Author Topic: Heroes of Newerth - Another DotA clone  (Read 8183 times)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
Heroes of Newerth - Another DotA clone
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:39:19 am »
So, the people that made Savage (and Savage 2!), the hybrid FPS RTS, are making a DotA-clone (with an emphasis on clone). Their website is a little bare-bones, but their Facebook page has a few screenshots and a video. It's currently in closed beta and I have 2 extra keys. If anyone is a DotA fan and wants to try this out, send me a message with your email address and I'll send it to ya. Note that it is under an NDA, so you can't talk about it publicly. If I were in the beta, I wouldn't be able to talk about it, but if I were in it, I would say it's really good even in its current state.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes of Newerth - Another DotA clone
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:51:06 am »
AOTHER ONE??

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »
AOTHER ONE??

Yep! So that makes Demigod, League of Legends, and Heroes of Newerth all being based off DotA. It's like the new Counter-Strike.

EDIT: The NDA has been changed so that we can talk about this game. Well, It's exactly like DotA, except with a new engine and interface, etc. And I mean EXACTLY like DotA. Many of the heroes are exactly the same as their DotA counterparts (with new models and themes, of course) along with all the items and the map. It's also really fun, even for being a beta. I can't wait for it to be finished!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:03:51 pm by MetallicDragon »

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:41:08 pm »
God damned Facebook >_>

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
  • I wont stab you... or will i?
    • View Profile
    • Summoners Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:48 am »
I became a fan for the beta key :P

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17:19 am »
This game is really fun. I played 3 5v5 games and had a blast. Except for the 2nd one becuase 3 people bailed and we were arse raped.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 05:02:57 am »
Sorry for the DP.

This game is full of ***holes already. It's in beta and already the community is full of snobby DoTA pricks. I just did a game where the first guy who died was tried to be votekicked.
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline Spartan King 95

• Omega Racer
  • Sevven Slacuo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:18 am »
DotA... Defense of the Ancients right? Something to do with warcraft?
You can probably find me, if you have pesterchum, under burningOrigins or cantankerousZealot.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:49:08 am »
Sorry for the DP.

This game is full of ***holes already. It's in beta and already the community is full of snobby DoTA pricks. I just did a game where the first guy who died was tried to be votekicked.

The thing is, a single person playing badly can mess up an entire team, and that's no fun. There are options for noob only games, but if a noob doesn't play in one then the other people have every right to kick them. This breeds dickery towards newer people. There are a lot of jerks too, though; when someone actually DOES ask for help, people don't usually provide it.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:31:59 am »
So DD whats ur hero of choice?
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline Ghidoran

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Ghidoran's Diablo 3 Fansite
Heroes of Newerth: Pretty damn good.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »
I got into Heroes of Newerth recently, and I find that it's quite fun. I've never played DotA, however I did have quite a bit of experience with Demigod(an awesome game, make sure you try it), so I kinda knew how things worked.

When I first tried it, I sucked. Even now, I suck. It has a pretty big learning curve. However, once you play a few games and get some experience, it starts to pick up. Now, I can actually win games. It's quite fun, especially if you like games like that. Arena based team RPG, with some RTS elements. The hero and item selection is massive(though this contricutes to the learning curve  :-\), and the maps are large and have many  options for maneuvering. Overall I find it's extremely addictive.

There's some problems, some slightly unbalanced heroes, but it's not that much of a problem. Community's kinda harsh though, DotA elitists and whatnot. But I survived, won a few games, and since I'm a horrible player I'm guessing other people will do even better  ;D

I recommend people try it. Try playing as Arachna, I find she's pretty good to start with.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

best spore game http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=926714&topic=43989778

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes of Newerth: Pretty damn good.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »
First of all, use search first, and second, you should mention that it's still in closed beta.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »
So, this game is getting close to open beta and the NDA has been lifted. If anyone wants to try it out, I have a bunch of keys I can give away, if anyone wants them. It's a really good game and very polished for being in beta.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 05:14:50 pm »
I got like 30 keys but I don't play it anymore. It is really fun though.
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:40 am »
Can you pm me a key please :p i feel like trying it.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1