Author Topic: James Cameron's Avatar  (Read 32315 times)

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2010, 11:23:23 am »
Simon Pegg Twittered recently:

"I plan to teach my daughter Na'vi. Or Klingon. Her mother prefers Spanish or French, but I'm already paying for the tutoring."
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:15 am »
Oel Na'viti plltxeie.

gec05

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »
This article explains some of the history and technicalities of Pandora, from the designers themselves.

http://io9.com/5460957/the-complete-history-of-pandora-according-to-avatars-designers

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2010, 06:12:37 am »
What was wrong with his acting Janos?

Right.  He's fallen in love with the alien race and their culture, and his boss then tells him they are going to nuke their spiritual homes.  He just sits in his wheelchair pretty emotionless.  That's just one example.

Sam Worthington is pretty.  That's about it and probably the only reason he was picked for the role.  He probably cost less than a higher profile actor as well.

Now if Cameron had cast the guy from Paranormal Activity that would have been hilarious.

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2010, 04:12:33 pm »
Im fairly certain he acts how they want him to.
If James Cameron didn't want him to be doing that, then It wouldn't have been in the movie.
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2010, 07:15:34 am »
This article explains some of the history and technicalities of Pandora, from the designers themselves.

http://io9.com/5460957/the-complete-history-of-pandora-according-to-avatars-designers

I have the perfect theory to justify it all.

Avatar takes place in the Mass Effect universe. It is set after humans found Prothean ruins on mars and reverse engineered mass effect technology but before they found the first mass relay and made contact with the citadel.
'Unobtanium' is Element 0. It is not a room temperature superconductor. The magnetic field of Pandora and its parent gas giant induce electrical currents in the element zero rich mountains of Pandora, which decreases their mass to the point they float.
The Na'vi are an evolutionarily close relative of the Asari. The common ancestor of both the asari and the Na'vi were placed on pandora by a precursor race (probably even before the protheans) as an experiment into the effects of Eezo on a primitive life form. Genetic tinkering caused the Na'vi to have two genders like a sensible species instead of just one, but the Asari evolved to the point they didn't need gross USB hair tentacles to mind-meld back on their own homeworld.
There, explains everything.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2010, 07:49:03 am »
****ing. Win.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2010, 11:53:57 am »
I feel much better now.

Except Bioware come up with more alien aliens, like the hanar and elcor.

Looking through the ME1 Art Book, the 3 background aliens (volus and the above) could have been a lot weirder. Well, the elcor were going to look more humanoid before (one drawing looks suspiciuosly like an Ood) settling on the quadraped look, and the hanar were going to be insectoid, but were changed because they were too similar to the rachni.

In short, I still don't like the Na'vi design. Too human.

Technically the first mass realy was found orbiting Pluto. But is could be set before the First Contact War. Amnd there are some other holes in your theory, like the date.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2010, 12:00:40 pm »
no, no, Avatar takes place in the Alien/Predator universe!

After being kicked off Pandora by Jake and the Na'vi, RDA starts looking for the perfect weapon to retake Pandora. Eventually, through Weyland-Yutani, they learn about the Xenomorphs. A race that can decimate organic species is the perfect weapon to use against Pandora's all-living defenses. If xenomorphs 'accidentally' found their way onto Pandora, they could impregnate/destroy every Pandoran species and completely overtake the moon. This would leave RDA with an excuse to bomb the moon from orbit, and leave nothing between them and the unobtainium. RDA offers a tantalizingly huge amount of money for xenomorph specimens, and this is why, throughout the Alien movies, Weyland-Yutani wants to get their hands on them so much.
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2010, 01:25:53 pm »
Technically the first mass realy was found orbiting Pluto. But is could be set before the First Contact War. Amnd there are some other holes in your theory, like the date.

The date is just a result of the calender being reset at some point for some reason.

As for the pluto thing, it just took them a while to realise Charon was actually a mass relay
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:03 pm »
no, no, Avatar takes place in the Alien/Predator universe!

After being kicked off Pandora by Jake and the Na'vi, RDA starts looking for the perfect weapon to retake Pandora. Eventually, through Weyland-Yutani, they learn about the Xenomorphs. A race that can decimate organic species is the perfect weapon to use against Pandora's all-living defenses. If xenomorphs 'accidentally' found their way onto Pandora, they could impregnate/destroy every Pandoran species and completely overtake the moon. This would leave RDA with an excuse to bomb the moon from orbit, and leave nothing between them and the unobtainium. RDA offers a tantalizingly huge amount of money for xenomorph specimens, and this is why, throughout the Alien movies, Weyland-Yutani wants to get their hands on them so much.

That... that actually makes sense.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2010, 11:14:39 pm »
Im fairly certain he acts how they want him to.
If James Cameron didn't want him to be doing that, then It wouldn't have been in the movie.

Then the blame is shared between Cameron and Worthington.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2010, 05:43:48 am »
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2010, 05:55:54 am »
DD is a Winner!!1!~
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:49 am »
I'd like to see the movie sometime, maybe when it's on DVD.

But I thought this was funny.