Author Topic: Space Factions - Testing the Waters  (Read 17244 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Space Factions - Testing the Waters
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2009, 02:47:46 pm »
Nicely done Raz, I like the way you fleshed them out. But for the sake of fairness, no one is starting out with ships to keep everyone on a level playing field.

I should be posting up some more info, such as the basic military tech tree which includes weapons, defensive systems, and logistics. Along with this I've been working on more detailed information about Squadrons, although this can probably wait since they won't be coming until later in the game, seeing as they need carriers to play a role in offensive operations.

The different possible space stations, on the other hand, are being worked on right now which include orbital weapons platforms, hangars (for when you have researched squadrons), 3 different sized shipyards (small- FFG, DD; medium-CA, Squadrons; large- BB, CV), trading centers (and possibly stock exchanges/banks. This must be worked on in greater detail), and refineries which specialize in the gathering and processing of specific resources. Now that I think of it, I need to post the basic production chart which is super simplified and general in many aspects. I also have the planet information sheet which I'll be posting soon, giving you the general idea of the simple planet statistics that matter. For now I haven't included corporations and they will probably be coming in at a later date.

Check back soon for more information.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2009, 03:37:11 pm »
It doesn't matter if someone has ships, because we're all on the same side, and I figured that they weren't combat-ready ships. And some side has to have ships, because someone had to find the others. Unless you're playing a State with ships already.

Civics should play a part, like perhaps one State doesn't allow for corporations or something with state property, etc.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2009, 03:44:06 pm »
You're on the same side for now, but like you said they aren't combat ready. That's what I was referring to. At this point I see it as a bunch of old commerce traders traversing the systems conducting simple trades and carrying government officials where they need to go. But at this point no side has and government controlled ships that are combat worthy.

I've been working on civics a bit, but I've put them on the backburner to work more on the tech tree. At this point the government side of this game is pretty open, but lightly limited by the Confederacy. And corporations won't really be worked in until later. At this point, all major trading deals will be conducted by the state governments, and the production of planets will be planned by them as well. People will want to move towards a specific direction in their production, even if one side has an absolute advantage. That's where simple economics comes into play. Specialization will be key and trade will benefit everyone if done correctly. I'll have some stuff up in a few minutes.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2009, 04:18:01 pm »
Information Center #2

Planet Statistics Sheet

Here is the basic layout that I will be using for each of the planets a player controls. It shows the planet name, the basic terrain of the planet (class), and the total population. Along with this it shows the class layout of each planet. The first table is the tax sheet. It's pretty self explanatory. The second table is the production sheet. This is how productive each class is. The two major 'units' that are going to be used in this game are credits and man hours per week.

If you notice, the higher classes provide more taxable money meaning that if you want to have more money in your pocket from the government than you should encourage the growth of the upper classes. But they are not very productive, whereas the lower classes are productive. This should hopefully create a nice balance in the game between production and profit. You can have a high production and sell more products for money, or you can purchase everything with the vast quantities of money. It will be interesting to see how things work out. Hopefully it is balanced.

Production Chart/Production Tech Tree

This is the basic layout of the production chart. Here is some more information:

Tier I
Nothing from Tier I requires prior resources, nor receives bonuses from other products.

Tier II
1 unit of Refined Metals
Requires: 2 units of Base Metals (I)

1 unit of Machinery
Requires: 3 units of Base Metals (I)

1 unit of Agriculture
Requires: 4 units of Minerals (I)

1 unit of Plastics
Requires: 2 units of Natural Resources (I)

Tier III
1 unit of Consumer Goods
Requires: 1 units of Machinery (II) and 2 of the following, 1 units of Base Metals (I), 1 units of Minerals (I), 1 units of Agriculture (I), 1 units of Plastics (I), 1 units of Natural Resources (I)

1 unit of Basic Electronics
Requires: 1 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Base Metals (I), 2 units of Plastics (I)

1 unit of Energy
Requires: 1 units of Machinery (II), 1 units of Refined Metals (II), 1 units of Plastics (II), 2 units of Natural Resources (I)

Tier IV

1 unit of Computers
Requires: 1 units of Basic Electronics (III), 2 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Plastics (II), 2 units of Base Metals (I)

1 unit of Planetary Infrastructure
Requires: 1 units of Energy (III), 2 units of Refined Metals (II), 2 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Plastics (II), 6 units of Inorganic Materials (I)

1 unit of Weapons/Military Tech
Requires: 2 units of Basic Electronics (III), 2 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Plastics (II), 3 units of Refined Metals (II)

Tier V
1 unit of Orbital Infrastructure
Requires: 1 units of Planetary Infrastructure (IV), 1 units of Computers (IV), 2 units of Energy (III), 3 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Plastics (II), 4 units of Refined Metals (II)

1 unit of Artificial Intelligence
Requires: 2 units of Computers (IV), 3 units of Basic Electronics (III), 2 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Plastics (II), 2 units of Base Metals (I)

Tier VI
1 unit of Robotics
Requires: 1 units of Artificial Intelligence (V), 2 units of Computers (IV), 3 units of Energy (III), 3 units of Basic Electronics (III), 4 units of Machinery (II), 2 units of Refined Metals (II)

1 unit of Ships
Requires: 2 units of Artificial Intelligence (V), 3 units of Computers (IV), 1 units of Orbital Infrastructure (IV), 2 units of Weapons/Military Tech (IV), 4 units of Basic Electronics (III), 4 units of Energy (III), 2 units of Plastics (II), 4 units of Machinery (II), 6 units of Refined Metals (II)

These show the different products that can be produced in large quantities. It is assumed that all of these things can be produced by each state or race from the beginning, but the Tiers must be researched before corporations can be founded and the production can increase so that there are enough products to actually conduct trades with.

The Tiers must be researched in sequential order. Once they are researched the state/corporation/nation can then begin mass production of the products, given that they have the required resources. These can then be sold or traded between states/corporations/nations etc.

Military Tech Tree

This is the military tech tree in all its wonder and glory. It is pretty self explanatory. Damage, logistics, and costs are all listed for each of the weapons and defenses. All defenses are the same, but the weapons systems are slightly different. The thing to notice here though is that each research gives you a new 'weapon' to be 'installed' on the ships. Eventually the costs and production requirements for each weapon will be listed as well (the current cost listed is the research value). So it may be more beneficial to use older weapons in certain situations. Some strategy is involved. The weapons and defenses must be researched in the order listed.

The Squadrons section is anything goes, except that Design must be researched first (it actually doesn't have to, but why would you research the upgrades when you can't even construct them?). The things listed are simple upgrades.
Increased Range- CV range x2
Modified Weapons- Weapons receive a 50% damage upgrade
Improved Engines- Squadrons receive a +2 in maneuverability
Compact Design- CV's can carry 1 extra squadron

Here is some additional information about Squadrons:
Squadrons are made up of 5 ships each. They have a high maneuverability and can perform 'hit and run' operations where they are allowed to both attack and then move 1/2 of their spaces when moving is allowed. Whenever one of their ships are lost, that squadron loses 1/5 of their damage points.
Squadrons are different in that they do not have logistic slots and they cannot operate without a carrier (the exception being when there are hangars). Instead is squadron is 'drafted' with only one specific weapon in mind. They do not require the weapons to be purchased and installed like the larger ships.
Fighters have an attack of 1 and bombers and attack of 2.
i.e. Beam Fighters- 1 Fighter= 1 beam attack, 1 squadron of beam fighters= 5 beam attack
i.e. Missile Bombers- 1 Bomber= 2 missile attack, 1 squadron of missile bombers= 10 missile attack

Here is also another chart of the ships which includes logistic slots and some modified stats:

Orbital Infrastructure

Here are the basic structures that can be constructed in the orbit of planets. The Customs Station is required before any other orbital structures can be built. It is the stepping stone for all planet. Every home planet starts off with one of these. There is a limit of 5 structure slots per planet. These include everything except for the weapons platforms, hangars, and the Customs Station. These are considered defensive structures, and there are 5 separate slots that these take up. If you take a look at both this chart and the ships chart, you'll notice that the costs and man hours/week are related. Roughly 1 man hour/week = $20.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:12:22 pm by Josasa »

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2009, 11:33:35 pm »
Im goign to work on a proper canon, player and backstory to rival Razonatairs, But it will be up tommarow in this post not the old one.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2009, 12:45:42 pm »
Overall budget is 50K + home planet taxes, obviously, but is the 50K a constant, or can we accumulate money?

Oh, and the U.N.N.E. is pleased that it doesn't have to deal with crappy Ice worlds in our home system.

+and that we have more room to expand, though, the Yam have more worlds, and just as much. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:50:21 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2009, 05:48:33 am »
i dont know, could i come in later as ambassador of an alien race?
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2009, 06:36:39 am »
Overall budget is 50K + home planet taxes, obviously, but is the 50K a constant, or can we accumulate money?

Oh, and the U.N.N.E. is pleased that it doesn't have to deal with crappy Ice worlds in our home system.

+and that we have more room to expand, though, the Yam have more worlds, and just as much. Oh well.

The 50k is just a starting sum that was accumulated by the governement during the isolation. Think of it as a gift...

i dont know, could i come in later as ambassador of an alien race?

Possibly, depending on how I want this to play out. You are still able to join the Confederacy at any point really. I will do my best to make it so that newcomers are somewhat balanced.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »
I dont know, id rather be in the council to calculate outcome of actions, as an alien race id only serve as a speakerbox for you...

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2009, 04:00:32 pm »
Alright, it is up to you. Just a heads up though, I don't really plan on this going so far as to have an alien race appear. This is just a test and I will probably end it as soon as we work out most of the kinks. After that we can move on towards an actual game which would be set up with a larger map and possibly creating your own race (which may just create more hassle than it's worth). But we'll see how it all works out.

As of this point here is what I'm working on:
-Getting up all of the info that I currently have written down somewhere so that everyone can see. It's getting a bit disorganized by just relying on the forum system and I'm considering moving it to one of the wikipedias that we have setup on this site (either the gamingsteve wiki or the spore wiki). That would probably help organize everything, I just need to find the time to do it.
-Figuring out the costs for weapons and defensive systems. At the same time, how much it will cost installing these weapons. And over all of this, the system for drafting which will be required before the construction of ships can be carried out.
-Working on the other tech trees. I really only have the military and half of the production tech trees done. That leaves out the other half of production, the Internal Affairs tree and the Foreign Affairs tree. But this is on the backburner, because our test game can begin with only the military and half of the production tech tree. This will allow the players to establish their basic economies (which is probably the most important thing to test in this game) and allows them to build up small fleets for possible combat. The other tech trees are basically just bonuses that aren't really required at this point.

So, once I get the information up we can get this game moving. I've already sent out info to the players involved, but this does not mean you are barred from joining. Hopefully by the end of this week we'll have begun the first month of this game.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:11 pm »
im intrigued, but im usually sloppy with these games, and i dont want to ruin it for everyone else, but i am very creative if you want help with everything you can always count on me  ;)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2009, 04:45:17 pm »
Could we know what they do? I already get the shipyards, but what's the point of the trading posts' levels? What's the minimum to build ships to colonize other worlds?

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2009, 07:30:22 pm »
I put some major work into this today, but the Internet has been down to my main computer so I can't get it up. If I get the Internet back tomorrow (hopefully) I should be able to have all of the organized info up within an hour. I've decided that I'm going to place it on the GS wiki because that is much easier to navigate through. Really the only thing I have to work on at this point are the other tech trees but they aren't essential so I won't be focusing on them. Once I get all that stuff up we can finally move forward.

As for your question Raz, it should be answered once all the information is put up.

Information on Gaming Steve Wiki!

Finally! I was able to get all the information up, so here it is. There is also a link on the first post at the top of the page. Should make things a lot easier when looking up specifics. There are just a few things that I have to add (mainly the combat information from the first post on here), but soon that should be finished and then on to the getting this game going.

PM's are going to be sent out (or possibly just posted in the main thread) with detailed information about each of the state's home systems. This basically shows how many planets there are, and what resources they produce. Players will get an updated sheet showing their home planet statistics. From there we can begin the game.

Also, if the players haven't made an introductory post in the Confederacy thread, I suggest they do so soon (Raz has already done this so he's covered). It doesn't have to be much, but no single sentence paragraphs. Just add as much as you can.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:01:39 pm by Josasa »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2009, 09:03:16 pm »
I really don't mean to be picky, but Badger, could you make your planet a little more realistic? I would like to have fun with this, but let's try to be just a bit more serious.

I've sent out the PMs to everyone so hopefully this can get moving. There isn't a deadline as of yet, but it would be nice if everyone could send in their basic PM's to me by sometime next week, since everyone has the weekend.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2009, 09:09:02 pm »
Yeah. Most of what I posted was filler. :P
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.