled "HEY, I GOT THOSE IRISH FOLKS!" It was very strange and embarrassing.

In Orlando, there was this pizza hut in our hotel. One time I was walking in and overheard this conversation.
Some pizza hut woman: So where y'all from?
The Canadian couple she was addressing: Oh! Ontario.
Woman: Oh... Ontario? Is that in London or England?

Later that trip, at the Kennedy Space Center, we were in one of the shuttles. You could just walk this catwalk going in the door and take a look. The back half of the shuttle is empty. Some kid yells "that must be where the astronauts play!"

-_-
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:48:39 am »
Hey I have actually considered making a topic like this a couple of times. To cover the what I did on vacation stuff even post some holiday snaps etc.

Here is some of them.

Visiting the Statue of Liberty

CN Tower.

Me with the Stanley Cup

Meeting Ovi at the Royal Ontario Museum

Helicopter above Niagara falls.

I'll try and post some more later.

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:29:53 am »
Niagra falls look really freaky.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:54:05 pm »

Bike riding in Chicago.

Rather Generic shot of Mount Rushmore.

Crazy Horse Even cooler looking than Mount Rushmore

and will only get cooler this is what it will be like when it's done.

I saw this in my Mashed Potatoes.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:32:35 am »
You saw more on your trip then I've seen and I live here. Great photos.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:38:39 am »
Is the last picture a picture of the Devil's Thumb?  It sure looks like it.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 09:49:42 pm »
More holiday snaps.

At Yellow stone park this was as close as I was willing to get to one of those.

At least there was glass between me and the wolf.

Wow these things get big.

It's cold, rainy, the whole place smells of rotten eggs pretty quickly you feel like after you seen one boiling hot pool of water you seen all of them.

You know something, not as faithful as she used to be.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:57:19 pm »
More shots.

Bryce Canyon.

Wild Deer at Grand canyon.

The canyon it's self.

Zion Canyon needs more love, it's awesome.

I have shown this shot before though.

I have lots and lots of pics of squirrels.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 07:38:02 am »
I can't remember who, but one of my relatives took pictures of the bathroom.  It was weird.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:07 am »
Since I've never been out of the country and have no good stories to tell, I'll simply post a story about a man who does.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/090903/K090306AU.html
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government