Author Topic: 2012  (Read 11062 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: 2012
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 05:12:17 pm »
So apparently this movie has mutated particles.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »
IIRC, they were neutrinos from the sun that, once hitting the Earth, in such massive numbers that they were, mutated, forming a particle that acted upon the Earth's inner crust like microwaves, baking it away, freeing the crust to shift around, and volcanoes to erupt.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »
Oh yeah, Neutrinos totally do stuff like that all the time.

OH WAIT.

Neutrinos, they are very small.
They have no charge and have no mass
And do not interact at all.
The earth is just a silly ball
To them, through which they simply pass,
Like dustmaids down a drafty hall
Or photons through a sheet of glass.
They snub the most exquisite gas,
Ignore the most substantial wall,
Cold shoulder steel and sounding brass,
Insult the stallion in his stall,
And, scorning barriers of class,
Infiltrate you and me. Like tall
And painless guillotines they fall
Down through our heads into the grass.
At night, they enter at Nepal
And pierce the lover and his lass
From underneath the bed—you call
It wonderful; I call it crass.

—John Updike
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »
heh.

What DO neutrinos do then?

Oh, and who knows what they would do in such high numbers they were said to be in in the movie. They said that it was and EXTREMELY high amount, waaaay more than we've ever encountered.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
It's still completely wrong, and the common pseudo-science used to explain the movies to the average moviegoer but leave the thinkers with a "durr they don't do that" feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino <- Will explain it better than I ever will.

Most neutrinos passing through the Earth emanate from the Sun, and more than 50 trillion solar electron neutrinos pass through the human body every second.
This is the part you'd want to look at.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
The jews also predicted 2012 as an Apocalyptic year too. I learned that on the History Channel. All I think that's gonna happen is that there's gonna be a 35 year-long war in the middle east involving another jewish persecution/holocaust. NOT the end of the world. (worse than a holocaust)

We Did? Damn it people, you have to start telling me these things! I don't want to look uninformed when I go to the meetings...

Anyway I just thought I'd post a link to an extended scene from the movie they put out. (Spoiler alert...maybe...I'm not sure if there are any relevant plot points in here, mostly just a lot of special effects and wry one liners. I mean I doubt its that much of a spoiler to let people know a lot of things get destroyed):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJpOP6jjh8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJpOP6jjh8</a>
I don't know. In my opinion the special effects are well done, but something about the dialogue seems...off. I can't completely figure out what it is, but something about the pacing or how the one liners are placed...I'm not sure.

Oh and from what I've read John Cusack plays a writer who is at first skeptical of the events in the movie and then becomes... less skeptical
I imagine it will be an experience comparable to other movies in which John Cusack plays a writer who is at first skeptical of the events in the movie and then becomes... less skeptical
(Alright, honestly I really like John Cusack movies, including those ones, and Grosse Point Blank. I'm just screwing around.)
Edit: Just to be clear I haven't seen the full movie yet. Only the trailer and that 5 minute scene.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:51:53 am by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline flabe

• Sea Battler
  • .___.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »
Huh. I liked this movie, but it was rather disappointing. They kill waaaaay too many characters which persisted a bit too long to be killed. Like that stepdad guy. And the Russian dude and his... girlfriend?.
yea, did they really have to kill off so many characters? the russian blond? like, three different families getting a last call from their old friend/estranged father? I understand killing the ass-holes, but really? its too much

Barack Obama (?)'s actor was completely wrong, he didn't look, sound, or really seem to act like him. I'm not sure it was even him, I seem to remember he might have been referred to as "president Wilson" at one point.
well, there ya go. it wasnt supposed to be Barack.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:39:19 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 01:34:34 pm »
Particles don't mutate!
No way dude, you're trolling me.