Author Topic: A Short Story About Giant Monsters  (Read 2851 times)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
A Short Story About Giant Monsters
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:28:01 pm »
(that's the title) enjoy.  ;D

As gears and motors whirred to life for the first time, its creators looked on in awe. Spanning multiple stories, the mech looked like something out of a cheap sci-fi movie. Then again, so did the Monster that attacked Atlanta. Two massive legs provided support for an equally massive body. One of its arms ended in clawed talons, and the other, from the elbow down, sported a massive cannon. The head atop its shoulders held an expressionless face, and extended backwards like a dagger. Christened Robo-1, it was built to save the world.

Massive hangar doors slid open, and Robo-1 stepped into the sunlight. A blinding glare reflected off of its head, and onlookers shielded their eyes. One after another, each foot landed on the pavement, and Robo-1 began walking towards downtown Atlanta with an unnatural gait. The very fact that the hastily-built machine could move inspired hope that the rest of its components would work.

A group of tanks and helicopters trailed behind Robo-1. They had been no threat to the Monster by themselves, but they were ready to provide any support they could. Approaching the towers that formed Atlanta's skyline, the devastation left in the Monster's wake could already be seen. Fires burned through buildings that had been torn apart like paper, and bodies lay in the streets. Shocked survivors ran past the approaching tanks, pleading for help, but Robo-1 continued forward emotionlessly.

All of a sudden, a helicopter over Robo-1's left shoulder exploded into flames and debris. A second spiked projectile, originating from downtown, shot into the air, and another helicopter was destroyed. The explosions washed over Robo-1's chassis, but, as it emerged from the smoke, it's armor was unscathed. The remaining artillery launched a volley of explosive rounds and missiles into the general area of the Monster, and a flurry of spikes were fired in return. By the time Robo-1 had traveled the next three blocks, all of its support vehicles had been destroyed.

Shrugging off an endless barrage of spikes, Robo-1 continued down a final block, before coming face to face with the Monster himself. A prehistoric abomination, the Monster seemed to consist entirely of claws, spikes and fangs. The Monster lowered his reptilian head and bellowed. A pair of spikes shot from the Monster's head towards Robo-1, hitting it in the chest and knocking it backwards. Removing a spike that had embedded itself in its armor, Robo-1 advanced towards the Monster.

The Monster charged forward with the power of a space shuttle launch, exploding towards Robo-1 with enough force to launch into space. Moving one foot back, Robo-1 braced for impact. Time stood still as the Monster and Robo-1 collided. Robo-1 held its ground, but the Monster's strength gradually pushed Robo-1's body backward, cutting deep furrows into the pavement. Pneumatic motors hissed as Robo-1 pushed the Monster back with a single, powerful exertion. Following through on its assault, Robo-1 launched its clawed hand into a masterful uppercut. The Monster, however, had maintained his focus, and jumped backward to avoid the blow.

Springing forward, the Monster clamped his powerful jaws onto Robo-1's arm. He began turning his head, trying to bring Robo-1 to the ground, but neither seemed capable of moving the other. Slowly, painstakingly, Robo-1 began moving its arm to the left of its body. Suddenly, before the Monster had a chance to react, Robo-1 whipped its arm in the other direction, taking his head with it. The explosive force jerked the Monster off of his feet, and sent him careening into the buildings behind him.

As the Monster regained his composure, Robo-1 moved forward, delivering a bone-crushing left hook to the Monster's jaw. After letting out a cry of pain, the Monster lunged forward with surprising ferocity, knocking Robo-1 to the ground. Standing over his oppenent, the Monster brought down a clawed foot onto its chest. Raising his leg again, he delivered another powerful kick. As he raised his leg a third time, Robo-1 grabbed hold of it and pulled, throwing him to the ground.

Both the Monster and Robo-1 rose to their feet, and within seconds the Monster was again tackling Robo-1. This time, however, Robo-1 grabbed the Monster by the shoulder, and with a colossal effort pushed the Monster off-balance. With a downward strike the Monster was knocked onto the ground. Robo-1 stood in silence as the Monster lay motionless. Detecting movement to its right, Robo-1 turned just in time to see a blur of color. Visual sensors were temporarily overloaded with static as the Monster's heavy tail landed a concussive blow on Robo-1's head, temporarily stunning it.

Using this to his advantage, the Monster acted quickly, rising to his feet and head-butting Robo-1 in the chest. The Monster lifted his head into the air and opened his mouth, revealing a collection of massive knife-like teeth. In the time it took the Monster to ready himself for a strike, Robo-1 had recovered and, faster than the Monster could react, grabbed him by the throat.

A small hum of generators grew to a roar, and steam poured out of vents all over Robo-1's body. With an impossibly large effort, Robo-1 lifted the Monster off his feet and hurled him backwards into the air. At the same time, it aimed the cannon that hung in the place of one arm and, for the first time, fired. A massive iron harpoon shot out of the barrel, impaling the airborne Monster. The impact of the harpoon carried the Monster with it, sending him colliding into the building behind him. The Monster hung in the air, pinned to the building by the harpoon running through his chest. He tried to raise his head, managing to hold it in place for a moment, but the Monster's body quickly went limp.

As floor after floor weakened, the building holding up the Monster collapsed downward, taking him down with it. Seconds later, nothing was left except for a smoke-obscured mountain of rubble. Robo-1 moved slowly, walking towards the debris and scanning for signs of life. Digging into the wreckage, Robo-1's hand soon emerged clutching a thick tail. After pulling the rest of his lifeless body from the rubble, it was clear that the Monster was dead.

Clouds had begun to form overhead, and Robo-1, having fulfilled its purpose, finally made its way out of the city. By the time it had returned to the military base where it was created, the sun had almost disappeared below the horizon. And in Atlanta, it began to rain.

(and the picture that inspired the story)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:36:39 pm by operaghost21 »

"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: A Short Story About Giant Monsters
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:20 pm »
like it? hate it? anything?
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:15:16 pm »
EPIC (by my definition, but that doesn't mean the word is law, but I don't care) *claps*

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:18:23 pm »
someone actually read it? yay!  :D

thank you!  :)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »
I read it as well, and I must say, well..yeah technically it is epic. but from my internet focused vocabulary I'll say it was very nice.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:52:27 pm »
Nice :)
Did you make the picture by any chance? It's sweet!
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 06:03:05 pm »
TRULY EPIC!

I especially like the way you described the battle. And for some reason I image them as Togera and Robo-47 from War of the Monsters until I saw the drawing. :)

You'll never know why.
<_< \[ ◕O ◕]/ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:51:08 pm »
Did you make the picture by any chance? It's sweet!

I did indeed, thank you...I'm working on another one as well, I'll put that up when I'm done

And for some reason I image them as Togera and Robo-47 from War of the Monsters until I saw the drawing. :)

lmao...maybe it's the name but I did too!  :D

and thank you guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it!  ;D
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]