Author Topic: James Cameron's Avatar  (Read 32670 times)

Offline Ghidoran

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Ghidoran's Diablo 3 Fansite
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:22:16 am »

Surprised to find no topics about the most hyped movie of 2009.

http://www.avatarmovie.com/

http://www.avatarmoviezone.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

Avatar is a sci-fi epic, reportedly with a $300 million budget, directed by James Cameron. You may know James Cameron from such movies as "Terminator", "Terminator 2: Judgement Day", "Aliens", "The Abyss", "True Lies" and of course "Titanic", which was his last feature film back in 1997, and which went on to gross almost $2 billion, becoming the most successful box office film in history. After twelve years of doing documentaries and developing special 3D technology, James Cameron comes back with "Avatar". Avatar tells the story of a paralyzed ex-marine, Jake Sully, 200 years in the future, who decides to partake in the "Avatar program". Basically, he has to travel to a small moon called Pandora, orbiting an alien planet, where he will take control of a Na'vi "avatar". The Na'vi are the indigenous population of Pandora, and earth scientists have managed to use Na'vi DNA to create replicas that humans can control. Jake goes into the Na'vi avatar, and gets a new body. The Na'vi are ten feet tall, with blue skin, and humans consider them to be at a primitive level, though they are actually far more advanced than they seem.

Jake goes onto Pandora as a Na'vi(because humans cannot breathe Pandoran air), and his job is to help the humans get resources from the planet. However, the encroachment threatens the Na'vi, and they decide to fight back. Jake however, soon falls in love with a Na'vi woman, Neytiri, and he is torn between his duty as a human and his love for the Na'vi and their beautiful culture. The story follows Jake as he sets out to set things straight.

The film has gathered hype for 3 reasons:

1. It's being directed and produced by James Cameron, who is widely considered to be one of the greatest directors of our time. He has yet to make a "bad" movie, and indeed most of his films tend to be, well really awesome.

2. He wrote the script back in 1995 and was going to make the film after Titanic, but the technology wasn't there so he spent the next decade or so developing special 3D stuff to use in Avatar. He has been working on the film all this time, and so people are expecting good stuff. Plus, the film was shown to various directors, including Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Bay and Jon Favreau, and each of them has said that the movie looks fantastic and that the special effects are amazing. Moreover, 24 minutes of footage was shown to various press members and critics, as well as at Comic Con San Diego this past July, and reaction was been extremely positive.
3. The special effects are reputedly mind blowing and revolutionary. The film is 60% CGI and 40% live action, but apparently it’s hard to tell the difference. The film will be shown in IMAX 3D as well, and James Cameron has been trying to turn 3D from just a “pop out at you gimmick”, like in most 3D films, and instead he will use it to immerse the watchers into the film and make it subtle. Jon Favreau has called this film “the future”.
But enough of that, here’s the trailer that came out moments ago:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

Excited? You should be. The film comes out December 18th, 2009. If you went to the official site on Monday, you may have gotten a ticket to see 15 minutes of the film for free in IMAX 3D on Friday, August 21st, which is "Avatar Day".

Photorealistic image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UEbZkrBImcM/So1prFiKAnI/AAAAAAAAAtU/og40vEGF9OY/s1600-h/avatarteeth.JPG

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

best spore game http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=926714&topic=43989778

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:33:32 am »
Looks good.

But in the trailer, while the cgi is fantastic. Did he really spend 10 years developing this?
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:08:02 am »
You're saying James Cameron has never made a bad film? The man who made Titanic?

Also, I read the premise on Wikipedia: AAAAAAAAAHHHH!
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Ghidoran

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Ghidoran's Diablo 3 Fansite
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:28:46 am »
Looks good.

But in the trailer, while the cgi is fantastic. Did he really spend 10 years developing this?

Well......

You're saying James Cameron has never made a bad film? The man who made Titanic?

Also, I read the premise on Wikipedia: AAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Part of the Titanic hate club huh?
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

best spore game http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=926714&topic=43989778

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »
If you make $2 billion in gross take-ins for a movie. It was goddamn successfull.
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »
watching the trailer now. will edit in my thoughts.

My thoughts. can be summed up in one word. Amazing

In a more lengthy description it looks like a very nice very well thought out masterpiece. Its a love story fairly obvious She saves him i presume from the trailer and so on. But it has a very strong Sci-Fi action backdrop which makes it all the better, along with his special effects make this look fit for its hype. And my 1080p monitor makes it look pretty so i'm happy. Im sure as hell going to buy it when it come's out on Dvd/Blu-ray Not sure if ill see it at the cinema as the local ones to me generally show all the mainstream stuff. And i can see this getting blown out if a HSM or something of that sort is released at the same time, But here's hoping if it shows up in a local cinema i will see it defiantly but i doubt it will damn small screen cinemas.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:41:31 pm by sporelord »
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:51:04 pm »
Something just doesn't really grab me about this film. Sorry.

And as 'photorealistic' as those stills look, when they're in motion they still look like CGI and dump uncanny valley spooge all over our faces.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »
he as a point Photo-realistic still's and Photo-realistic motion are different however i did barely notice the difference on my monitor, but i'm running a HD monitor set up on 1080p so maybe that's just me, i think on SD it will still look good but not great.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »
I have to say, I'm watching the Trailer right now and it is BREATHTAKING.
But as Krakow Sam pointed out, the feeling of Uncanny Valley is pretty strong.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:52:51 pm »
I am sorry, but everything I have seen or read on this film leads me to believe it will be James Cameron's biggest failure. Let's hope I am wrong.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 05:51:28 am »
Try telling that to the hundreds of people thinking that this will completely revolutionize 3D films.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:26:51 am »
Yeah but HYPE is a bad bad bad thing, if something is said to be the best thing since the wheel i generally find it is useless and crap. i would like to be surprised this time however.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 07:30:56 am »
True, so very true.
Never Forget GSC Spore.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 07:39:44 am »
I was thinking of that, as i wrote that post perhaps i drew inspiration from past failures.

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 07:54:26 am »
I don't see what's so "ground breaking" about the graphics. they had such graphics in star wars.