Author Topic: Drive Benchmarks  (Read 764 times)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Drive Benchmarks
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:03:38 am »
(I wasn't sure where to put this. We need a general tech talk topic)

If you feel like posting your drive benchmarks I used Crystal Disk Mark to test.

Anyway, like I have stated in earlier posts I'm going to upgrade my Eee PC 900a SSD.
Well, the drive should arrive today, so I thought I would post some benchmarks for fun/showing how much the stock SSD sucks.

So here we go

Up 1st for comparison is my Western Digital 1TB Black Hard Drive. This thing is a beast, with 32MB of cache and spins at 7200 RPM:

Not bad at all. The main thing you want to look at is the 1st bar, since I think that's what drives are measured in. (sequential read/write speed at 100MB)

Next up is my run of the mill hard drive that came with my computer. It's 750gigs, but that's all that is going for it:

As you can see, this hard drive is about half the speed on my black drive.

Now on to the slow SSD:

Man, that is dog slow, but the funny thing is that normal read and the random read are almost the same since it's flash based.

I'll post the new SSD speeds once I get it up and running.
(One thing to consider with these results is that I'm using 2 different computers, so that may skew the data a little. However, they are all SATA dives)

*Edit*

Ok, so I got the new drive, and ghosted the image back on. Here are the benchmarks:

As you can see it's a major improvement to the speeds. I didn't get the even faster 16gig version that claims 150MB/s read and 100MB/s write.
It has made a major difference in speed. I clocked it in at 25 second start up.

So in conclusion, stock drives be them HD or SSD suck  :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:58:21 pm by Fink »