Author Topic: Space Factions - Testing the Waters  (Read 17229 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Space Factions - Testing the Waters
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »
Independence Voting Game

Information on Gaming Steve Wiki!

I've been messing around with an idea for a new forum game for quite some time. It would be a combination of several different games we already have, such as Ovi's Government Game, the old Government RP, A Tale of Civilizations, and probably a few others that I've forgotten. Basically this will be A Tale of Civilizations in space but with some distinct differences. At this point though I'm just posting to see what kind of interest this thread stirs up and who would be interested in participating.

Outline
Each person (or team depending on the setup) will get one race that begins and a predetermined location in the galaxy. Here the player will be able to customize several different traits their race has of which I'll go into greater detail later. At the same time the player would be able to create their own government description, after choosing several different scales on how their system works. Hopefully this will allow for a wide variety of possibilities while still keeping everything relatively 'fair' in terms of game play.

At the same time, instead of just having one game master managing this entire setup, it would probably be better to have a 'council' watching over everything. This way, it's possible to get things done much faster and splits up the workload which can put a damper on game speed.

Races
Each person will have to fill out a basic setup for their races. Most of the stats won't make too much of a difference, such as height or weight, but they still serve a purpose to help other players picture them in their minds. Pictures are not required but they are welcome. But as mentioned before the appearance of the races won't really matter or affect the game play.

Name: -
Physical Description: -
Traits:*

*Under this section the player would be able to choose from a list of traits (most likely to be made at a later date) which modifies their race. The basic idea here are the racial abilities found in the Galactic Civilizations games. It might very well be set up the same way as well with each person given a certain amount of points at the start and distributing them as they see fit.

Planets
Planets will be 'generated' randomly whenever a race manages to reach another solar system. For simplicities sake, there will only be three major items of attention which are: planets, gas giants, and asteroid fields. Planets are the center of this game, they are home to the populations of each player and are used as the production centers of the empire. Gas giants are important because they are most likely to have moons orbiting their mass which could be used, for all intents in purposes, as planets. Asteroid fields can be seen as smaller planets, capable of hosting smaller populations while likely containing valuable minerals and resources which can be used for production purposes.

Out of all the planets there are 6 major types which have no real significance except for the fact that they are more likely to contain certain minerals or allow for a greater maximum population number. These types include: volcanic, frozen, desert, tropical, terran, and barren. Most of these are self explanatory while terran can be considered a combination of all of these types. The Terran type would be the home world of each of the races involved automatically.

For each planet inhabited there are two ratings given. The first is the maximum population the planet is able to support. This number ranges from 0-10, 0 being only the smallest research teams, while 10 is crawling with more critters than you can count. The second rating given is a production value. This also ranges from 0-10, 0 meaning that nothing is getting done while 10 is an industrial haven that just eats up minerals and resources. This number is usually a combination of the amount of resources found on a planet and the actual production capabilities of the planet.

All of this is subject to change as well as things move forward, yadda yadda yadda.

Government
Here is another area the player would hopefully be able to customize as much as possible. It may end up that each race starts off with a similar government type and eventually works towards whatever system that player prefers, but it all depends. There are several different scales they would have to set. Also, depending on which way this game ends up going (whether it will involve teams or single players, how the player actually effects their race's actions, etc.) in depth knowledge of their government system would have to be a must. At the same time it would have to keep the happiness of their people in careful consideration. Most of this is taken from the civics of Civilization IV.

Government Type: - (There is a wide variety here, including those systems that aren't very popular or even present in human society. They could really be given any name they prefer. Some examples though are: Despotism, Hereditary Rule, Representation, Dictatorship, Universal Suffrage, Technocracy, Confederation, Federation, Corporatism, etc.)

Economy:
{Free Trade} 0-10 {State Property}

Religious Connection:
{Government and Religion Unified} 0-10 {Separation of Church and State}

Workforce:
{Biological} 0-10 {Mechanical}

Individual Freedoms:
{Individuality} 0-10 {Community}

Economy

I would like for this to be as realistic as possible (not really, that would be just plain boring), but I do plan on having a basic setup with corporations popping up every now and then determined by random events and whatnot. This would all depend on the economic setups of the racial governments though, but the basic idea would be that there is some major 'group' that is producing a certain product which can be traded around the galaxy by the player. This could also lead to economic competition between different races which could cause some interesting scenarios. From all of this I've got a rough idea of different categories that will make up the galactic market. These include:
Agricultural Products (food), Consumer Goods (a wide variety of smaller, less important products; population plays a big role in this as does happiness), Basic Resources (you've got to make all of this from something), Refined Metal (seemingly very specific, but this is a crucial material when it comes to industrialization), Electronics (self explanatory; similar to consumer goods only more luxurious and expensive), Planetary Transport (this includes things such as cars, trains, and basic infrastructure for such things), Robotics, Ships (one of the largest and most expensive categories), Deep Space Infrastructure (which includes modules for space stations and such), and A.I./Computers.

There is a possibility of adding more to this or even getting rid of some of the existing ones depending on the situation. Basically these separate the economy into basic pieces which can be fought over in their own separate wars. At the same time each company or corporation would be given a galactic rating depending on their service or quality which helps establish credibility. There is a lot of potential here, but a lot of things need to be ironed out at the same time.

Military
Inevitably there will be conflicts between races. For simplicities sake most, if not all, of this will be settled in space battles under the guise that the victor is then free to choke off the planet while bombarding it at the same time, effectively conquering and controlling it. From this there are two basic areas that can be focused on, the weapons and the ships.

Weapons
The weapons are split into offense and defense. Each of these has three different categories creating an almost rock, paper, scissors feeling. This also comes Galactic Civilizations (mostly).

Offense
-Mass Driver
-Missile
-Beam

Defense
-Armor
-Point Defense
-Shields

Mass Drivers are not very effective against heavy armor, but they are against point defense systems and shields. Missiles are not very effective against point defenses, but they are against armor and shields. Beam weapons are not very effective against shields while they are against armor and point defense systems. That's the basic idea.

Damage System

Weapon
Beam
Mass Driver
Missile
Shields
Armor
Point Defense

This system has been revised, after a little trial and error. From here on out the above system will be the one we use. It is pretty self explanatory. The total attack value will be added up, then the defense systems will be subtracted, with each system being paired as effectively as possible (this only matters when there are multiple defense systems and attacks/attackers, though). Here are several examples.

ex. #1 Beam-5 attacks Shield-1
5-1=4 Points of Damage

ex. #2 Beam-5 attacks Shield-2, Armor-2
5-[2(1)+2(.5)]=2 Points of Damage

ex. #3 Beam-3, Missile-1 attacks Shield-2, Armor-3
Here the shields are matched up to the beam, while the armor is matched up to the missile.
[3-2(1)]+[1-3(.5)]=
1+(-.5)=.5 Points of Damage

ex. #4 Beam-2, Mass Driver-2 attacks Shields-3
[2-2]+[2-1(.5)]=1.5 Points of Damage

Etc. These are some of the more common scenarios that I can think of. It's very basic stuff.

Combat System
(Basically copied from my other thread)

Ships
Frigate (FFG)
Destroyer (DD)
Cruiser (CA)
Battleship (BB)
Carrier (CV)
Fighter Drones (FD)
Bomber Drones (BD)
Beam
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Mass Driver
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Missile
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Shields
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Armor
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Point Defense
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Maneuverability
Range
CV x2
CV x2
Hit Points

The Playing Field
The playing field of this system is a simple grid of squares. Ships are able to move vertically, horizontally and diagonally. Range of a ship is determined by taking the actual range and extending that as far as possible up, down, left and right. Lines are then between these occupied squares. Those squares cut in half do not count as being within range.
ex. Destroyer has a range of 2. The destroyer can hit anything in the surrounding 8 squares along with those squares that are directly 2 spaces away (for a total of 12 squares to hit).

Orders
1) Attack
The ship is ordered to attack another ship. If the ship is not within range the orders are false and cannot be carried out.
ex. Destroyer #2 attack Cruiser #5
2) Move
The ship is ordered to move from one square to another. Two friendly ships cannot occupy the same square.*
ex. Destroyer #2 move left 3 and diagonally 1
3) Hold
No orders are given and the ship neither moves nor attacks.

*If two ships of opposite sides enter the same square whether on purpose or by accident these ships enter a deadlock. These ships cannot carry out move orders and essentially must fight it out until the end. Any fire directed at this square has a 50% chance of hitting the intended target.

4) Ram Them!
The ships must be in a straight line with each other. Here is the equation to determine the amount of damage done:
[(Total Hit Points)*(Position Modifier)] + (Basic Attack) + (Number of Squares Traversed) = Damage
Position modified is determined by a quick rock paper scissors scenario. The attack announces he is ramming. Then he picks a direction (North, South, East, or West) which will determine the way he is facing. The defender does the same. If the ships were to meet where the attack is coming at one of the sides of the ships, then the damage modifier is 75%. If it is head to head the modified is only 25%. If it is head coming to the rear then there is no damage modifier (I think this is what we agreed upon. I'm actually not sure anymore). The strategy here is to hold off on ramming until you are weak. Otherwise it is somewhat of a waste.

The outcome is that the rammer loses 25% of their total health points along with the basic attack from the defending ship. If the rammer is below 25% of its health then it is destroyed. The ship being rammed is then immobilized for 1 turn as it regroups, but it can still fire it's weapons.

5) Boarding
This can be announced whenever there is a deadlock. The equation to determine damage is:
(Current Hit Points of the Attacking Ship)*100 = Attacker #
(Current Hit Points of the Defending Ship)*100 = Defender #
[(Attacker #) * (Attack Value) - (Defender #) * (Attack Value)] or [(Defender #) * (Attack Value) - (Attacker #) * (Attack Value)]=(#/Attack Value)=Survivors
Base attack value is 5.
The defender gets a +1 to attack value.

The survivors health is determined by taking the average of the difference above and the winners health-difference.
ex. CA 23/25 attacks CA 21/25
(23*100)=2300
(21*100)=2100
(2100*6)-(2300*5)=1100/6=183 or just 200 for 2/25 Hit Points
Boarding a ship and winning the battle allows for the victor to actually take control of that ship. But, they must win the overall battle in order for this to occur. If defenders beat back the attackers, then they win, but the attacking ship is destroyed.

Order of Play
1) Attack Phase
All ships that are ordered to attack do so and score hits on enemy ships. If there are no attack orders given then this phase is skipped.
2) Damage and Removal
Damage for each of the hit ships are calculated. Earlier damage is added to the damage done this round. If the damage exceeds the hitpoints of the ship then that ship is considered destroyed and removed from play.
3) Movement Phase
All ships that are moved according to their orders. If there are no move orders given then this phase is skipped.

Once these phases are completed the phases are repeated until a winner is declared.

Technology
Similar to most games, there would be a technology tree here that each race advances however they see fit. Points would be calculated somehow by a combination of a bunch of awesome numbers. You get the idea.

So, this is to test the waters and see what kind of interest it generates. At the same time there is a variety of ways I could take this. I've considered getting rid of the whole race thing at first and just having everyone start off as humans (boring, I know, but it simplifies things for a trial run), or even running mini games with each section (military, economy, already did government, etc.). Another idea I've been toying with though is having everyone working within the same system of government or race, but placing them at various positions. The idea would be to gain the most wealth, power, influence, etc. but the problem is bringing this about. It could include CEOs of corporations, military leaders, politicians, and other important individuals. Just another idea I've had.

So really what do you guys think? Hit me with any comments, concerns, criticisms, ideas, anything you feel the need to say. I'm not accepting any entries at this point or anything of the sort, this is really in a setup stage and isn't ready to be completed just yet. So don't go plastering this thread with applications of races just yet.

But, if you are willing to put in a little time and work through this thing with me, I'm willing to work with those people willing to offer ideas and work together on this thing. This could probably be considered the 'council' when you think about it.

Information Center #2
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:42:58 pm by Josasa »

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Possible New Game - Testing the Waters
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:44:01 am »
I can see this working if its teams of 2-3 as a Council for each Civilization so to speak. More civilized and if some one has to take a break it can still advance. slows down decisions but makes them better. Im willing to play though.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 04:35:05 pm »
I'm willing to play this, but I don't want to have to write long (And I mean LONG.) I can get writer's block very often, etc etc.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:39:46 pm »
It sounds good, and would bring the kind of structure I personally felt the spore RP section was slightly lacking.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:13:26 am »
http://direpress.bin.sh/tools/system.cgi

Just in case you were interested.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:13 am »
Broken link ?
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:05 pm »
Haseri probably meant for the link to be actually searched for, as in, copying and then pasting the link in the search bar. Or just copying and pasting it directly into the address bar.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 01:10:58 am »
Got the text and link the wrong way round.

And that is why you should always 'Preview' your posts.

Offline Mr. President

• Wizard of Wor
  • Obama Delta Hurricane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:54:29 pm »
I'm in. Just set up the entry form format and I'll get a page up.
No, get a label gun and shoot them with labels like "Bad guy #1" "Bad guy #2" Slightly badder guy" "Guy that thinks he is bad but is really good and just confused"

Hopefully a joke.

Beat ya to it opera.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:42:03 pm »
Wow Haseri, that is quite cool and helpful. Thank you a lot!  ;D

Now, for simplicity, I've decided to hold back on using different races. If we do move forward with this, everyone should remember that the first run would be a testing phase, full of trial and error along with some pretty basic setups. Also, the map layout would be 2D and would probably be quite small to limit expansion and increase activity between factions. At the same time, I'd like to hear feedback from the players so as to make this game the best it can possibly be.

Now because we're all going to be humans there will probably be a little backstory or something, catastrophic event separates humanity's colonies, factions develop, blah, blah, blah. Also, the tech system still needs to be developed but it will also be bare bones.

As the game progresses I'm open to suggestions such as new tech ideas, different bonuses, etc. Not all things will be accepted though, they have to make sense. I'll get the basic layout for the faction sheets up in a bit, they may be a bit longer than the regular RPing bios for characters.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:46 pm »
Faction Name
(Replace Above With Name)
Government
Name: (The Official Name of Your Government)
Economy: (Value from 0-10; see first post)
Religious Connection: (Value from 0-10; see first post)
Workforce: (Value from 0-10; 0=Choice of Employment, 10=Assigned/Forced Employment)
Social Liberties: (Value from 0-10; 0=Complete Freedom, 10=No Freedom)

Techs, homesystems, and a map will be coming eventually.

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »
Juxio

Timocratic
Name: Timocratic Government of Juxio (More money= more power in this type)
Economy: 3
Religious: 10
Workforce: 3
Social Liberties: 4

Is that okay?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:22:36 pm by pie »

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:45:28 pm »

Quartil

Dictatorship
Name: The United Republic of Quartil
Economy: 10
Religious Connection: 10
Workforce: 10
Social Liberties: 8
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:33:58 pm »
Beron

Matriarchy
Name: The Grand Matriarchal Empire of Beron
Economy: 10
Religious Connection: 0
Workforce: 10
Social Liberties: 10
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 09:19:03 pm »
Alrighty, nice setup everyone. Don't worry there is still time to set everything up. I've been working on the tech tree and should have it up in a bit. In the meantime I've update the first post with a large section devoted to the military aspect. If possible, I would like to have a mini-game setup with those willing to participate. It would pit them and a few ships against the other players. There is no limit to those that want to play, there can be more than just two people.

The basic idea would follow the combat system mentioned above. Each player would get 2 Frigates (FFG), 1 Destroyer (DD), and 1 Cruiser (CA). The basic stats in the table above would be used. Now, the weapons stats can be different for each class of ship, but I ask that the 2 Frigates (FFG) have the same stats as each other. But this should leave some variety between the different factions.

The 2 Frigates (FFG) get 1 Attack Point to distribute as they please (between Beam, Mass Driver, and Missile). They get no defense points.

The 1 Destroyer (DD) gets 2 Attack Points to distribute as it pleases (between Beam, Mass Driver, and Missile). It gets 1 Defense Point to distribute as it pleases (between Shields, Armor, and Point Defense).

The 1 Cruiser (CA) gets 2 Attack Points to distribute as it pleases (between Beam, Mass Driver, and Missile). It gets 2 Defense Points to distribute as it pleases (between Shields, Armor, and Point Defense).

If you wish to participate in this, say so in this thread and then send me a PM with the stats you wish to have for your ships. It would be wise to keep these a secret so that others that join to not have the advantage of tooling their weapons and defenses to best defeat you.