Author Topic: Fable III  (Read 19878 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: Fable III
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
Punish me!! Every time I die I WANT to be ruthlessly forced to reload my save from two minutes ago dammit!!!!!!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2010, 10:06:24 pm »
So you want games without saves? Because an easy way to avoid death penalties in most other games is to load a save, which really isn't that different from fable except you accumulate scars. You can't truly lose with multi-saves. Yet in Fable there is only one save, you must live with your choices. Fable has never really been about combat, but story and ridiculous british humor. Losing in Fable could be that you're ultimately a ****ty ruler for instance, not that you died and now must load that save again.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2010, 10:17:49 pm »
Hey maybe Fable 4 will be played with a single button, the start button push it sit back and relax as the game plays itself for you!.

Yes I do want to be forced to reload that save, why? because there's challenge. If I save right before a boss fight in fallout new vega's or something and then I die, I have to redo it, I don't progress until I I beat the boss and unless I do things differently he will kill me again. Understand that even if I reload a save in a game I still have to progress, Maybe aim better, maybe dodge better, maybe level up some more or get some new items. In fable there's no reason to do any of this.

In fable you could theoretically beat the entire game with whatever you start the game with, is it because you play smart? not at all its because you cant die. That new fancy sword? why do you need it?. New armor? to protect you from what? you're immortal!

You aren't actually playing a game in fable, your just following the rails of a set track as if you are watching a movie unfold, but instead instead of watching the main character you get to push a couple buttons and just as you know that James bond cant actually die neither can you.

If Peter M wanted to make a fantasy life sim game I would be all for it. I play the crap out of harvest moon (Which you can still technically lose in!) but then you might as well take the combat out, its just pointless drivel without the threat of death.

Apply Fables 3s mechanic to any other game. What if in Grand theft auto you couldn't die and police couldn't arrest you?. What about Halo, you get knocked on your bum and continue owning no need to take cover, you could actually win with the pistol. How about monster hunter? Dodge roll? a dead button you don't need it? gathering parts for armor? pfft why?. Would call of duty get its ridiculous good reviews if you could take a tank shell to face and immediately get back up and continue going about your business.

Now imagine that each of those games not only had fables feature, but that it wasn't optional and couldn't be removed, would they be as good as they are?. We have God mode cheats for when we want to screw around, But I should get to choose whether I want God mode on or not.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:20:13 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
The thing is, Fable is not about the combat.  It is about a dynamic world, driven by the player's choices.  It is about making your way though an interesting story that you have vested interest in since it is your desicions that got you there, like a choose your own adventure book.  I can understand fully if that's not your bag.  You want straight action, be my guest, Fable's not for you.  But don't come in here and whine at us who enjoy it about how horrible the game is simply because it doesn't cater specifically to your interests.

HALOLZ STORY DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH CHARACTER PROGRESSION AND SO IS ****TY GAME THAT CAN DIE IN A FIRE.

Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2010, 10:51:50 pm »
Actually I love story, that's one of the reasons metal gear is one of my favorite games but metal gear also has combat and stealth portions, both of which you can fail at. If the game isn't about combat then it shouldn't have any, except it is about combat because why else would you have evolving weaponry and co-op that's only really good for fighting alongside each other and magical spells like fireball.

Have you ever heard of other games that have story, and choices..and combat and manage to do them all without dumbing down the game to a toddler level? Oh..I dunno Kotor? mass effect? dragon age? I'm not even a fan of those games but at least they ARE games.

Its funny you mention choose your own adventure books, because you can actually lose at those too.

Its not like I'm hating to hate, Had lionhead removed that stupid feature..or you know, do the reasonable and intelligent thing like make it optional I would've grabbed it in a minute.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 01:09:34 am »
I have recently gotten my roomie to bring his xbox from home and am about 7 hours deep in Fable 3.

Warning: Long post, but I am incredibly passionate about games I love so whatever.

Hey maybe Fable 4 will be played with a single button, the start button push it sit back and relax as the game plays itself for you!.

Yes I do want to be forced to reload that save, why? because there's challenge. If I save right before a boss fight in fallout new vega's or something and then I die, I have to redo it, I don't progress until I I beat the boss and unless I do things differently he will kill me again. Understand that even if I reload a save in a game I still have to progress, Maybe aim better, maybe dodge better, maybe level up some more or get some new items. In fable there's no reason to do any of this.

In fable you could theoretically beat the entire game with whatever you start the game with, is it because you play smart? not at all its because you cant die. That new fancy sword? why do you need it?. New armor? to protect you from what? you're immortal!

You aren't actually playing a game in fable, your just following the rails of a set track as if you are watching a movie unfold, but instead instead of watching the main character you get to push a couple buttons and just as you know that James bond cant actually die neither can you.

If Peter M wanted to make a fantasy life sim game I would be all for it. I play the crap out of harvest moon (Which you can still technically lose in!) but then you might as well take the combat out, its just pointless drivel without the threat of death.

Apply Fables 3s mechanic to any other game. What if in Grand theft auto you couldn't die and police couldn't arrest you?. What about Halo, you get knocked on your bum and continue owning no need to take cover, you could actually win with the pistol. How about monster hunter? Dodge roll? a dead button you don't need it? gathering parts for armor? pfft why?. Would call of duty get its ridiculous good reviews if you could take a tank shell to face and immediately get back up and continue going about your business.

Now imagine that each of those games not only had fables feature, but that it wasn't optional and couldn't be removed, would they be as good as they are?. We have God mode cheats for when we want to screw around, But I should get to choose whether I want God mode on or not.

Well, your first point is just pitiful spite so I will just let that go.

What exactly is the challenge of hitting F5 and F9 a lot? In Fallout New Vegas if a boss kicked my ass I would reload to fight him again and again until i beat him. At least fable cuts out the middle man. In fable there is reason to get better: Get this! It makes the game more fun! Progression in fable adds to the amount of fun you can possibly have. Spell weaving is tight! You know how you get spell weaving? Progression. Sure, you don't HAVE to get it, but the point of playing video games is to have fun, and thats what progression in fable allows you to do. They know what I'm trying to do and they do me the favor of cutting out the load screen between losses. Not that I lose in Fable seeing as its awesomely easy and you're pretty much god.

Third, yeah, you could potentially go through the game like that, but it wouldn't be fun at all, and it would take you forever. Please, if you ever decide to get Fable 3, don't upgrade ANYTHING and come back and tell us how much fun you have or how easy it was. The fun of Fable comes from being about to DO anything without suffering the penalties. There is no, "Oh, you didn't level your skills in the correct order? Too bad guess you can't do this part for another 3 hours as you go back and rebuild sorry!" The game basically says, "Hey, do whatever the **** you want, we dont care; here is a bunch of crap that will allow you to decimate your enemies in the most fun way possible." The new fancy sword? That crap is SWEET! GIMME THAT BABY! That new gun? IT SHOOTS FIRE TOO?! HELL YEAH! That new armor? Oh, right, Fable has no armor because it lets you wear a dam chicken outfit for the entire game if you want. NICE. You don't need to be some superior being who must always feel smart and skillful in order to gain rewards in Fable. Sometimes people just like to sit back and kick ass with a fun story and good humor. Fable facilitates that nicely.

If you're going to use the 'following a set of tracks' argument, you realize that is EVERY GAME EVER MADE RIGHT? What difference does a load screen make? You take this no death thing way to seriously seeing as it detracts nothing from the game at all. And you know what Gorman, if I have a hell of fun time 'pushing a couple of buttons' then guess what? The game did its job of entertaining me. Just because James bond cant die doesn't mean he can't fail. Hell, if my character has some battle scars I would be a bit ticked because its a mark on my in-game self that shows that I sucked.

He didn't make a fantasy life Sim game, nor is it a fantasy life Sim game. The lack of death doesn't turn it into a magical different genre. Sure, you can do the fantasy Sim life scene (decently, i mean its ok...) But the bulk of the game is from melting faces and slicing throats which is not a Sim. How exactly is it pointless if there is still a game that you play around it?

Apply Fable 3's mechanic to any other game. What? Yeah, ok! Lets apply the Sims 3 mechanic to any other game too! I mean, what if you had to take care of Niko Belics Hunger, Sleep, Bladder, Hygiene, Social, and Fun traits in GTA 4?! Dude those Master Chief moodlets are sick, he is so happy his mood bar is filled out bro!

You can't just say "Hey, lets take this game, and its core mechanics, and put it in another game! See how ridiculous that is!? HAHA!" They have different intentions, different game-styles. They are different games so you can't fairly bring features from one into the other since they aren't even trying to accomplish the same thing.

God mode has been chosen for you, deal with it. If this is the reason you don't by this incredibly clever and fun game then you are blind. Its fun, and thats all games need to be.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Actually I love story, that's one of the reasons metal gear is one of my favorite games but metal gear also has combat and stealth portions, both of which you can fail at. If the game isn't about combat then it shouldn't have any, except it is about combat because why else would you have evolving weaponry and co-op that's only really good for fighting alongside each other and magical spells like fireball.

Have you ever heard of other games that have story, and choices..and combat and manage to do them all without dumbing down the game to a toddler level? Oh..I dunno Kotor? mass effect? dragon age? I'm not even a fan of those games but at least they ARE games.

Its funny you mention choose your own adventure books, because you can actually lose at those too.

Its not like I'm hating to hate, Had lionhead removed that stupid feature..or you know, do the reasonable and intelligent thing like make it optional I would've grabbed it in a minute.

Again, metal gear isn't even the same genre as Fable so comparing them is different. You're not a hero in MGS, you're Solid Snake, a clone with a bunch of clone bros.

Yes, have you also heard that all those games you mentioned were made by Bioware? A company that takes a different, more serious tone to the RPG and doesn't keep it light hearted? They are all great and fun games, but I also like my Fable's where I can do anything AND enjoy a good story with meaningful decisions. The game doesn't need to be for Adults Only for it to be fun. The fact a child and a college student can both get enjoyment out of a game without either being hampered doesn't suddenly mean the games isn't good.

You lose when you're stupid maybe. I don't know why you have this obsession with the idea that you HAVE TO FAIL!!! IF THERE IS NO FAILURE, THEN I CANNOT REAFFIRM MY SKILLZZZ!!!!1!!11one!1! I mean, jesus, can't you be ok with just 'huh, so I am sucking, but whatever this crap is tight anyway so I will truck this guy when i get back up and give him a hammer to the face.'

You sure sound like you are hating to hate since you are hating over a feature so insignificant I haven't even noticed it in Fable 3 yet. Not only that, but you are hating over something that is easily the same as a quick-save/quick-load that its ridiculous you are so petty over it. I am in shock that you would disregard an entire franchise that is hilarious and fun simply because there is no penalty for death. Dude, who cares?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fable has a different goal, its about you being a Hero. One of the ONLY Heroes. The game lets you do anything and be anyone without fear of failure because, as a hero, the only failure's you can really make are your decisions (or lack-there of). Thats what the game focuses on, its not going to punish you for not upgrading the wrong stat, it punishes you by what you chose to take action against and who you take action against. It focuses more on the emotions (if you let yourself get into it, if you remain detached when you play games like this then clearly they are not for you) and it pulls at them in some way or another. I mean, in Fable 2 when my dog got shot I was freaking mad as all hell! Over a virtual dog! I feel like thats better than RRRRRAAAAGGGEEEEE caused by frustration over an impossible boss fight simply because i didn't get Strength 7.

The game has combat, but the combat is for your enjoyment. Its a 'do as you please and we will support it' style of combat that is rather unique and fun. I mean, when I can shoot an ice-storm-vortex and then proceed to shoot the enemies as they helplessly spin in the air and get plastered by hail, I have a good time. When i hit 'Y' and find that instead of just shooting, but my character kneels to the ground, waits for a wolf to jump at my throat, and then blast it in the face when it gets to point blank range, I have a good time. When I get to chose whether or not to kill Y or save X or do nothing and just carry on with shooting fools, I have a good time. Fable is good stuff man, I love it.

Stop coming in here spewing hate if you don't intend to be open to discussion. Fable caters to a crowd of people who enjoy a certain type of fun. If you don't then your loss.

Getting so worked up over one feature is over-dramatic in my opinion, and does not warrant you coming in and bombarding our game simply because you don't like the lack of a feature.

Maybe you should just, i dunno, TRY it instead and just play Fable 3? I mean, you must have no personal drive/motivation with your characters if you honestly believe you would just go through this game feeling unaccomplished and not upgrade anything since you dont need to since you cant die. Do the story decisions not effect you? (Then clearly this is NOT your game lol) When i get upgrades I get excited because it means I made my character more powerful and more fun, I don't get excited because now I will be able to escape an encounter with X amount more HP and not die as much.

Anyway, what are some of your guys's coolest flourishes? Mine is when I was using my rifle i shot a guy in the legs, he fell, looked up at my character, and then i shot him in the face. Poor mercenary....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:31:56 am by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
It is about making your way though an interesting story that you have vested interest in since it is your desicions that got you there, like a choose your own adventure book.

What choose your own adventure books have you been playing?

-7-
You have been bitten by the snake. Do you have the amulet of poison resistance? If so, turn to 124. If not...

YOU ARE DEAD. GAME OVER.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:09 am »
I didn't say you couldn't die.  I was refering to the interactive story aspects.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2010, 01:10:07 pm »
I'm not big on story or sidequests. I played Fable 2 just to revel in the world, killing baddies, working at jobs, trading, and courting the ladies.
Story and sidequests are just diversions for more cash or loot to me. I just want a world I can enjoy messing around in for a long time (like hours at a time, seriously).

Can I do this in Fable III?
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2010, 01:23:55 pm »
What exactly is the challenge of hitting F5 and F9 a lot? In Fallout New Vegas if a boss kicked my ass I would reload to fight him again and again until i beat him. At least fable cuts out the middle man. In fable there is reason to get better: Get this! It makes the game more fun! Progression in fable adds to the amount of fun you can possibly have. Spell weaving is tight! You know how you get spell weaving? Progression. Sure, you don't HAVE to get it, but the point of playing video games is to have fun, and thats what progression in fable allows you to do. They know what I'm trying to do and they do me the favor of cutting out the load screen between losses. Not that I lose in Fable seeing as its awesomely easy and you're pretty much god.

I have no idea how you fail to understand the difference, in fallout you run to a boss and whack him until half his health is down, you die due to your stupidity you reload the save before you died and you have to try again, everything before the fight is reset and the boss's health is back to full. In fable you run up to the boss smack him until his health is down and then you die, half a second later you pop back to life on the spot, the boss's health is still halfway down and you continue wailing until he dies, maybe the boss had minions in fallout, they are came back too. In fable they are still dead because the game didn't reset the events. I cant make it any clearer then you can tape down the attack button in fable and beat the game, you cant do that in Fallout, Castlevania or any other game.

Would that be fun? no but neither is pointless combat without the threat of death. You know how Bioshock did the almost the same thing, then you also probably know the game ceased to be scary as soon as you realized your immortality.

Third, yeah, you could potentially go through the game like that, but it wouldn't be fun at all, and it would take you forever. Please, if you ever decide to get Fable 3, don't upgrade ANYTHING and come back and tell us how much fun you have or how easy it was. The fun of Fable comes from being about to DO anything without suffering the penalties. There is no, "Oh, you didn't level your skills in the correct order? Too bad guess you can't do this part for another 3 hours as you go back and rebuild sorry!" The game basically says, "Hey, do whatever the **** you want, we dont care; here is a bunch of crap that will allow you to decimate your enemies in the most fun way possible." The new fancy sword? That crap is SWEET! GIMME THAT BABY! That new gun? IT SHOOTS FIRE TOO?! HELL YEAH! That new armor? Oh, right, Fable has no armor because it lets you wear a dam chicken outfit for the entire game if you want. NICE. You don't need to be some superior being who must always feel smart and skillful in order to gain rewards in Fable. Sometimes people just like to sit back and kick ass with a fun story and good humor. Fable facilitates that nicely.

You know you can do that in pretty much ANY other game to right? Its called easy and very easy mode. They are called difficulty levels, a concept something lion head apparently can not grasp. Those modes are for players that ether want mess around or for people who don't want to have a hard time. I dare you to come up with a good argument as to why Fable shouldn't have difficulty settings and as to why God mode shouldn't be a feature that can be turned on and off.

If you're going to use the 'following a set of tracks' argument, you realize that is EVERY GAME EVER MADE RIGHT? What difference does a load screen make? You take this no death thing way to seriously seeing as it detracts nothing from the game at all. And you know what Gorman, if I have a hell of fun time 'pushing a couple of buttons' then guess what? The game did its job of entertaining me. Just because James bond cant die doesn't mean he can't fail. Hell, if my character has some battle scars I would be a bit ticked because its a mark on my in-game self that shows that I sucked.

You were almost right, but I'm talking about a different set of tracks, without any sort of challenge you are literally going through the motions when playing the game. Instead of pushing buttons to make your character do really cool moves to kill the enemies in your path so you can progress. Instead you are pushing buttons to do awesome moves for..no real reason because the enemies cant kill you and can be killed in the simplest method. Look at it this way, Can you block in fable? Can you dodge roll? if the answer is yes is there any real reason to do ether of them unless you honestly care about a scar on a pixelated person?

He didn't make a fantasy life Sim game, nor is it a fantasy life Sim game. The lack of death doesn't turn it into a magical different genre. Sure, you can do the fantasy Sim life scene (decently, i mean its ok...) But the bulk of the game is from melting faces and slicing throats which is not a Sim. How exactly is it pointless if there is still a game that you play around it?

Without death it SHOULD have been a fantasy life sim because combat is utterly pointless without challenge. Its like playing a game of chess against a few month old baby, sure he is going to move a piece every now and then, but he is never going to beat you so whats the point? The enemies provide an illusion of you doing anything at all, in reality you aren't.

Apply Fable 3's mechanic to any other game. What? Yeah, ok! Lets apply the Sims 3 mechanic to any other game too! I mean, what if you had to take care of Niko Belics Hunger, Sleep, Bladder, Hygiene, Social, and Fun traits in GTA 4?! Dude those Master Chief moodlets are sick, he is so happy his mood bar is filled out bro

You can't just say "Hey, lets take this game, and its core mechanics, and put it in another game! See how ridiculous that is!? HAHA!" They have different intentions, different game-styles. They are different games so you can't fairly bring features from one into the other since they aren't even trying to accomplish the same thing.

Every game I named is an action game like Fable thus the comparison was sound. But here we will go farther, lets go fantasy hack and slash. God of war, dantes inferno, castlevania would they be fun if you couldn't die?

Amusingly enough Fallout vegas has a hardcore mode (Optional of course because that's SMART) where you have to tend to hunger, thirst and and sleep. Most people seem to like it myself included. The people that don't like it don't have to use it because its OPTIONAL!.

God mode has been chosen for you, deal with it. If this is the reason you don't by this incredibly clever and fun game then you are blind. Its fun, and thats all games need to be.

And can you tell me with a straight face that its a good idea to have it turned on for me? By definition a game without challenge or opposition is not a game, its a toy. The sims is a toy and an awesome one at that but its marketed as such. Fable is marketed as an action RPG not a toy.

Again, metal gear isn't even the same genre as Fable so comparing them is different. You're not a hero in MGS, you're Solid Snake, a clone with a bunch of clone bros.

I wasn't comparing the two, that was in response to Martyks post that seemed to make me out as some action junkie.

Yes, have you also heard that all those games you mentioned were made by Bioware? A company that takes a different, more serious tone to the RPG and doesn't keep it light hearted? They are all great and fun games, but I also like my Fable's where I can do anything AND enjoy a good story with meaningful decisions. The game doesn't need to be for Adults Only for it to be fun. The fact a child and a college student can both get enjoyment out of a game without either being hampered doesn't suddenly mean the games isn't good.

The dark tone is irrelevant to the fact that they do story choice and combat, without turning god mode on and they have difficulty modes so that its accessible to anyone. Your adult argument fails flat on its face as Fable is rated M for mature, its FOR ADULTS, that fail aside any game that has a very easy or easy setting can be played by kids in addition to adults.

You lose when you're stupid maybe. I don't know why you have this obsession with the idea that you HAVE TO FAIL!!! IF THERE IS NO FAILURE, THEN I CANNOT REAFFIRM MY SKILLZZZ!!!!1!!11one!1! I mean, jesus, can't you be ok with just 'huh, so I am sucking, but whatever this crap is tight anyway so I will truck this guy when i get back up and give him a hammer to the face.'

Accusations of game skill EPEENS aside, games are meant to take skill to play, whether its tactical, strategy, puzzle solving or twitch and reflex based. Its not my opinion, its what a game is defined as. I don't need to reaffirm my skills, the game poses a challenge for me to beat, unlike schoolwork the challenge is meant to be fun in the same way a jigsaw puzzle or rubics cube is fun. Not everyone can face the same challenges which is why we have difficulty levels.. Have you ever heard the term I beat the game? I'm sure you have as its what any gamer says once they have completed a title. Its called beating a game because the game poses a challenge to beat. The sims can not be beaten because of the way its made and it classify as a toy, not a game. Will Wright himself would agree with this.

You sure sound like you are hating to hate since you are hating over a feature so insignificant I haven't even noticed it in Fable 3 yet. Not only that, but you are hating over something that is easily the same as a quick-save/quick-load that its ridiculous you are so petty over it. I am in shock that you would disregard an entire franchise that is hilarious and fun simply because there is no penalty for death. Dude, who cares?

Its nowhere near the same as saving and loading and the fact that you can not grasp that is truly disturbing, its what makes a game a game. When a ghost catches pacman he loses a life and starts again, he doesn't go wakawakawaka and continues clearing the maze while the ghosts sit tight looking at the pointlessness of their existence.

I played Fable one and I enjoyed it, it didn't have difficulty levels and it wasn't really hard, I died a few times but didn't complain. I acknowledge that I have been playing for a long time and just because some games wont challenge me doesn't mean they wont challenge some in the same way that the few games that default to hard will be too challenging for many. (As a rule every game needs difficulty settings)

I played Fable 2, though some of the features were neat and then the first time I died and popped right back to life as if nothing happened I quit and took the game back, it waseny easy for me because I am a good player. It was easy because you cant lose, you seriously can TRY TO LOSE THE GAME AND YOU CANT, you cant even purposely lose, it will not be a challenge foe anyone.

Ill explain a story to you maybe it will click. Some one on the fable 3 forums was complaining about a particular spell being overpowered, he called it GAMEBREAKING. We have two things to look at here, first off the guy is complaining about a spell because its overpowered and kills the enemy's easily making the game easy. Interesting. one would think that not being able to die would make the game easier and more broken then an OP spell.

Second lets look at the TERM GAME BREAKING. its used in two ways the first is a game breaking glitch. meaning a glitch that prevents you from completing the game. The second and most common is a game breaking weapon, power, character, vehicle what ever. Its a term used to describe something overpowered that suddenly makes the game a breeze to play through. That makes the game broken, so unless we remove fable from gaming and put it in a special little bubble then it is apparent that the game is broken form the start.

Fable has a different goal, its about you being a Hero. One of the ONLY Heroes. The game lets you do anything and be anyone without fear of failure because, as a hero, the only failure's you can really make are your decisions (or lack-there of). Thats what the game focuses on, its not going to punish you for not upgrading the wrong stat, it punishes you by what you chose to take action against and who you take action against. It focuses more on the emotions (if you let yourself get into it, if you remain detached when you play games like this then clearly they are not for you) and it pulls at them in some way or another. I mean, in Fable 2 when my dog got shot I was freaking mad as all hell! Over a virtual dog! I feel like thats better than RRRRRAAAAGGGEEEEE caused by frustration over an impossible boss fight simply because i didn't get Strength 7.

Now your just making pointless rants. You can get attached to a games story and characters without having a permanent god mode..that doesn't even make sense. So apparently if you can die in game then its story sucks and its not immerse at all according to you. You know horror games are supposed to be some of the most immersion of any other genre.

Picture this, you are walking down a dark corridor with the game sounding a heart beat and various moans. Oh no a monster appears behind you and you jump and try to run away. You come to a door the monster at your back you hear it stomping behind you, the door wont open WHACK the monster hits you, you scramble to escape but you cant and your health bar depletes and character falls down and...suddenly..............

BAM he is on his feet again health bar full, the monster continues clawing at you and it depletes again. BAM you pop back up again and suddenly you not only realize how not scary it is since you it cant actually do anything to you but how pointless its existence even is. you calmly walk to where you need to go while the monster claws at you, every now and again you fall down but sure enough you hop back up on your feet as good as new. As you find the door you were looking for you wave good bye to the once scary creature that's still making futile attempts to kill you and you proceed to take the disc out and snap it in half for the piece of crap that it is.

The game has combat, but the combat is for your enjoyment. Its a 'do as you please and we will support it' style of combat that is rather unique and fun. I mean, when I can shoot an ice-storm-vortex and then proceed to shoot the enemies as they helplessly spin in the air and get plastered by hail, I have a good time. When i hit 'Y' and find that instead of just shooting, but my character kneels to the ground, waits for a wolf to jump at my throat, and then blast it in the face when it gets to point blank range, I have a good time. When I get to chose whether or not to kill Y or save X or do nothing and just carry on with shooting fools, I have a good time. Fable is good stuff man, I love it.

So what would the difference be if you simply had to scroll down and click "God mode on"? Because you can do that in lots of games and it lets people screw around in combat without fear. The combat is always there for your enjoyment, every feature of any game ever is there for your enjoyment. Just because you can die doesn't mean its there to annoy you and call you mean names.

Stop coming in here spewing hate if you don't intend to be open to discussion. Fable caters to a crowd of people who enjoy a certain type of fun. If you don't then your loss.

Actually I'm open to discussion and have been, fact of the matter is not one of you, not you or anyone else will be able to come up with a logical argument as to why god mode shouldn't be optional. Yes Fable caters to a certain crowd, they are called  casual gamers, I believe they have their very own console..I think its called the Nintendo wii or something. The problem is you wouldn't know that by looking at the box.

Getting so worked up over one feature is over-dramatic in my opinion, and does not warrant you coming in and bombarding our game simply because you don't like the lack of a feature.

Yeah overreacting mister fanboy in shining armor galloping in ton the topic valiantly  posting a mile long post in defense of the game  ::).

Maybe you should just, i dunno, TRY it instead and just play Fable 3? I mean, you must have no personal drive/motivation with your characters if you honestly believe you would just go through this game feeling unaccomplished and not upgrade anything since you dont need to since you cant die. Do the story decisions not effect you? (Then clearly this is NOT your game lol) When i get upgrades I get excited because it means I made my character more powerful and more fun, I don't get excited because now I will be able to escape an encounter with X amount more HP and not die as much.

I have tried it, I played fable 2 I already know how the permanent god mode makes the game not fun.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2010, 05:37:20 pm »
first off, I like shooters and RPG's, so I dont have a huge bias.
second, i'm only talking about mechanics and combat, not rpg elements, which I enjoy.

being able to die and repeat about a minute or two of gameplay, making smarter moves and getting better, is just more satisfying. fable has the challenge level of lego star wars. its more fun to have a reason to try. yes, its mostly about making your own story, not the actual combat, but thats also why spore is no fun to actualy play.

in the original fable, you would have to repeat a portion of a mission if you died ten time in a row. with that, their was a reason to get headshots and use spells besides superfical ones: it gave you an advantage. their are no advantages to get in fable, because their are no disadvantages.

if I go up against a dark shadow lord (or whatever) with a sword and start hacking away, I will get my ass kicked in most games and fight it agani. you will have to use strategy, or special moves (take mass effect as an example of making an rpg challenging and interesting., I dont need to go into details on that here.) none of that is in fable. 

the combat is all in your head. your prettending to be challenging the forces of evil. they dont even fight back in a meaningfull way
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:39:02 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:00 pm »
Well, and I know this is radical, but challenge yourself. Make up little games - I'm not going to get hit on this bossfight, or I'm going to use only ranged attacks indoors. Boom. Instant difficulty. Challenge without risk, I grant you, but maybe you can deny yourself a Rice Crispy Treat (C) or something.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »
Is it just me, or did we have this exact same argument when Fable 2 came out?

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »
Well, and I know this is radical, but challenge yourself. Make up little games - I'm not going to get hit on this bossfight, or I'm going to use only ranged attacks indoors. Boom. Instant difficulty. Challenge without risk, I grant you, but maybe you can deny yourself a Rice Crispy Treat (C) or something.

umm...
the combat is all in your head. your pretending to be challenging the forces of evil. they don't even fight back in a meaningfull way

and its just unsatisfying that way.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

umm...
the combat is all in your head. your pretending to be challenging the forces of evil. they don't even fight back in a meaningfull way

and its just unsatisfying that way.

I guess. The combat was never challenging in Fable, anyway, but it is sorta fun.